News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-165 Kentucky (William H. Natcher Green River Parkway)

Started by Grzrd, February 24, 2015, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Perhaps KY saw who the delegates on USRN this time were and decided not to bother with future interstate designations as they knew that those people were clueless?

Next time the delegates will be different, so I-587 in NC, and the Natcher Pkwy designation might be approved.

hbelkins

I think one of the main reasons NC's I-587 was denied was because so much of the road is not up to standards, as others more familiar with the route have noted.

As with the I-69 designation, there will probably have to be some sort of plan and schedule in place to upgrade the Natcher (and Audubon) before an approval will be granted.

Keep in mind that unless there is significant federal funding available, it will probably be awhile before any upgrades are done if they rely on state funds. Kentucky has called a halt to all state-funded projects until the Road Fund achieves a cash balance of $50 million, then already-scheduled projects are going to be re-prioritized.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

This article reports that Kentucky officials are sending moral support to construction of I-67/MidState Corridor (prior discussion here) but they are concentrating their efforts on the upgrade to the i-65 Spur:

Owensboro-Daviess County officials say they still support the effort to turn U.S. 231 in southern Indiana into an interstate highway known as the MidState Corridor, which would link the William H. Natcher Bridge westward to I-69. But they say the future of that project now lies completely with Indiana.
Daviess County Judge-Executive Al Mattingly said he attended a meeting of the MidState Corridor development group on Oct. 10, along with Candance Brake, president of the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce, and Rep. Suzanne Miles.
"They gave a report on what has happened and we gave a report on the I-65 spur and how we accomplished that," Mattingly said.
While no funding has been appropriated for the MidState Corridor, initially referred to as I-67, and its approximately 30 miles of new road construction, Kentucky has approved funding for interstate-level upgrades to the William H. Natcher Parkway from Bowling Green to Owensboro, Mattingly said.
"We've got a plan in Kentucky," Mattingly said. "They (Indiana backers of the MidState Corridor) are still talking about which side (of Huntingburg and Jasper) it will go. "
The MidState Corridor remains important to fulfilling the ultimate goal of an interstate highway from I-65 at Bowling Green to I-69, Mattingly said.
"It's a work in progress," Mattingly said. "Everybody is working for that ultimate goal. It's always been the goal to turn 231 into an interstate. ... We've taken the path that Indiana is working on the Indiana side and Kentucky is working on the Kentucky side."
Mattingly said his Indiana counterparts on the MidState Corridor group were pleased with the "Future Interstate 65 Spur" signs that went up on the Natcher Parkway in late August.
Owensboro Mayor Ron Payne
, also a member of the MidState Corridor group, did not attend the group's most recent meeting. But he said he remains interested in the project because of its potential impact on Owensboro and believes it will eventually happen.
"To my understanding, it is in the Indiana road plan and it is a matter of Indiana funding it," Payne said. "I've backed away because there is not much more we can do. We have indicated the significance of the road. It may not be called I-67, but it's going to happen." ....
In Indiana, the blue ribbon panel said, the state would need to build 29.6 miles of new four-lane road south from Petersburg in northern Pike County and upgrade 25.8 miles of U.S. 231 to the Natcher Bridge.

edit

The article also mentions that "Future I-65 Spur" signs were put up along the Natcher Parkway in late August.

codyg1985

Ugh. Just build a four-lane US 231 between I-64 and I-69 instead of making it a freeway. Then, if a freeway is warranted, then the upgrades will be easy from there.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

GreenLanternCorps

With the Natcher being designated a Future I-165.  I thought we needed a thread for it.

GreenLanternCorps

I think that some construction has been started to upgrade the Natcher to interstate standards has already started.  But I am not sure where.  I am pretty sure that a good chunk of the freeway is already at interstate standards and there are only a few interchanges that need to be upgraded to get the road signed as I-165.

Will look for details if I get a chance (unless somebody beats me to it.)   :-D

hbelkins

Earlier this year there was a pavement rehab project underway just south of the WK Parkway, but I don't know of any other major construction on the Natcher.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Captain Jack

Ran it today from Owensboro to Bowling Green. There is construction going on between the Beaver Dam interchange and the WK. Looks like they are working primarily in the median, with some surface work as well.

GreenLanternCorps

paulthemapguy

I wish it was I-365, just to eliminate duplicity, even if the other 165 is a good 500 miles away.  It makes sense as an odd x65 though.  Definitely one of the better numbering decisions AASHTO has made lately.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Captain Jack on November 03, 2017, 12:44:09 AM
Ran it today from Owensboro to Bowling Green. There is construction going on between the Beaver Dam interchange and the WK. Looks like they are working primarily in the median, with some surface work as well.

