News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 25, 2021, 04:00:23 PM
Quote from: catch22 on September 25, 2021, 03:26:40 PM
It appears that the Marshall, Michigan Kmart is closing, per this Sears Jobs' Twitter post.  No date listed, but per other similar notices, I'd guess sometime in November.

https://twitter.com/SearsJobs/status/1441502012181385219

I think this was the last ex Sears Holdings location in the Midwest left after all the other recent closure announcements.

I was in that Kmart a few weeks ago and it didn't appear to be closing and I can't find anything online that says it's closing I wouldn't be surprised if it did but then that would leave Marshall without a Meijer, Walmart, Target and Kmart if they are closing it.

I just had to say it, but the titling the tweet "Sears Careers" is a contradiction in terms. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 25, 2021, 05:03:32 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 25, 2021, 04:00:23 PM
Quote from: catch22 on September 25, 2021, 03:26:40 PM
It appears that the Marshall, Michigan Kmart is closing, per this Sears Jobs' Twitter post.  No date listed, but per other similar notices, I'd guess sometime in November.

https://twitter.com/SearsJobs/status/1441502012181385219

I think this was the last ex Sears Holdings location in the Midwest left after all the other recent closure announcements.

I was in that Kmart a few weeks ago and it didn't appear to be closing and I can't find anything online that says it's closing I wouldn't be surprised if it did but then that would leave Marshall without a Meijer, Walmart, Target and Kmart if they are closing it.

I just had to say it, but the titling the tweet "Sears Careers" is a contradiction in terms.
I couldn't even think of where the nearest Kmart after the one in Marshall is to me. It's weird to see them all shut down now but they have turned two of them that were near me into storage units.

catch22

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 25, 2021, 05:30:42 PM
I couldn't even think of where the nearest Kmart after the one in Marshall is to me. It's weird to see them all shut down now but they have turned two of them that were near me into storage units.

Here's a list of the remaining Kmarts that someone posted on Reddit a few days ago:

Still open:
Freestanding store in Tauming, Guam
McKnight Crossing Shopping Center in Grass Valley, California
Key Plaza Shopping Center in Key West, Florida
Kendale Lakes Plaza Shopping Center in Miami, Florida
Marshall Plaza Shopping Center in Marshall, Michigan (but closing just announced, date ???)
Bitterroot Valley Shopping Center in Hamilton, Montana
Delco Plaza Shopping Center in Avenel, New Jersey
Westwood Plaza Shopping Center in Westwood, New Jersey
Bridgehampton Commons Shopping Center in Bridgehampton, New York
The Shops at Bruckner in the Bronx, New York
Bay Plaza Shopping Center in the Bronx, New York
Plaza Las America's Shopping Center in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico
Sunshine Mall in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
Sunny Isle Shopping Center in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
Tutu Park Mall in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Lockhart Gardens Shopping Center in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Closing around Nov. 14:
Crossroads Shopping Center in White Plains, New York
Brooklyn, New York Mini Store

That's all that's left.

catch22

Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 25, 2021, 05:03:32 PM

If you really want a laugh, check out their career web site.  All the appearances of a vital, thriving corporation that one should really be a part of.

"Jobs that transform [haha, I see what you did there] your career."  Yeesh.

https://jobs.sears.com/en-US/

Flint1979

Quote from: catch22 on September 25, 2021, 05:43:40 PM

Here's a list of the remaining Kmarts that someone posted on Reddit a few days ago:

Still open:
Marshall Plaza Shopping Center in Marshall, Michigan (but closing just announced, date ???)

Closing around Nov. 14:

That's all that's left.
At this point I think it's time for Kmart just to cease to exist.

I-39

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 25, 2021, 05:51:54 PM

Still open:

Closing around Nov. 14:

That's all that's left.

Yep, its only 20 or so years overdue.

Flint1979

Quote from: I-39 on September 25, 2021, 06:25:18 PM

Still open:

Closing around Nov. 14:

That's all that's left.

Even when there were stores in my area I never shopped at Kmart.

gonealookin

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 25, 2021, 07:09:10 PM

At one time, maybe late 1980s, Kmart was a go-to for certain items.  A shower curtain.  An ironing board.  Some cheap you-assemble-it furniture like a TV stand.  But that was about it for me.  Once Target opened stores in my area, Northern California at the time, Kmart's demise was inevitable.

Flint1979

Quote from: gonealookin on September 25, 2021, 07:44:30 PM

At one time, maybe late 1980s, Kmart was a go-to for certain items.  A shower curtain.  An ironing board.  Some cheap you-assemble-it furniture like a TV stand.  But that was about it for me.  Once Target opened stores in my area, Northern California at the time, Kmart's demise was inevitable.
Yeah I remember that. We had three Kmart's in Saginaw and they all did well and are all closed now of course but at one time they did well. There was one on State Street in Saginaw Township where Horizons Conference Center is now and I remember going there in the 1980's it was the place to be and shopping at A&P for groceries was pretty cool too.

I-39

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 25, 2021, 07:47:46 PM

Yeah I remember that. We had three Kmart's in Saginaw and they all did well and are all closed now of course but at one time they did well. There was one on State Street in Saginaw Township where Horizons Conference Center is now and I remember going there in the 1980's it was the place to be and shopping at A&P for groceries was pretty cool too.

Kmart was the go to discount store in the 70s/80s, but by the early 90s, Walmart overtook them in virtually every area as they built a much more efficient operation. Kmart hasn't been relevant in 20 or so years. They should have liquidated 20 years ago after the first bankruptcy, but Eddie dragged it out and had to take Sears down with them.

