News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Grzrd on March 20, 2014, 12:34:56 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on October 28, 2013, 01:16:29 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on October 25, 2013, 08:18:20 AM
I-69 "inside" I-610 was also absent from AASHTO's recent posting of its route numbering decisions. I suspect FHWA has not to date granted as many design exceptions as TxDOT needs for an immediate I-69 designation of this section of US 59.  Maybe it will all be resolved in time for next Spring's AASHTO meeting......
TxDOT is now aiming for Spring 2014; here is an email update I just received:
TxDOT is continuing to study the existing US 59 to determine if it meets Interstate quality and also continuing the development of the Interstate designation request. These processes include discussions with FHWA. Although we had anticipated a Fall 2013 submittal, we are now looking at Spring 2014.
The good news is that it seems like they are working closely with FHWA in order to develop a successful submittal.

The Texas Transportation Commission ("TTC") has posted its March 27 Agenda.  It is anticipated that the TTC will authorize TxDOT to submit applications (yes, plural) for segments to receive respective I-69 designations (page 6/14 of pdf; page 6 of document):

Transportation Planning
Various Counties
- Authorize the submission of applications to the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) to establish segments of I-69 (MO)
In accordance with the procedures established by the Federal Highway Administration and AASHTO, this minute order authorizes the department to petition AASHTO to include various route segments in Texas as part of the Interstate Highway System as I-69.

I anticipate "inside I-610" in Houston will be one of the applications; any guesses regarding other applications?

My guesses would be US 281 in Falfurious  I-69C and the various sections of freeway on US 59 between Rosenberg and Victoria and around Cleveland and some points north.

Grzrd

The Texas Transportation Commission ("TTC") has posted its March 27 Agenda.  It is anticipated that the TTC will authorize TxDOT to submit applications (yes, plural) for segments to receive respective I-69 designations (page 6/14 of pdf; page 6 of document)

The TTC has posted the proposed Minute Order and it does not specify specific segments for TxDOT to petition AASHTO for designations; instead, it appears to give TxDOT standing permission to petition AASHTO as segments become interstate-grade:

Texas routes currently identified as part of the future I-69 alignment include segments of US 59, US 77, US 84 and US 281.
AASHTO applications will be submitted as route segments are determined to meet current interstate design standards, connect to an existing segment of the interstate system, and be of sufficient length to provide substantial service to the traveling public. Since the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering meets only twice a year, the department is seeking approval from the commission to submit applications for those segments already identified as part of the I-69 corridor as they become eligible for inclusion on the interstate system, rather than request commission action each time an individual segment becomes eligible. This will allow the department to proceed in the most efficient manner possible and avoid delays in adding future I-69 segments to the interstate system ....
The Texas Department of Transportation (department) proposes to designate several segments of highways in Texas as INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 69 (I-69) in the next six years.
This minute order authorizes the department to petition the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering to recognize those designated segments as I-69 that comply with federal regulations and are of sufficient length to provide substantial service to the traveling public.

IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED by the commission that the department is authorized to submit applications to the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering requesting the recognition of I-69 along various existing routes through Texas as those route segments become eligible for inclusion on the interstate system.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that following approval of the applications by the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering, the commission will designate such route segments as I-69 by minute order.

I-369 in Texarkana may be the current shortest segment to meet the "be of sufficient length to provide substantial service to the traveling public" standard.

I suppose that it is still possible that specific applications (US 59 in Houston?) will be submitted in time for AASHTO's May meeting.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Grzrd on March 24, 2014, 06:42:13 PM
The Texas Transportation Commission ("TTC") has posted its March 27 Agenda.  It is anticipated that the TTC will authorize TxDOT to submit applications (yes, plural) for segments to receive respective I-69 designations (page 6/14 of pdf; page 6 of document)

The TTC has posted the proposed Minute Order and it does not specify specific segments for TxDOT to petition AASHTO for designations; instead, it appears to give TxDOT standing permission to petition AASHTO as segments become interstate-grade:

Texas routes currently identified as part of the future I-69 alignment include segments of US 59, US 77, US 84 and US 281.
AASHTO applications will be submitted as route segments are determined to meet current interstate design standards, connect to an existing segment of the interstate system, and be of sufficient length to provide substantial service to the traveling public. Since the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering meets only twice a year, the department is seeking approval from the commission to submit applications for those segments already identified as part of the I-69 corridor as they become eligible for inclusion on the interstate system, rather than request commission action each time an individual segment becomes eligible. This will allow the department to proceed in the most efficient manner possible and avoid delays in adding future I-69 segments to the interstate system ....
The Texas Department of Transportation (department) proposes to designate several segments of highways in Texas as INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 69 (I-69) in the next six years.
This minute order authorizes the department to petition the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering to recognize those designated segments as I-69 that comply with federal regulations and are of sufficient length to provide substantial service to the traveling public.

IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED by the commission that the department is authorized to submit applications to the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering requesting the recognition of I-69 along various existing routes through Texas as those route segments become eligible for inclusion on the interstate system.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that following approval of the applications by the AASHTO Special Committee on US Route Numbering, the commission will designate such route segments as I-69 by minute order.

