News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2022, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 03:10:22 PM
High risk in the near future?

Doubtful; they rarely revise the risk categories this close to the start of an event. Actually, I think they only issue new convective outlooks at 0600Z and 1200Z (and maybe 1800Z), so there isn't time for another update before the event starts.

Regularly scheduled convective outlooks for day 1 come at 0600Z, 1300Z, 1630Z, 2000Z, and 0100Z. They can do emergency updates but that is exceptionally rare.

A high risk would be extremely unlikely for today given that the moderate itself was a 1630 upgrade (they started the day off at Enhanced). I was also a little surprised at how far east they pushed the MDT, but it makes sense - they were holding back due to the potential of morning thunderstorms working over some of the instability, but that did not happen.

Scott5114

Thanks for the info.

I suppose if I ever disagree with the convective outlook I could just run down the street and yell at them–the Storm Prediction Center is right off SH-9 here in Norman, after all. I've toured the facility during the Weather Festival that they hold annually, although we were only able to look at the SPC offices through the window (though they had lots of stuff outside the office showing what it is they do and how, including maps marked up by hand that were used at some point during the forecast process that were free for the taking).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Currently 7 C (44 F) here, which is fairly warm for 2am.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Ted$8roadFan

Sunny and in the 50s -60s. First time in a while. Pick of the week.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 05, 2022, 01:37:44 AM
I suppose if I ever disagree with the convective outlook I could just run down the street and yell at them–the Storm Prediction Center is right off SH-9 here in Norman, after all.

Video, or it didn't happen.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

Rain with a Ford pickup stranded in the middle of AR-16 east of the Illinois River bridge and a beaver swimming on the road toward it.  Guess his lodge got washed away.  Lots of closed county roads and submerged bridge approaches right now.  Search and rescue on one of the county roads a little over a mile from my house to rescue horses and people in trailer houses that are in Clear Creek's new boundaries.  Logs and very large rocks on the road where the graders/loaders haven't cleared them off yet.

jgb191

Brownsville:      99 high, 80 low
Corpus Christi:  98 high, 77 low  (with fog overnight)
Laredo:           107 high, 76 low
McAllen:          104 high, 78 low

Moderately humid with dew points in the 70s; so heat index will range from 110-115. 

This is considerably above normal for early May, which averages low-90s to mid-90s for highs and upper 60s to low-70s at night.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

ozarkman417

This week... five inches of rain and counting. A pretty sizable lake has formed at a nearby park that is knee deep. Last time this lake formed two years ago, I took a boat down to it.

gonealookin

In Miramar Beach (Destin) FL for a beach trip of six full days.  Today looks like the one crappy day; a line of thunderstorms went through around dawn and the Main Event for stormy, windy weather is supposed to be this afternoon.  Maybe I can squeeze in a few hours at the beach this morning.  Otherwise, yesterday was delightful and Saturday-Tuesday look excellent as well, no rain forecast with beach temps around 80 and even the humidity is supposed to be down some following today's front.

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 06, 2022, 01:19:25 AM
This week... five inches of rain and counting. A pretty sizable lake has formed at a nearby park that is knee deep. Last time this lake formed two years ago, I took a boat down to it.

ICT has recorded 3.55 inches of rain in the last seven days.  1.84 of them were yesterday.

According to the forecast, though, we're out of it now.  It's still cloudy and drizzly right now, but the skies are supposed to clear up by the afternoon, and then it's sunny skies in the forecast for the next week or two.  I've worn flannel shirts the last couple of days, but Mother's Day is supposed to get up into the 90s.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US71

sunny and 75

May be 90 tomorrow
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CoreySamson

90 degrees today, humid, and partly cloudy. After refereeing soccer games all day in that, I have a massive heat headache (yay, fun!).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jgb191

Heat Index in Laredo soared to 118 degrees today (high of 103 degrees along with the dew point of 76 degrees).  This is normal in August but not in early May.

