News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: roadfro on August 20, 2017, 02:32:32 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 20, 2017, 11:30:28 AM
With Nevada making significant progress on future Interstate 11, how much of the freeway on the Arizona side of the bridge is built to interstate standards?

How much could be signed as I-11?

From my understanding of present conditions, nothing really beyond the Arizona portion of the Hoover Dam bypass project could be signed as I-11, save for the presumed overlap with I-40.

Arizona has been working on widening portions of US 93 for a while, but this has been to divided highway status and not full freeway/Interstate standards–that effort began well before the notion of I-11 was conceived.

Nevada, on the other hand, has considerably less mileage along the I-11 corridor to link Vegas and Phoenix. The only real length of Interstate construction Nevada needed for I-11 to reach the Las Vegas valley after I-11 was made official was the Hoover Dam Byapss (under construction if not complete at that time) and the Boulder City Bypass project. The Boulder City Bypass was also conceived about a decade before I-11 was ever a thing–if I recall correctly, the project cleared the final environmental reviews and was well into initial design a couple years before I-11 was signed into law–so it ended up as the first new construction under I-11.

The only full-freeway segment of AZ's portion of the I-11 corridor is the short section north of central Kingman containing the AZ 68 interchange; all of about a mile and a half of length (hardly worth signage).  I would anticipate that the US 93 corridor between I-40 and the Colorado River bridge would be the first to be upgraded, including the Kingman bypass connector to I-40 -- the existing facility could be upgraded with a moderate amount of effort and expense, and it would not only serve traffic to & from greater Phoenix but also provide a somewhat more efficient path from I-40 to the Vegas area.  Since the opening of the bridge a few years back -- and the corresponding return of truck traffic to the US 93 corridor -- I would guess that the 4-lane divided facility may be due for repaving or other maintenance; doing what is necessary to upgrade that segment instead of a basic repaving might be the most economically feasible way to go in the long haul. 

Plutonic Panda

Are there any updates on the Kingman Bypass?

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 20, 2017, 07:39:37 PM

Any freeway upgrade around Kingman is still in the planning stages.

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-40-us-93-system-traffic-interchange-design-concept-and-environmental-studies

As of now, any upgrades on current US 93 are just to widen it to a 4 lane divided highway. There is one current grade separated interchange at AZ 71, but that bridge (US 93 goes over AZ 71) would have to be widened or replaced to be used for a freeway. Here's a link to ADOT's current plans for the US 93 corridor:

https://azdot.gov/projects/northwest-district-projects/us-93-corridor-projects

kdk

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 21, 2017, 09:28:17 PM

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-40-us-93-system-traffic-interchange-design-concept-and-environmental-studies

As of now, any upgrades on current US 93 are just to widen it to a 4 lane divided highway. There is one current grade separated interchange at AZ 71, but that bridge (US 93 goes over AZ 71) would have to be widened or replaced to be used for a freeway. Here's a link to ADOT's current plans for the US 93 corridor:

I swear I read within the past year that they have essentially eliminated 3 out of the 5 potential routes for the bypass and agreed to study only the two options to the west (the closer ones).  But I can't find that article right now, and see they are still showing all 5.

Once the Boulder City bypass opens next year, it will shift all of the choke points down to Beale St in Kingman.  It already gets that way at busier times, but I think it will get to being a priority, kind of like how Nevada stepped up for Boulder City after the bridge opened.

sparker

Quote from: kdk on August 22, 2017, 03:39:56 PM

I swear I read within the past year that they have essentially eliminated 3 out of the 5 potential routes for the bypass and agreed to study only the two options to the west (the closer ones).  But I can't find that article right now, and see they are still showing all 5.

Once the Boulder City bypass opens next year, it will shift all of the choke points down to Beale St in Kingman.  It already gets that way at busier times, but I think it will get to being a priority, kind of like how Nevada stepped up for Boulder City after the bridge opened.

IIRC, AZDOT's original preference was for Alternative "D", the alignment east of Beale and intersecting I-40 about a half mile east of the present interchange.  Apparently that would have involved truncating Beale about three-quarters of a mile north of the interchange, isolating several businesses largely dependent upon a mix of local and through traffic; a virtual "dead end" wouldn't do them a lot of good.  So local blowback shifted the selections west, which would position Beale as an effective business route
(and potentially signed as such), preserving full local access and, with logo signs on both I-40 and the nascent I-11, a good chance of retaining much of the through-traffic business. 

