News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

St Louis Soccer Stadium/64-40 Market St Exit

Started by ilpt4u, October 30, 2019, 06:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 26, 2020, 01:13:49 PM
Funny, but downsizing stadia didn't prevent Atlanta's MLS franchise from using the Falcons' new arena (Mercedes Benz Stadium) for their games....and, their crowd support actually outdid the Falcons last year.
This is off topic, but it's really a shame that Arthur Blank built a masterpiece of a stadium only for it to be half full on Falcons game days. Makes you wonder where he got the money to build that thing.

skluth

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 25, 2020, 11:33:16 PM
Quote from: X99 on February 25, 2020, 07:31:14 PM
The ramp from eastbound I-64 to 20th Street has been removed from Google Maps. The other ramps remain in place, but probably not for long.
That ramp has been removed, and Google Maps reports the other "755" /Market St ramps and 2 blocks of Pine St near the future stadium site are closed until Dec 2021

I'm guessing the 64-40 interchange designed for where MO 755 was to meet is either doomed, or at least it will be completely redesigned as the old Freeway ROW is developed as the new Soccer Stadium
MODOT is planning a complete redesign. Link

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2020, 01:17:19 PM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 26, 2020, 01:13:49 PM
Funny, but downsizing stadia didn't prevent Atlanta's MLS franchise from using the Falcons' new arena (Mercedes Benz Stadium) for their games....and, their crowd support actually outdid the Falcons last year.
This is off topic, but it's really a shame that Arthur Blank built a masterpiece of a stadium only for it to be half full on Falcons game days. Makes you wonder where he got the money to build that thing.
Shoppers at Home Depot

ilpt4u

Quote from: skluth on February 29, 2020, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on February 25, 2020, 11:33:16 PM
Quote from: X99 on February 25, 2020, 07:31:14 PM
The ramp from eastbound I-64 to 20th Street has been removed from Google Maps. The other ramps remain in place, but probably not for long.
That ramp has been removed, and Google Maps reports the other "755" /Market St ramps and 2 blocks of Pine St near the future stadium site are closed until Dec 2021

I'm guessing the 64-40 interchange designed for where MO 755 was to meet is either doomed, or at least it will be completely redesigned as the old Freeway ROW is developed as the new Soccer Stadium
MODOT is planning a complete redesign. Link
Looks like the remnants of MO 755 at the 64-40 interchange at Market St are doomed

I like the plan. Make Jefferson a full interchange, connect 22nd St over 64-40 and make it continuous north to Olive and make the 64-40 interchange serve both 22nd and Jefferson, and making Clark Ave E-W continuous across the existing interchange area

The new design should serve the Union Station area and the new Soccer Stadium and neighborhood around well

Revive 755

^ Except Jefferson, which has greater continuity should get the full access, not 22nd Street.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 29, 2020, 11:19:01 PM
^ Except Jefferson, which has greater continuity should get the full access, not 22nd Street.
From the plans, it appears Jefferson will have full access, and the Jefferson and 22nd St exits will be a Frontage Rd connected exit system, as the two are pretty short distance from each other

The Frontage Rds will give Jefferson access to 64-40 to/from the east

skluth

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 01, 2020, 03:58:34 PM
From the plans, it appears Jefferson will have full access, and the Jefferson and 22nd St exits will be a Frontage Rd connected exit system, as the two are pretty short distance from each other

I lived in STL until Summer 2018. Jefferson at I-40 is a disaster during the morning and evening rush hours with traffic on Jefferson going between I-44 and Wells Fargo (formerly AG Edwards) at Market. This will only get worse once the new NGA campus opens in two years at Jefferson and Cass. The new exit should allow some of the traffic to NGA to divert onto 22nd and prevent a total traffic catastrophe. Adding a DDI at I-40 and Jefferson would help this project (though not as much as getting rid of the cross-traffic at Clark, especially the UPS traffic), but AFAIK that's not in the plans.

adt1982

Quote from: skluth on March 01, 2020, 08:26:44 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 01, 2020, 03:58:34 PM

I lived in STL until Summer 2018. Jefferson at I-40 is a disaster during the morning and evening rush hours with traffic on Jefferson going between I-44 and Wells Fargo (formerly AG Edwards) at Market. This will only get worse once the new NGA campus opens in two years at Jefferson and Cass. The new exit should allow some of the traffic to NGA to divert onto 22nd and prevent a total traffic catastrophe. Adding a DDI at I-40 and Jefferson would help this project (though not as much as getting rid of the cross-traffic at Clark, especially the UPS traffic), but AFAIK that's not in the plans.

