News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Counties referred to like cities

Started by empirestate, March 24, 2021, 08:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Tangentially related...  I once knew a woman from Ramona (CA) who always referred to the business below as "the N. A. P. A."–because, she said, Napa is a wine-producing region of California, not an auto parts store.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2021, 03:24:40 PM
Tangentially related...  I once knew a woman from Ramona (CA) who always referred to the business below as "the N. A. P. A."–because, she said, Napa is a wine-producing region of California, not an auto parts store.

Their 2016 5w-30 is to die for.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2021, 03:24:40 PM
Tangentially related...  I once knew a woman from Ramona (CA) who always referred to the business below as "the N. A. P. A."—because, she said, Napa is a wine-producing region of California, not an auto parts store.

Surprisingly, she’s technically correct: NAPA stands for the National Automotive Parts Association.

Of course, she’s being unnecessarily pedantic. Which means she’d probably fit in well on this forum.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Morris and Essex in NJ both are often referred to as Morris, NJ (not the township within it either) and Essex, NJ I have heard.  Bergen County, NJ is another one.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DandyDan

I knew people from when I lived in the Omaha area that referred to Sarpy County simply as Sarpy, although I don't think it was common.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on March 25, 2021, 10:51:55 PM
Morris and Essex in NJ both are often referred to as Morris, NJ (not the township within it either) and Essex, NJ I have heard.  Bergen County, NJ is another one.

Just yesterday I heard someone refer to Fairfield, which I assumed to be Fairfield County in Connecticut. Now that I think about it, it may have been referring to the university, or even the city of Fairfield. What's interesting in this case is that although the county shares its name with a place it contains, and despite the fact that CT counties are all but defunct, the phrase "Fairfield, CT" does tend to evoke the county before it does the city. (This because it identifies that part of the state that's suburban to New York, as opposed to being in the separate region of New England.)

Thing 342

Gloucester County in Hampton Roads is generally referred to as just Gloucester, as if it were a contiguous city (with the Gloucester Point or Gloucester Courthouse areas requiring specific usage).

York County is always referred to as a county, but its small size and lack of distinct identifiable communities save for Yorktown make it feel like a single city. (Everything south of the Naval Weapons Station uses a Yorktown mailing address IIRC)

bing101

El Dorado, County CA gets named like a city even though it's technically a county east of Sacramento.
Also I heard of Tuolumne and Alpine counties get discussed like they were cities though.

interstatefan990

Manhattan is technically New York County, so if someone said "New York" ' in reference to Manhattan, they wouldn't be wrong even if it almost always means the city.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

empirestate

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 27, 2021, 04:35:38 PM
Manhattan is technically New York County, so if someone said "New York" ' in reference to Manhattan, they wouldn't be wrong even if it almost always means the city.

This one is interesting, for although people almost always are referring to the city, they are often only thinking of New York County and not the other four boroughs. On the other hand, when people say "The Bronx, NY" they are definitely thinking of the borough and not the county!

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on March 24, 2021, 08:02:10 PM
So on the news this evening, the anchor handed off to a reporter on the scene in "Westchester, New York"–that is, somewhere in Westchester County. It occurred to me that it's not uncommon for Westchester to be referred to this way, as if it's the name of a city or town. But when I tried to think of another county where this is the case, I couldn't.

Are there other counties that are commonly referred to by only their "first" name in a City, State format, without appending "county" (or "parish" or whatever)? I thought of Miami-Dade as one potential answer, but I'm not sure how prevalent that usage is.

(We would, of course, exclude cases where a city or town has the same name as its county, like Los Angeles or the Bronx.)

Quote from: amroad17 on March 31, 2021, 01:31:45 AM
Miami-Dade.

** Did not read the OP **
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 09:49:27 AM
Quote from: empirestate on March 24, 2021, 08:02:10 PM
... Are there other counties that are commonly referred to by only their "first" name in a City, State format, without appending "county" (or "parish" or whatever)? I thought of Miami-Dade as one potential answer, but I'm not sure how prevalent that usage is.

Quote from: amroad17 on March 31, 2021, 01:31:45 AM
Miami-Dade.

** Did not read the OP **

Or maybe just confirming that it is, in fact, used prevalently.

roadman65

Quote from: empirestate on March 31, 2021, 01:26:51 AM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 27, 2021, 04:35:38 PM

This one is interesting, for although people almost always are referring to the city, they are often only thinking of New York County and not the other four boroughs. On the other hand, when people say "The Bronx, NY" they are definitely thinking of the borough and not the county!

Also when people refer to places in Queens they use the neighborhood of that borough unlike the 3 other boroughs outside Manhattan that consider their borough name to be a city name.  Most people treat Flushing as a town rather than part of Queens or NYC.

The post office uses neighborhood names rather than borough names for zip codes. Citifield for example, is considered to be in the postal community of Flushing rather than Queens unlike Coney Island in Brooklyn that uses Brooklyn as its postal community for its residents and stores.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jemacedo9

The Philly news agencies often refer to Montgomery County PA as "Montco" and Delaware County PA as "Delco".  But only those two counties.  And that doesn't exactly fit the OP since "co" is "county" shortened.  But sometimes they refer to the towns and townships within and sometimes not.  To add to that, there is a Springfield Twp in each of Montco and Delco, but those are referred to as full names:  "Springfield, Montgomery County" and "Springfield, Delaware County".

kphoger

Quote from: jemacedo9 on March 31, 2021, 01:39:05 PM
The Philly news agencies often refer to Montgomery County PA as "Montco" and Delaware County PA as "Delco".  But only those two counties.  And that doesn't exactly fit the OP since "co" is "county" shortened.  But sometimes they refer to the towns and townships within and sometimes not.

