News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Proposed US 412 Upgrade

Started by US71, May 22, 2021, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: edwaleni on October 31, 2022, 08:00:08 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 29, 2022, 09:02:48 AM
Quote from: rte66man on October 28, 2022, 07:09:38 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on October 20, 2022, 07:27:44 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 19, 2022, 08:37:49 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on October 19, 2022, 08:30:26 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 03, 2022, 07:34:03 PM
^^^ that bullshit came at the expense of further neglecting one of the busiest interchanges in the state. What a joke.

Help me out, which one got neglected?
I-35/I-240 interchange.

Thanks.

I see almost $100 million scheduled for FFY2025 for that interchange. Add in what has already been done and what is scheduled for this year and that is a good chunk of change. How is that neglect? I agree its not as fast as I would prefer but it isn't neglect.
I don't know how to further explain myself. This interchange should have been finished 10 years ago. They keep kicking the can down the road. To me that's neglect.

Looks like they want to build a flyover.
Two flyovers and two cloverleafs with a managed C/D system. Basically a near copy of the I-235/I-44 interchange.

MikieTimT

Are there any plans at all to address the west end of the Cherokee Turnpike and the Neosho/Grand River crossing?  That looks like it will require either another bridge altogether, or a complete rebuild with interchange for the industrial park on the west side of the river.  Nothing in any of the plans listed above seems to have anything about it.

swake

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 01, 2022, 08:38:46 AM
Are there any plans at all to address the west end of the Cherokee Turnpike and the Neosho/Grand River crossing?  That looks like it will require either another bridge altogether, or a complete rebuild with interchange for the industrial park on the west side of the river.  Nothing in any of the plans listed above seems to have anything about it.

There's $1.5 million for bridge rehab in 2023 and $500,000 for intersection modification in 2024. That doesn't look like enough money unless they are just removing access. The main access to the industrial park is on US-69 not US-412.

Bobby5280

The US-412 bridge over the Neosho River looks like it can just get under the radar as far as Interstate standards go. The right shoulders on the bridge are certainly big enough. The inner left shoulders measure 4-5 feet width. I have a feeling the higher ups might let that slide. They don't need a full lane width on the inner left shoulder.

The immediate intersection on the West side of the river (OK-412B) may have to be grade separated with no exit ramps at all. There's no room. I can see ODOT building a new 2-lane access road parallel to US-412 over to the N4335/US-412 intersection where there is more space for a standard diamond shaped exit. Really they may have to build at least one 2-lane parallel access road from OK-412B out to the US-69 interchange, if not just build a pair of flanking frontage roads. Or they could do a mix of both to minimize property takings. Still, I see no reason to replace that Neosho River bridge.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 02, 2022, 10:48:35 PM
The US-412 bridge over the Neosho River looks like it can just get under the radar as far as Interstate standards go. The right shoulders on the bridge are certainly big enough. The inner left shoulders measure 4-5 feet width. I have a feeling the higher ups might let that slide. They don't need a full lane width on the inner left shoulder.

The immediate intersection on the West side of the river (OK-412B) may have to be grade separated with no exit ramps at all. There's no room. I can see ODOT building a new 2-lane access road parallel to US-412 over to the N4335/US-412 intersection where there is more space for a standard diamond shaped exit. Really they may have to build at least one 2-lane parallel access road from OK-412B out to the US-69 interchange, if not just build a pair of flanking frontage roads. Or they could do a mix of both to minimize property takings. Still, I see no reason to replace that Neosho River bridge.

They should still address both ends of the Cherokee Turnpike so that it doesn't reduce speeds so far and stripe both carriageways for 2 lanes each to continue onto US-412.  Alt-412 should be nothing more than a standard exit on both ends of the turnpike with a standard entrance ramp.  May need some geometry changes to facilitate maintaining standard expressway speeds.

swake

Here is Oklahoma's grant application to upgrade US-412 to an Interstate highway between I-44 and the Cherokee Turnpike. it's a $140 million project to add 8 interchanges, 6 additional bridges and repaving.

Design work is underway with general construction to take place starting in 2025 and ending in 2028.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/progress-and-performance/federal-grant-awards/mpdg-grants/mpdg-2022/us-412_priority_improvements_for_interstate_designation.html

Scott5114

The map prominently including Congressional district boundaries is a good tell for who the target audience is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sprjus4

The fact they had an 80 mph freeway with a 40 foot median with zero barrier to begin with is crazy...

