News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Liquor

Started by OCGuy81, May 05, 2021, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

I just always forget I made rich syrup and then my OFs are too sweet.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 06, 2022, 11:24:22 AM

Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2022, 10:46:36 AM
Has anyone tried flavored tonic in their G&T?

I really like this one with a squeeze of lime and a dash of Peychaud's bitters:

I really like their elderflower tonic. Works well when you have a less than premium gin in covering up some of the harshness.  You don't even need much lime.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I tried the elderflower tonic last night.  I do love citrus, though, so I also added plenty of lime juice.  There were about two ounces left of Bombay Sapphire in the bottle, so I started with that and then added probably one additional ounce of Tanqueray N°10–both pretty heavy on citrus, and plenty of juniper between the two, so just what I prefer.  Then some lime juice and several dashes of orange bitters.

I must say, I expected the elderflower tonic to be a lot more floral than it was.  Instead, it had quite an inoffensive flavor:  sweet and mellow.  So I was pleasantly surprised in that way.  But, perhaps for similar reasons, it left me wishing there were more flavor to hold my interest.  I'm certainly not disappointed, but I'll probably stick with the cucumber one in the future.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I've never really cared for a Negroni.  I enjoy gin or red vermouth on its own, and I enjoy Campari in various cocktails, but for some reason I don't like all three mixed together like that.  But, about a week ago, I had a variation that I enjoyed quite a bit more.

a typical Negroni recipe
1 part – gin
1 part – sweet vermouth
1 part – Campari

my take on a Cornwall Negroni
8 parts – Tanqueray N° 10 gin
4 part – Punt e Mes vermouth
1 part – Campari
1 part – Aperol
a few dashes – Fee Brothers orange bitters

This was substantially less bitter than a traditional Negroni.  Because it was 57% gin instead of only 33% gin, the flavor of the gin came through much stronger, above the flavors of the other ingredients, but the other ingredients were by no means missing.  The one thing I should have thought of earlier, but didn't until I was already halfway through the cocktail, is that the same size of this drink has 17% more alcohol.  Not a huge difference, but still noticeable.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

I tend to like mine with Aperol instead of Campari. A little less bitter.

kphoger

Next time I'm at the liquor store, I plan to try this out next:

I'm also planning to get some "regular" vermouth (dry and sweet), rather than only having Punt e Mes in the house.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Cynar is delicious. Who doesn't like an amaro made from artichokes. I like making black Manhattans with it.

kphoger

JayhawCO:

On Saturday, my sister informed me that drinks made with gin affect her more than the same drinks made with vodka.  She feels the effects more, any hangover-type aftereffects are more pronounced.  This made no sense to me, considering that gin is literally just vodka that's been flavored with juniper berries and other botanicals during distillation.  It turns out that she'd wondered that too and has read online anecdotal accounts of a lot of people saying the same thing:  gin cocktails take a heavier toll than their vodka equivalents.  Have you heard about this phenomenon?  Do you have any thoughts about it?

In related news, my most recent gin purchase was Beefeater 24.  Of course, the bottle is beautiful, which in my opinion definitely deserves a mention.  But, more importantly, it's definitely in the short list of best gins I've tried so far.  It has tasted good in every cocktail I've made with it.  It is simultaneously assertive and inoffensive:  the gin flavor shines through, no matter what other ingredients you throw at it, yet its flavor manages to complement them perfectly.  In short, it's like the standard Beefeater, but with its flavor profile rounded out a bit by some citrus and herbal notes, so it isn't 99.95% juniper.

Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

That reminds me of those experiments where they trick people into acting drunk by telling them their drinks are alcoholic when they're not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on September 06, 2022, 09:09:52 PM
JayhawCO:

On Saturday, my sister informed me that drinks made with gin affect her more than the same drinks made with vodka.  She feels the effects more, any hangover-type aftereffects are more pronounced.  This made no sense to me, considering that gin is literally just vodka that's been flavored with juniper berries and other botanicals during distillation.  It turns out that she'd wondered that too and has read online anecdotal accounts of a lot of people saying the same thing:  gin cocktails take a heavier toll than their vodka equivalents.  Have you heard about this phenomenon?  Do you have any thoughts about it?

In related news, my most recent gin purchase was Beefeater 24.  Of course, the bottle is beautiful, which in my opinion definitely deserves a mention.  But, more importantly, it's definitely in the short list of best gins I've tried so far.  It has tasted good in every cocktail I've made with it.  It is simultaneously assertive and inoffensive:  the gin flavor shines through, no matter what other ingredients you throw at it, yet its flavor manages to complement them perfectly.  In short, it's like the standard Beefeater, but with its flavor profile rounded out a bit by some citrus and herbal notes, so it isn't 99.95% juniper.

It depends if she's using a mixer and what type mixer. Carbonated beverages intoxicate people faster, so if she's drinking gin with tonic water vs drinking vodka with OJ, gin will make her drunk faster.

kphoger

Quote from: skluth on September 08, 2022, 12:23:55 PM

It depends if she's using a mixer and what type mixer. Carbonated beverages intoxicate people faster, so if she's drinking gin with tonic water vs drinking vodka with OJ, gin will make her drunk faster.

Pertinent phrases bolded.  All else being equal.
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on September 08, 2022, 12:41:16 PM
Quote from: skluth on September 08, 2022, 12:23:55 PM

Pertinent phrases bolded.  All else being equal.

