News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Will Walmart ever fail?

Started by I-39, April 17, 2022, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Considering how dominate Walmart is, and how it is ever bigger than Sears was at its peak, will Walmart ever completely go out of business, or will it continue to exist in some form for decades to come?

While no doubt Walmart continues to dominate, Amazon has overtaken it as the largest retailer in the United States and this article seems to think the retailer is facing headwinds by losing share in some of its key businesses to competitors such as Amazon, Target, Instacart, etc.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22423706/walmart-memo-retail-amazon-target-instacart

It won't be an overnight process, but will Walmart slowly fade into irrelevance over time?

Max Rockatansky

If you believe Alien Resurrection they'll be outlawed in 2349.

vdeane

I doubt they'll outlive the heat death of the universe, so I'm sure they'll be gone eventually.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abefroman329

My first response was "one can only hope,"  but then I remembered that they could be replaced by something worse.

All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a Meijer outside Lexington, KY - I had a number of items I needed to buy on the way to Asheville and I thought it would be Walmart or nothing.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: vdeane on April 17, 2022, 08:30:39 PM
I doubt they'll outlive the heat death of the universe, so I'm sure they'll be gone eventually.

Earth is going to be uninhabitable long before that, but of course the buildings themselves could last beyond that point.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ted$8roadFan

It probably depends on how well (or if) Amazon challenges Walmart in rural areas where the latter is the only retail option.

MATraveler128

As others have said, it depends on how Amazon does. Walmart could potentially go to online only just like Amazon did with the recent closure of their retail stores.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Revive 755

I think it depends a bit more on how well Walmart is managed.  Wasn't Sears looking very stable for many years?

jp the roadgeek

The real question is will Pfangle ever pfail and succeed?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that Amazon will fail before Walmart.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 17, 2022, 10:08:09 PM
I think it depends a bit more on how well Walmart is managed.  Wasn't Sears looking very stable for many years?

Sears was stable before super hedge fund douche Eddie Lampert and Kmart got their hooks into it. 

webny99

Quote from: Brandon on April 17, 2022, 10:14:12 PM
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that Amazon will fail before Walmart.

That is a limb. I think both are sustainable in the short- and medium-term, although in very different ways.

But to answer the question of if Walmart will EVER fail... I think yes is the safe answer.

roadman65

Rome Fell. So sooner or later a small department store will have to.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SP Cook

Forever is a long time.  That said, Walmart's secret is not really that secret. Put of the 100s if not 1000s of indistinguishable such stores in what was a regional business for the most part, Walmart put the customer first.  In the marketplace, people gravitated to it, over more familiar such stores, because of the concern Walmart had for them, keeping prices as low as possible. 

As long as they remember that, they will be fine.  Of course, that was Sears' secret too, long ago. 

First generation founds the business, second generation grows the business, third generation ruins the business. 

Rothman

Quote from: SP Cook on April 18, 2022, 09:14:48 AM
Forever is a long time.  That said, Walmart's secret is not really that secret. Put of the 100s if not 1000s of indistinguishable such stores in what was a regional business for the most part, Walmart put the customer first.  In the marketplace, people gravitated to it, over more familiar such stores, because of the concern Walmart had for them, keeping prices as low as possible. 

As long as they remember that, they will be fine.  Of course, that was Sears' secret too, long ago. 

First generation founds the business, second generation grows the business, third generation ruins the business.

Heh.  Keeping prices low is being done to attract customers, destroy their competition and maximize profits.

The real sign of concern for customers is customer service, which Walmart falters in.

Don't tell me someone cares for me when they are acting totally in their own mercurial self-interest.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

No, not exactly.

But the first time that a Starbucks opens up inside of a Starbucks inside of a Wal-Mart, then Judgment Day will immediately follow, and the heavens and the earth will be no more.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2022, 09:46:03 AM

Heh.  Keeping prices low is being done to attract customers, destroy their competition and maximize profits.

The real sign of concern for customers is customer service, which Walmart falters in.

Don't tell me someone cares for me when they are acting totally in their own mercurial self-interest.

The thing is when does bad customer service begin to drive people away when lower prices are available?  Right now there seemingly is a near bottomless well of people who are willing to put up with Wal-Mart's poor service standards to save a buck. 

SP Cook

The Market, in its perfection, says differently. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2022, 11:00:42 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2022, 09:46:03 AM

The thing is when does bad customer service begin to drive people away when lower prices are available?  Right now there seemingly is a near bottomless well of people who are willing to put up with Wal-Mart's poor service standards to save a buck.
Yep.  Which is why I think the only thing that would doom Walmart would be if one (or more) of the "dollar" chains went hypermarket.

JayhawkCO

I mean, it's going to assuredly fail. It won't be around in 200 years because how many stores last that long?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 18, 2022, 11:14:28 AM
I mean, it's going to assuredly fail. It won't be around in 200 years because how many stores last that long?

You never know:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2022, 11:22:51 AM

You never know:

Sure, but if you look at just U.S. stores, there are no retailers there.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 18, 2022, 11:25:07 AM

You never know:

Minor example, but there is this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghirardelli_Chocolate_Company

The ruins of the store in Hornitos are actually an attraction in the town.

More on point with retail via Macys:

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/8122-oldest-companies-in-america.html

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2022, 11:33:58 AM

You never know:

Heh.  If there's ever a Walmart Square that becomes a tourist attraction for high-end desserts, I think I'll reach for my revolver.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2022, 11:33:58 AM

You never know:

And they'd have to make it to 2043 to make it to 200 years. I'd bet the under.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.