Then there's the town of Claycomo (MO), which is sort of the opposite.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

The Philly news agencies often refer to Montgomery County PA as "Montco" and Delaware County PA as "Delco".  But only those two counties.  And that doesn't exactly fit the OP since "co" is "county" shortened.  But sometimes they refer to the towns and townships within and sometimes not.  To add to that, there is a Springfield Twp in each of Montco and Delco, but those are referred to as full names:  "Springfield, Montgomery County" and "Springfield, Delaware County".

And folks in Raleigh now refer to Johnston County as "Joco".  It's a popular nickname that if you type "Joco" into your browser, the official county website pops up.

Not a nickname, but Durham County officially brands itself as "DCo", with the D and C interlocked.  It's weird seeing this logo taking up the entire side of the new ambulances.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 31, 2021, 07:38:29 PM
And folks in Raleigh now refer to Johnston County as "Joco".  It's a popular nickname that if you type "Joco" into your browser, the official county website pops up.

The Johnson County in my state sometimes gets called that, and it's partly because Kansas uses a system unique two-letter abbreviations for each county, often the first two letters of the name.  Wyandotte County also gets called "WyCo."
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 31, 2021, 08:45:51 PM

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 31, 2021, 07:38:29 PM

The Johnson County in my state sometimes gets called that, and it's partly because Kansas uses a system unique two-letter abbreviations for each county, often the first two letters of the name.  Wyandotte County also gets called "WyCo."

They don't want to follow the example of Missouri locations Taneycomo and Claycomo, and call themselves Wycoks?   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on March 31, 2021, 10:30:07 AM
Also when people refer to places in Queens they use the neighborhood of that borough unlike the 3 other boroughs outside Manhattan that consider their borough name to be a city name.  Most people treat Flushing as a town rather than part of Queens or NYC.

The post office uses neighborhood names rather than borough names for zip codes. Citifield for example, is considered to be in the postal community of Flushing rather than Queens unlike Coney Island in Brooklyn that uses Brooklyn as its postal community for its residents and stores.

Yes, and that, I assume, is because Queens County was more recently a collection of separate towns and villages than Kings County, as Brooklyn was a city in its own right before being consolidated with New York.

Bronx is another story, though–it was at one point a borough within New York County, so perhaps at that time the idea of it being a standalone postal city came into being. But I feel like that actually happened much more recently...

The Philly news agencies often refer to Montgomery County PA as "Montco" and Delaware County PA as "Delco".  But only those two counties.  And that doesn't exactly fit the OP since "co" is "county" shortened.

Hmm, well, would you introduce yourself as being from Montco, PA or Delco, PA? (Or put it in the byline of a national news report?) If so, it could still fit.

Scott5114

I see people refer to "Cleveland" without putting "County" after it a lot, but everyone who does that seems to think it snows a lot here, that our lake is polluted, and we have a lot of closed down factories, for some reason.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

michravera

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 24, 2021, 10:57:38 PM
I'd argue Napa and Sonoma refer more to the counties than the cities. 

Chris
But there are cities of those names. There is also a Marin City and a city called Orange in California. Many, if not most, other counites in California have eponymous cities, sometimes not in the county. Yuba City, for instance, in in Sutter, not Yuba, county. Placerville is in El Dorado, not Placer, county.

empirestate

Quote from: michravera on April 03, 2021, 02:50:37 AM

Chris
But there are cities of those names. There is also a Marin City and a city called Orange in California. Many, if not most, other counites in California have eponymous cities, sometimes not in the county. Yuba City, for instance, in in Sutter, not Yuba, county. Placerville is in El Dorado, not Placer, county.

I mean, it's possible that kind of thing could count, if there's no question that the county name is being used to refer to a location completely distinct from the eponymous city (or one outside the city but nevertheless known by the name of the city; i.e., its metro area). For example, if someone from Needles or Baker or Barstow would be likely to say "I'm from San Bernardino, California," then I should think that would be an example, despite the fact that there's a city of San Bernardino elsewhere in that immense county.

michravera

Quote from: empirestate on April 03, 2021, 07:34:42 PM
Quote from: michravera on April 03, 2021, 02:50:37 AM

Chris

I mean, it's possible that kind of thing could count, if there's no question that the county name is being used to refer to a location completely distinct from the eponymous city (or one outside the city but nevertheless known by the name of the city; i.e., its metro area). For example, if someone from Needles or Baker or Barstow would be likely to say "I'm from San Bernardino, California," then I should think that would be an example, despite the fact that there's a city of San Bernardino elsewhere in that immense county.
It seems that my message was unclear. My thinking was that this type of thing would be rare or ambiguous for most counties in California (including Napa, Sonoma, Marin, and Orange and others) because of the eponymous names (both inside and outside the county). Everyone whom I have ever met from Barstow, says that they are from Barstow, rather than "San Bernardino" (with or without "County"), at least if it seems that you have anything remotely like a California accent. Everyone whom I know from Orange County says that they are from Orange County or "Oci" (often without naming their "Naninani Beach" or "Indicame Bay" city), even to those who don't have a California accent.

People from San Francisco County are allowed unambiguously not to say "county" because the city and county are coextensive. People who live in Los Angeles County often just say "Elei" even if they don't exactly live inside the city unless they specifically want to identify as being from the San Fernando Valley or Pasadena. People who live in Sacramento and Fresno counties but not actually in the cities often do the same sort of cheat. If you seem to have a California accent, they may tell you "Clovis" or "Elk Grove" in order to be more specific.

snowc

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.