I-369 in Texarkana may be the current shortest segment to meet the "be of sufficient length to provide substantial service to the traveling public" standard.

I suppose that it is still possible that specific applications (US 59 in Houston?) will be submitted in time for AASHTO's May meeting.

I heard from a contact in the I-69 Alliance that there are two submitted sections of US 59.  First is the section between the 610s in Houston and the other is Loop 20 in Laredo.

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on February 17, 2013, 09:46:10 PM
281's usage may also go up a bit once the Falfurrias toll bypass is open (if it isn't already; it was well along two years ago last time I trekked down that way), which would leave George West as the only real slowdown from US 83 to I-37.
Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2013, 10:16:57 PM
http://www.txdot.gov/about_us/commission/2012_meetings/documents/transcripts/mar29.pdf
QuoteAgenda item 9c would remove the toll designation from a segment of US 281 in South Texas from south of FM 3066 northward through the City of Falfurrias to the Brooks County line. The main lanes of this 5.9-mile segment were originally designated as a toll project on the state highway system in 2007 in order to support the segment's improvement from an undivided four-lane road to a freeway.
In 2009, previously unanticipated federal funding became available through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, and this was used to help expedite and support construction of the freeway project in Falfurrias. In October 2011, a study concluded that the cost to install and maintain an electronic toll collection system on this segment is higher than forecasted toll revenues. Staff, therefore, recommends that the toll designation be removed from the mainlanes of US 281 from 0.9 miles south of FM 3066 northward to the Brooks County line, and that the segment operate as a non-tolled freeway on the state highway system.
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 20, 2014, 01:24:01 PM
I anticipate "inside I-610" in Houston will be one of the applications; any guesses regarding other applications?
My guesses would be US 281 in Falfurious  I-69C

I recently emailed TxDOT to ask about progress on the Falfurrias Expressway Project and it should be open to traffic in approximately a month:

The US 281 Falfurrias project is scheduled to be complete next month.  It will be constructed to Interstate standards and will not be tolled.

dariusb

Does anyone know how the progress of upgrading 59 to interstate standards in the Lufkn/Nacogdoches area is comin along? I've tried finding updated info online but to no avail. It's all older info.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

Henry

Quote from: dariusb on March 31, 2014, 03:34:46 PM
Does anyone know how the progress of upgrading 59 to interstate standards in the Lufkn/Nacogdoches area is comin along? I've tried finding updated info online but to no avail. It's all older info.
Methinks they'll wait until the other upgrades from Houston south are complete.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rickmastfan67

Has anybody gotten photographs proving that the first I-69 segment in Robstown, TX has been converted to I-69E?

yakra

There's some evidence of an upgrade at the US 59/69 split north of town:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/31.36981/-94.70953
http://maps.google.com/?ll=31.37064,-94.708951&t=k&z=16
No idea whether it will be part of I-69 though.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 31, 2014, 07:52:00 PM
Has anybody gotten photographs proving that the first I-69 segment in Robstown, TX has been converted to I-69E?
When was this supposed to have happened? It was I-69 at the end of last October. Kind of on the same topic, have reassurance markers for 69E and I-2 been posted? Only major interchange guide signs had the shields when we were there last fall.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

dariusb

Quote from: yakra on April 01, 2014, 02:23:38 PM
Thank you Yakra and Henry.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 01, 2014, 05:27:21 PM
When was this supposed to have happened? It was I-69 at the end of last October. Kind of on the same topic, have reassurance markers for 69E and I-2 been posted? Only major interchange guide signs had the shields when we were there last fall.

Well, both Google and OSM have been changed to show that segment as I-69E, that's why I'm asking.
http://goo.gl/maps/fSG7L

txstateends

I think this interchange work was an interim idea, not really a pre- I-69 thing.  The intersection, historically, wasn't built right for all the patterns of traffic.  It's tight for a major interchange, plus there are at-grades and driveways right by it without much, if any, room for service roads.  I-69 really needs to pass by to the east of this spot to avoid a worst-case eminent-domain issue.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Grzrd

In May, TxDOT will hold public meetings about their plans to upgrade US 59 to I-69 in El Campo and Wharton County.

El Campo:

TxDOT is proposing adding frontage roads along US 59 through El Campo. The proposed project would construct frontage roads and convert the existing US 59 lanes into a controlled access road that meets interstate standards.

Wharton County:

TxDOT proposes improving US 59 in Wharton County to interstate standards. The project would include frontage roads and divided highway with two main lanes in each direction.

This August 19, 2013 Angelina County map probably qualifies as older info, but it does include two short sections that are "under development to meet interstate standards and funded through construction":

The lower short section may be the construction work that yakra identified.

oscar

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 01, 2014, 05:27:21 PM

What I saw in south Texas last month:

-- AFAIK, I-69's Robstown segment was still signed as I-69, not I-69E.  Since I was focused on snagging the rather confusing US 77 business route through Robstown, I'm not sure I re-traveled the entire Robstown I-69 segment on this trip.

