News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

abandoned places

Started by danthecatrafficlightfan, February 20, 2019, 09:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danthecatrafficlightfan

on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again because Life is a Highway and i want to ride it all night long. if you're going my way i want to drive it all night long.

Max Rockatansky

Kinda of have a similar topic to this with ghost towning.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=23748.msg2384323#msg2384323

Incidentally the Sunnyside Swap Meet is hardly abandoned, it's just on the grounds of an old drive-in. 

abefroman329

There's all kinds of fascinating stuff out there thanks to satellite view in Google Maps.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 21, 2019, 09:09:07 AM
There's all kinds of fascinating stuff out there thanks to satellite view in Google Maps.

Still...way more fun to actual go see said derelict places.  We feature a lot of them on the Surewhynotnow blog, hence the link to the other thread.  I'm familiar with most of the locales the OP posted since I'm out of Fresno. 

danthecatrafficlightfan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2019, 09:25:27 AM

Still...way more fun to actual go see said derelict places.  We feature a lot of them on the Surewhynotnow blog, hence the link to the other thread.  I'm familiar with most of the locales the OP posted since I'm out of Fresno.

yes but the whole point of this thread is to give out locations of abandoned places so that people who are interested in them will know where to go to explore them!

also  max rockatansky what fresno drive-ins have you seen movies at!
on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again because Life is a Highway and i want to ride it all night long. if you're going my way i want to drive it all night long.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: danthecatrafficlightfan on February 21, 2019, 02:12:14 PM

yes but the whole point of this thread is to give out locations of abandoned places so that people who are interested in them will know where to go to explore them!

I haven't, I've seen a lot of the places just being out and about.  For example; that abandoned theater down on 14th Avenue and Lacey in Armona is the original alignment of CA 198.  Sometimes I got to the Sunnyside Swap Meet since they have some cheap automobilia. 

Regarding your first point, some context behind the image would spice this up a little.  For example; on Fowler Avenue between Jensen and North there is an abandoned rail grade.  That in of itself isn't all that exciting but when we have context behind the line itself and the siding that was there it gets more interesting:

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/12/lone-star-ghost-town-site-and-visalia.html

What I'm getting at is a brief summary to go along with the Google image will go a long way towards giving these abandonment threads a lot more legs.   

danthecatrafficlightfan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2019, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: danthecatrafficlightfan on February 21, 2019, 02:12:14 PM

yeah well here's a story about an abandoned cemetery in the middle of an interstate highway!

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-cemetery-inside-interstate-85-median.html

I haven't, I've seen a lot of the places just being out and about.  For example; that abandoned theater down on 14th Avenue and Lacey in Armona is the original alignment of CA 198.  Sometimes I got to the Sunnyside Swap Meet since they have some cheap automobilia. 

Regarding your first point, some context behind the image would spice this up a little.  For example; on Fowler Avenue between Jensen and North there is an abandoned rail grade.  That in of itself isn't all that exciting but when we have context behind the line itself and the siding that was there it gets more interesting:

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/12/lone-star-ghost-town-site-and-visalia.html

What I'm getting at is a brief summary to go along with the Google image will go a long way towards giving these abandonment threads a lot more legs.

Max Rockatansky

I'm assuming you meant to highlight the I-85 median cemetery that Adam wrote about...kind of got lost in the quote tabs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.