News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California state route 63 as freeway, no need for upgrading Mooney Blvd in Visal

Started by ACSCmapcollector, July 12, 2016, 09:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

California state route 63 as freeway, no need for upgrading Mooney Blvd in Visalia.  It is an six lane arterial street from California state route 198 to Visalia Parkway.  However I don't find the need to have that section of California state route 63 as freeway.  There is to much stop and go, on Mooney Blvd. and it is a road or street to avoid in the city of Visalia, CA altogether for that section.

he 1.6 mile portion of Route 63, also known as South Mooney Boulevard, from West Visalia Parkway to Avenue 264 in Visalia is named the "Greatest Generation Memorial Highway" It was named in honor of Visalia's "Greatest Generation", a term used to refer to World War II veterans. Over 413,000 Americans gave their lives to preserve our liberty and freedom during this conflict that ended on August 15, 1945. Visalians were involved abroad in Europe, the Pacific, and at home in contributing towards the eventual victory of the United States. The City of Visalia made a significant contribution to the United States war effort through leasing the Visalia Municipal Airport to the United States Army, which conducted significant operations, including air submarine patrols, at the renamed Visalia Army Air field. The Greatest Generation World War II mural, which is 72 feet wide and 19 feet high and depicts and symbolizes events and people throughout the war, is located at 26572 South Mooney Boulevard, also known as Route 63. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution (ACR) 36, Resolution Chapter 78, on 7/17/2009.

[SHC 253.1] Entire route. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Max Rockatansky

Freeway...no...but I could some improvements north of Orange Cove though...maybe a passing lane or two?  Road 80 at least to Dinuba seems to serve the purpose 63 ought to a little better, personally I would like to see it branch more north west to CA 180 off towards Fresno rather than hitting a mountain grade that turns north east towards Kings Canyon.  But I think that was part of the great debate we had once about 63 in general and local San Joaquin Valley county routes often being higher quality than the California route.

ACSCmapcollector

I think that the most busiest portion of California 63, Mooney Boulevard has been widened to 6 lanes from 4 lanes by Caltrans district 6, and most Visalians avoid the throughfare, including my parents and I used to live there too, I would walk up or down on either side walk on west of east facing side from 1985 to 1995, when I lived in Visalia, CA in the summer heat or in the foggy winter time or during other times of the year when the weather usually cooperates.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.