News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Takumi

Quote from: thenetwork on April 30, 2022, 08:28:31 PM
I was working in the field this past week, and came across one of the most creative and unusual use for a former Kmart...

How about a new courthouse?

https://www.craigdailypress.com/news/trio-of-community-members-speak-in-favor-of-potential-new-courthouse-at-old-kmart-building/

Even though this article is old stating the Moffatt County Courthouse may or may not consider the old Kmart building, they officially have signs up touting the new courthouse and they are rehabbing the building as we speak.

I know of at least one that became a church.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: thenetwork on April 30, 2022, 08:28:31 PM
I was working in the field this past week, and came across one of the most creative and unusual use for a former Kmart...

How about a new courthouse?

https://www.craigdailypress.com/news/trio-of-community-members-speak-in-favor-of-potential-new-courthouse-at-old-kmart-building/

Even though this article is old stating the Moffatt County Courthouse may or may not consider the old Kmart building, they officially have signs up touting the new courthouse and they are rehabbing the building as we speak.

(to the tune of The Midnight Special)

"Let the Blue Light Special
Shine the Light of Justice on Me!"

hbelkins

The courthouse in Rowan County, Ky., was converted from a former grocery store while I was in college at Morehead State.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Big John

Quote from: Takumi on April 30, 2022, 10:28:18 PM
I know of at least one that became a church.
Thank you for praying at K-mart.

GCrites

We've got a Blue Light Special on wine and bread at the altar!

abefroman329

Quote from: GCrites80s on May 02, 2022, 10:29:09 AM
Discounts on the King of Beers, brought to you by the King of Kings!

kkt

Quote from: GCrites80s on May 02, 2022, 10:29:09 AM

:-D

Flint1979

Attention Kmart shoppers this will be the last blue light special ever. Take whatever you want.

formulanone

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 02, 2022, 01:10:11 PM
Attention Kmart shoppers this will be the last blue light special ever. Take whatever you want.

Will the last shopper please turn off the blue light before you leave?

ErmineNotyours

One former K-Mart because Lulu's Roadhouse of Kitchener, ON, with the dress code "NO JEANS" in big letters on the roadside sign.  Sadly, the Google Streetview imagery has expired from here.

D-Dey65

The nearest ex-K-Mart to me became a couple of short-lived flea markets and finally a Rural King.

Where I used to live, you had one in Middle Island and another closer to me in Farmingville. The one in Middle Island is dormant, once again, but I don't know what the one in Farmingville is now.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

I don't know.  It might be kind of cool to have a couple of them around still, kind of like an artifact of days gone by.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

snowc

Quote from: LM117 on May 04, 2022, 08:12:34 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 11, 2022, 11:50:37 AM
Down to three stores:
https://www.fox61.com/article/news/nation-world/kmart-3-stores-left/507-5526c7c0-5367-4a45-8aa5-a4ec64705b01

Might as well put 'em out of their misery now and get it over with. No sense in dragging it out at this point.
Also, Sears gotta go. They had too long to get their crap together, and they are down to 12 stores IIRC.

elsmere241

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:56:45 AM
Quote from: LM117 on May 04, 2022, 08:12:34 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 11, 2022, 11:50:37 AM
Down to three stores:
https://www.fox61.com/article/news/nation-world/kmart-3-stores-left/507-5526c7c0-5367-4a45-8aa5-a4ec64705b01

Might as well put 'em out of their misery now and get it over with. No sense in dragging it out at this point.
Also, Sears gotta go. They had too long to get their crap together, and they are down to 12 stores IIRC.

I'm reminded of a cartoon from when Sears and KMart merged:  It showed the Nickelodeon cartoon character Catdog, labeling one part as Sears and the other as KMart.

Life in Paradise

What would be more amazing than anything else is if Sears or K-Mart actually opened a new store.

bulldog1979

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 09:46:43 AM
I don't know.  It might be kind of cool to have a couple of them around still, kind of like an artifact of days gone by.

Like the last Blockbuster in Bend Oregon?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 04, 2022, 01:36:12 PM

Which is actually a really fun side attraction now.  Regarding Sears, there is still the Hometown stores which are mostly run by franchises:

https://www.searshometownstores.com/store-list

kkt

I don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.

Max Rockatansky

It was more about renting random video games and Maniac Mansion for the 27th time that I associate with Blockbuster.  Basically it's all rose tinted nostalgia at the end of the day, but that's what makes the single location in Bend nice.  They know they are catering to nostalgia at the last Blockbuster and don't have really do anything else but maintain the long dead store format. 

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 01:43:28 PM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 04, 2022, 01:36:12 PM

Which is actually a really fun side attraction now.  Regarding Sears, there is still the Hometown stores which are mostly run by franchises:

https://www.searshometownstores.com/store-list
Got one in Dunn, now on the potential chopping block.

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on May 04, 2022, 02:04:58 PMI don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.
It was nice having Blockbuster around if I wanted to watch a particular movie and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in the mail from Netflix, but said movie had to be pretty mainstream in order for Blockbuster to carry it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 04, 2022, 02:04:58 PMI don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.
It was nice having Blockbuster around if I wanted to watch a particular movie and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in the mail from Netflix, but said movie had to be pretty mainstream in order for Blockbuster to carry it.

Further back Blockbuster used to carry more obscure stuff.  That's more or less how I originally binged most monster, horror and slasher movies. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 03:48:54 PM

Further back Blockbuster used to carry more obscure stuff.  That's more or less how I originally binged most monster, horror and slasher movies.
How much further back?  I don't remember a time when Blockbuster wasn't insisting on only carrying "family-friend" [read: no homos] movies.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 03:50:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 03:48:54 PM

How much further back?  I don't remember a time when Blockbuster wasn't insisting on only carrying "family-friend" [read: no homos] movies.

1980s and 1990s.  The only real obstruction was that I had to convince one of my parents or an adult to take the "scandalous stuff"  up to the checkout.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.