News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

MNHighwayMan

Had a pretty lightning show this morning, from about 03:30—05:00, which was followed by a brief downpour. It's cooled off quite a bit, but that won't last, as it's also supposed to heat up today and lead to thunderstorms this afternoon. These storms are currently predicted to carry a risk of significant hail (2+ inch diameter hail), as depicted by the NWS hail outlook for today:

Edit: Never mind. In the latest NWS outlook, it seems that the storms and related systems this morning have greatly tempered the severe risk for later today. Talk about disappointment. :-/

Mark68

Severe storms expected today from noon until about 5 (pretty early in the day for us). Showers to continue into the evening. Expected high of 70 before the storms move in.

62 tomorrow.

We may finally see our first 90 degree day late next week.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

US 89

We had a cold front move through Salt Lake yesterday evening. It did bring a couple rain showers, but was much more notable for the temperature drop since it brought in some of the coldest mid-level temperatures observed at this time of year since the 1950s.

The low last night was 48, and it's 57 at the airport as I type this. It's only supposed to get up to 67 today, which will make this one of the coldest summer solstices ever in Salt Lake. But the cold won't last long; depending on exactly how the weather systems set up next week, we may hit our first 90 degree day around Tues/Wed next week. This will be one of our latest first 90 degree days ever; the average is June 3.

Hurricane Rex

Back to cool and we might be getting some showers in a few weeks. That's exactly what we need.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

It's been very, very warm in DC since I arrived last week. Mid-90s earlier in the week made for some very uncomfortable walks around the District. Went to a water park yesterday, partly expecting some heat. Ended up being quite windy, though still low 80s.

Got a nice sunburn...not so comfortable today. Gorgeous weekend ahead, though! Mid-80s, relatively low humidity.

zzcarp

It's perfect in Denver. Overcast and temps in the low 50s right now. We've had more precip this year to date than we had all last year. And more snow in the mountains tonight!
So many miles and so many roads

thspfc

Quote from: zzcarp on June 22, 2019, 11:42:04 AM
It's perfect in Denver. Overcast and temps in the low 50s right now. We've had more precip this year to date than we had all last year. And more snow in the mountains tonight!
I saw a picture of Steamboat Springs recently, and it looks like there's more snow there now than there was when I went there in March. And this was a good year for skiing!

In Madison it's getting really hot, likely over 90 by next week. Good time to be up north, where it's a perfect sunny and 75 today.

Mark68

Quote from: thspfc on June 22, 2019, 11:58:16 AM
Quote from: zzcarp on June 22, 2019, 11:42:04 AM
I saw a picture of Steamboat Springs recently, and it looks like there’s more snow there now than there was when I went there in March. And this was a good year for skiing!

In Madison it’s getting really hot, likely over 90 by next week. Good time to be up north, where it’s a perfect sunny and 75 today.

Some areas near Steamboat (Rabbit Ears Pass) got about two feet.

We're actually supposed to be in the 90s (for the first time all year) by the end of this week. Average first 90-degree day is June 13.

Last year, we had several in May.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on June 22, 2019, 11:34:25 AM
It's been very, very warm in DC since I arrived last week. Mid-90s earlier in the week made for some very uncomfortable walks around the District.

That's one reason I'm glad I live as far north as I do: less extreme heat, plus more daylight, making for very pleasant summers in tandem.  :)

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on June 24, 2019, 02:22:57 PM
It's been very, very warm in DC since I arrived last week. Mid-90s earlier in the week made for some very uncomfortable walks around the District.

That's one reason I'm glad I live as far north as I do: less extreme heat, plus more daylight, making for very pleasant summers in tandem.  :)

I was in Victor last weekend. Miserable weather. I'll take some humidity over clouds and rain.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on June 24, 2019, 08:29:47 PM
I was in Victor last weekend. Miserable weather. I'll take some humidity over clouds and rain.

Victor, NY? That's not far from me, only about 20 minutes south.

We've had a few wet months -- if it's constantly raining, then it's spring, not summer -- but it seems like real summer weather has finally arrived.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on June 25, 2019, 01:17:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 24, 2019, 08:29:47 PM

Victor, NY? That's not far from me, only about 20 minutes south.

We've had a few wet months -- if it's constantly raining, then it's spring, not summer -- but it seems like real summer weather has finally arrived.

Yes indeed. We have some close friends in Victor that we stayed with through last weekend. Some photos are on my Facebook profile (if you can see them...I don't remember my privacy settings).

I last visited in August 2011, and was treated to some excellent thunderstorms. But on this particular occasion, I quite enjoyed the drive back to DC, as it got progressively warmer and drier (though no more humid--it was raining in NY after all!)

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on June 25, 2019, 05:52:47 PM
Yes indeed. We have some close friends in Victor that we stayed with through last weekend. Some photos are on my Facebook profile (if you can see them...I don't remember my privacy settings).

I last visited in August 2011, and was treated to some excellent thunderstorms. But on this particular occasion, I quite enjoyed the drive back to DC, as it got progressively warmer and drier (though no more humid--it was raining in NY after all!)

I see. We did have heavy rain and flash flooding on Thursday, but the weekend turned out to be warm and mostly sunny, one of the best yet. Typically, March thru May are the months when the weather change is most noticeable as you head south. In your case, the change likely wasn't related to directionality and would have happened (though maybe not to the same extent) even if you stayed. Sorry you missed out on our more typical summer weather! :)

I too really enjoy the trip down to the capital region, at least between May and October! Despite my grumblings about US 15, it's a nice scenic route overall, and I eagerly await completion of the CSVT project.

