News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenarmy

Are there times when "End State Maintenance" is good because the quality of the road improves?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kenarmy on May 24, 2022, 06:40:51 PM
Are there times when "End State Maintenance" is good because the quality of the road improves?
Perhaps Québec, though I've said previously that MTQ roads have gotten better.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kkt

Yes, I have seen that.  Some local road overpasses over interstates or state routes in Virginia have signs "Begin State Maintenance" where the bridge begins and "End State Maintenance" where they end, and the overpass is in rough shape.

kurumi

Yahtzee's spelling may be a little annoying, but spelling it Y-A-Z-I would be worse.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Flint1979

It happens in Michigan.

US71

I''ve seen it once or twice  here in Arkansas, but can't recall where at the moment.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JoePCool14

Who managed to get Google to add US-10 to the SS Badger ferry across Lake Michigan? I saw that for the first time tonight on Google Maps.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SkyPesos

I-35 would be the longest north-south interstate without the existence of Florida.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 31, 2022, 02:15:56 AM
I-35 would be the longest north-south interstate without the existence of Florida.

That's a fascinating way to look at it.  Seriously, it's one of those odd quirks about the shape of the United States.  For the most part it has some pretty consistent geographical features, but the East Coast is abnormally longer than the the width of the rest of the country.  It's funny how it can be pretty symmetrical and yet not symmetrical at the same time. 

kphoger

OK, who was playing Mineplex Cake Wars last night?  I was watching my son play on the TV screen, and on two occasions his character was killed by someone named alangoat05.

Roadgeekteen, was that you?
   :-/
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kphoger on May 31, 2022, 11:29:18 AM
OK, who was playing Mineplex Cake Wars last night?  I was watching my son play on the TV screen, and on two occasions his character was killed by someone named alangoat05.

That would be my kind of thing to do, but I only play on my creative singleplayer world.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

That's the official account of the fifth Grand Unified Alan of Alanland, Alan Lower Wacker.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2022, 07:05:00 PM

That's the official account of the fifth Grand Unified Alan of Alanland, Alan Lower Wacker.

QuoteOther reforms passed during this period include those to beekeeping practice, requiring a license to import dragon figurines into the country, repealing stifling regulations surrounding the sale of sole inserts for shoes, and general maintenance.
I'm scared to know what "general maintenance" entails.

But the important question: did Lower Wacker believe Illinois is flat?

Scott5114

The official position of the Alanland government has always been that Illinois is and is not flat.

Interestingly, this is the official position of the Illinois government too, so far as I know.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2022, 07:18:43 PM
The official position of the Alanland government has always been that Illinois is and is not flat.

Interestingly, this is the official position of the Illinois government too, so far as I know.

It also, upon some reflection, appears to be my position as well.
(Formerly, it was Seventh Posture.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

People still play on Mineplex?

Fun fact: I used to be a moderator on Mineplex several years back. Does that qualify me to be an AARoads forum moderator?

dlsterner

If you're standing on the North Pole (or the South Pole for that matter), what time is it?

Big John

Quote from: dlsterner on May 31, 2022, 08:30:51 PM
If you're standing on the North Pole (or the South Pole for that matter), what time is it?
Whatever you want it to be, as there is no time zone on the poles: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/639476/north-pole-facts

kkt

You could use whatever zone you want, but I personally would recomment UTC for that situation.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kkt on May 31, 2022, 08:48:55 PM
You could use whatever zone you want, but I personally would recomment UTC for that situation.

I would use DST personally.

kphoger

Easy.  Just look at your watch.

Well, actually, that's probably a lot easier in the summer than it is in the winter, due to the number of layers you're probably wearing.
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

I've just recently noticed that Houston sports teams as of late are getting really good at dumping star players off to other teams as soon as they start to age out of their primes. Examples:

Dallas Keuchel:
Used to be the Astros' star pitcher, but as soon as he left Houston, his ERA and BAA jumped massively (excepting 2020). Now he's on assignment in the minors.

James Harden:
Was the NBA MVP in Houston and is still a great player, but his stats are down, plus he's hopping from team to team and seems to be out of form.

DeAndre Hopkins:
The trade was still a horrible deal, but at least both players involved are declining. He used to be the most reliable receiver in the NFL. Last year he was hurt and now he's suspended.

JJ Watt:
When he wasn't injured, he was a beast. Now he's also injured and less of a beast.

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US71

Do people who STOP at Yield signs, YIELD at Stop signs?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US 89

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 31, 2022, 09:25:51 PM
James Harden:
Was the NBA MVP in Houston and is still a great player, but his stats are down, plus he's hopping from team to team and seems to be out of form.

I mean Harden was most effective because he was good at faking getting fouled. NBA finally changed that rule.

hotdogPi

There should be a restaurant called Jimmy Buffet – All You Can Eat Cheeseburger Paradise.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.