Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

It's about time. The reconstruction has been delayed long enough. At least it won't become a signaled surface boulevard like it was once proposed.

hbelkins

Quote from: spooky on January 07, 2016, 07:20:20 AM
My folks live in Wears Valley and the last few visits we have flown into Charlotte and taken US 74 to I-26 to I-40 to US 411. Might try US 321 next time for a change of scenery, or might stick with 411 to check out the new alignment.

The first time I drove to Charlotte (a day trip, there and back, for a road meet) I took I-26, US 74  and I-85 out of Asheville, and returned via I-85, US 321 north to I-40 to Asheville. Best I can recall, time-wise the routes were pretty close. So there might be another alternative for you to consider. Of course, if you're going to Wears Valley, you could take US 321 all the way.  :D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Has anybody been near Lawrenceburg lately?  Seems in August the Western half of the US-64 bypass was opened, and I was curious if the old segment into town became a business route.
https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/16880

codyg1985

I went through there late last year, and I don't remember the old route being signed as a BUS route. However, I only saw it at both ends along the bypass, and I didn't go into town to see if it was signed as such there.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rickmastfan67

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 24, 2016, 07:20:48 AM
I went through there late last year, and I don't remember the old route being signed as a BUS route. However, I only saw it at both ends along the bypass, and I didn't go into town to see if it was signed as such there.

I'm guessing it became un-numbered except the small segment of the TN Secondary 242 multiplex if the 2016 Official State Map is to be believed.

ixnay

Oops, it did it again... I-75 is closed by a fresh landslide just south of the KY border.

http://www.fox19.com/story/31332773/web-update-interstate-75-shut-down-in-tennessee

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

keithvh

Quote from: ixnay on February 28, 2016, 06:36:06 PM
Oops, it did it again... I-75 is closed by a fresh landslide just south of the KY border.

http://www.fox19.com/story/31332773/web-update-interstate-75-shut-down-in-tennessee

ixnay

Yikes.  That's a pretty key corridor, especially at Spring Break time, all the Michigan/Ohio to Georgia/Florida traffic.

I was driving from Martinsville, VA to Cincinnati, OH today and I took 58 across to Cumberland Gap and 25E up to I-75 ---- that explains why the 25E corridor was quite a bit heavier than normal.  That's a viable detour for long-distance folk heading on I-75 and heading down to I-40/the Carolinas.

codyg1985

I-71 and I-65 and I-24 is going to see a lot more traffic....
Cody Goodman

ysuindy

jbnati27

Quote from: ysuindy on March 11, 2016, 12:15:09 PM
Southbound lanes on I-75 opened March 10 per this report

I can confirm this as I drove through on 3/18. I had to take the detour on my return trip on 3/23, though.

Ostensibly, one lane is now open on Northbound 1-75 according to the Tennessee Department of Transportation.

Georgia

all the VMS on Northbound 75 have been updated to reflect that one lane is open also

codyg1985

There is a letting for the widening of TN 109 between the new Cumberland River bridge and the TN 109 Gallatin bypass. Unfortunately, it is a five lane with a signal at the bypass.
Cody Goodman

rte66man

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 02, 2016, 08:30:09 AM
There is a letting for the widening of TN 109 between the new Cumberland River bridge and the TN 109 Gallatin bypass. Unfortunately, it is a five lane with a signal at the bypass.

TDOT wussed out again..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

codyg1985

Yeah for this to be an alternative to I-65 through Nashville it is very inconsistent, and Gallatin will be a bit of a bottleneck. I guess the issue is money, as usual.
Cody Goodman

froggie

May not just be money.  Could just as easily be local demands property access.  None of the Southeastern states do access management very well.

