News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Looks like TDOT is going to let the project in February to build an interchange to connect TN 109 to I-65 just south of the Kentucky State Line. This will make it easier for long-distance traffic to bypass Nashville. The plans can be found here.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

^^^
What page of that PDF are the signing plans on?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

They should post this as US 231 if they do this.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2015, 09:04:51 PM
^^^
What page of that PDF are the signing plans on?

Signing plans start on Page 352.

Thank goodness it isn't at PDF Portfolio.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

Yeah, I just waded through all the pages to get to there.

Interesting signage error on pages 365 and 383; it will be interesting to see if that makes it into actual signage in the field.

But the more I think about this project, it seems like a big waste to me. Why not just reconstruct the 31W/109 intersection to make north 109 to north 31W the through route, and have traffic utilize Exit 1 in Kentucky?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on January 21, 2015, 01:55:26 PM
But the more I think about this project, it seems like a big waste to me. Why not just reconstruct the 31W/109 intersection to make north 109 to north 31W the through route, and have traffic utilize Exit 1 in Kentucky?

At least it extends the six lane widening, if only for about a mile or so. That does seem to be a reasonable alternative, especially since KYTC is widening US 31W between the state line and I-65.
Cody Goodman

jpi

Glad to see this is starting next month, the 4-lane part of 109 starts near where my sister and brother in law live in Portland. Should be interesting.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

Quote from: jpi on January 23, 2015, 12:22:48 AM
Glad to see this is starting next month, the 4-lane part of 109 starts near where my sister and brother in law live in Portland. Should be interesting.

Now if Portland can be bypassed and 109 widened in Wilson County...
Cody Goodman

jpi

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 29, 2015, 07:06:16 AM
Quote from: jpi on January 23, 2015, 12:22:48 AM

Now if Portland can be bypassed and 109 widened in Wilson County...
Agreed, the Portland By-Pass may happen before the 109 4 laning in Wilson County near my house.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

I-39

When will the widening of I-65 be done south of Franklin to just shy of 840?

codyg1985

Quote from: adamlanfort on February 09, 2015, 07:57:45 PM
When will the widening of I-65 be done south of Franklin to just shy of 840?

The project got impacted a bit due to a tanker truck catching fire and damaging both the existing and new bridges at the Goose Creek Bypass. It was supposed to be complete in mid-2016. It isn't certain right now if that date will slip or not.
Cody Goodman

Crazy Volvo Guy

Instead of all this hullabaloo with 109, they ought to just build the northeast quadrant of 840.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

codyg1985

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on February 15, 2015, 12:11:19 PM
Instead of all this hullabaloo with 109, they ought to just build the northeast quadrant of 840.

I agree, but I don't know if it will ever happen.
Cody Goodman

bigdave

I saw some activity in a couple of areas on I-75 North of Chattanooga along with some partially covered blue signs.

Looks like they are setting up some parking areas for truckers to park and rest for a bit:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/feb/03/parking-sites-project-helps-truckers-find-tim/286144/

David

codyg1985

^ Michigan has some of those electronic blue signs along I-94.
Cody Goodman

bigdave

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 16, 2015, 05:31:26 PM
^ Michigan has some of those electronic blue signs along I-94.
Ah, you are correct.  :spin:

I had been seeing the covered blue signs along I-75 on my last few trips to Kingsport, so it's good to know what they are now.

David

froggie

QuoteInstead of all this hullabaloo with 109, they ought to just build the northeast quadrant of 840.

109's cheaper and addresses an existing need.  840 is more speculative than anything else, especially with where they proposed it.