-- I saw no I-2, I-69C, or I-69E reassurance markers, just the shields on guide signs you saw (maybe a few more of them, including some relatively minor I-69E interchanges).  TxDOT seems content to sign those routes in the Brownsville region primarily as US 83, US 281, US 77, or US 77/83 respectively. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brian556

From The TxDOT Facebook page:

nolia_boi504

Have I-69 overhead signs started to be hung on Southwest Fwy? I noticed ONE overhead sign heading northbound about a mile before the 610 (west loop) exits that said "I-69 north downtown". About half mile later it was followed with a " US-59 north downtown" overhead sign.

I know 59/69 dual signs were added to the sides of the highway and on/off ramps but wasn't aware of overheads just yet.

I know 59/69 dual signs were added to the sides of the highway and on/off ramps but wasn't aware of overheads.

Nexus 5

txstateends

Quote from: Brian556 on April 21, 2014, 10:45:19 PM
From The TxDOT Facebook page:

Wait, I just noticed something (why it didn't come to me before, I don't know....) -- shouldn't there be a US 83 shield under the I-69E and US 77 side of the post?  Unless they know something we don't know about which routes are designated from here south to the border bridge...
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

nolia_boi504

Also noticed overhead I-69 N/S cosigned with US59 on the BW8 southbound to 69/59 interchange. I don't recall seeing that about a week ago. Glad to see the interstate shields finally showing up. Hopefully they will paint the blue shields on the roadway next.

Nexus 5

Henry

Quote from: Brian556 on April 21, 2014, 10:45:19 PM
That's funny, it looks more like a scene from southern FL (with the palm trees and all), which triggers an old memory of my younger self imagining I-2 being signed on the Alligator Alley, long before that road was made into an extension of I-75.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rte66man

Quote from: nolia_boi504 on April 28, 2014, 02:25:12 PM
Also noticed overhead I-69 N/S cosigned with US59 on the BW8 southbound to 69/59 interchange. I don't recall seeing that about a week ago. Glad to see the interstate shields finally showing up. Hopefully they will paint the blue shields on the roadway next.

Nexus 5

Coming in and out of the Bush airport I saw that 69 is signed on the brown airport signs.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 02, 2013, 05:52:05 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 10, 2012, 01:11:11 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on July 30, 2012, 10:36:12 AM
As regards relief options in Houston, in both the I-69 Segment Two Committee Report and Recommendations (pages 37-38/157; pages 31-32 of document) and the I-69 Segment Three Committee Report and Recommendations (page 36/157; page 30 of document), the Segment Two and Segment Three Committees ... did not tip their hand as far as recommending a specific relief route
... the Segment Two Committee.  Below is a map included in their report in which they incorporate part of the Grand Parkway as a "Committee Suggested I-69 Route" (page 21/157 of pdf; page 15 of document):
This article reports that five alternatives are being considered for Houston's I-69 relief route:
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, I-69 will enter the Houston area from the southwest on the current U.S. 59 (Southwest Freeway). It will also leave the area on U.S. 59 (Eastex Freeway).
In the middle, there are five alternatives that have been selected for further study:
- Following the current U.S. 59 corridor through Houston. (However, this highway is already heavily loaded with traffic; a post to misc.transport.road suggests a portion of U.S. 59 may be the busiest freeway in North America.)
- Following the western leg of the Grand Parkway.
- Following the eastern leg of the Grand Parkway.
- Following the western leg of Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway.
- Following the eastern leg of Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway.
A final routing will probably be selected in the next few years ...

This article reports that a Harris County judge believes that the bypass needs to go south and east in order to best serve the port:

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett addressed the importance of Interstate 69.
"It's pretty much agreed now that we need to have a bypass around the Houston area," he said. "It needs to go south and east instead of west, so it can support the port."

Anthony_JK

Since I-69 is already signed N and S of I-610, it's a no brainer to sign the remainder section of the Eastex/Southwest Freeway the same. Why not just compete the Grand Parkway as a full loop, dub it I-869/TX 99, and call it a decade??

Perfxion

Eastern half will be next to impossible to finish. Too much built up stuff in sections, A, B, and I-2. Western half will be done by late Summer, early fall of 2015.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

US 41

An honest question. Are the I-69W and C necessary. It's almost as short just to take I-35 and I-10 via San Antonio. I 69 C is also pretty close to the E. The E route is the only necessary routing of I-69 in Texas.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

wxfree

Quote from: US 41 on May 01, 2014, 11:42:27 AM
An honest question. Are the I-69W and C necessary. It's almost as short just to take I-35 and I-10 via San Antonio. I 69 C is also pretty close to the E. The E route is the only necessary routing of I-69 in Texas.

I wonder about that, too.  I'm not bothered by the suffixes (that may be because I've always lived near I-35s E and W, so it's normal to me), and I kinda like I-2 being where it is, especially if it connects to I-35.  My concern is over whether this project is being overbuilt.  I suspect it may be related to the political manner in which the plans were made.  If all of the funding were put into one road, which I agree should be the eastern alignment, might that result in the road getting completed sooner?  Maybe we're stretching too thin by trying to please everyone who wants an I-way.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.