Plutonic Panda

So what alternative is most likely? It also looks like they plan to widen I-40 to 3 lanes in each direction in Kingman which I will say needs it.

sparker

If this were a bet, my bucks would be on alternative "A" (orange line); gives enough of the town a wide berth, but has the trajectory approaching I-40 that would be optimal for a directional or wide trumpet interchange.  2nd in terms of likelihood would be "G" (dark green) -- and only if something in the path of "A" were to prove problematic. 

Plutonic Panda

Alternative H is very interesting to me. Why would they consider that? Seems way more expensive with a much greater impact to the environment.

sparker

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 23, 2017, 12:05:32 AM
Alternative H is very interesting to me. Why would they consider that? Seems way more expensive with a much greater impact to the environment.

Probably a "sop" to those who don't want a new freeway corridor anywhere near town (it hits I-40 well west of the business-loop divergence).  Given that it hugs the north and west boundaries of a protected area, I'd give it the chance of a snowball in hell re serious consideration.

Sub-Urbanite

An alternatives analysis requires alternatives. Better to spend $500 putting together a report that says "Alternative H would threaten endangered species, disrupt tribal resources and only divert 60% of traffic, and should not be considered," than to leave it out, get sued by someone because you didn't consider it and spend $200,000 on lawyers and court costs to defend the AA.

roadfro

Quote from: sparker on August 22, 2017, 09:31:27 PM

IIRC, AZDOT's original preference was for Alternative "D", the alignment east of Beale and intersecting I-40 about a half mile east of the present interchange.  Apparently that would have involved truncating Beale about three-quarters of a mile north of the interchange, isolating several businesses largely dependent upon a mix of local and through traffic; a virtual "dead end" wouldn't do them a lot of good.  So local blowback shifted the selections west, which would position Beale as an effective business route
(and potentially signed as such), preserving full local access and, with logo signs on both I-40 and the nascent I-11, a good chance of retaining much of the through-traffic business.

Looking at the presentation from 2013, the preferred alternative "D3" shown appears to have included a (half?) diamond interchange between US 93 and the west end of Beale St–if true, the access would have been preserved.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sparker

Quote from: roadfro on August 23, 2017, 10:15:46 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 22, 2017, 09:31:27 PM

Looking at the presentation from 2013, the preferred alternative "D3" shown appears to have included a (half?) diamond interchange between US 93 and the west end of Beale St–if true, the access would have been preserved.

Can you post a detailed map of the alternatives that shows this sort of detail?  Everything I've seen to date just shows broad-stroke lines -- and having spent a little more time on Beale Street in that area (which functions as "auto repair row") that I would have liked, I couldn't see how to connect the street physically with the "D" optional corridor absent uprooting many of the businesses there -- which may account at least in part for the eventual choice of a more westerly corridor.  I figured if that slightly eastern option were selected, those businesses would have to depend upon primarily I-40 traffic (most of these places have signage that can be seen from I-40); US 93 (I-11) traffic would have had to go west on I-40 for a few hundred yards before getting off on Beale.  IIRC, there was a Big-O store there, along with a Pep Boys and a Kragen's (well before they were sold to O'Reilly); all had sizeable tire and suspension shops attached (I had to fix a tire that was going there flat several years back, and opted for the Kragen store).  But still, I'd love to see the map showing a set of ramps from Beale to Corridor D -- might tell me how much of that business block would have been taken with that corridor option.   

roadfro

Quote from: sparker on August 23, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
Quote from: roadfro on August 23, 2017, 10:15:46 AM

Can you post a detailed map of the alternatives that shows this sort of detail?  Everything I've seen to date just shows broad-stroke lines -- and having spent a little more time on Beale Street in that area (which functions as "auto repair row") that I would have liked, I couldn't see how to connect the street physically with the "D" optional corridor absent uprooting many of the businesses there -- which may account at least in part for the eventual choice of a more westerly corridor.  I figured if that slightly eastern option were selected, those businesses would have to depend upon primarily I-40 traffic (most of these places have signage that can be seen from I-40); US 93 (I-11) traffic would have had to go west on I-40 for a few hundred yards before getting off on Beale.  IIRC, there was a Big-O store there, along with a Pep Boys and a Kragen's (well before they were sold to O'Reilly); all had sizeable tire and suspension shops attached (I had to fix a tire that was going there flat several years back, and opted for the Kragen store).  But still, I'd love to see the map showing a set of ramps from Beale to Corridor D -- might tell me how much of that business block would have been taken with that corridor option.

https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-40-us-93-system-traffic-interchange-design-concept-and-environmental-studies/documents

Not super detailed, but gives some idea... That's all I've looked at.

