News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Areas underrepresented for meets

Started by getemngo, September 30, 2013, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Quote from: Steve on October 02, 2013, 09:59:17 PM
I'm also tossing around a Portland or other Oregon meet with Doug, since I'll be out there sometime next year. There are old bridges and modern construction.

And of course, I'm out in Oregon every year, usually just for a week for my vacation.  I'll have to brainstorm, do some research and consult with people who live in or around Oregon about what works best.  I'm most familiar with Portland or Salem.  We had a meet in Portland in 2009, but I wouldn't see an issue with having a return engagement in the Rose City.

getemngo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2013, 10:28:42 PM
Quote from: getemngo on October 02, 2013, 03:26:14 PM
There's still a lot happening with US 31 in the coming years immediately south of South Bend, and north of Indianapolis. Perhaps Brandon can do the South Bend meet he suggested. I'd prefer someone with more Indiana knowledge than I to host any of these ideas, but I'll do the research and do it myself if nobody else takes the initiative.

I, personally, would be very hesitant to host a meet in an area with which I was unfamiliar. I scouted the West Virginia meet three times (not counting the evening before the meet) even though I knew the territory very well. If I knew enough about Lafayette or Kokomo, I wouldn't hesitate to host a meet, but I don't know much about that region at all so any meet I hosted there would be an epic fail.

I would certainly go on at least one scouting trip beforehand, and I'd put a couple months' worth of research into it. In fact, if I hosted, I wouldn't even hold the meet this year because I wouldn't be prepared.

Quote from: Steve on October 02, 2013, 10:48:58 PM
While we're on the topic, what counties are getting covered?

There's a pretty good answer in the meet thread already.
~ Sam from Michigan

Molandfreak

Quote from: Brandon on September 30, 2013, 05:51:13 PM
Seriously though, I've never heard of meets in the Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, or New Mexico for that matter.
As SD 100 is supposedly going to be under construction sometime in the next five years, I think a Sioux Falls meet is in order. I believe I know enough about the area to host such a meet.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on October 02, 2013, 10:48:58 PM
While we're on the topic, what counties are getting covered?

Pike, Ky., and Dickenson and Buchanan, Va. The restaurant is only a few miles away from the Floyd County, Ky. line, so it would be an easy clinch for anyone who needs it but won't be coming through there. The county line is not too far from the Double Kwik store that sells Ale-8 and Cheerwine both, which is north of the restaurant.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on October 02, 2013, 09:58:13 PM
Quote from: dgolub on October 02, 2013, 08:16:12 PM
Agreed completely.  Paralleling it on the local roads sounds cool, although most of the major roads in the area are north/south, so we might have to get creative to do east/west on local roads.  CT 106 and CT 123 might work in the areas that they go through.

Or something like this.

That gets us sight of every underpass except the Saugatuck River, which requires the use of a canoe to see from underneath (incidentally, I have done this).

...okay, yeah, that'll take too long. Gonna have to be less aggressive with the dipsy-doodling and some underpasses will not be seen. Ah well.

That works, although it will probably take a while with all the zig-zagging.  I'll propose trying to get CT 111 through Trumbull in there somewhere along the way in one direction or the other.

hbelkins

Did the oft-discussed Texarkana meet ever happen? That would have gotten both Texas and Arkansas -- and I can't remember a meet ever being in Arkansas unless the Memphis meet crossed the river.

jpi

HB- The Memphis meet did cross the river into West Memphis, AR as part of the tour, then east back into Memphis and traced our way to Sam Cooper BLVD.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on October 04, 2013, 10:20:30 PM
Did the oft-discussed Texarkana meet ever happen?

For a period of time I posted about efforts to coordinate with LaDOTD for official permission to drive I-49 North before it officially opened to the public, and I was going to base it in Texarkana in order to also drive the new AR 549 section, as well as drive I-369 ("see I-369 'child' shields over 100 miles away from their nearest 'parent' I-69 shield!"). They even sent the waiver forms to me, etc. However, there apparently has been a fairly recent reshuffling among LaDOTD management and a key decisionmaker is not comfortable even with a signed-waiver group driving it. :angry:  For that reason, my attempt has fallen through.

