News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 16, 2020, 01:12:12 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 15, 2020, 05:55:04 PM
Completed or opened? It can open to traffic upon substantial completion and there still be punch list items remaining in the contract before it's considered 100% complete.

The Construction Progress Report shows 9/20/2020 for completion. Interesting that the completion date of 8/27/2019 in the Construction Progress Report differs from the 11/15/2019 completion in the contract.
Got a response from NCDOT.

The bypass will open to traffic in the fall, full completion will be months after that.
https://twitter.com/NCDOT/status/1250783587496050688

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

The new ramp from Brevard Road to I-26 East near Asheville has opened.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-04-i-26-brevard-onramp.aspx

And closures are planned for I-40 West in SE Raleigh this weekend as part of the widening project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-05-i-40-west-closures-traffic-shift.aspx

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: LM117 on May 05, 2020, 05:07:13 PM
The new ramp from Brevard Road to I-26 East near Asheville has opened.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-04-i-26-brevard-onramp.aspx

I think this is more of a shifted-over-some ramp than a "new" ramp. Kind of surprising it warranted a press release. I don't think the new new ramp from I-26 west to Brevard Rd is open yet.

LM117

LM117

The US-301 project in Wilson just wrapped up.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/east-wilson-is-open-for-business-construction-complete-on-us-301-corridor,207877

QuoteAfter two years of cones and detours, construction on a stretch of U.S. 301 has finished.

"Over the years, we have experienced difficulty in attracting business development in east Wilson,"  said U.S. Rep. G.K. Butterfield. "Businesses want safe surface and pedestrian routes. Citizens want 21st century infrastructure, which will allow them to walk in safety.

"East Wilson is open for business."

Wilson was awarded $10 million in 2015 through a Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery grant. Officials leveraged the federal funds with $6 million from the N.C. Department of Transportation and nearly $2 million from the city. The project improved stormwater systems while adding raised medians, sidewalks and crosswalks from Black Creek Road to Lipscomb Road.

Construction began in April 2018 and was slated to finish in January, but inclement weather caused the N.C. Department of Transportation to grant a 180-day extension to projects all across the state.

State officials met with contractors on April 27 to perform a final inspection with plans to finish before May, but discovered a missing handicapped ramp that had been added after construction started. S.T. Wooten Corp. crews added the ramp and fixed other minor issues identified during the inspection.

"The city worked hard to secure funding through TIGER and NCDOT, and they have both been great partners in making this project a reality,"  said Bill Bass, Wilson public works director. "In some ways it doesn't seem that long ago we were working on design, so it is great to see how this project has come together and how great it looks."

Butterfield said he recalled when U.S. 301 routed through downtown and served as the main north-south route for decades. When Interstate 95 was built, traffic on U.S. 301 became more local than motorists driving through Wilson.

"Our goal from the beginning was to connect people and places through multiple modes of transportation,"  Bass said. "With the improvements, this section of 301 now fits the needs of the community and all users. We think this project will make a good first impression to people coming to Wilson."

Years of construction led to frustration for residents and businesses throughout the project.

"My constituents understand the incredible importance of this project,"  Butterfield said. "The inconvenience has been tolerated by east Wilson residents. As one said to me, "˜This is the cost of progress.'"

City officials have enlisted input from residents throughout the corridor about the types of businesses needed in east Wilson. The city is working on a plan to attract development to the area now that the construction has finished, as well as a beautification grant program.

"We are excited to have this project complete,"  Bass said. "Once our lives get back to normal, we anticipate all users will enjoy the new construction."

LM117

Due to COVID-19's impact on their revenue (or what's left of it), NCDOT has suspended it's Piedmont passenger rail service until further notice. I know this ain't road-related, but I thought I'd give the NC posters a heads up.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-13-piedmont-service.aspx

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-15-i-40-sign-lane-closures-colfax.aspx

QuoteCOLFAX — One lane of Interstate 40 west of Greensboro is set to reopen this weekend and another is set to close next week as part of sign work for the Business 40 Improvements Project.

The left lane of westbound I-40 has been closed between Sandy Ridge Road (Exit 208) and the I-40/U.S. 421 split (Exit 206) since April 17. It is set to reopen Saturday, when median-side preparation for new overhead signs for Salem Parkway and the I-40/U.S. 421 split is expected to be complete.

On Monday, crews are scheduled to begin drilling and pouring foundations on the outside shoulder for the same overhead sign structure. This will require closing the outside lane of I-40 West in the same location Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. each day.

The work is weather dependent and subject to change. The closure will be removed if crews finish prior to Friday.

Drivers should slow down and be mindful of crews working along this stretch of the interstate near the Guilford-Forsyth county line.

sprjus4

https://twitter.com/NCDOT_Triad/status/1262836800155906050

The first segment (US-421 to US-158) of the I-74 Winston-Salem Beltway is expected to be open to traffic by August.

LM117

NCDOT is holding a virtual informational meeting on June 4 to discuss the ongoing "jug handle" bridge project in Rodanthe.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-21-rodanthe-bridge-project-meeting.aspx

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: LM117 on May 13, 2020, 11:56:21 AM
Due to COVID-19's impact on their revenue (or what's left of it), NCDOT has suspended it's Piedmont passenger rail service until further notice. I know this ain't road-related, but I thought I'd give the NC posters a heads up.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-13-piedmont-service.aspx
Hope the train comes back once this is over.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sparker

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 22, 2020, 05:53:40 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 13, 2020, 11:56:21 AM

Hope the train comes back once this is over.

