News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

80 MPH speed limit coming to South Dakota

Started by M86, March 19, 2015, 12:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 09, 2015, 11:48:32 PM
South Dakota has put serious money into rebuilding I-90 and it may very well be the first state to have 80 on long lengths of untolled and freshly reconstructed pavement, though Texas does have 85 on the relatively fresh new-build but tolled SH 130.
And I-29... there's just a few sections that need reconstruction.  It's just funny how they tacked on a gas tax to that bill.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on April 10, 2015, 12:37:55 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 09, 2015, 11:48:32 PM
South Dakota has put serious money into rebuilding I-90 and it may very well be the first state to have 80 on long lengths of untolled and freshly reconstructed pavement, though Texas does have 85 on the relatively fresh new-build but tolled SH 130.
And I-29... there's just a few sections that need reconstruction.  It's just funny how they tacked on a gas tax to that bill.
No, the gas tax was the original idea, it was the speed limit increase that was tacked on at the last minute by the House Majority Leader.

SD is rebuilding I-90 pretty well, but from about Cactus Flat to just past Belvidere both lanes suck. Miserably. I think that is the worst non-NM stretch of road I've ever been on.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

andy3175

http://www.capjournal.com/news/sd-officials-mulling-reductions-on-new-mph-speed-limit/article_41729860-ea46-11e4-96a6-3f3ccac3dc59.html

QuoteA lengthy stretch of Interstate 90 in western South Dakota might see the speed limit rolled back from 80 mph to 75 under a proposal by the state Transportation Commission. The commission decided Thursday in Pierre to consider setting the speed limit at 75 mph on I-90 from the Wyoming border to the Rapid City area, a stretch of about 55 miles. There also could be a special 65 mph zone on I-90 for the 26-mile segment between Sturgis and Rapid City that would be in effect July 24 through Aug. 10 this year. Extremely high traffic is expected during the 75th annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis. Rapid City is a hub for many of the bikers attending the rally.

QuoteSeveral commission members said they're hearing from citizens about the change to 80 mph. One commissioner, Ed Seljeskog of Rapid City, favors rolling back to 75 mph west of Rapid City. He referred to "the recent calamity" in Wyoming on Interstate 80 that saw two days of major pile-ups – including some trucks afire. "I'm really uneasy," Seljeskog said. The 80 mph change was attached to the transportation funding legislation with an amendment brought by House Republican leader Brian Gosch of Rapid City.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SD Mapman

Quote from: andy3175 on April 30, 2015, 12:16:00 AM
http://www.capjournal.com/news/sd-officials-mulling-reductions-on-new-mph-speed-limit/article_41729860-ea46-11e4-96a6-3f3ccac3dc59.html

QuoteA lengthy stretch of Interstate 90 in western South Dakota might see the speed limit rolled back from 80 mph to 75 under a proposal by the state Transportation Commission. The commission decided Thursday in Pierre to consider setting the speed limit at 75 mph on I-90 from the Wyoming border to the Rapid City area, a stretch of about 55 miles. There also could be a special 65 mph zone on I-90 for the 26-mile segment between Sturgis and Rapid City that would be in effect July 24 through Aug. 10 this year. Extremely high traffic is expected during the 75th annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis. Rapid City is a hub for many of the bikers attending the rally.

QuoteSeveral commission members said they're hearing from citizens about the change to 80 mph. One commissioner, Ed Seljeskog of Rapid City, favors rolling back to 75 mph west of Rapid City. He referred to "the recent calamity" in Wyoming on Interstate 80 that saw two days of major pile-ups – including some trucks afire. "I'm really uneasy," Seljeskog said. The 80 mph change was attached to the transportation funding legislation with an amendment brought by House Republican leader Brian Gosch of Rapid City.
As a Spearfish resident, that makes a lot of sense. Spearfish to Rapid is one of the only semi-urban areas in the state.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.