News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 13, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
Interestingly the construction plans for the US 301 toll road show the first two interchanges as having toll plazas, even though the newest Google imagery as well as DelDOT's aerial videos show what appear to be the foundations for the E-ZPass gantries being built.
Probably miscommunication. Everything on the 301 is paperless & peopleless. They will send you a bill of the toll. If you dont have Ezpass.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Roadsguy

Quote from: Tonytone on October 13, 2018, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on October 13, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
Interestingly the construction plans for the US 301 toll road show the first two interchanges as having toll plazas, even though the newest Google imagery as well as DelDOT's aerial videos show what appear to be the foundations for the E-ZPass gantries being built.
Probably miscommunication. Everything on the 301 is paperless & peopleless. They will send you a bill of the toll. If you dont have Ezpass.

In that case, more likely a holdover from the earlier plans. I still have the old version of the plans, which features a standard toll plaza with express E-ZPass lanes coming in from Maryland, obviously from before they realized AET would work here.

Interestingly, while the second and third interchanges have single-lane ramps under the toll gantries, the first has a two-lane southbound exit and northbound entrance ramp with the gantries. They even cross a creek on a bridge for the off-ramp and a culvert for the on-ramp. That's likely a holdover as well, since a two-lane on-ramp that narrows right before the merge onto the expressway seems a bit weird, especially since there isn't a double-left or double-right turn lane onto the ramp.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 13, 2018, 04:37:07 PMInterestingly the construction plans for the US 301 toll road show the first two interchanges as having toll plazas, even though the newest Google imagery as well as DelDOT's aerial videos show what appear to be the foundations for the E-ZPass gantries being built.

By "construction plans," do you mean the rollplots here?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Tonytone

I wonder when the spur route to the summit bridge will be built. How will that affect the speed of traffic when you approach the first light. Since i know people will be speeding since it will be built to "freeway standards" . Im sure this will cause another housing boom in that part of middletown as well

iPhone

Roadsguy

Did they ever confirm that the spur would be signed as "US 301 Spur"? If so, will that designation end right before the bridge or will it continue north to US 40 or I-95?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 13, 2018, 11:04:44 PM
Did they ever confirm that the spur would be signed as "US 301 Spur"? If so, will that designation end right before the bridge or will it continue north to US 40 or I-95?

They will probably build the spur the same time they build the 896/40 interchange & the 896/I-95 Interchange. But it confuses me on why they would redo all the minor intersections on 896. If they are just gonna make it a partial freeway? 896 was planned to be a freeway in the beginning but The good Ol'Neighborhood likes traffic backups. Smh

iPhone

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 13, 2018, 11:04:44 PM
They should pull a Wilmington and call it DE 301. But I would honestly be surprised that AASHTO would allow a "Spur" signed US highway. I can think of many plausible state numbers... 340 (from 301 to 40) or 395, 302 or 303, 19 (since it's west of 15).

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on October 13, 2018, 11:18:11 PM
They will probably build the spur the same time they build the 896/40 interchange & the 896/I-95 Interchange.

The SR 896 / US 40 interchange is slated for summer 2022 and the SR 896 / I-95 interchange is slated for spring 2023, there is no date set for the spur road.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 14, 2018, 03:33:00 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 13, 2018, 11:18:11 PM
They will probably build the spur the same time they build the 896/40 interchange & the 896/I-95 Interchange.

The SR 896 / US 40 interchange is slated for summer 2022 and the SR 896 / I-95 interchange is slated for spring 2023, there is no date set for the spur road.
So the spur road would likely be completed now or then.

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 13, 2018, 10:47:42 PM
I wonder when the spur route to the summit bridge will be built. How will that affect the speed of traffic when you approach the first light. Since i know people will be speeding since it will be built to "freeway standards" . Im sure this will cause another housing boom in that part of middletown as well

iPhone
When you say first light, which one do you mean?  The one at DE-896 and DE-71/Brennan Boulevard?

When I was commuting down DE-896 from Newark to Dover, I definitely recall being passed by drivers going at least 70 on the road.  Personally I wouldn't expect it to be too much different, but if there are enough crashes at the light there, then it would be put up for review for a red light camera.

From the plans I remember seeing, isn't the spur route just two lanes?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 15, 2018, 09:47:37 PM

iPhone
When you say first light, which one do you mean?  The one at DE-896 and DE-71/Brennan Boulevard?

When I was commuting down DE-896 from Newark to Dover, I definitely recall being passed by drivers going at least 70 on the road.  Personally I wouldn't expect it to be too much different, but if there are enough crashes at the light there, then it would be put up for review for a red light camera.

Yes, the road will be one lane each way with a grass median about as wide as the one on mainline 301.

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 15, 2018, 09:47:37 PM

iPhone

Yes. Thats the light & the 2nd light is the reconstructed HowellSchool Road. & then after that is Porter road. You think a red light camera would help? I think it might cause even more crashes.

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 15, 2018, 10:36:48 PM
Yes. Thats the light & the 2nd light is the reconstructed HowellSchool Road. & then after that is Porter road. You think a red light camera would help? I think it might cause even more crashes.

iPhone
It may cause a few more rear end crashes in the short term, but in the long term it would reduce angle crashes which are generally much nastier than rear endings.  However, red light cameras are beyond the scope of my office (they're administered by another division of DelDOT), so I can't really comment much further.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 15, 2018, 11:58:26 PM

iPhone
It may cause a few more rear end crashes in the short term, but in the long term it would reduce angle crashes which are generally much nastier than rear endings.  However, red light cameras are beyond the scope of my office (they're administered by another division of DelDOT), so I can't really comment much further.
So would a speed clock be put on the bridge you think? I know undercover State Troopers sit on the bridge sometimes to catch speeders. But I doubt they will do that when traffic on the bridge is doubled because of the spur road. I wonder why they would plan interchanges at all major intersections but try to have it as safe as a neighborhood road.