Work is about finished - they did a diamond-grinding job through there and as of Friday, the crews were taking out the median crossovers.  It'll bring my Owensboro-Bowling Green commutes back up to normal speed.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 28, 2016, 04:27:08 PM
Interstate 565? I would have prefered the Interstate 165 designation for the William Natcher Parkway.
Congratulations. Your wish has been granted. They swapped I-565 for I-165.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

dvferyance

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 03, 2017, 11:44:10 PM
I wish it was I-365, just to eliminate duplicity, even if the other 165 is a good 500 miles away.  It makes sense as an odd x65 though.  Definitely one of the better numbering decisions AASHTO has made lately.
Wasn't it going to be I-565? Now it's I-165 so it's good bet that next it will be I-365.

sparker

Quote from: dvferyance on March 23, 2018, 01:07:23 PM
Wasn't it going to be I-565? Now it's I-165 so it's good bet that next it will be I-365.

Unless someone with a degree of clout from Owensboro emulates Ron Payne, the former mayor, and pushes to get the Natcher (and the Audubon, for good measure) a 2di like 61 or 63.  Wouldn't put it past that crowd -- and I'm certain that with a bit of whining and/or cajoling they could get a Congressperson or two to "run with the ball" regarding such an effort.   

Life in Paradise

Quote from: sparker on March 23, 2018, 05:00:07 PM

Unless someone with a degree of clout from Owensboro emulates Ron Payne, the former mayor, and pushes to get the Natcher (and the Audubon, for good measure) a 2di like 61 or 63.  Wouldn't put it past that crowd -- and I'm certain that with a bit of whining and/or cajoling they could get a Congressperson or two to "run with the ball" regarding such an effort.   
If Kentucky were North Carolina or Texas, it would already have a 2-d assigned.

sparker

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 24, 2018, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 23, 2018, 05:00:07 PM

If Kentucky were North Carolina or Texas, it would already have a 2-d assigned.

Quite true -- but in NC and TX, the state DOT's tend to get behind such actions early on in the process; KYDOT doesn't seem to follow that leadership pattern, particularly in regards to designations -- or maybe since they've already got I-169 assigned to the southern Pennyrile, I-165 was considered appropriate for the Natcher.  In any case, there's a bit of work to do before any Interstate shields are deployed.   

seicer

Well, for one, there isn't much of a reason. The parkways have existed for decades before and the only reason they are being upgraded is that federal dollars can be assigned to projects that are needed: interchange reconstructions to remove the last vestiges of the toll plazas, for instance. Businesses that weren't enticed to locate along what is otherwise an interstate-grade highway won't locate just because it now has a shield.

In other states, the interstates are replacing two- and four-lane highways that are of not interstate-grade.

jnewkirk77

2018's construction season looks like we're going to see revamped ramps at the Natcher and WKP. Work began recently on the NW-quadrant ramps (SB to WB and WB to SB) and it does appear that there will be a bit longer acceleration lane going SB to WB.  I think that was one of the things they had to do to the Pennyrile interchanges when they converted it to I-69.

Also, I've seen recently some survey work at the KY 69 interchange, so hopefully that gets converted from toll booth cloverleaf to diamond soon ...

jnewkirk77

Work has pretty well ramped up along the Natcher from south of Hartford to US 60. Modifications are being made to meet Interstate standards, and it appears the signs for I-165 will go up possibly as soon as next month:

https://www.owensborotimes.com/news/2018/09/modified-agreement-speeds-up-daviess-countys-i-165-spur-project/

So, at long last, Owensboro will have its Interstate ... just one with a 55 speed limit and 9-foot width limit through the end of next June. Still, it's progress!

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ctkatz

have they updated those old tollbooth exits yet? satellite images on google maps says no, but then again satellite images don't show the lincoln or lewis and clark bridges either on google earth.

tdindy88

Did I read that they are changing the exit numbers again? Weren't they just changed?

2trailertrucker

Not all of the Natcher is being converted to I-165:

Drivers should look for new exit numbers at 11 interchanges. A section of the Natcher Parkway from the I-65 interchange to U.S. 231 Scottsville Road will not be a part of the I-165 designation due to federal guidelines. It will remain numbered as KY 9007. The Plano Road interchange will be renumbered to Exit 0.

From the WBKO link

mvak36

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on March 07, 2019, 05:30:17 AM
Not all of the Natcher is being converted to I-165:

Drivers should look for new exit numbers at 11 interchanges. A section of the Natcher Parkway from the I-65 interchange to U.S. 231 Scottsville Road will not be a part of the I-165 designation due to federal guidelines. It will remain numbered as KY 9007. The Plano Road interchange will be renumbered to Exit 0.

From the WBKO link

That section looks like it's just east of I-65. If I had to guess, that's because it doesn't end at a road that's a part of the NHS.

Are they planning on upgrading the cloverleaf interchanges soon?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.