News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Flint1979

I honestly had this conversation with someone. I told them you can probably expect Sears to close several more stores in the next few years and I bet any money that the Saginaw Fashion Square Mall store will be on one of the next rounds of closures. This person goes on to tell me that the Saginaw store would have already been shut down if they were doing that poorly. I simply stated that they close the most non profitable stores in each round of closures and they just haven't gotten up to this store yet but I bet it'll be closing in maybe not the next round of closures but most likely the round after that. And this guy tells me that Sears is doing fine and will stay in business. I said look at Bay City, Midland, Flint, Lakeside Mall, Fairlane Mall, Southland Mall, Eastland Mall, Macomb Mall and you're telling me that a Sears is going to stay in business in Saginaw, Michigan just because you think they are doing well? I just named 8 Sears stores that have closed within the last 5 years all in Michigan.

The only place Sears was actually smart about location is Lansing. There are two malls in Lansing but instead of being in both malls or one or the other they have the Sears location about halfway in between the two malls which are located about 15 miles apart. The Lansing Sears is located next to Frandor Shopping Plaza very close to the East Lansing and Lansing city limits.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fashion Square Mall's Sears on the list and it'd be a sad day when that happens because Fashion Square Mall has been able to hold onto all of it's anchors (JCPenney, Sears and Macy's). The Macy's was originally a Hudson's and then became Marshall Field's and then Macy's after that. Both Bay City and Midland only have one anchor left (Target for Midland and JCPenney for Bay City).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 30, 2018, 10:10:39 AM
I honestly had this conversation with someone. I told them you can probably expect Sears to close several more stores in the next few years and I bet any money that the Saginaw Fashion Square Mall store will be on one of the next rounds of closures. This person goes on to tell me that the Saginaw store would have already been shut down if they were doing that poorly. I simply stated that they close the most non profitable stores in each round of closures and they just haven't gotten up to this store yet but I bet it'll be closing in maybe not the next round of closures but most likely the round after that. And this guy tells me that Sears is doing fine and will stay in business. I said look at Bay City, Midland, Flint, Lakeside Mall, Fairlane Mall, Southland Mall, Eastland Mall, Macomb Mall and you're telling me that a Sears is going to stay in business in Saginaw, Michigan just because you think they are doing well? I just named 8 Sears stores that have closed within the last 5 years all in Michigan.

The only place Sears was actually smart about location is Lansing. There are two malls in Lansing but instead of being in both malls or one or the other they have the Sears location about halfway in between the two malls which are located about 15 miles apart. The Lansing Sears is located next to Frandor Shopping Plaza very close to the East Lansing and Lansing city limits.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fashion Square Mall's Sears on the list and it'd be a sad day when that happens because Fashion Square Mall has been able to hold onto all of it's anchors (JCPenney, Sears and Macy's). The Macy's was originally a Hudson's and then became Marshall Field's and then Macy's after that. Both Bay City and Midland only have one anchor left (Target for Midland and JCPenney for Bay City).

Heh, that brings me back...I took driver's education classes at the Sears on Grand River off of US 127.  That whole shopping center was the place to go before the Eastwood Towne Center was built on Lake Lansing Road.   

LM117

Quote from: Brandon on October 30, 2018, 09:57:49 AM
Ruh-roh.

Whirlpool to Sears: We want our appliances back

QuoteBenton Harbor, Mich.-based Whirlpool, which stopped selling its branded products at Sears last year but makes appliances under Sears' Kenmore brand, asked the department store chain to return all merchandise it received in the 45 days before its Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing on Oct. 15.

In a letter filed in court last week, Whirlpool's attorney demanded that Sears "refrain from selling, disposing, or using ... for any purpose whatsoever"  the merchandise it received from the appliance-maker during that time without permission from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

:-D

They're fucked.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 30, 2018, 11:02:22 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 30, 2018, 10:10:39 AM

Heh, that brings me back...I took driver's education classes at the Sears on Grand River off of US 127.  That whole shopping center was the place to go before the Eastwood Towne Center was built on Lake Lansing Road.
It's still a decent place to go shopping but a bit old. Sears is like Michigan and Clippert I haven't been in that Sears in awhile. But honestly out of any of the Sears I've been in none of them have been busy. I walked through Genesee Valley when they were going out of business and that store was bare empty. I was in the Sears in Saginaw the other night and saw a group of 7 people and a few other people scattered throughout the store no department was busy at all.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on October 30, 2018, 09:57:49 AM
Whirlpool to Sears: We want our appliances back

