News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

80 MPH speed limit coming to South Dakota

Started by M86, March 19, 2015, 12:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

Duke87

So does this mean that on April 1st all the 75 signs will change to 80, or will any changes be pending a study of the road in question?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

It's a statute change from 75 to 80, so all 75s will become 80 automatically.

SD Mapman

Quote from: corco on March 19, 2015, 11:00:34 AM
It's a statute change from 75 to 80, so all 75s will become 80 automatically.
Yeah, DOT will be changing all the 75 signs in the next couple weeks.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on March 19, 2015, 12:35:49 AM
So does this mean that on April 1st all the 75 signs will change to 80, or will any changes be pending a study of the road in question?
If they do all change on April 1, then the DOT should say that the new speed limit is 80 kph instead of mph and see if anyone realizes what day it is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SD Mapman

Quote from: vdeane on March 19, 2015, 10:56:18 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on March 19, 2015, 12:35:49 AM
If they do all change on April 1, then the DOT should say that the new speed limit is 80 kph instead of mph and see if anyone realizes what day it is.
That would be funny! :-D
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

1995hoo

Would someone then assert the speed limit is invalid because the proper abbreviation is "km/h" instead of "kph"? :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SD Mapman

Signs went up a day early. (sorry, no pic) It felt weird to go 80 and not be illegal.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 01, 2015, 12:18:19 AM
Signs went up a day early. (sorry, no pic) It felt weird to go 80 and not be illegal.

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

kkt

I'm a little surprised they let it be posted at 80 mph even with no center divider.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on April 01, 2015, 04:51:57 PM
I'm a little surprised they let it be posted at 80 mph even with no center divider.

SH-130 east of Austin is 80 without a center divider. Hell, the southern half, posted at 85, has no center divider.

Brandon

Da faq?

There's a perfectly adequate median separating the two carriageways.  That is your center divider.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kkt

I'm sure it meets standards, at least when it was built.  But loss of control and accidentally crossing a median is a fairly common accident, and a center divider is inexpensive.

corco

Quote from: kkt on April 01, 2015, 05:38:56 PM
I'm sure it meets standards, at least when it was built.  But loss of control and accidentally crossing a median is a fairly common accident, and a center divider is inexpensive.

That's a ditch, not a flat piece of ground. No car at speed is getting across that

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 01, 2015, 05:13:55 PM

SH-130 east of Austin is 80 without a center divider. Hell, the southern half, posted at 85, has no center divider.

Having driven TX-130 from I-35 down to I-10, I actually found it to be a little too curvy and there to be too many dips for an 85 mph limit. I think 80 would be more reasonable for the entire stretch. Part of it may be that I was driving a heavy-laden van.

Bear in mind that, on the open highway in the Midwest, if speed limits did not matter, I would generally drive about 85 to 90 mph.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dfwmapper

TxDOT posts 75mph limits on non-access-controlled 2 and 4 lane roads with nothing but a yellow line between you and the opposite direction of traffic. 80 on a freeway with a nice wide median is a lot safer than that.

SD Mapman

We don't do that. Like anywhere. Even in Sioux Falls. (OK, minus I-190)
And also, to put a center divider on Interstates throughout THE WHOLE STATE would get pretty expensive.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2015, 10:50:12 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 01, 2015, 05:13:55 PM

Having driven TX-130 from I-35 down to I-10, I actually found it to be a little too curvy and there to be too many dips for an 85 mph limit. I think 80 would be more reasonable for the entire stretch. Part of it may be that I was driving a heavy-laden van.

I just drove it last week in a new-ish Ford Fusion, and I had cruise on 90 the whole time (except where it dropped to 80, where I dropped the cruise to 85). Felt comfortable the whole time. My mom (riding shotgun) didn't say a word, so I can only assume she was perfectly happy with whatever speed I was doing.

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2015, 10:50:12 PM
Bear in mind that, on the open highway in the Midwest, if speed limits did not matter, I would generally drive about 85 to 90 mph.

As would I.

Molandfreak

Now let's get some 75 mph stretches on the expressways and call it good. :nod:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 02, 2015, 12:10:03 AM
We don't do that. Like anywhere. Even in Sioux Falls. (OK, minus I-190)
And also, to put a center divider on Interstates throughout THE WHOLE STATE would get pretty expensive.

Modern cable barriers ("wait-a-minute cables" in some roadgeek circles) aren't terribly expensive. Most of the interstates in Oklahoma have them throughout the entire state.

Not that I think the absence of barriers should have much of an effect on the speed limit; if you cross over you're going to have a bad time no matter what speed you're going. Hell, Oklahoma posts the Indian Nation Turnpike at 75, and I'm pretty sure that if I laid down crossways in the median both my head and my feet would be on pavement.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SD Mapman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2015, 08:57:42 PM
Not that I think the absence of barriers should have much of an effect on the speed limit; if you cross over you're going to have a bad time no matter what speed you're going. Hell, Oklahoma posts the Indian Nation Turnpike at 75, and I'm pretty sure that if I laid down crossways in the median both my head and my feet would be on pavement.
Yeah, second that.

galador

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2015, 08:57:42 PMHell, Oklahoma posts the Indian Nation Turnpike at 75, and I'm pretty sure that if I laid down crossways in the median both my head and my feet would be on pavement.

I know the median on the Muskogee Turnpike has to be barely 5-6 feet. Every time I drive it, I always marvel at how tiny that thing is.

Rushmeister

Quote from: galador on April 03, 2015, 09:10:16 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2015, 08:57:42 PMHell, Oklahoma posts the Indian Nation Turnpike at 75, and I'm pretty sure that if I laid down crossways in the median both my head and my feet would be on pavement.

I know the median on the Muskogee Turnpike has to be barely 5-6 feet. Every time I drive it, I always marvel at how tiny that thing is.

Using Earth Google's powerful and highly accurate ruler tool the median looks to be about 15 ft wide in the narrow places.  Must be some sort of Einsteinian relativity thing that causes us to misjudge distances while we're in motion!
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

galador

Quote from: Rushmeister on April 03, 2015, 01:05:36 PMUsing Earth Google's powerful and highly accurate ruler tool the median looks to be about 15 ft wide in the narrow places.  Must be some sort of Einsteinian relativity thing that causes us to misjudge distances while we're in motion!

I suppose so, but it seems so darn small.

kphoger

I personally think the 75 mph speed limit on Oklahoma's turnpikes with small grassy median humps is too high. I-35 and the turnpikes with barriers can be 85, but those grassy humps should only be 70, IMO.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.