Flint1979

Quote from: I-39 on September 25, 2021, 07:55:54 PM

Kmart was the go to discount store in the 70s/80s, but by the early 90s, Walmart overtook them in virtually every area as they built a much more efficient operation. Kmart hasn't been relevant in 20 or so years. They should have liquidated 20 years ago after the first bankruptcy, but Eddie dragged it out and had to take Sears down with them.
Yep true. Too bad he had to take down two retailers.

bwana39

This was never a plan to actually SAVE Sears Holdings. It was a plan to drag out the closings so the buildings didn't all hit the market at once. While Sears tanked, the company that they sold the buildings to is coming out like a thief.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

I-39

Quote from: bwana39 on September 25, 2021, 11:01:37 PM
This was never a plan to actually SAVE Sears Holdings. It was a plan to drag out the closings so the buildings didn't all hit the market at once. While Sears tanked, the company that they sold the buildings to is coming out like a thief.

In the Eddie Lampert era, you are correct. But Sears could have been saved had Eddie not gotten his hands on the company and merged it with Kmart. Sears was actually in a decent position at the turn of the century when Arthur Martinez retired, but his successor Alan Lacy fumbled along between 2000-2005 and didn't have a clue on how to run the business properly, thus setting the stage for the horrible Kmart/Eddie Lampert takeover.

bwana39

Quote from: I-39 on September 25, 2021, 11:54:59 PM

In the Eddie Lampert era, you are correct. But Sears could have been saved had Eddie not gotten his hands on the company and merged it with Kmart. Sears was actually in a decent position at the turn of the century when Arthur Martinez retired, but his successor Alan Lacy fumbled along between 2000-2005 and didn't have a clue on how to run the business properly, thus setting the stage for the horrible Kmart/Eddie Lampert takeover.

Yes, I was talking solely about Eddie Lambert.

The irony is if they had held on to the catalog for a dozen or fewer years, the internet would have taken Sears with an established framework to new heights.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

I-39

Quote from: bwana39 on September 26, 2021, 12:22:50 AM
Quote from: I-39 on September 25, 2021, 11:54:59 PM

Yes, I was talking solely about Eddie Lambert.

The irony is if they had held on to the catalog for a dozen or fewer years, the internet would have taken Sears with an established framework to new heights.

Indeed, having the catalog business still around would have made the transition to e-commerce easier, but even without it, there is no excuse as to why they couldn't build up sears.com into a powerhouse. They had years to do it, but didn't invest enough $$$ into it.

kkt

The time to do that would have been the 90s, perhaps 2000-2010.  After they started spinning off the jewels among their brands - Craftsman tools, Kenmore appliances - it was too late.  Once they can't afford to keep merchandise in the stores, no one will be buying anything and there was no money for remodelling or starting a web commerce operation.  All they had left was the bones - real estate to sell off.

SectorZ

This is the most reasonable theory I've seen as to why this slow ridiculous drawn-out death is happening like this.

Flint1979

Walmart and Meijer simply have better stores than what Kmart and Sears ever had. Neglecting to remodel any of their stores or coming up with a new image is part of what killed them.

If Eddie hadn't been in the picture things could have probably been a lot better.

formulanone

Still open:

How does distribution work for stores spread that far apart? I understand there may be a need for a department store in Key West, Guam, and USVI, but what cargo airline owes Kmart that favor?

Flint1979

Quote from: formulanone on September 26, 2021, 10:17:49 AM

Still open:

How does distribution work for stores spread that far apart? I understand there may be a need for a department store in Key West, Guam, and USVI, but what cargo airline owes Kmart that favor?
I was wondering the same thing.

I-39

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 26, 2021, 10:07:22 AM
Walmart and Meijer simply have better stores than what Kmart and Sears ever had. Neglecting to remodel any of their stores or coming up with a new image is part of what killed them.

If Eddie hadn't been in the picture things could have probably been a lot better.

One of the biggest issues was Sears not having enough off-mall locations that are more convenient to customers. They needed to aggressively add more freestanding/strip mall stores as well as gradually spin off the low traffic Class B and C mall stores into freestanding locations.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on September 26, 2021, 10:17:49 AM

Still open:

Answer is probably "it doesn't, and that's why Kmart is failing".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Where was it announced that Marshall is closing? I live in the media market, so it's doubtful it would have been reported without my noticing it.

catch22

Quote from: rawmustard on September 26, 2021, 01:51:58 PM

Where was it announced that Marshall is closing? I live in the media market, so it's doubtful it would have been reported without my noticing it.

They haven't been very open about announcing closures lately, including this one.  But they are advertising for liquidation jobs in Marshall on their jobs web site, just like they have done for all the other recent closures.

GCrites

Quote from: I-39 on September 25, 2021, 07:55:54 PM

My area was slow to get both Wal-Mart and Target -- they didn't reach full saturation here until mid-late 2000s. We did have Meijer and Gold Circle (Lazarus/Federated) for that kind of stuff but there weren't that many Meijers at first and there was little time overlap with both Meijer and Gold Circle. There were also a few Harts which was a general merchandise/discount store associated with Big Bear. That meant K-Mart still had a lot of power in Central Ohio into the 2000s. Both Wal-Mart and Target didn't like that we had Meijer at all here plus all those K-Marts.

Like seriously there were maybe 2-3 Wal-Marts in the entire metro (Circleville, Hillard and ?) and 2 Targets (Lancaster and I guess Delaware? Any more at all) in 2000. None in Columbus as far as I know at that time. I will even dare say that there were more K-Marts in 1990 in the metro than there are Wal-Marts now despite the massive growth of the Columbus metro since then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.