Got it. I understood the same drinks part as meaning the same quantity of alcohol. Thanks for the clarification.

kphoger

Ah, gotcha.  No, I mean, for example, a vodka martini vs a real gin martini.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

I don't have many alcohol opinions yet, and may never have, but one of the few I do have is that gin >>> vodka. Vodka has almost no taste, while I find the taste of gin quite pleasant in a mixed drink.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on September 08, 2022, 07:19:51 PM
I don't have many alcohol opinions yet, and may never have, but one of the few I do have is that gin >>> vodka. Vodka has almost no taste, while I find the taste of gin quite pleasant in a mixed drink.
Psst.  By definition, vodka is tasteless.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I can taste vodka.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

I'm sure I could taste vodka by itself, but hardly in a mixed drink.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on September 08, 2022, 11:25:17 PM
Psst.  By definition, vodka is tasteless.

By definition before 2020, vodka was without a distinctive taste.  Not quite the same thing as "tasteless".

Since 2020, that's not part of the legal definition.  Flavors that have been added or blended in trigger the necessity to label the product as "flavored vodka" rather than simply "vodka", but that's not the same thing.  The base spirit is still defined as a "neutral" spirit, but neutral isn't quite synonymous with flavorless.

Quote from: Code of Federal Regulations
Title 27 – Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms

Chapter 1 – Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, Department of the Treasury

Subchapter A – Alcohol

Part 5 – Labeling and Advertising of Distilled Spirits

Subpart I – Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits

§ 5.142 – Neutral spirits or alcohol

(b) Types.  The following chart lists the types of neutral spirits and the rules that apply to the type designation.

(1) Vodka.  Neutral spirits which may be treated with up to two grams per liter of sugar and up to one gram per liter of citric acid. Products to be labeled as vodka may not be aged or stored in wood barrels at any time except when stored in paraffin-lined wood barrels and labeled as bottled in bond pursuant to § 5.88. Vodka treated and filtered with not less than one ounce of activated carbon or activated charcoal per 100 wine gallons of spirits may be labeled as "charcoal filtered."  Addition of any other flavoring or blending materials changes the classification to flavored vodka or to a distilled spirits specialty product, as appropriate. Vodka must be designated on the label as "neutral spirits,"  "alcohol,"  or "vodka" .
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

JayhawkCO:

The only thing I can really think of is that a) she might be slightly allergic to juniper or quinine (normally found in tonic but sometimes added to gin itself), b) some gins might add some sugar to the spirit to help balance out the "edge" of gin that is a little bit more persistent than vodka, or c) gin is more delicious so she's drinking more of it without realizing.  :)

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 09, 2022, 03:13:43 PM
The only thing I can really think of is that a) she might be slightly allergic to juniper or quinine (normally found in tonic but sometimes added to gin itself), b) some gins might add some sugar to the spirit to help balance out the "edge" of gin that is a little bit more persistent than vodka, or c) gin is more delicious so she's drinking more of it without realizing.  :)

Well, the first two don't apply, as their usual go-to gin is Bombay Sapphire.  At least now I can tell her that you think she's crazy.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 09, 2022, 03:29:57 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 09, 2022, 03:13:43 PM

Well, the first two don't apply, as their usual go-to gin is Bombay Sapphire.  At least now I can tell her that you think she's crazy.

Fair summary. They very well might add sugar (or glycerol) to even Sapphire for the U.S. market. Grey Goose is a vodka brand that's known to. I wonder if she's had an adverse reaction to that.

kphoger

I stocked up at the liquor store on Saturday, and either they were out of my go-to tequila or they stopped carrying it.  So, rather than purchase a different one without doing any research ahead of time, I decided to buy my first bottle of mezcal–without doing any research ahead of time.  Yeah, looking back, that might not have been the most logical decision to make.

Anyway, I bought a bottle of Xicaru, which comes from Oaxaca.  It is re-e-e-e-eally smoky.  Not quite sure how I feel about that, but I'm leaning toward not liking it very much for that reason.

Also, I bought that bottle of Cynar.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 26, 2022, 04:30:58 PM
I stocked up at the liquor store on Saturday, and either they were out of my go-to tequila or they stopped carrying it.  So, rather than purchase a different one without doing any research ahead of time, I decided to buy my first bottle of mezcal–without doing any research ahead of time.  Yeah, looking back, that might not have been the most logical decision to make.

Anyway, I bought a bottle of Xicaru, which comes from Oaxaca.  It is re-e-e-e-eally smoky.  Not quite sure how I feel about that, but I'm leaning toward not liking it very much for that reason.

Also, I bought that bottle of Cynar.

If they carry Derrumbes mezcal in Kansas, try to find the San Luis Potosí. It's not smoky at all (distilled in a copper still instead of burying the piña) and has flavors of Hatch green chile and jalapeño.

kphoger

Here's what my liquor store carries:

Agave de Cortes - Joven Mezcal
Banhez - Artesanal Mezcal Joven
Bozal Espadin - Barril Mexicano Mezcal Ensamble NV
Del Maguey - Vida Single Village Mezcal
Monte Alban - Mezcal Con Gusano
Montelobos Mezcal - Mezcal Joven
Santo - Mezquila
Xicaru - Mezcal Silver
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Tried Hard Mountain Dew out of curiosity (think it still has limited national availability). Came in a 24 oz can so had to store some, and noticed I liked it noticeably less the second time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 26, 2022, 04:44:09 PM
Here's what my liquor store carries:

Agave de Cortes - Joven Mezcal
Banhez - Artesanal Mezcal Joven
Bozal Espadin - Barril Mexicano Mezcal Ensamble NV
Del Maguey - Vida Single Village Mezcal
Monte Alban - Mezcal Con Gusano
Montelobos Mezcal - Mezcal Joven
Santo - Mezquila
Xicaru - Mezcal Silver

Of those, the Bozal will probably be the least smoky. You need to find some mezcals that aren't espadín, since those are almost always made in a smoky style. My favorite varieties of agave are Tobalá, Guerrero, and Arroqueño. They're far less common and definitely more expensive, but delicious.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.