News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Phrases that are not needed

Started by roadman65, May 10, 2022, 02:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 11, 2022, 09:34:44 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2022, 06:37:28 PM
"US federal route"

Ouch!  That was a recurrent nightmare.

Quote from: CalRog.com
"Video of US Federal route XX now available at Team CalRog.com"

I believe that website is defunct.  I suspect that it went down in [flames].

Along with the Little Green Shrub.

kkt

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2022, 09:58:56 PM
...and Go!

As in a Facebook post on a local page:  "I'm looking for the best pizza in the town.  And Go!"

What...did you just enter me in some race?  Is "Please" and "Thank you" not in your vocabulary?  Never mind the question has been asked a zillion times.  And never mind that you're never actually going to tell us where you ultimately go.   We're not competing to tell you the best pizza place in record time.  And we know you're just going to wind up at Dominos anyway.

"I don't know, I haven't eaten at every single pizza place in town."

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2022, 11:57:50 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 11, 2022, 09:34:44 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2022, 06:37:28 PM
"US federal route"

Ouch!  That was a recurrent nightmare.

Quote from: CalRog.com
"Video of US Federal route XX now available at Team CalRog.com"

I believe that website is defunct.  I suspect that it went down in [flames].

Along with the Little Green Shrub.

The little green shrub is gone. I did a parody recreation of that video a few years ago when I was in E-town.

https://www.facebook.com/MillenniumHighway/videos/10153353017081469

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2022, 07:15:26 PM

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 11, 2022, 07:14:23 PM
I can't believe the thread has gotten this far without someone asking "How are you?"

The best response to actually tell someone how you feel.  They don't really want to actually know usually and it's amusing to make people uncomfortable.

You've probably encountered Christians who answer the question with "I'm blessed".  A assume they do so as a way of either (a) reminding themselves that their good fortune is a blessing from heaven, or (b) as a way to inoffensively identify themselves as a Christian.  I think the overlap is probably large with the group of people who say "Have a blessed day".  Anyway...

One lady in our church recently told me that she answers with "I'm blessed" when she's actually not doing very well.  She doesn't want to lie by saying "I'm fine" when she really isn't fine.  But there's also a good chance that either she or the person asking doesn't really want to talk about what's wrong.  And so, because she believes it's an objective fact that God has blessed her even if she can't discern exactly how at the moment, she has chosen "I'm blessed" as a way of technically not lying but still dodging a conversation she isn't keen to have.

So now, if I ask her how she's doing, and she says "I'm blessed", I respond with "Oh, what's the matter?"
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2022, 02:46:42 PM

I can't believe the thread has gotten this far without someone asking "How are you?"

The best response to actually tell someone how you feel.  They don't really want to actually know usually and it's amusing to make people uncomfortable.

You've probably encountered Christians who answer the question with "I'm blessed".  A assume they do so as a way of either (a) reminding themselves that their good fortune is a blessing from heaven, or (b) as a way to inoffensively identify themselves as a Christian.  I think the overlap is probably large with the group of people who say "Have a blessed day".  Anyway...

One lady in our church recently told me that she answers with "I'm blessed" when she's actually not doing very well.  She doesn't want to lie by saying "I'm fine" when she really isn't fine.  But there's also a good chance that either she or the person asking doesn't really want to talk about what's wrong.  And so, because she believes it's an objective fact that God has blessed her even if she can't discern exactly how at the moment, she has chosen "I'm blessed" as a way of technically not lying but still dodging a conversation she isn't keen to have.

So now, if I ask her how she's doing, and she says "I'm blessed", I respond with "Oh, what's the matter?"

I might try that with my wife.  Saying "I'm blessed"  would be so outside the norm for me that I'm curious to see how she would react to it.

kphoger

'Your call is important to us'

... on a recording, from a company whose hold time is always at least five minutes long.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Hot take: This entire thread.

Phrases might not be needed per-say, but they are used because it just makes sense in certain situations. I'd like to see some of you never use common phrases like the ones you have suggested when you talk.

Maybe you should rename the thread to "Overused phrases that I don't like".

</rant>

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2022, 02:52:26 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2022, 02:46:42 PM

I might try that with my wife.  Saying "I'm blessed"  would be so outside the norm for me that I'm curious to see how she would react to it.