I'm still kind of sour about Whirlpool.  When my wife and I first got married, we moved to a house just a few blocks from a Maytag factory in Herrin, IL.  Shortly after we moved there, Whirlpool bought out Maytag.  Then they closed two of the factories they had taken over–which just happened to be the only two union factories of the bunch.  One of them was the one by our house.  For a town of only 12,000 population, that was a huge hit.  It was pretty common after that to see someone driving around with a rear window decal of Calvin pissing on the Whirlpool logo.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 08, 2018, 04:35:41 PM
And another 40 gone, including the last one near me in Meriden, CT

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/08/sears-to-shut-40-more-stores-early-next-year.html

Another couple of Wisconsin stores bite the dust - the KMart in Cudahy (suburban Milwaukee) and the Sears at 2500 Milton Rd in Janesville.

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

There are still two in the metro Twin Cities, one each in proximity to one of the downtowns. Interestingly, the Minneapolis one faces threat not from declining sales (which from sources, it's actually still a profitable store), but from the fact that the store was built on top of a section of Nicollet Avenue, which the city of Minneapolis has repeatedly expressed a desire to raze/relocate Kmart so they can reconnect Nicollet.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

gonealookin

The KMart at 6600 Clark Road in Paradise, CA wasn't on any closure list (yet) but it's on the list of buildings that are confirmed destroyed in the Camp Fire.  It's part of a shopping center so Sears probably had a lease rather than ownership; anyway, scratch that one off the list too.

Edit:  Watching a reporter's dash cam video, that report was false and the Paradise Big K lives on.  The damage to the residences in the town is obviously appalling though so there won't be many customers when it reopens.

Pink Jazz

Looks like there will be only one Sears left in the Phoenix area after these closures - Arrowhead Towne Center.

Also, it appears that this round of closures include the first announced closures in Puerto Rico, with three Kmarts closing.

KEVIN_224

470 Lewis Avenue in Meriden, CT. In other words, Westfield Shoppingtown (mall). They already lost JC Penney a few years ago. That space later opened as the first Boscov's store in New England.

Flint1979

Metro Detroit will be down to three Sears locations left after the Allen Park location closes. They are all in the same general area as well. Westland, Livonia and Novi. Hard to imagine a metro area of roughly 4 million only has three Sears stores left.

davewiecking

In January 2018, Sears filed the federally-required notice (for businesses over 100) with the state that they would be closing the Bethesda, MD (Montgomery Mall) location in March 2018. At the last minute, they apparently reached a lease agreement (having sold this store and 2 others to the mall owner a year earlier) for another year, and told the state "never mind". In June, the mall owners announced Sears would close in March 2019. They're indeed on the newest list.

PAHighways

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 08, 2018, 04:35:41 PM
And another 40 gone, including the last one near me in Meriden, CT

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/08/sears-to-shut-40-more-stores-early-next-year.html

The axe falls on what became the closest Kmart to me after the last round of closures.

Flint1979

Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek is losing it's Sears. This mall has already lost JCPenney and Macy's the last few years and will have no anchor stores left after Sears closes.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 11, 2018, 07:01:38 PM
Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek is losing it's Sears. This mall has already lost JCPenney and Macy's the last few years and will have no anchor stores left after Sears closes.

Another one bites the dust.

jon daly

All this talk made me think about how dated the book THE MALLING OF AMERICA is. So I Googled it and the first three links are to Amazon pages. Oh, sweet irony!

abefroman329

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart_Australia

The Only Kmart I see surviving in the near future is the Australian editions of Kmart.

bing101

Flint1979

Quote from: bing101 on December 01, 2018, 07:01:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZ1EcLJ-Hs

Abandoned Kmart video
I know exactly where that Kmart was. It's the one on N. Saginaw in Mt. Morris. Flint doesn't have any Kmart's anymore and this one and the one on Dort Hwy. looked about the same. I'm trying to remember how many Kmart's Flint had but I can think of where there were about 5 of them. I knew the Kmart in the video as soon as I saw the building.

Brandon

Sears Chairman Edward Lampert bids $4.6 billion to rescue iconic retailer from bankruptcy

QuoteThe bid from Lampert's ESL Investments includes about 500 Sears and Kmart stores, headquarters and distribution centers, and Sears brands and businesses including Kenmore, DieHard and Sears Home Services.

Word of the day: vulture.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bing101

US71

I wonder if we'll see a large increase in the number of closures in the next couple weeks?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.