I-66 may not be dead yet after all

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2016, 10:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Heard today that KYTC has been asked to come up with an estimate for construction of an interstate-quality highway from Somerset to Hazard. I'm not sure who requested this, as I only caught a small part of the conversation. I'll definitely post updates as I learn new details.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

Looks like Kentucky will never give up on Interstate 66. Personally, I think it should have had a different number, with it being further south of Interstate 64. If it was going to connect with the existing Interstate 66, then I would let the number stand. But we all know that it won't.

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 05, 2016, 01:40:07 PM
Looks like Kentucky will never give up on Interstate 66. Personally, I think it should have had a different number, with it being further south of Interstate 64. If it was going to connect with the existing Interstate 66, then I would let the number stand. But we all know that it won't.
So in short, it's the same situation as the two I-74s? I would've liked for the highway here to be named I-62, personally.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rover_0

Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2016, 10:32:29 PM
Heard today that KYTC has been asked to come up with an estimate for construction of an interstate-quality highway from Somerset to Hazard. I'm not sure who requested this, as I only caught a small part of the conversation. I'll definitely post updates as I learn new details.

I floated the idea of extending US-48 west in the "Multi-Purpose U.S. 48" Fictional Highways thread to connect with the proposed I-66 and effectively renumber I-66 to I-48. As I said there, no more iconic number, but at least that way, the number (48) is consistent on the entire planned route, whether or not it is built up to Interstate standards:  I-48 when up to Interstate standards, US-48 otherwise.

Maybe you can pass the concept up through KYTC, HBelkins. :)
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Henry

I like that idea of making a longer US 48 and I-48 in the process! Although if they insist on I-66, why not do a US 66 revival instead? Sure, it won't be the Chicago-Los Angeles route as before, but it would be a grand opportunity to make a new route with the number that motorists know and love the most.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 66 may not be dead, but what's the likelihood it will be built (excluding the portions that currently exist as non-interstate parkways in Kentucky).

Sykotyk

Well, Kentucky has gotten a big push lately to 'complete' parkways to a logical finish, instead of just middle-of-nowhere. Bluegrass will probably always end at US60 just based on the countryside it goes through (unless it really turns south and maybe takes over Man'O'War or even further south, maybe, to Nicholasville and then northeast from I-75 to I-64 around Mt. Sterling. (pipe dream).

But, the Cumberland just makes sense to go from I-65 to I-75. And, between I-65 and I-24, they need some safety improvements, which a freeway would solve, though a bit costly. West of I-24 or I-69 isn't needed. East isn't needed as a freeway. The ARC roads do enough as is to handle traffic, though a few places there's lights that need bypassed due to safety (bottom of hills, short notice around curves) on a lot of ARCs that I think were overlooked.

DJStephens

What are the conditions on the Hal Rogers Parkway from just east of London, KY to Hazard?  Could substantial portions of it be incorporated into an upgraded route and double barreled?  Can't say personally I've ever been on it.  It seems one would want to have a destination in West Virginia to aim for - most likely Beckley, or Charleston, to make an interstate grade route feasible.   Tying into US 119 might make the Charleston route better, although don't think the somewhat recent upgrades of 119 were Interstate grade.    It also seems that there has been more than one attempt to build an improved road in that general area - Corridor H, coalfields expressway, and king coal, that have turned out not really connecting to anything meaningful.   

hbelkins

Quote from: DJStephens on March 16, 2016, 08:43:58 PM
What are the conditions on the Hal Rogers Parkway from just east of London, KY to Hazard?  Could substantial portions of it be incorporated into an upgraded route and double barreled?

Super-2, through mountainous terrain, and with a few at-grades. Much more mountainous than the two-lane portion of the Mountain Parkway, and only about half the distance and with a lot fewer at-grades. IMO it would be prohibitively expensive and not needed. The super-2 handles traffic between London and Hazard just fine.

wdcrft63

A lot of this discussion belongs in Fictional Highways, because West Virginia is emphatically not interested in the I-66 idea in any fashion whatsoever. But Kentucky certainly can think about upgrading its own parkway system. How about stringing together the parkways from Henderson to Owensboro to Bowling Green to Somerset with an extension to I-75 and call the whole thing something like I-62? I'm well aware of the proposal to make Owensboro-Bowling Green I-565; this seems like a logical extension of that idea.

Brandon

I-66 in Kentucky:

The Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead.

[a man puts a body on the cart]

Large Man with Dead Body: Here's one.

The Dead Collector: That'll be ninepence.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.

The Dead Collector: What?

Large Man with Dead Body: Nothing. There's your ninepence.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.

The Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.

Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not.

The Dead Collector: He isn't.

Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm getting better.

Large Man with Dead Body: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.

The Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I don't want to go on the cart.

Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, don't be such a baby.

The Dead Collector: I can't take him.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel fine.

Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, do me a favor.

The Dead Collector: I can't.

Large Man with Dead Body: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.

The Dead Collector: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.

