High-rise collapse near Miami Beach, Rescue Operations in Progress

Started by bing101, June 24, 2021, 09:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Max Rockatansky

I'm just hearing about this tonight after I got home.  I've read a couple reports that were saying the building was sinking 2mm or more annually since the 1990s. 

mgk920

Life in Paradise

I've seen videos from one of the units and the video of the outside of the collapse.  It was over half of the entire structure that went down.  The middle collapsed, then a few seconds later the end of the building went down.  There was practically no time for anyone to have moved from a collapsing area to an "undamaged area".  Also they were apparently in the middle of the 40 year structural review.  I just wonder if there were any notes yet....

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mgk920 on June 25, 2021, 01:37:07 AM
"Build a house on sand...."

Mike

I wonder if some underground stream had mined the soil under or if the soil was made of other materials prone to sink with the contact of water like clay who got liquified and couldn't windstand the weight of the building? Florida had some cases of sinkholes in previous years.

That incident reminds me of an episode of Thunderbirds.
https://youtu.be/mFaOlMdDXA0?t=1309

Max Rockatansky

Do barrier islands in Florida have much of the way of traditional mainland Florida limestone sink holes?  I always assumed that was the case and would probably explain the sinking that started popping up in the 1990s.

Henry

I don't know which is worse: this or an earthquake (and I've been through two in person myself: the Northridge one in '94 and the Nisqually one 20 years ago). After hearing about the building collapse this morning, I just realized that I caught a lucky break by not moving to FL because of the many bad things that happen there regularly (sinkholes, hurricanes and the like).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

I heard that 99 people are unaccounted for.  Hope all is well for everybody and thoughts go out to the victims and families.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2021, 11:33:37 AM
I heard that 99 people are unaccounted for.  Hope all is well for everybody and thoughts go out to the victims and families.

Not to be the bearer of even worse news but isn't it up to 159 unaccounted for now?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on June 25, 2021, 08:00:34 PM
I don't know which is worse: this or an earthquake (and I've been through two in person myself: the Northridge one in '94 and the Nisqually one 20 years ago). After hearing about the building collapse this morning, I just realized that I caught a lucky break by not moving to FL because of the many bad things that happen there regularly (sinkholes, hurricanes and the like).

I had a thought about this.  If this turns out to be a sink hole, what is that going to do to home insurance prices in Florida?  Finding sinkhole insurance almost became impossible about a half decade ago when a house near Tampa was swallowed up with the owner inside.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 26, 2021, 12:20:33 PM
Oh no that's at least 100 deaths right?

Unfortunately that is highly likely.  The chances of finding anyone else alive in the rubble is pretty slim at this point.

Stephane Dumas

bing101

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 26, 2021, 01:33:07 PM
From what I read on another article, an engineer warned of major structural damage a while ago. https://dnyuz.com/2021/06/26/engineer-warned-of-major-structural-damage-at-florida-condo-complex/

And this article from the Daily Mail about other possible buildings in the Miami aera who could be at risk.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9723841/Map-report-predicting-condo-collapse-reveals-Miami-Beach-spots-risk-collapse.html

Woah that map showed the collapsed building on an island off the mainland in the Miami area. Yes I knew building collapses have happen in Florida before but I was thinking previous alignments of the Everglades that was common in past cases though.

Lyon Wonder

Someone on the news mentioned a law that buildings have to be inspected at least once every 40 years and this high-rise's inspection was supposed to happen sometime this year since it was built in 1981 (though I'm not sure if that's a federal law or a Florida state law?).  IMO waiting 40 years between building inspections is too damn lax and should be at least once every 20 years maximum.

In any case I'm guessing the cause of the collapse was either liquelfaction of the ground supporting the building's foundation (either soft ground or underground water infiltration) or a sinkhole.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on June 26, 2021, 06:04:46 PM
Someone on the news mentioned a law that buildings have to be inspected at least once every 40 years and this high-rise's inspection was supposed to happen sometime this year since it was built in 1981 (though I'm not sure if that's a federal law or a Florida state law?).  IMO waiting 40 years between building inspections is too damn lax and should be at least once every 20 years maximum.

In any case I'm guessing the cause of the collapse was either liquelfaction of the ground supporting the building's foundation (either soft ground or underground water infiltration) or a sinkhole.

It definitely was inspected a bunch of times after the 1980s.  There was a report the day this happened that the building was sinking 2mm a year in the early 1990s.

Brandon

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on June 26, 2021, 06:04:46 PM

It's a full recertification required by Miami-Dade County every 40 years (not simply a mere annual type inspection).  These recertifications can take up to a year to complete.

https://www.miamigov.com/Services/Building-Permitting/Unsafe-Structures/Get-a-4050-Year-Recertification
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bing101

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article252398053.html
Ooof that's not a good look given that the condo happens to be in the neighborhood where the collapse took place.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bing101

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/28/erick-de-moura-condo-collapse-florida/?outputType=amp

Here is another story one of the residents was in a different location when he was notified he was a victim in the collapsed building initially until he saw the rescue crews on the scene.

formulanone

There were probably a few residents on vacation or not occupied during the summer months.

But yeah, 1:00am is probably nearest to the worst time of day for maximum capacity.

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.