Tom958

Or it could be that TN 109 just isn't that great of a bypass route. I had reason to mess around with Googling the Chattanooga-Louisville (or Ringgold-Elizabethtown) axis, and was surprised by how often TN 109 doesn't appear as a suggested route option. Even trying Murfreesboro or Manchester, Google likes US 231 and KY 101 instead.

jpi

US 231 north to KY 101 at Scottsville is a nice alternate and the most direct route for me to take to I-65 north if I am going to OH \ western PA, it takes me about an hour from my house (I live 2 blocks off US 231 north side of Lebanon, TN) As for 109, yes it will be 5 lanes from I-40 north to the Gallatin by-pass by the end of the decade, it would be nice if it was built like it was north of Gallatin but at this point us Wilson Countians will take ANYTHING instead of what 109 is now, there was another deadly crash on it near me the other morning and yes the southeast does not do well with access control, especially TN
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Avalanchez71

Can anyone advise why US 31E was routed onto I-65 at one time but then routed off and back onto Gallatin Pike?

codyg1985

I drove through Nashville today. All eight lanes of I-65 are now open between TN 840 and the Goose Creek Bypass in Williamson County. There are still some things left to do. Permanent striping is in place, but several sign bridges need to be placed. I am not sure what else needs to be done at the interchange with the Goose Creek Bypass.
Cody Goodman

rte66man

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2016, 01:11:30 PM
Can anyone advise why US 31E was routed onto I-65 at one time but then routed off and back onto Gallatin Pike?

My memory may be playing tricks on me (again), bu iirc it had to do with Veteran's Parkway and the extension of the Ellington Parkway north to Briley.  When 31E was pulled from Gallatin Road, it was to move it over to 65 up to Rivergate, then east on whatever part of Veterans was finished at the time.  The combination of wanting Ellington Parkway to have a "real" highway # along with the extension of Veteran's almost to Gallatin meant 31E was put back on Gallatin Road north of Briley.  Will have to see if someone has a better memory (shouldn't be too hard).
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Avalanchez71

I seem to recall a short lived US 31 BUS in Hendersonville.

Avalanchez71

I just read that TDOT is planning to extend SR 396 (Saturn Parkway) through the GM Plant to come out the other end to SR 247 (Beechcroft Road).  What a collosial waste of money.  The traffic counts I know have got to be very minimal.

Alex

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 01, 2016, 09:08:09 AM
I just read that TDOT is planning to extend SR 396 (Saturn Parkway) through the GM Plant to come out the other end to SR 247 (Beechcroft Road).  What a collosial waste of money.  The traffic counts I know have got to be very minimal.

Looks like it, but as an arterial, not a freeway.

See page 13 of the Spring Hill 2040 MAJOR THOROUGHFARE
PLAN

The TDOT page shows just two lanes leading north to an improved Beechcroft Road (SR 247):
http://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/Conceptual_Layouts_w-Typicals.pdf

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on July 01, 2016, 09:43:51 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 01, 2016, 09:08:09 AM

Looks like it, but as an arterial, not a freeway.

See page 13 of the Spring Hill 2040 MAJOR THOROUGHFARE
PLAN

The TDOT page shows just two lanes leading north to an improved Beechcroft Road (SR 247):
http://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/Conceptual_Layouts_w-Typicals.pdf

If all of those interchanges are put in, then that IMO would make an even more compelling argument for widening I-65 to at least six lanes down to Saturn Parkway.
Cody Goodman

Avalanchez71

I remember that plan.  The problem with that plan is that state law changed in relation to annexation.  The plan appears to allege that Greens Mill Rd would be annexed in the city.  The problem is at that time a city could annex by ordinance.  Now if a city wants to annex it must do so by resolution at the request of the property owner(s) or if they city wants to annex without request then the city must do so by a contested election.  The property owners along Greens Mill Rd have nice homes with a county water system and no city property taxes.  I know that an election would fail as the property values are high enough for property owners to want to reject higher taxes.

Also there is large opposition to folks that live inside and outside of the city limits to a Kedron Road interchange.  The people that would benefit to access are opposed to it due to the rural character of the area outside the city limits and the semi-rural/exhurb area inside the city limits.  There are a few subdivisions in the area but there are few services and other structures in the area save the golf course, counrty store (technically not annexed into the city) and park.

Spring Hill is in two counties.  The folks on the Williamson County side have a little different attitudes to the plans and I can see an interchange at the Buckner Road Extension as proposed.  The Saturn Parkway extensions have not generated much interest that I am aware of.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.