News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 66 from Tulsa to St. Louis

Started by Alps, January 24, 2012, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 12, 2012, 07:06:25 AM
Watching this thread with interest since I would like to do something like this as well in the near future.

Missouri has most of their sections well marked...you just have to choose which alignment (St Louis has at least 3) ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Tulsa has at least 3 (Admiral, 11th, Skelly Drive.)

Alps

Quote from: US71 on April 12, 2012, 09:10:51 AM
Watching this thread with interest since I would like to do something like this as well in the near future.

Missouri has most of their sections well marked...you just have to choose which alignment (St Louis has at least 3) ;)
I plan on driving as many as possible, including all of the bridges (or at least the stubs thereof). Most important thing is to do your homework - there are some very informative websites out there such that you don't even need to buy a book.

NE2

And with the historic USGS topos online you can trace the old routes through cities independent of modern descriptions that may be adjusted for one-way and closed streets.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: Steve on April 12, 2012, 11:50:14 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 12, 2012, 09:10:51 AM

I plan on driving as many as possible, including all of the bridges (or at least the stubs thereof). Most important thing is to do your homework - there are some very informative websites out there such that you don't even need to buy a book.

The websites are often more accurate than the books because the websites are updated while the books may have old, incorrect information.

apeman33

Quote from: bugo on April 12, 2012, 08:11:44 PM
Tulsa has at least 3 (Admiral, 11th, Skelly Drive.)

Joplin/Webb City may have three or even four. I've tried to cover as much of each one as I can, but I don't know if I've gotten all of all of them.

txstateends

Don't know how it's signed now, but you'll come across the point near I-44 where US 59, US 60, US 66, and US 69 came together briefly.

Also, at the southern split of US 69 and ALT US 69 (Historic 66), there is a big yellow sign warning truckers not to take main US 69 but to take ALT 69 instead.  If you're curious, look at Google Street View's version of why instead of you taking a side trip up to the towns of Picher, OK and cross-border companion Treece, KS.  They are EPA superfund sites.  A local lead mine operated there for decades, but excavated too close to the surface.  There have been several sudden sinkholes since.  Also. the mine operations polluted the town's groundwater.  You will also see several piles of dirt off in the distance.  These are also remnants of the mining.  The dirt in the piles has traces of lead, and when the wind blows it takes the lead particles with the dust.  If that's not bad enough, Picher got hit by a tornado a few years ago, damaging what wasn't already messed up by the lead mine.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

national highway 1

Apparently Google Maps is signing US 66 in and around St Louis.
http://g.co/maps/6jdd4
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

US71

Quote from: txstateends on April 23, 2012, 12:36:19 PM
Don't know how it's signed now, but you'll come across the point near I-44 where US 59, US 60, US 66, and US 69 came together briefly.

This SB 69 where 59 splits off.

Scott5114

Just remembered–not on 66 itself but nearby, the Joplin wig-wag. Ancient RR signal from long ago. Dunno whether it still exists or not; the last time I saw it was en route to the Chicago meet around four years ago. It may have been eaten by the tornado.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2012, 06:07:15 PM
Just remembered–not on 66 itself but nearby, the Joplin wig-wag. Ancient RR signal from long ago. Dunno whether it still exists or not; the last time I saw it was en route to the Chicago meet around four years ago. It may have been eaten by the tornado.

The tornado was mostly south of 7th St (MO 66).

IF the signal is still there, it's on East 3rd St west of School St.

adt1982

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.