News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

The "Main Street" of Barrow, AK

My "oceanfront" hotel overlooking the Arctic:

formulanone

^ Nice! Did you fly in, or get a pilot vehicle to take you there?

Quillz

Quote from: formulanone on February 23, 2024, 09:15:25 PM
^ Nice! Did you fly in, or get a pilot vehicle to take you there?
Just took a flight up there from Anchorage, with brief stops in Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay. Simple commercial flight.

I've got a lot more.

Max Rockatansky

Just returned from a trip to Jalisco state in Mexico. 

A cobblestone family farm road at sundown near Zacolaco de Torres in Jalisco, Mexico:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Federal Highway GUA 10D (Southern Bypass of Guadalajara) east of Federal Highway 23 approaching Grande de Santiago River:

IMG_1903 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Federal Highway 80D near Zapotanejo:

IMG_1960 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The entrance road into Santa Ana de Guadalupe:

IMG_2047 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Southbound Jalisco Route 304 at Federal Highway 80D near Jalostotitlan:

IMG_2093 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2024, 09:11:49 PM
A cobblestone family farm road at sundown near Zacolaco de Torres in Jalisco, Mexico:

The lighting makes the agave look absolutely gorgeous!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

The amusing part is getting out there from town included crossing an Autopista (at-grade) and five different types of road surfaces within three miles.

roadman65

A US 199 shield in the Redwood Forest.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52064897131
I think the headlight glare makes this look cool.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52065383110
Here's another up the road where the road is between trees in the same forest.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

US Route 101 approaching the end of the Bayshore Freeway towards the junction of the Central Freeway and Interstate 80 in San Francisco:

California State Route 152 at San Felipe Lake west of Pacheco Pass:

IMG_2206 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

US Route 101 on the Bayshore Freeway in South San Francisco facing San Bruno Mountain:

IMG_2351 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Northbound US Route 101 on the Central Freeway at Exit 433C:

IMG_2427 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

California State Route 1 on Park Presidio Boulevard at the General Douglas MacArthur Tunnel:

IMG_2557 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Guadalupe Canyon Parkway descending towards San Francisco Bay:

IMG_2699 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

California State Route 92 on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge over San Francisco Bay:

IMG_2712 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Patterson Pass Road:

IMG_2756 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I've lived within 2 hours of this location for 36 of my 49 years and didn't know it existed.
(Westbound)

(Eastbound)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Rothman

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 21, 2024, 10:16:26 PM
I've lived within 2 hours of this location for 36 of my 49 years and didn't know it existed.
(Westbound)

(Eastbound)

So...where is it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Quillz

I'm guessing the middle of nowhere, Ohio.

loosegravel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2024, 09:11:49 PM
Just returned from a trip to Jalisco state in Mexico. 

That's fascinating.   Is it not unusual to come across these 'cobblestone roads?'

I'm curious how far back in time does this road date?   Am I seeing a volcano on the horizon?

Max Rockatansky

It is a family-owned road that significantly predates Autopista 54D being constructed.  My wife's aunt said the road has been there here entire life (she is 80).  But yes, cobblestone roads aren't uncommon.  In fact, the one in front of the house is a mix of cobblestone patched together with modern pavers:

IMG_1789 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The hill (Chiquihuitillo Hill) in the background is near the town of Zacoalco de Torres.  I'm unclear if it is volcanic in origin but I haven't seen any overt indications that it is.  This is what I wrote about it a couple years ago after I did some research:

"The area that is now Zacoalco de Torres was settled by the Aztecs in 1264.  The Aztecs settled upon Chiquihuitillo Hill which rests between Laguna de Zacoalco and Laguna de San Marcos.  In 1524 the Spanish arrived in the Aztec lands surrounding Laguna de Zacoalco.  Most Aztecs fled to the south towards Laguna de Sayula in response to Spanish Conquistador Francisco Cortes de San Buenaventura attempting to subdue them by force.  The Spanish invasion prompted the commissioning of the Town of Zacoalco."