If the economics of the service were there before to render it viable, then it'll come back.  It's the "social distancing" thing that is disrupting rail of all types -- and even bus -- service currently.  It'll probably start out on a "skeleton" service -- possibly not every day or only once a day if multiple trains run the route, with half the seating blocked off (they're doing that out here with the San Jose-S.F. Caltrain service).  But a local service that was strictly commuter-oriented, the San Jose-Tracy-Stockton ACE train, is suspended until further notice; the sequestration order cut down its ridership by about 70%, so they just decided not to spend funds running the trains until it could be reasonably assured they'd get much of their customers back.   Unless permanent work-from-home situations majorly cut into that ridership, it'll be back -- those trains are usually packed daily.   But since the situation in NC is a train that serves not only commuters but interregional traffic other than simply work-and-back, there's no particular reason not for it to return once the worst is over.   

LM117

Some progress on the I-40 widening project southeast of Raleigh. The new East Garner Road bridge is open.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-05-27-east-garner-rd-reopens.aspx

LM117

LM117

NCDOT has selected the "improve existing" alternative for improvements to Corridor K in Graham County.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-06-03-corridor-k-preferred-alternative.aspx

wdcrft63

NCDOT has a brief press release on a decision concerning Corridor K in the Stecoah-Robbinsville-Andrews area. For those of us not following this long-running controversy closely, can someone provide a concise summary??

wdcrft63

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 03, 2020, 07:04:51 PM
NCDOT has a brief press release on a decision concerning Corridor K in the Stecoah-Robbinsville-Andrews area. For those of us not following this long-running controversy closely, can someone provide a concise summary??
And here is the link: https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-06-03-corridor-k-preferred-alternative.aspx

cowboy_wilhelm

Corridor K has been proposed for 50+ years. There isn't a four-lane highway into the western-most corner of NC (on the NC side). A new route would have to be used since US 74 can't be widened through the Nantahala Gorge. To do so would cost a fortune, destroy a bunch of nature, and not serve that much traffic. I'm pretty sure the SELC has filed lawsuit(s) in the past, and will likely do so again. It is also argued that the area is disadvantaged due to the lack of safe and fast highway connections, so industry and others look elsewhere.

This is only for one section (C), using existing alignment and isn't a full four-laning and will cost in excess of $133 million. To finish the remainder of the project would be another half billion dollars.

Kind of amazed they're still talking about 2022 construction with everything else being delayed by falling revenue.

February 2019 Public Meeting Maps
(Preliminary?) Design Study Report - November 2018

LM117

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-06-04-i-440-west-shift-lake-boone-wade.aspx

QuoteN.C. Department of Transportation contractors have scheduled a series of closures tonight on Interstate 440 at Lake Boone Trail as part of the I-440 Improvements project. These closures are similar to the closures that took place Monday night on the eastbound side from Wade Avenue to Lake Boone Trail.

At 9 p.m., I-440 West will close at Lake Boone Trail so crews can place a barrier wall and pavement markings to allow traffic to shift towards the median between Lake Boone Trail (Exit 5) and Wade Avenue (Exit 4). This pattern is scheduled to be in place for approximately two years.

A detour will direct drivers to take Exit 5 and follow Lake Boone Trail to Blue Ridge Road to Wade Avenue to access I-440 West.

The ramp from Lake Boone Trail to I-440 West will also be closed at the same time.

Work is scheduled to be completed by 5 a.m. tomorrow, weather permitting. A rain date is planned for the following night.

​Drivers should pay attention and allow for extra time to navigate through the work zone.

LM117

wdcrft63

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on June 03, 2020, 08:17:47 PM

Corridor K has been proposed for 50+ years. There isn't a four-lane highway into the western-most corner of NC (on the NC side). A new route would have to be used since US 74 can't be widened through the Nantahala Gorge. To do so would cost a fortune, destroy a bunch of nature, and not serve that much traffic. I'm pretty sure the SELC has filed lawsuit(s) in the past, and will likely do so again. It is also argued that the area is disadvantaged due to the lack of safe and fast highway connections, so industry and others look elsewhere.

This is only for one section (C), using existing alignment and isn't a full four-laning and will cost in excess of $133 million. To finish the remainder of the project would be another half billion dollars.

Kind of amazed they're still talking about 2022 construction with everything else being delayed by falling revenue.

February 2019 Public Meeting Maps
(Preliminary?) Design Study Report - November 2018
I'm not sure what Section C is, so correct me if this is wrong: the plan is to 3-lane NC 143 between Stecoah and Robbinsville, on its present alignment with whatever curves and grades it has. This sounds like a final decision that there is not going to be a 4-lane Corridor K (still less an interstate, which they keep proposing over in Fictional).

fillup420

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 05, 2020, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on June 03, 2020, 08:17:47 PM

I'm not sure what Section C is, so correct me if this is wrong: the plan is to 3-lane NC 143 between Stecoah and Robbinsville, on its present alignment with whatever curves and grades it has. This sounds like a final decision that there is not going to be a 4-lane Corridor K (still less an interstate, which they keep proposing over in Fictional).
I am very familiar with the area in question. there is no way an interstate facility could be built out there. the mountains are too gnarly, and the actual construction would take at least 15 years, based on past NCDOT projects. just look at the 4-laning of US 321 between Lenoir and Blowing Rock. that took over 10 years to complete. I cant imagine trying to build an interstate-grade road through such terrain, and have it be worth the insane costs.

LM117

LM117

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.