News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2017 MLB Postseason

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, October 10, 2017, 05:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: ET21 on October 20, 2017, 09:17:33 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 20, 2017, 08:50:24 AM
I heard that the commissioner cancelled all games for the rest of the season.

seriously, I posted in a Cubs facebook group something about the loss and how I figured we lose, but how the loss was embarrassing, and some other fan said I wasn't a real Cubs fan and that I should go root for the dodgers.  Fuck that noise.  I REALLY hate other Cubs fans that say such and such isn't a true fan if they don't agree with them 100%  It's fucking bullshit.  I was a pallbearer at my grandfathers funeral. He was buried wearing his favorite Cubs shirt.  I watched many games with him when I was a kid.  Don't fucking call me a bandwagoner because I express my frustration with my team.

Sounds like he was someone who jumped on last year and barely knows anything from the team before 2016

Just like many Yankee bandwagon jumpers who have suddenly come crawling out of the woodwork like termites for the first time in 7 years think baseball didn't exist before 1996, and that the Yankee hat is a fashion accessory more than a symbol of their favorite team.  These are the ones with a sense of entitlement that the World Series title is always theirs, and for them not to win is to have it stolen from them.  They know who Derek Jeter or Aaron Judge is, but ask them who Babe Ruth or Yogi Berra was, and they'll tell you that one was a chocolatier who created a famous candy bar and the other lives in Jellystone Park.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Henry

I'll just have to wait to see who I'll be rooting for in the World Series, now that my Cubs have been eliminated. If the Yankees win, I'll pick the Dodgers, since I used to live in L.A. many years back, but if the Astros come back to win the ALCS, then I'm definitely pulling for them.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 20, 2017, 10:04:29 AM

seriously, I posted in a Cubs facebook group something about the loss and how I figured we lose, but how the loss was embarrassing, and some other fan said I wasn't a real Cubs fan and that I should go root for the dodgers.  Fuck that noise.  I REALLY hate other Cubs fans that say such and such isn't a true fan if they don't agree with them 100%  It's fucking bullshit.  I was a pallbearer at my grandfathers funeral. He was buried wearing his favorite Cubs shirt.  I watched many games with him when I was a kid.  Don't fucking call me a bandwagoner because I express my frustration with my team.

Sounds like he was someone who jumped on last year and barely knows anything from the team before 2016

Just like many Yankee bandwagon jumpers who have suddenly come crawling out of the woodwork like termites for the first time in 7 years think baseball didn't exist before 1996, and that the Yankee hat is a fashion accessory more than a symbol of their favorite team.  These are the ones with a sense of entitlement that the World Series title is always theirs, and for them not to win is to have it stolen from them.  They know who Derek Jeter or Aaron Judge is, but ask them who Babe Ruth or Yogi Berra was, and they'll tell you that one was a chocolatier who created a famous candy bar and the other lives in Jellystone Park.
Much like the Patriots fans who think the Super Bowl has only been around since 2002, who know Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and Rob Gronkowski but not Drew Bledsoe or Bill Parcells, and think their team has the right to every Lombardi trophy (adding that any time they don't win it, they've been robbed).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Henry on October 20, 2017, 10:11:49 AM
I'll just have to wait to see who I'll be rooting for in the World Series, now that my Cubs have been eliminated. If the Yankees win, I'll pick the Dodgers, since I used to live in L.A. many years back, but if the Astros come back to win the ALCS, then I'm definitely pulling for them.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 20, 2017, 10:04:29 AM

Much like the Patriots fans who think the Super Bowl has only been around since 2002, who know Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and Rob Gronkowski but not Drew Bledsoe or Bill Parcells, and think their team has the right to every Lombardi trophy (adding that any time they don't win it, they've been robbed).

Cowboys fans always think the Lombardi Trophy is theirs to lose, and that the world revolves around their team.  You'll only hear from many of them come playoff time, but they run away the second they get knocked out of the playoffs, which has become a common occurrence since 1996. 

Sure there are many Pats bandwagon jumpers, but I can remember in 1990 sitting in a nearly empty Foxboro Stadium watching a 1-15 team full of no-names  (Marc Wilson at QB) with fans who talked more about the Lisa Olson/Zeke Mowatt incident than the play of the team.  25 years ago, they almost moved to St. Louis before Kraft bought the team.  I wonder what alternate history would be like if Brady's tuck call was upheld.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Living in western MA during those bleak years for the Pats after Super Bowl XX, all I can say is that you couldn't pay anyone enough to be a Pats fan back then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

And let me be the first to wish you and yours a very happy Yankee Elimination Day :nod: :clap: :cheers: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CNGL-Leudimin

Great! The Astros have earned my rooting rights for the World Series. They have never won the Fall Classic since they started playing as the Colt .45s in 1962, adopting their current name in 1965.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tdindy88

Surprised that no one's pointed this out yet, but this year will be an I-10 World Series, just as last year was I-90.