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2018, 12:02:00 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on October 15, 2018, 11:58:26 PM

iPhone
So would a speed clock be put on the bridge you think? I know undercover State Troopers sit on the bridge sometimes to catch speeders. But I doubt they will do that when traffic on the bridge is doubled because of the spur road. I wonder why they would plan interchanges at all major intersections but try to have it as safe as a neighborhood road.
iPhone
Would traffic on the bridge double with the spur road?  Middletown-Wilmington traffic would be more likely to just take DE-1 to US-301, right (I get that US-301 will have a hefty toll, but Middletown seems pretty wealthy)?  From my experience of driving on US-301 in Maryland (on the Eastern Shore side), I doubt there's enough traffic there to double the traffic on DE-896, especially if it's long-distance traffic between either Washington-Philadelphia or Richmond-Philadelphia.

Considering the speed limit on 896 is 55 through there, I don't think it would be classified as "safe as a neighborhood road" (considering that the worst places for pedestrian crashes in New Castle County are Kirkwood Highway, US-13/40, and US-40 on its own - all roads with a 45+ MPH speed limit).  The goal of improving safety there really has to do with "traffic related crashes" (I won't try listing all the cases here, but simply put DelDOT's doing a similar project in Georgetown on US-113 by converting parts to grade separation).
Instagram | Clinched Map

froggie

If traffic "doubles on the bridge", it's not going to be because of the spur road.  It'll be because of development in and around Middletown.  And most of that development would still be using existing 301 to get to the bridge.  It'd be backtracking for most of Middletown to access the spur via the future DE 299 interchange.

Tonytone

Quote from: froggie on October 16, 2018, 08:14:45 AM
If traffic "doubles on the bridge", it's not going to be because of the spur road.  It'll be because of development in and around Middletown.  And most of that development would still be using existing 301 to get to the bridge.  It'd be backtracking for most of Middletown to access the spur via the future DE 299 interchange.
Well what if De-1 is backed up. Because traffic is already heavy on De-1 with out without 301 merging on to it. & people take the spur road to avoid this traffic jam. Or do you think delaware will widen the 1 to 4 lanes by this time?

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2018, 12:43:26 PM
Well what if De-1 is backed up. Because traffic is already heavy on De-1 with out without 301 merging on to it. & people take the spur road to avoid this traffic jam.
iPhone
Considering the scenes I'd see on DE-896 South when I was going Dover to Newark during rush hour, I don't think people would really consider DE-896 to be an acceptable alternative.  I mean it is an alternative, but there are still tons of lights between I-95 and the Summit Bridge they'd have to deal with (though maybe the grade separation at US-40 would be helpful).
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 16, 2018, 01:40:18 PM
Well what if De-1 is backed up. Because traffic is already heavy on De-1 with out without 301 merging on to it. & people take the spur road to avoid this traffic jam.
iPhone
Considering the scenes I'd see on DE-896 South when I was going Dover to Newark during rush hour, I don't think people would really consider DE-896 to be an acceptable alternative.  I mean it is an alternative, but there are still tons of lights between I-95 and the Summit Bridge they'd have to deal with (though maybe the grade separation at US-40 would be helpful).
That is true. That grade Seperation @40 might make all the difference. But I just wonder if the speed limit will remain the same or a change will be made. & with all the housing developments being built. I can asure we can expect big traffic

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2018, 01:55:41 PM
iPhone
That is true. That grade Seperation @40 might make all the difference. But I just wonder if the speed limit will remain the same or a change will be made. & with all the housing developments being built. I can asure we can expect big traffic
Well the statutory maximum speed limit on a divided highway is 55, so it can only go down, except on the section north of US-40 where it's 50, I believe.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 16, 2018, 02:37:58 PM
iPhone
Well the statutory maximum speed limit on a divided highway is 55, so it can only go down, except on the section north of US-40 where it's 50, I believe.
I assume people will treat it the same as the folks back then when they made 141 & 13 a interchange. I know those people in the neighborhoods greatly opposed. But between the Airport & the ever growing Route 13. It had to be done.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

iPhone

Except for section B, where it states that Delaware can basically make up whatever speed they want on any road they want, which specifically states it can go up or down.  That is how 65 mph is permitted on 95 and 495, and 60 mph on the Puncheon Run Connector, even though the statute states 55 mph on divided roadways.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 16, 2018, 11:10:55 PM
iPhone

Except for section B, where it states that Delaware can basically make up whatever speed they want on any road they want, which specifically states it can go up or down.  That is how 65 mph is permitted on 95 and 495, and 60 mph on the Puncheon Run Connector, even though the statute states 55 mph on divided roadways.

Is the Puncheon Run Connector not considered a freeway?

This discussion should probably be moved to the project's dedicated thread.

Tonytone

iPhone

Do you think 495 speed limit would ever be raised again? 70? 75?

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2018, 11:17:02 PM
iPhone

Do you think 495 speed limit would ever be raised again? 70? 75?

iPhone
If Route 1, with its long stretches of flat rural area between Dover and Middletown, is going to remain 65, then 495, being in a fairly urban area, probably would remain 65.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.