ET21

Finally getting our first 90 degree days of 2019 starting Friday
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on June 25, 2019, 09:32:01 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 25, 2019, 05:52:47 PM

I see. We did have heavy rain and flash flooding on Thursday, but the weekend turned out to be warm and mostly sunny, one of the best yet. Typically, March thru May are the months when the weather change is most noticeable as you head south. In your case, the change likely wasn't related to directionality and would have happened (though maybe not to the same extent) even if you stayed. Sorry you missed out on our more typical summer weather! :)

I too really enjoy the trip down to the capital region, at least between May and October! Despite my grumblings about US 15, it's a nice scenic route overall, and I eagerly await completion of the CSVT project.

I should specify that it was the weekend of 14-16 June, which IMO was spectacularly rainy, although it wasn't too cold. I've heard it's gotten a bit warmer, which is nice, though I'm guessing you're not a fan? :-D  It's true that it's not always related to latitudinal position, especially in the east, but it was certainly noticeable this time. Especially by Harrisburg.

US-15 is certainly far from the worst road I've driven, though it's not a great road either. Was very interesting to see how many homes butted right up to the road in parts (I think I saw some Pennsylvania Dutch and the occasional horse & buggy). I saw some half-built interchanges along the route, and wasn't sure exactly what they were for. Thanks for the tip! I look forward to a future drive myself.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on June 26, 2019, 09:58:33 PMI should specify that it was the weekend of 14-16 June, which IMO was spectacularly rainy, although it wasn't too cold. I've heard it's gotten a bit warmer, which is nice, though I'm guessing you're not a fan?

OK, gotcha now. Yes, this past weekend was considerably nicer than the one prior!
I am certainly glad that sunshine and summer weather have arrived, but at the same time, I'm glad we don't have the 90+ degree temps common in the DC area.  :)

Quote from: jakeroot on June 26, 2019, 09:58:33 PMUS-15 is certainly far from the worst road I've driven, though it's not a great road either. Was very interesting to see how many homes butted right up to the road in parts (I think I saw some Pennsylvania Dutch and the occasional horse & buggy). I saw some half-built interchanges along the route, and wasn't sure exactly what they were for. Thanks for the tip! I look forward to a future drive myself.

On the whole, I agree. I actually would consider nominating the stretch from Williamsport north to the NY line as among the better roads I've driven, especially in the Northeast. It's scenic, relatively new construction, built to a high standard, has some curvature and grades but not excessive, and a 70 mph speed limit, unheard of in NY, so a nice change for me!

Shamokin Dam, OTOH... definitely among the worst roads and probably one of the highest truck percentages on a surface street in the country. In providing a freeway bypass, CSVT will be very welcome relief. I might as well mention the thread devoted to the project: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5665.0

thspfc

An hour ago it looked like we were in for a banger of a t-storm, but it's tapered off. For the rest of the forecast I see nothing but heat.

US 89

After staying abnormally cool for most of the month, we finally broke 90 for the first time this year yesterday and the high today was 95. Not terrible when the dewpoints are in the mid-30s, but still not comfortable. It's also been fairly windy the past few days.

Luckily relief is in sight. It appears some moisture from Tropical Storm Alvin will be pulled into the interior west in a monsoon-like pattern, which will give us a chance for some showers and thunderstorms over the weekend primarily in mountain areas. The main concern will probably be wind for Saturday's storms, shifting to more of a heavy rain threat for Sunday.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on June 27, 2019, 09:59:13 AM
Shamokin Dam, OTOH... definitely among the worst roads and probably one of the highest truck percentages on a surface street in the country. In providing a freeway bypass, CSVT will be very welcome relief. I might as well mention the thread devoted to the project: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5665.0

YES! That area was terrible. I very nearly slit my wrists driving through that town. Finishing that obvious stub would be a massive improvement. I remember pointing out the US-15 stub to my mother as an example of how freeways funds dried up in some areas of the country, especially in the rust belt. No idea there was an actual plan to extend it.

Quote from: US 89 on June 29, 2019, 12:28:41 AM
After staying abnormally cool for most of the month, we finally broke 90 for the first time this year yesterday and the high today was 95. Not terrible when the dewpoints are in the mid-30s, but still not comfortable. It's also been fairly windy the past few days.

Wow. Even Seattle, which normally registers around four 90+ days each year, registered a 95 degree reading a couple weeks ago, and summer only just started.

CNGL-Leudimin

Enduring a heat wave here, like most of Europe. Yesterday we had a high of 105, and today's high is going to be even higher! At least it will start to cool down on Sunday...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ipeters61

This afternoon, around 5pm, I was coming home from the beach and was in the middle of a severe thunderstorm along DE-1 between Exit 83 (South Frederica) and Exit 91 (Kitts Hummock/south side of Dover AFB).  It was absolutely downpouring and at points too difficult to see to drive safely (I had to pull into the shoulder twice).

I always find the temperature changes to be interesting in those storms.  When I left Dover at 1:30 and when I left Lewes around 4:30, the temperature (according to my car) was 93 degrees.  After the storm, it was 68 degrees.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Around 90 degrees and sunny
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 03, 2019, 12:09:00 PM
Around 90 degrees and sunny
Talk about a perfect ten of a temperature jump. Geez.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.