News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Unlike the last nor'easter, this one totally missed us. We got no more than a few wet flurries and sprinkles; otherwise just gray skies with temperatures hovering in the mid-30's.

What's strange is that, a week later, we still have a solid 6-8 inches of snow on the ground from the last storm. March snow doesn't usually stick around like this, especially considering temperatures have risen above freezing every day since the storm. I'm blaming the lack of sunshine.

Flint1979

25 degrees feels like 13 degrees right now in Saginaw, Michigan. 80% chance of snow overnight not letting up until about noon tomorrow about 3 inches of snow expected.

Eth

Sunny, but cold (48 now after a high of 49) and windy. We're under a freeze warning tonight (down here, sub-freezing temperatures in March are notable). Staying colder than average for the next week, with (what else?) rain this weekend.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Eth on March 08, 2018, 05:33:54 PM
Sunny, but cold (48 now after a high of 49) and windy. We're under a freeze warning tonight (down here, sub-freezing temperatures in March are notable). Staying colder than average for the next week, with (what else?) rain this weekend.
We got a low of 26 here in Indy. It was up to the 80s, nearly 90s, in February!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Hurricane Rex

Dry for a few days, hit 72 today. Supposed to hit 70 again tomorrow but I'm skeptical of that.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jp the roadgeek

Mother Nature HATES Southern New England
That is all
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

gonealookin

It looks like the Sierra Nevada will get one more round of substantial snow (several feet at the I-80 and US 50 summits) over the next few days.  Based on the calendar it's likely this would be the final event that would include any road closures until November.

The "Tahoe Daily Snow" skier forecast has a thorough discussion and usually turns out more accurate than the numbers hyped by traditional media.

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe/post/10946 

roadman

Right now (2:45 pm on 3-12-18) in Downtown Boston, it's sunny and 42 degrees.  However, 24 hours from now, we expect to be in the middle of a blizzard.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

Absolutely gorgeous today.  About 70 degrees, sunny, calm, a day out of summer.  Hasn't been this nice since Labor Day.

adventurernumber1

Today it's been very windy (and a little cold for this time of year as Spring comes forward), with wind gusts up to 25 and 30 MPH in my area, IIRC. Heck, there was even a few snow flurries falling when I was in the car on the way to school this morning.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 12, 2018, 04:05:37 PM
Absolutely gorgeous today.  About 70 degrees, sunny, calm, a day out of summer.  Hasn't been this nice since Labor Day.

It was in the low 70s and sunny on the 22nd of November in the south sound. By all accounts, today was comparable to that day, but not superior: https://goo.gl/YJyM1A

ET21

The first snow squall low of the meteorological spring season, where it goes from whiteout to sun to whiteout in minutes
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

D-Dey65

As of March 13, 2018; 59 degrees with a slight breeze. We have been getting cold nights that leave frost on the windows of our cars though.

jp the roadgeek

Feeling like I'm living a charmed life.  Right between a band of heavy snow to the west and The Main Event to the east.  I got about 4", but places about 20 miles west of me got up to 10", while about 30 miles south and east, they got about 2 feet. In RI and Eastern MA, it's even worse with blizzard conditions.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Eth

Quote from: Eth on March 08, 2018, 05:33:54 PM

I can pretty much use this exact paragraph again verbatim, though today was slightly warmer in the mid-50s (still forecast to freeze again tonight though). Well, and temperatures should be close to normal this weekend (mid-60s).

ghYHZ

I'm in eastern Nova Scotia. We've had three Nor'easters in about 12 days and each has started with a bit of snow then quickly changed to rain. It will be +3 or 37F today.

But go a little west from here to the Annapolis Valley, Northern Nova Scotia and on up into New Brunswick and they've got a fair amount of snow out of each storm.   

Bruce

This week has been swinging back and forth from sunny and warm weather to rain/hail. It's the best time of the year.

gonealookin

Here's what fell overnight on my deck, on the east shore of Lake Tahoe at 6500' elevation.  I don't have a yardstick, so see 12" ruler at lower left.  I-80 and CA-88 are closed this morning but US 50 is showing open.

Hurricane Rex

Having off and on showers and its holding around 55. Models don't change the temperature more than 5 degrees in the next 10 days but supposedly aome dry weather is on the way.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

KEVIN_224

The sunrise and sunset for Hartford, CT today is significant:

6:59 AM
7:00 PM
12 hours 1 minute

The day is now longer than the night until September. I believe the spring equinox is on Tuesday around 12:15 PM Eastern. :)

On the down side, it's supposed to drop to the mid-teens here tonight. :(

jakeroot

Exactly a 12 hour "day" here in Seattle...

adventurernumber1

Yesterday (especially once night arrived), it was pretty insane in my region. Right exactly where I am (Dalton, Georgia) never actually got much worse than thunderstorms, but surrounding areas (especially farther south and west) were not as fortunate. Elsewhere in the area, there was a risk of hail and tornadoes (and of course very severe thunderstorms), and IIRC, I think my mom showed me a video of what may have been a tornado in Cullman, Alabama (northeast and eastern Alabama was hit the hardest of them all). It was definitely crazy, but the fact that it happened, and during this time of the year, doesn't surprise me at all, actually. This is because late Winter and Spring sport the worst tornado and severe weather risks down here in the South (things really ramp up in late February and March, typically). Dixie Alley (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc.) can be just as prone to tornadoes as Tornado alley itself (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, etc.), but the activity in these places varies at different parts of the year. In the late Winter and Spring, Dixie Alley sees the most action, but in the Summer, Tornado Alley sees the most action. So needless to say, this probably won't be the last time something like this happens in my region for this season.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

1995hoo

Out the kitchen window at about 9:10 this morning. Coming down pretty hard. It's that thick wet heavy stuff.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Eth

We regret to inform you that spring has been cancelled this year.

Well, okay, the severe weather mentioned a couple posts up by adventurernumber1 was pretty springlike. Down here inside I-285, I got a light show that kept me from falling asleep for a couple hours, but all the tornadic activity was confined to the west.

Today, though, is cold and windy, which seems to have been a theme for Wednesdays lately for some reason. 39 degrees at 10 AM; we might manage to hit 50 today (average for this date is 66).

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Eth on March 21, 2018, 09:59:48 AM
We regret to inform you that spring has been cancelled this year.

Well, okay, the severe weather mentioned a couple posts up by adventurernumber1 was pretty springlike. Down here inside I-285, I got a light show that kept me from falling asleep for a couple hours, but all the tornadic activity was confined to the west.

Today, though, is cold and windy, which seems to have been a theme for Wednesdays lately for some reason. 39 degrees at 10 AM; we might manage to hit 50 today (average for this date is 66).

Yeah, with all those storms it must have brought in a cold front, because it is extremely cold and windy up here as well. It got very cold very fast, and the wind was going absolutely nuts in my area yesterday. Throughout the entire day, the wind gusts were insane - the wind was howling wildly periodically, and there would be limbs banging up against the windows sometimes. Ironically, it seems that it was those very storms that has now set us back for the season, as now it is much, much colder.  :-o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.