Bobby5280

Obviously they were gambling, seeing if they could procrastinate as long as possible without a grisly head-on collision happening in the meantime.

Plutonic Panda

Open house with a survey on June 6th

QuoteDescription
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) are initiating a Planning and Environmental Linkages (PEL) Study of U.S. 412. The study is being performed in coordination with the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).  The PEL Study limits are from I-35 in Noble County, Oklahoma to I-49 in Benton County, Arkansas, a distance of 190 miles. The overarching goal is to develop a master plan to support the transition from a U.S. Highway to an interstate, in accordance with the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA).
ODOT and ARDOT anticipate incorporating recommendations made as part of the PEL Study into future National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) studies, per Title 23 of the U.S. Code, Part 168.

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects0/public-meetings-and-hearings0/public-meetings-and-hearings/20230606.html

BigOkie

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 09, 2023, 03:40:09 PM

QuoteDescription
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) are initiating a Planning and Environmental Linkages (PEL) Study of U.S. 412. The study is being performed in coordination with the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).  The PEL Study limits are from I-35 in Noble County, Oklahoma to I-49 in Benton County, Arkansas, a distance of 190 miles. The overarching goal is to develop a master plan to support the transition from a U.S. Highway to an interstate, in accordance with the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA).
ODOT and ARDOT anticipate incorporating recommendations made as part of the PEL Study into future National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) studies, per Title 23 of the U.S. Code, Part 168.

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-and-projects0/public-meetings-and-hearings0/public-meetings-and-hearings/20230606.html

Hmm...I might have to attend that.

The Ghostbuster

I suppose it is too soon for them make a decision on what number the US 412 corridor will get. Hopefully, it will be decided within 5 to 10 years.

Bobby5280

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 09, 2023, 07:02:39 PM
I suppose it is too soon for them make a decision on what number the US 412 corridor will get. Hopefully, it will be decided within 5 to 10 years.

Didn't another thread get in trouble for trying to publicly predict the i-name for a highway not built?

I think the mod interceded and asked everyone to halt.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on May 10, 2023, 12:35:44 PM

Didn't another thread get in trouble for trying to publicly predict the i-name for a highway not built?

Can't make me change my avatar, though!

MikieTimT

Quote from: BigOkie on May 09, 2023, 06:15:27 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 09, 2023, 03:40:09 PM

QuoteDescription

Hmm...I might have to attend that.

Wonder if they'll have one in Arkansas as well.

Plutonic Panda

^^^ at some point they'll have to as that will be the most expensive and challenging section to build.

bugo

Well that's fucking stupid. Aaroads has a reputation for over moderation that extends past the road community. There's a reason forums are dying (partially replaced by Facebook groups for the time being). Too many power hungry moderators.

Scott5114

I have no memory of that happening, but if it was something I did, I'd be happy to comment on my thought process if given a link.

(Good luck getting Facebook staff to do that...)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: bugo on May 10, 2023, 07:03:07 PM

Well that's fucking stupid. Aaroads has a reputation for over moderation that extends past the road community. There's a reason forums are dying (partially replaced by Facebook groups for the time being). Too many power hungry moderators.

Given how long you've complained about this, I find your perception exaggerated and your implication that this forum will die to be unfounded.

Despite all this kind of hyperbole, AARoads trods on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

edwaleni

It was over in one of the threads in Texas about some road in or around Corpus Christi I believe,

Since no one, TxDOT, ASHTO, FHA had any documentation on what the i-name of the road might/should be, the mod said the discussion should be moved to fictional.

The mods position (if I remember) was that these were just documents for feasibilities and public feedback. No funding or direction had been defined therefore any naming was wholesale speculation.

triplemultiplex

A forum like AARoads won't mine your private data to sell shit, though.  So they are better for society.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SectorZ

Aaroads has a reputation for over moderation that extends past the road community

I would argue that AA Roads has no reputation for anything outside of the road community.

splashflash

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2023/may/21/input-sought-on-fiture-interstate-designation-for/?appnews

SILOAM SPRINGS -- The Arkansas Department of Transportation is working jointly with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to conduct a study of U.S. 412 between Interstate 35 in Oklahoma and Interstate 49 in Arkansas.

The study is part of congressionally mandated legislation to convert U.S. 412 into an interstate highway.

An in-person, public meeting will be held 4-7 p.m. June 8 at John Brown University Simmons Great Hall, at 2000 W. University St. in Siloam Springs.

The U.S. 412 Planning and Environmental Linkages Study website will be available June 7 at www.ardot.gov/publicmeetings.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.