Max Rockatansky

Went on something of a ghost town kick yesterday in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Usually this pays off with all sorts of weird roads and stuff like unique bridges. 

Former California State Route 16 at the old Deer Creek Bridge in Slough House:

The Michigan Bar Road Bridge at the Consumnes River.  The deck was constructed in 1947, I suspect the pilings are likely far older:

Calaveritas Road facing north into what is left of the namesake community and the trestle for Cement Plant Road.

IMG_3129 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Dogtown Road in Calaveras County at San Domingo Creek.  The namesake community was located nearby (behind where I took the photo):

loosegravel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2024, 09:22:24 AM
It is a family-owned road that significantly predates Autopista 54D being constructed.  My wife's aunt said the road has been there here entire life (she is 80).  But yes, cobblestone roads aren't uncommon.  In fact, the one in front of the house is a mix of cobblestone patched together with modern pavers:

IMG_1789 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The hill (Chiquihuitillo Hill) in the background is near the town of Zacoalco de Torres.  I'm unclear if it is volcanic in origin but I haven't seen any overt indications that it is.  This is what I wrote about it a couple years ago after I did some research:

"The area that is now Zacoalco de Torres was settled by the Aztecs in 1264.  The Aztecs settled upon Chiquihuitillo Hill which rests between Laguna de Zacoalco and Laguna de San Marcos.  In 1524 the Spanish arrived in the Aztec lands surrounding Laguna de Zacoalco.  Most Aztecs fled to the south towards Laguna de Sayula in response to Spanish Conquistador Francisco Cortes de San Buenaventura attempting to subdue them by force.  The Spanish invasion prompted the commissioning of the Town of Zacoalco."

For the past couple of years I've been on this reading binge about the Aztecs - and for that matter the Incas as well.

Bernal del Castillo wrote a fascinating first-hand account of the Aztecs when he accompanied Cortez.
I also must inclucde the 2 volume set written back in the 1800s by Wm. H. Prescott that was equally as fascinating.

It was recorded how well the road system was put in place by the Aztecs across their empire and I immediately thought there possibly was a connection with these 'cobblestone' roads.

Max Rockatansky

Probably pretty unlikely.  The agave farm is up in the mountains east of town and above the lake basin.  While it isn't impossible I'm pretty sure there wasn't a large enough settlement in the area until the Spanish showed up which would have merited a somewhat sophisticated irrigation system.  The road more or less just dead ends at a steep mountainous incline.

loosegravel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2024, 10:01:49 AM
Probably pretty unlikely.  The agave farm is up in the mountains east of town and above the lake basin.  While it isn't impossible I'm pretty sure there wasn't a large enough settlement in the area until the Spanish showed up which would have merited a somewhat sophisticated irrigation system.  The road more or less just dead ends at a steep mountainous incline.

Yeah, without doing some quick research I dunno if the peoples who inhabited the Jalisco region were even subjects of the Aztec empire.  But if they weren't I'm sure they did a lot of commerce with them. 

I believe the Spaniards used their native allies to help conquer the Jalisco area after they overpowered Montezuma & the Aztecs.

Obviously Mexico is rich in history - sadly much of it lost forever.

The ancient 'road system' that connected the Aztec & Inca empires were amazing and duly noted by historians but obviously were created only for human traffic except in the case of the Incas who used llamas.

Those cobblestone roads you pictured are still quite an undertaking nonetheless.

Max Rockatansky

Haul today from the Bakersfield Road Meet.

Eastbound Alfred Harrell Highway:

IMG_3489 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 178 approaching Kern River Canyon

IMG_3550 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3557 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 178 Kern River Canyon

IMG_3558 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3597 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3610 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Caliente-Bodfish Road

IMG_3861 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

formulanone

Max, you could put on a pretty good clinic on how to take road-going iPhone photos.

Max Rockatansky

The approach isn't very scientific but works.  It is amazing what a $3 black pillow case and change of configuration setting can accomplish. 

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/12119046254
I was blessed to be able to see and photograph the old Louisiana Green state highway shields before they removed them all for the black on white shields that are the current norm.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.