The 9/26/2013 public meeting presentation will open a PDF file that goes through the alternatives selection process and mentions Alt D3 as preferred on slide 14. The image there isn't high resolution, so I couldn't tell specifically about that western connection (but it looked like Beale St tying into Fort Beale Road, and a half diamond interchange constructed between future I-11 and Beale St with ramps to/from the north/west).

The 3/29/2012 alignment alternatives shows better resolution on some of the alignment alternatives, but it appears these were refined/changed after the meeting. In this document, Alt D3 looks different than described above–it just has directional ramps to/from the north/west.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kkt

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on August 23, 2017, 01:17:12 AM

An alternatives analysis requires alternatives. Better to spend $500 putting together a report that says "Alternative H would threaten endangered species, disrupt tribal resources and only divert 60% of traffic, and should not be considered," than to leave it out, get sued by someone because you didn't consider it and spend $200,000 on lawyers and court costs to defend the AA.

Yes.  Your homework isn't done until you've completed all the parts of the assignment.

Plutonic Panda

sparker

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 15, 2017, 10:51:42 PM
Preferred alternative and record of decision comes in 2019.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/AZDOT/bulletins/1cc9b17

It'll be interesting to see if a "partial-build" option taking I-11 directly toward Phoenix metro (basically down US 60/Grand Ave.) to at least Loop 303 is one of the options presented -- something like that would essentially curtail anything between Phoenix and Tucson unless 303 itself is extended south to curl around SE toward Casa Grande.  Somehow, I think corridor duplication will be one of the first things to be eliminated.

kdk

Quote from: sparker on December 16, 2017, 08:54:20 PM

It'll be interesting to see if a "partial-build" option taking I-11 directly toward Phoenix metro (basically down US 60/Grand Ave.) to at least Loop 303 is one of the options presented -- something like that would essentially curtail anything between Phoenix and Tucson unless 303 itself is extended south to curl around SE toward Casa Grande.  Somehow, I think corridor duplication will be one of the first things to be eliminated.

I doubt it.  As has been typical of the new freeways in the Phoenix area, the large developers will land speculate early, then will make sure the freeway goes across their land, even if they have to "donate" the right of way to ADOT.  There's been a land grab west of Buckeye, even Bill Gates got in on this one with his new planned "smart city".

Some good info is in this article- http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/bill-gates-adot-study-positive-signs-for-interstate-11-9976163

Although to your point I will likely always use the 303 up to the 60 just because it does make the trip a little shorter than for me to head west on I-10 that far.  Also the 303 was always planned to eventually swing southeast to reach down to the city of Maricopa with a spur connecting to I-8, until the I-11 plans started to basically take over that route.

sparker

Quote from: kdk on January 03, 2018, 06:00:10 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 16, 2017, 08:54:20 PM

I doubt it.  As has been typical of the new freeways in the Phoenix area, the large developers will land speculate early, then will make sure the freeway goes across their land, even if they have to "donate" the right of way to ADOT.  There's been a land grab west of Buckeye, even Bill Gates got in on this one with his new planned "smart city".

Some good info is in this article- http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/bill-gates-adot-study-positive-signs-for-interstate-11-9976163

Although to your point I will likely always use the 303 up to the 60 just because it does make the trip a little shorter than for me to head west on I-10 that far.  Also the 303 was always planned to eventually swing southeast to reach down to the city of Maricopa with a spur connecting to I-8, until the I-11 plans started to basically take over that route.

If developers have been grabbing land along the Hassayampa alignment -- and ADOT or their political handlers are "in the pocket", so to speak, of these developers, then that routing might just be a backhanded "done deal".   The corridor portion south of I-10 down to Casa Grande is clearly planned for two reasons:  providing an outer bypass of metro Phoenix for traffic now using I-10 (and also providing business opportunities for entities such as truck plazas, restaurants, and even possibly casinos along the corridor), and to encourage growth of the Maricopa area even beyond what is presently occurring by providing a new arterial freeway through the middle of the area.  North of I-10 the development would likely be garden-variety suburban amenities carved out of the desert (essentially how much of metro Phoenix came to be), possibly including Gates' "planned city".  Businesses dedicated to the I-11 traveler would likely commence in the Wickenburg area, leaving the area between there and I-10 to the developers; unlike the "Phoenix bypass" role of I-11 south of I-10 (to be shared by traffic from both routes), the purpose of I-11 north of I-10 will be twofold -- long distance to Vegas, and access to new communities springing up along the facility.  And if developers have their way, the freeway configuration will reflect more of the latter than the former (multiple interchanges, frontage roads, and a shopping center or two).     

nexus73

The easiest solution and fastest to implement is to make I-11 a relatively short freeway between Kingman AZ and Las Vegas NV.  Let the Phoenix bypass sort itself out along with US 97 improvements in Oregon.  So long as those who drive between Elvis Impersonator Central and The Valley Of The Sun have a freeway between them to travel on, even if it does use I-40 and I-17 for routing, the job got done for connecting these two cities in my eyes.