That said, the corridor between Texarkana and Shreveport will offer an "interstate-heavy" agenda by this time next year:

- the I-369 shields;
- probable I-49 shields in Arkansas and the ability to drive from the Texas state line to LA 1 north of Shreveport (the "last four miles" in Arkansas are currently scheduled to open Summer 2014);
- Segments J & K construction in Shreveport, including the I-49/I-220 interchange.

However, that would be a LOT of driving for one meet (and does not include any other "local interest" stuff).  Just an initial idea.  Maybe separate Shreveport and Texarkana meets.

bandit957

Cincinnati is underrepresented. The one coming up on Saturday is the first real Cincinnati roadmeet ever.

There were 2 so-called roadmeets in Cincinnati in the mid-2000s, but those don't count, because the location wasn't announced beforehand, all because of spitefulness.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 07, 2013, 09:07:00 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on October 07, 2013, 09:03:08 PMthe location wasn't announced beforehand

how the shit does that work?
Back in the day (TM), there was a Cabal (R) who sorta ruled MTR (C), and they decided who could and couldn't attend meets. When there was a thought Tim would attend, they decided to keep the location secret so that he couldn't find them. We're all a lot wiser now, and meets are held in the open. (There is an occasional invitational meet - I've held one myself)

bugo

Quote from: Steve on October 07, 2013, 09:08:58 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on October 07, 2013, 09:03:08 PMthe location wasn't announced beforehand

Back in the day (TM), there was a Cabal (R) who sorta ruled MTR (C), and they decided who could and couldn't attend meets. When there was a thought Tim would attend, they decided to keep the location secret so that he couldn't find them. We're all a lot wiser now, and meets are held in the open. (There is an occasional invitational meet - I've held one myself)

Guess what?  Tim attended the Ashland meet and the sky didn't fall, the world didn't end, and Ale-8 didn't go out of production.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on October 07, 2013, 09:12:55 PMAle-8 didn't go out of production.

Not only that, but he (and everybody else who attended) got a 6-pack to take home with them, courtesy of the meet host.

bugo

I doubt I'd like Ale-8 anyway.  I like two soft drinks, Coke (by a long shot) and Pepsi.  Some other brands of cola are pretty decent, but none are as good as Coke.  The Walmart brand is gross, as is RC.

agentsteel53

ha.  Mean Girls of MTR.

that said, I've held plenty of invitational meets.  "hey ScottO wanna go to Mexico?"

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2013, 12:24:07 PM
ha.  Mean Girls of MTR.

that said, I've held plenty of invitational meets.  "hey ScottO wanna go to Mexico?"

High school never ends.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2013, 12:24:07 PM
ha.  Mean Girls of MTR.

Didn't Carl Rogers try to plan a meet once upon a time that would have crossed the border? And wasn't it an epic fail?

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on October 08, 2013, 02:11:43 PM
Didn't Carl Rogers try to plan a meet once upon a time that would have crossed the border? And wasn't it an epic fail?

I can see him running afoul of the US authorities just by virtue of him being calrog and doing calroggy things.

jake@aaroads.com

getemngo

Yay, discussion fully derailed!  :spin:

In a weird coincidence, I found viatology.info this morning.

QuoteSo, when you see someone using the word Viatology you know that they're talking about something which is wrong. Often, very wrong. Or lots of things which are wrong.

:-D :-D :-D
~ Sam from Michigan

Laura

(There is an occasional invitational meet - I've held one myself)

Yep, same here...

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Laura

Quote from: jpi on October 09, 2013, 01:51:28 AM
Quote from: Laura Bianca on October 08, 2013, 11:06:21 PM
(There is an occasional invitational meet - I've held one myself)

Yep, same here...

Me too! :-)

Not because we have a secret club, but because through roads we've developed genuine friendships with each other, and it's easy to put together an informal, last minute meet when people are geographically close or happen to be traveling in another friend's region.

Also, in my case (wedding!) there were financial and space constraints.

Alps

bugo

Quote from: jpi on October 04, 2013, 11:28:31 PM
HB- The Memphis meet did cross the river into West Memphis, AR as part of the tour, then east back into Memphis and traced our way to Sam Cooper BLVD.

Ah, the shittiest town in Arkansas.  I hope that those of you who had never been to Arkansas before don't judge the entire state by that hellhole.

bugo

Quote from: Alps on October 07, 2013, 09:08:58 PM

Actually guys like me and Elkins ruled MTR...those losers just thought they did.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.