Henry

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 22, 2017, 10:13:54 AM
Great! The Astros have earned my rooting rights for the World Series. They have never won the Fall Classic since they started playing as the Colt .45s in 1962, adopting their current name in 1965.
In addition, they were 0-4 in 2005, when they lost to the White Sox (the team I could never root for as a diehard Cubs fan). So this time around, I hope that the Astros can get at least a win or two against the Dodgers.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 21, 2017, 11:29:08 PM
And let me be the first to wish you and yours a very happy Yankee Elimination Day :nod: :clap: :cheers: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Also, here's to Houston being the first city to ever represent the NL and AL in the World Series. Anytime a New York team loses in the postseason is a good day for me.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mrsman

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 22, 2017, 08:42:58 PM
Surprised that no one's pointed this out yet, but this year will be an I-10 World Series, just as last year was I-90.

There are two world series teams.  One team represents the city that is full of victims of Harvey.

And the other team is the Houston Astros. :-D

Takumi

Quote from: mrsman on October 23, 2017, 09:21:42 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on October 22, 2017, 08:42:58 PM

There are two world series teams.  One team represents the city that is full of victims of Harvey.

And the other team is the Houston Astros. :-D

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Henry

Guess what? The Astros finally won a World Series game, with the most suspenseful Game 2 ever that went into extra innings (11, to be exact). And they ended a five-game losing streak in the championship round (of course, dating back to 2005).

ET21

Quote from: Henry on October 26, 2017, 10:37:06 AM
Guess what? The Astros finally won a World Series game, with the most suspenseful Game 2 ever that went into extra innings (11, to be exact). And they ended a five-game losing streak in the championship round (of course, dating back to 2005).

:bigass:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Henry on October 26, 2017, 10:37:06 AM

Go Astros, go! Now that they have won a World Series game, they should win the whole thing.
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 20, 2017, 10:04:29 AMThey know who Derek Jeter or Aaron Judge is, but ask them who Babe Ruth or Yogi Berra was, and they'll tell you that one was a chocolatier who created a famous candy bar and the other lives in Jellystone Park.

Well, I know who Yogi Berra was, as I've read about him as his Yogiisms :sombrero:. However my favorite Yankee player of all times is Lou Gehrig. Mainly because the Spanish running community got its own version of him recently.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

triplemultiplex

What a Game 5!  Thoroughly entertaining for the baseball fan without a horse in the race (and a late bed time ;) )
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

epzik8

I don't know who to root for in the World Series.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

So both of Houston's appearances in the World Series ended in a victory for the American League.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

After what Houston had gone through with Hurricane Harvey, that city definitely deserved to celebrate a championship. The Astros have their first championship since the Rockets went back-to-back two decades ago, and their World Series win so much more than made up for their dud the first time around.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on November 02, 2017, 10:12:02 AM
After what Houston had gone through with Hurricane Harvey, that city definitely deserved to celebrate a championship. The Astros have their first championship since the Rockets went back-to-back two decades ago, and their World Series win so much more than made up for their dud the first time around.

Their first time around wasn't so much a dud as they just ran into one of the best teams of all time.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: Henry on November 02, 2017, 10:12:02 AM
They said that about New York and 9/11. Life isn't always fairy tales, and again the Yankees come out on the short end. I know, I can't complain.

rlb2024

Quote from: Henry on October 23, 2017, 09:46:33 AM
Also, here's to Houston being the first city to ever represent the NL and AL in the World Series. Anytime a New York team loses in the postseason is a good day for me.
Didn't Milwaukee represent the NL (with the Braves in 1957 and 1958) and the AL (with the Brewers in 1982) in the World Series?  Granted they were separate teams, but the same city.

Flint1979

Quote from: rlb2024 on November 03, 2017, 01:11:58 AM
Didn't Milwaukee represent the NL (with the Braves in 1957 and 1958) and the AL (with the Brewers in 1982) in the World Series?  Granted they were separate teams, but the same city.
Henry did say city not team.

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Takumi

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 03, 2017, 10:15:17 AM
If we're going to be that pedantic, Chicago was the first city to have both NL and AL representation, in 1906.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Flint1979

Quote from: Takumi on November 03, 2017, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 03, 2017, 10:15:17 AM
If we're going to be that pedantic, Chicago was the first city to have both NL and AL representation, in 1906.

Agree with that. Houston is probably the first team to go to the World Series as an AL team and NL team. All the other one's from the same city have been different teams.

ET21

They could've had a great distinction of winning a World Series in both AL and NL...

But they kinda got swept in the NL World Series try  :bigass: :bigass:

EDIT: 1500!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.