News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

A quick 2-5 inches of snow is expected overnight. Unfortunately, the low is 32 so accumulations won't be very high. What does accumulate will melt later in the day.

Even when the temperature is 33, accumulations cannot be ruled out due to how heavy the snow is expected to be.

Ted$8roadFan

hotdogPi

1 1/2 inches of snow expected and all the schools are closed because we were told it would be 6.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

epzik8

Snow has returned, although the bulk of it is to the west of me.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

elsmere241

It rained most of the night, and then switched to snow around 6:45.  It's still snowing - supposed to stop around 11:00 - and we'll get a few inches at least.

Noon update:  The snow stopped almost an hour ago (as predicted) and the sun came out, so it has already started to melt off.

1995hoo

Rained all night here too. Just started snowing within the past five minutes as I type this. Big flakes that aren't sticking to anything. We live to the south of DC and our area is forecast to get maybe an inch of snow, though it looks likely to be less than that. The heavier snow was forecast for a band north of the District (which fits with the previous two posts in this thread).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MATraveler128

We were expected to get a few inches but there's nothing at all here and most school districts were cancelled today.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

7/8

Today is a high of 2C (35F) and partly cloudy. After a week of warm weather, it'll finally start staying below 0C for a while. The snow here is completely gone (weird for mid-February!), but some flurries are expected this week.

webny99

The snow looks to be tracking considerably further south than the initial projection. The northern edge of the band was supposed to be as far north as the Finger Lakes in NY but it didn't come close. It's currently near Scranton which was supposed to get a foot but may end up with just an inch or two instead. Meanwhile, much of the NYC area and Long Island is getting more snow than expected.

Ted$8roadFan

34 with light rain.  No accumulating snow whatsoever.

Hunty2022

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

webny99

Another ~inch of snow this morning marks our 5th consecutive day with new snowfall. A coating on Thursday, an inch on Friday, a good 5-6 inches on Saturday AM, and another few dustings throughout the day yesterday. But we all knew this was coming at some point. What would February in the Great Lakes be without it?

Ted$8roadFan

ET21

Could be reaching near record warmth tomorrow if we get enough sun. After a brief cooldown this weekend, we're back to near 60 and potential record warmth next week
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on February 20, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
Could be reaching near record warmth tomorrow if we get enough sun. After a brief cooldown this weekend, we're back to near 60 and potential record warmth next week

Yeah, it's been nice.  Here in Wichita, it's currently 70°F and sunny.  Good to have the windows open.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Genghixiani

Supposed to get to 60 today, just to drop, for Saturday just to rise on Sunday-Monday, but Indiana weather is wild, as in it can change at any point. Hope it stays this warm.
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kphoger

Quote from: Genghixiani on February 21, 2024, 10:26:26 AM
but __________ weather is wild, as in it can change at any point.

Fill in your state's name here.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I'm glad to get away from the wild Oklahoma weather; it's a lot more consistent in Las Vegas. This has been the weather pretty much the entire time I've been here (although we did get some brief rain(!) yesterday).

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

63° and partly cloudy. A little breezy. Typical Colorado winter day. :)

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2024, 04:58:50 PM
I'm glad to get away from the wild Oklahoma weather; it's a lot more consistent in Las Vegas. This has been the weather pretty much the entire time I've been here (although we did get some brief rain(!) yesterday).

I think of Nevada as being almost always sunny. Is that a misconception or is it just the time of year?

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2024, 07:45:47 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2024, 04:58:50 PM

I think of Nevada as being almost always sunny. Is that a misconception or is it just the time of year?

No, that's Philadelphia

Nevada is a very large state, with a lot of variation in elevation, so the weather varies a lot in different parts of the state. Reno/Carson City and the Elko area get a lot of snow in the winter. (Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to make it out of Clark County so I can't speak to that out of personal experience.)

As for Southern Nevada, the deserty part, it has been pretty sunny for the week and a half I've been here, though there have been clouds here and there. (On the way home from the grocery store today I got to see a dramatic example of clouds rolling over the mountains north of the valley, which was super cool.) Statistically, the cloudiest month is December, which has a 78% chance of sunshine, and the least cloudy is June, which has a 91% chance of sunshine. (By comparison, in Rochester you have a 28% chance of sunshine in December, and a 68% chance in July, so you would probably find it to be noticeably more sunny than what you're used to.)

webny99

^Makes sense, my perception (and probably many people's when thinking about Nevada writ large) is mostly based on the desert parts of the state. And of course, more sunny than I'm used to is an easy bar to clear!

Scott5114

That's the funny thing about Nevada—most people think of Southern Nevada first, which makes sense because that's where the largest city is. But for the first half of the state's existence, all of the population was in Northern Nevada, which is where all the silver (and water) was, and thus was the logical part of the state to settle first.

Las Vegas becoming the state's largest city was more or less the result of a whole bunch of historical accidents that wouldn't happen if certain things hadn't lined up the way they did (like Arizona picking the wrong horse in the civil war, Hoover Dam being built where it was, the surrounding states having stricter laws, etc.).

jlam

Cooling down again after starting the week in the fifties. 37 and raining a very cold rain.

7/8

Yesterday was beautiful, high of 10C (50F), sunny with no clouds and no wind. I walked the dog with a light jacket, no gloves, and no tuque!

Today is also warm, reaching 12C (54F), but more interestingly had a thunderstorm at lunch. Pretty rare to have one in February!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.