Large Man with Dead Body: Well, when's your next round?

The Dead Collector: Thursday.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I think I'll go for a walk.

Large Man with Dead Body: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do?

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel happy. I feel happy.

[the Dead Collector glances up and down the street furtively, then silences the Body with his a whack of his club]

Large Man with Dead Body: Ah, thank you very much.

The Dead Collector: Not at all. See you on Thursday.

Large Man with Dead Body: Right.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

tidecat

Part of the problem with 119 is that it isn't straight enough to be a meaningful route in Kentucky.  It should have gone where the Daniel Boone/Hal Rogers Parkway is to connect London to Charleston, and that would actually leave US 119's route unchanged from Coal Run Village, Kentucky to Charleston, West Virginia.  US 119 south of US 23 could have been US 323, US 419, the Daniel Boone/Hal Rogers Parkway, or even US 125.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Rover_0

Quote from: Rover_0 on March 07, 2016, 02:53:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2016, 10:32:29 PM

I floated the idea of extending US-48 west in the "Multi-Purpose U.S. 48" Fictional Highways thread to connect with the proposed I-66 and effectively renumber I-66 to I-48. As I said there, no more iconic number, but at least that way, the number (48) is consistent on the entire planned route, whether or not it is built up to Interstate standards:  I-48 when up to Interstate standards, US-48 otherwise.

Maybe you can pass the concept up through KYTC, HBelkins. :)

I'd figure that I'd show a couple maps of a possible US-48 extension (and I-48 metamorphosis for Interstate-grade portions of the route, assuming the Ford and Natcher Parkways and between I-65 and I-75 are upgraded accordingly):

Just as US-48:

As US-48 and I-48 portions:

I know that this is more fit for the Fictional Thread, but since I brought it up, and that it's somewhat relevant to the topic (and I feel that it's a possible, reasonable solution to resolving I-66), I'd show it here.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

tidecat

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 17, 2016, 11:55:34 AM
A lot of this discussion belongs in Fictional Highways, because West Virginia is emphatically not interested in the I-66 idea in any fashion whatsoever. But Kentucky certainly can think about upgrading its own parkway system. How about stringing together the parkways from Henderson to Owensboro to Bowling Green to Somerset with an extension to I-75 and call the whole thing something like I-62? I'm well aware of the proposal to make Owensboro-Bowling Green I-565; this seems like a logical extension of that idea.
Maybe the combined and upgraded Louie B. Nunn-Hal Rogers Parkway will be proposed as 165, 365, 765, or 965 by the Cabinet.  This would allow the route to have one number, even if it is not the "final" designation.  Not that the lack of an interstate connection on both ends prevented I-27, I-39, or I-44 from being designated.

I just don't see I-62 being designated in Kentucky unless if US 62 is decommissioned in its entirety.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Captain Jack

Unless the sole purpose is to bring an interstate shield to far eastern Kentucky, I see absolutely no purpose in this.

Anywhere along the current Western KY or Bluegrass Parkways, from Paducah to Lexington, would be much better served with a short extension of the Bluegrass into I-64 and 75. That would certainly be the preferred route between Charleston and Paducah, even without the Bluegrass extension, over the proposed I-66.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Captain Jack on March 28, 2016, 05:18:37 PM
Unless the sole purpose is to bring an interstate shield to far eastern Kentucky, I see absolutely no purpose in this.

Anywhere along the current Western KY or Bluegrass Parkways, from Paducah to Lexington, would be much better served with a short extension of the Bluegrass into I-64 and 75. That would certainly be the preferred route between Charleston and Paducah, even without the Bluegrass extension, over the proposed I-66.
Extending the Bluegrass Parkway to I-64 is a very attractive idea, but I assume a lot of very expensive real estate would be required.

I-39

I-66 is dead forever, it will never be built. I think it's more likely we'll see I-69 finished before I-66 is ever built.

bandit957

If it's ever built, I hope they call it I-48 just for my amusement. It's kind of an inside joke about Kentucky state government and 'Sesame Street'.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 66 will never be dead if it keeps rising from the grave.

Interstate 69 Fan

It's dead. According to a Facebook post, it announced "I-66 project dead"
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

sparker

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 04, 2016, 12:53:27 PM

Ah, yes -- Facebook -- the definitive source for all official announcements. :rolleyes:  Look deeper, particularly into KY DOT documents, threads about High Priority Corridor #3, etc.  AFAIK, I-66 still exists in concept only; there may still be "Future I-66 Corridor" signage along the Cumberland/Nunn Parkway -- but otherwise, the only actual I-66 to be found is the original I-81-to-DC route.

hbelkins

Care to provide a link?

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2016, 04:34:03 PM

Care to provide a link?
I will soon, when I got time.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

CapeCodder

I thought I saw an extremely short segment marked in E. KY in the Michelin 2018 NA Road Atlas

The Ghostbuster

It was likely in error. Are there still any future Interstate 66 signs anywhere along its proposed corridor?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.