And moisture from the gulf + summer-like temperature + strong breeze aloft = severe thunderstorms likely around sunset tonight.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

US71

75, (or 87 depending which website you use) sunny and humid
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

7/8

It's starting to feel like summer here this week. The weekend was sunny with highs of 16C (61F) and it's been getting warmer each day. Got to wear T-shirt and shorts for the first time this year, though I'll admit it was a tad cool when the breeze picked up. :)

By Wednesday the high will be 25C (77F), and it's expected to be mainly sunny until the weekend, which has potential thunderstorms.

kphoger

Mid to upper 90s for the high temperatures lately.  We turned on the a/c last week in advance and have now realized it must have a leak or something.  The maintenance guy can't come out till Friday at the latest.  It was 83°F in the house when we woke up this morning.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 11:22:41 AMMid to upper 90s for the high temperatures lately.  We turned on the a/c last week in advance and have now realized it must have a leak or something.  The maintenance guy can't come out till Friday at the latest.  It was 83°F in the house when we woke up this morning.

We turned on ours last Sunday.

Are your evaporator coils iced up (often evident as condensation and water trickling out of the box that holds it)?  As we learned last summer when we had to have our A/C recharged, that is a telltale sign of too little refrigerant in the system.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 10, 2022, 02:10:29 PM
Are your evaporator coils iced up (often evident as condensation and water trickling out of the box that holds it)?  As we learned last summer when we had to have our A/C recharged, that is a telltale sign of too little refrigerant in the system.

Rental house.

Problem?  Solution:  call the landlords.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 11:22:41 AM
Mid to upper 90s for the high temperatures lately.  We turned on the a/c last week in advance and have now realized it must have a leak or something.  The maintenance guy can't come out till Friday at the latest.  It was 83°F in the house when we woke up this morning.

A good friend from church, who is the father of one of the children in my wife's home daycare, brought over a portable a/c unit for us to put in the living room.  With it running, she's been able to keep that part of the house at a steady 85°F today.  That's a good thing, because she would be legally required to close daycare at 86°F.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 06:39:26 PM

A good friend from church, who is the father of one of the children in my wife's home daycare, brought over a portable a/c unit for us to put in the living room.  With it running, she's been able to keep that part of the house at a steady 85°F today.  That's a good thing, because she would be legally required to close daycare at 86°F.

Ha!...I'll have to tell my wife we keep the house one degree above legally mandated daycare temperatures for Kansas during the summer.

Speaking of summer and California, this has been an unusually cool year.  It's been in the high 60s since Sunday.  There was even a May snow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains which is pretty unusual for this time of year.  We hit the 90s by the weekend but taper off into the high 80s from there.  I wonder if we will turn on the AC before June at this rate?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2022, 07:07:02 PM
I'll have to tell my wife we keep the house one degree above legally mandated daycare temperatures for Kansas during the summer.

Will that help you win an argument?   :-P
Male pronouns, please.

ET21

Very early heat wave with low 90s yesterday, today and potentially tomorrow before we start cooling back to our mid-May normal of 70 degrees. Some local ASOS stations broke record highs yesterday.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2022, 07:07:02 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 06:39:26 PM

Ha!...I'll have to tell my wife we keep the house one degree above legally mandated daycare temperatures for Kansas during the summer.

Speaking of summer and California, this has been an unusually cool year.  It's been in the high 60s since Sunday.  There was even a May snow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains which is pretty unusual for this time of year.  We hit the 90s by the weekend but taper off into the high 80s from there.  I wonder if we will turn on the AC before June at this rate?

Not just Kansas.  California too.  However, I do see there's a rather vague exception to the 85°F maximum.

Quote from: California Code of Regulations
Title 22 – Social Security

Division 12 – Child Care Facility Licensing Regulations

Chapter 1 – Child Care Center General Licensing Requirements

Article 7 – Physical Environment

§ 101239 – Fixtures, Furniture, Equipment and Supplies

(a) A comfortable temperature for children shall be maintained at all times.

(1) The licensee shall maintain the temperature in rooms that children occupy between a minimum of 68 degrees F (20 degrees C) and a maximum of 85 degrees F (30 degrees C).

(A) In areas of extreme heat the maximum shall be 20 degrees F (11.1 degrees C) less than the outside temperature.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.