I-40?

ilpt4u

^^^^^Pretty sure that is supposed to reference I-44, which just west of Downtown STL, pretty much runs parallel to 64-40 for a few miles about a mile or two to the south of 64-40, before it breaks to the Southwest on its way to Springfield, MO then Tulsa, OK

The congestion described on Jefferson is part of the reason the MO 755 Freeway was proposed back in the day, and why the 55/44/Truman Pkwy as well as the 64-40/Market St Interchanges are designed the way they are, although as this thread points out, thanks to a new MLS Franchise and Stadium, not much longer for the 64-40/Market St Interchange

MO 755 was basically supposed to be a just west-to-north of Downtown Freeway Connector from 44-55 up to I-70. The route it would have taken, yeah I can see why it was cancelled. Truman Pkwy/18th St would be a little more useful if it had an Interchange @ 64-40, but I don't see that happening any time soon

skluth

Re I-40. Oops. That should be I-64. I'm used to just referring to them as 40 and 44. (At least most of the oldtimers who pronounced it fahr-tee have died off.) But Jefferson at 40/64 is a disaster at rush hour.

ilpt4u

Update here. MoDOT will close 64-40 downtown/between the PSB and Jefferson Ave to remove the Overpass for the Flyover from Pine St of the cancelled MO 755/64-40 Interchange this weekend. Closure begins Aug 14th/Friday night at 8

For old time's sake, the STL Post-Dispatch online article refers to 64-40 simply as "Highway 40"

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/illinois/all-lanes-of-highway-40-to-close-in-downtown-st-louis-this-weekend-stan-span/article_89737c28-aad5-52f5-ac83-2ceb68c65ba8.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

The same article also mentions work on the Stan Span/I-70 bridge to repair some of the bridge cables damaged in a car fire. Eastbound lane closures from today Aug 12 thru Friday Aug 14

Sani

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 12, 2020, 01:01:45 PMFor old time's sake, the STL Post-Dispatch online article refers to 64-40 simply as "Highway 40"

I know MoDOT made a big push to get everyone on board with calling it I-64 during and after the reconstruction project, and the Post-Dispatch stuck to their guns on their in-house style guide and kept referring to it as Highway 40. I'm a little surprised they haven't given up on that yet, though. Oh well, I guess it's the St. Louis way to sit stubborn as change passes you by.  :)

Sani

Also, something I noticed on the MoDOT page about the rebuild project:

What is the problem?
The section of I-64 in St. Louis City between 21st Street and Compton is one of the last sections of the interstate that remains as the original interstate construction from the late 1950s and early 1960s.

But... it wasn't an interstate when that section was built.

ilpt4u

The Post-Dispatch's website has posted a story about the overpass being removed on Saturday Aug 15:
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/pine-street-bridge-highway-40-interstate-64-in-st-louis-torn-down/collection_2c984770-d6ed-534d-a4aa-af50553799bb.html#1 At least this time the Post-Dispatch recognized the roadway as "Highway 40 (Interstate 64)"

Multiple pictures on the website published with the story, both of the Overpass removal process, in addition to work at the Soccer Stadium site. I'll direct post one with the bridge demolished over the Freeway lanes. Photos from the article, as well as the story itself, are all credited to David Carson dcarson@post-dispatch.com

rte66man

A couple of thoughts:

• It isn't clear from the PDF how the WB entrance from Jefferson merges with 64 before the Market St exit ramp. That looks like an extremely short merge area that will cause massive weaving.
  • I hope the City takes out the Market St bridge next to the soccer stadium site before they start with infill.
  • I agree with Revive755, Jefferson should have been the fill interchange (IMO a SPUI) with 22nd St being the secondary. I can only assume the reason they didn't is the soccer stadium.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Revive 755

Quote from: rte66man on August 16, 2020, 09:20:32 AM
A couple of thoughts:

• It isn't clear from the PDF how the WB entrance from Jefferson merges with 64 before the Market St exit ramp. That looks like an extremely short merge area that will cause massive weaving.

The WB exit to 3000 Market Street and the EB entrance from Ewing are being removed.  Might still be some weaving issues with the WB exit to Grand Avenue and Forest Park Avenue.

Sani

The Facebook Group "Missouri's Historic Highways" posted photos from the early 1960s showing the construction of Highway 40 from the Poplar Street Bridge to Market Street. Interestingly, the original plans for the "North-South Distributor" showed ramps on either end connecting 21st and 22nd.

STLmapboy

I drove down to the arch today. Here are some photos from the Chestnut/20th intersection.

Partway demolished flyover ramp from Pine to 64 EB

General earth-moving and preparation activity

Grading and supports for the 22nd St ramps

For a review, a map of the project is here.

Bonus at the Tamm overpass
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

adt1982

Flickr says all the images in your post are private.

STLmapboy

Quote from: adt1982 on November 19, 2020, 10:47:44 PM
Flickr says all the images in your post are private.
Changed it. Should be available.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CtrlAltDel

The project appears to be coming along. The structure of the stadium in particular looks to be nearly finished.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ilpt4u

It is further along than that. I didn't take pictures last time I was in town, but it is coming together nicely. The new 22nd St interchange is also coming together

ilpt4u

Saw a 360 drone photo of the new soccer stadium area on Facebook. The new 64/40 interchanges are visible if turning to south, also

I'm not even going to try to insert a 360/movable picture here
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=684904716325076&id=100044166620710

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.