Heck, I'm "that type of person", but it would be so outside the norm for me too, that my wife would give me the hairy eyeball if I were to throw that one out.
Male pronouns, please.

frankenroad

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 10, 2022, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 10, 2022, 03:10:02 PM
When a call is "parked"  instead of "on hold" .

I always thought parking a call was a different process than just placing on hold.  More like putting it in a transfer portal where it can be picked up at any station, and not just the intended recipient's station.  I know, that sounds a lot like hold, but I'm pretty sure it's different.

This is how it worked at my last place of employment.  Calls on hold could only be picked up at the phone where they were placed on hold.  Parked calls could potentially be picked up anywhere in the building.  I think you had to use some kind of code to pick up the parked call, but I don't remember exactly how it worked, but parked and held calls were definitely different.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

SectorZ

Quote from: frankenroad on May 12, 2022, 04:43:15 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on May 10, 2022, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 10, 2022, 03:10:02 PM
When a call is "parked"  instead of "on hold" .

I always thought parking a call was a different process than just placing on hold.  More like putting it in a transfer portal where it can be picked up at any station, and not just the intended recipient's station.  I know, that sounds a lot like hold, but I'm pretty sure it's different.

This is how it worked at my last place of employment.  Calls on hold could only be picked up at the phone where they were placed on hold.  Parked calls could potentially be picked up anywhere in the building.  I think you had to use some kind of code to pick up the parked call, but I don't remember exactly how it worked, but parked and held calls were definitely different.

I knew that difference to be the same, except my last place of employment used "queued" or "in queue" instead of parked.

wxfree

Quote from: thspfc on May 10, 2022, 08:00:40 PM
"No offense but"  

If it's offensive then it's offensive. If it's not then it's not.

It is what it is.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on May 10, 2022, 08:00:40 PM
"No offense but"  

If it's offensive then it's offensive. If it's not then it's not.

"It's not personal." Yes, it is, or it's at least a problem that specifically needs to be addressed because of you, may not apply to someone else in the same situation, and may permanently affect my views of you.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 12, 2022, 04:04:13 PM

Phrases might not be needed per-say, but they are used because it just makes sense in certain situations. I'd like to see some of you never use common phrases like the ones you have suggested when you talk.

</rant>

Actually, I think a better title might be "redundant phrases" or "phrases that add nothing to the conversation."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Ending a phrase/word/adjective with AF ("as fuck").

It doesn't add anything to the description.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on May 13, 2022, 11:17:35 AM

wanted to make a qualitative comparison, not intelligent enough to think of one.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

"as fuck" is an intensifier, like "very"

hotdogPi

It's an expletive in the literal sense of the term. (An expletive, by definition, doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Quote from: kkt on May 13, 2022, 03:06:20 PM

That might be the case if one didn't encounter it multiple times a day.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2022, 11:25:24 AM

wanted to make a qualitative comparison, not intelligent enough to think of one.

Quote from: kkt on May 13, 2022, 03:06:20 PM

wanted to use an intensifier, not literate enough to come up with exceptionally or astoundingly or very or remarkably or ridiculously or super or extraordinarily, so just tacked AF on the end instead.
Male pronouns, please.

SSOWorld

____ and other _____

as in "Alcohol and other drugs" - what's so important about Alcohol that you have to explicitly call it out????

Kwik Trip's overhead tobbaco shelf has a sign on it that says "Tobacco, beer and alcohol - we ID all three"  --What's the third????

____ operations - a favorite government saying - Mowing operations, Paving operations, etc.  drop the unnecessary word PLEASE AF!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Also - We did have this conversation, didn't we??
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Rothman

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 13, 2022, 09:42:26 PM

____ operations - a favorite government saying - Mowing operations, Paving operations, etc.  drop the unnecessary word PLEASE AF!

NEVER.

Heck, in each NYSDOT Region, there is an Operations Engineer.  Never just calling it mowing. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rothman on May 13, 2022, 10:46:20 PM

NEVER.

Heck, in each NYSDOT Region, there is an Operations Engineer.  Never just calling it mowing. :D
It's word fluff.  Why tack it on?
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Rothman

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 14, 2022, 05:18:17 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 13, 2022, 10:46:20 PM

NEVER.

It's word fluff.  Why tack it on?
Grammar operations.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2022, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 12, 2022, 04:04:13 PM

</rant>

Actually, I think a better title might be "redundant phrases" or "phrases that add nothing to the conversation."

That's basically the same as the thread title

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.