Grzrd

This article reports that Scott County Commissioners are expected to introduce a measure to place a toll booth along U.S. 27:

U.S. Hwy. 27 in Scott County could soon become a toll road, if a proposal by Scott County Commissioners gains traction, as is expected.
When County Commission's Intergovernmental Committee meets Monday, a measure is expected to be introduced that would see a toll booth placed along U.S. Hwy. 27. The proposal is aimed at generating revenue to help repair roadways in Scott County.
One veteran commissioner, who asked to not be named since it is not his proposal, said the toll booth is likely to find support from a majority of the county's legislative body.
It isn't my idea, but I'm behind it, and every commissioner I've talked to says they're willing to consider it,"  the commissioner said. "We're one of the few counties in the state that does not provide any local funds to our county road department. I think all of us agree that Scott County's roadways need more funding, but there's no room in the budget for us to add that without a property tax increase."
The commissioner said the toll road idea is preferred because it will tax motorists who are actually using the road rather than placing an additional burden on property owners.
"We tax property owners for everything,"  he said. "It's unfair to keep going back to them and asking them to shoulder the tax burden."
If the proposal ultimately passes, U.S. Hwy. 27 will become Tennessee's first toll road. The Tennessee Tollway Act, passed by the state legislature and signed into law by then-Gov. Phil Bredesen in 2007, allows for tollways. So far, several have been proposed but none have actually come to fruition ....
Tennessee is among 20 states that have never had a toll road of any kind ...
The most logical location, commissioners say, is on the "Four Lane"  section of U.S. 27 in Oneida, since it is the most heavily-traveled section of the roadway. However, state law will not allow a county government to authorize a toll road inside a municipality's corporate limits. That means a toll booth, if approved, would likely be located somewhere between Oneida and Huntsville. ....
"Theoretically, if Oneida and Huntsville are opposed to the toll booth, they could annex U.S. 27 all the way through and leave us out in the cold,"  ....
Exactly what would happen of the proposed toll booth in such a scenario remains to be seen, but anti-tax community activist Roger Stauls thinks he has a solution.
"If we're going to charge a toll, let's make the tourists pay it instead of our local residents,"  he said. "Put it on River Road or Leatherwood Road."
It is uncertain how long it would take for such a measure to become reality, but TDOT spokesperson April Dullard said it could be as soon as 12 months.
"There's a lot of revenue traveling those roads,"  Dullard said. "Really, counties who don't take advantage of that are fools."

Would the feds have a say as to whether the toll booth could be placed on U.S. 27?

NE2

Quote from: Grzrd on April 01, 2015, 08:35:58 PM
Would the feds have a say as to whether the toll booth could be placed on U.S. 27?
Probably, since it was built/improved with feddybux.

Quote from: Grzrd on April 01, 2015, 08:35:58 PM
Tennessee is among 20 states that have never had a toll road of any kind ...
Bullshit. http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=1460
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

I don't see that happening. It would have to gain TDOT approval, and I don't see them supporting such a measure.
Cody Goodman

SteveG1988

Tried to snap a photo but I40 at 240 in Memphis, going west, has a new full color VMS, similar in ability to the NJ turnpike ones, just not as big. They're using it with a BGS emulation.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

codyg1985

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 13, 2015, 06:37:00 PM
Tried to snap a photo but I40 at 240 in Memphis, going west, has a new full color VMS, similar in ability to the NJ turnpike ones, just not as big. They're using it with a BGS emulation.

I saw one further up on I-40 going west near Wolfchase when I was in that area in March.
Cody Goodman

TrevorB

A friend of mine coming into town from Nashville snapped a pic and sent it to me. I haven't been out in that area in a while, so I haven't seen them. The camera makes the signs appear glitchy, but they aren't.

codyg1985

Those new message boards are hard to photograph because of that effect. I am surprised there are two of them on one gantry. I wonder if TDOT is beginning to replace all of their VMSs in the Memphis are with the full-color ones?
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

TDOT has the intent to advertise the rebuild of US 27 in Chattanooga between I-24 and the Tennessee River bridge. The plans can be found here beside "From the I-24/I-124 Interchange to south of the Tennessee River Bridge" section.

Curiously, the plans keep referring to the road as I-124, but none of the signs that are to be installed reflect this.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.