Or is there a Really Good Reason for doing a new routing of long length that will take decades and billions of dinero to implement?  Save some moolah (plus a whole lot of time) and use it for some upgrades on US 95 to make the Reno-Vegas route a better highway and pour the remainder into the US 97 Oregon section.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

sparker

Quote from: nexus73 on January 03, 2018, 10:09:44 PM
The easiest solution and fastest to implement is to make I-11 a relatively short freeway between Kingman AZ and Las Vegas NV.  Let the Phoenix bypass sort itself out along with US 97 improvements in Oregon.  So long as those who drive between Elvis Impersonator Central and The Valley Of The Sun have a freeway between them to travel on, even if it does use I-40 and I-17 for routing, the job got done for connecting these two cities in my eyes.

Or is there a Really Good Reason for doing a new routing of long length that will take decades and billions of dinero to implement?  Save some moolah (plus a whole lot of time) and use it for some upgrades on US 95 to make the Reno-Vegas route a better highway and pour the remainder into the US 97 Oregon section.

Rick

The only problem with that solution is that the southern PHX-LV segment is as close to a done deal as is possible outside NC and TX.  Both states want it, ADOT is reconstructing US 93 to Interstate geometry as the first step in the conversion process (baby steps.....), AZ developers want it, LV interests want it, and apparently a basic Phoenix-area corridor will be selected by 2020 (they say 2019, but if history is any indication, the decision will take an extra year or so).  It is likely that the segment from Kingman to LV will be done in advance of the other sections; for the time being it'll serve as a de facto SIU to and from easterly I-40.  But the chances of any pressure to terminate the corridor at Kingman are slim and none (and slim's left the building!).  IMO, I-11 will get down to I-10 one way or another by 2030-32 -- probably at about the same time northern NV interests will be bickering over the alignment of the northern extension (see the I-11/points north thread in SW to see the back-and-forth in this forum alone!).   

kkt

What does SIU stand for?

triplemultiplex

"Section of Independent Utility"
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Anthony_JK

Quote from: sparker on January 03, 2018, 09:29:54 PM

[...]

If developers have been grabbing land along the Hassayampa alignment -- and ADOT or their political handlers are "in the pocket", so to speak, of these developers, then that routing might just be a backhanded "done deal".   The corridor portion south of I-10 down to Casa Grande is clearly planned for two reasons:  providing an outer bypass of metro Phoenix for traffic now using I-10 (and also providing business opportunities for entities such as truck plazas, restaurants, and even possibly casinos along the corridor), and to encourage growth of the Maricopa area even beyond what is presently occurring by providing a new arterial freeway through the middle of the area.  North of I-10 the development would likely be garden-variety suburban amenities carved out of the desert (essentially how much of metro Phoenix came to be), possibly including Gates' "planned city".  Businesses dedicated to the I-11 traveler would likely commence in the Wickenburg area, leaving the area between there and I-10 to the developers; unlike the "Phoenix bypass" role of I-11 south of I-10 (to be shared by traffic from both routes), the purpose of I-11 north of I-10 will be twofold -- long distance to Vegas, and access to new communities springing up along the facility.  And if developers have their way, the freeway configuration will reflect more of the latter than the former (multiple interchanges, frontage roads, and a shopping center or two).     

Whatever happened to the option of simply upgrading AZ 85 to Interstate freeway standards and adding a freeway/freeway connection to I-8 at Gila Bend? Wouldn't that be cheaper than an I-11 extension along AZ 303 to Casa Grande?

J N Winkler

Just an observation:  I don't think I-40/I-17 would work even as a temporary I-11 routing between Phoenix and Kingman, because the length difference is almost 100 miles (169 miles from I-40/US 93 east of Kingman to just south of the Stack in Phoenix via US 93/US 60, versus 262 miles via I-40 and I-17).  This is about a third of the shortest Phoenix-Las Vegas distance.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

GreenLanternCorps

How much of US 93/Future I-11 between Kingman and the Colorado River is at Interstate standards?

Excluding the Kingman area, how much actually needs major work, and how much could be given an I-10 exemption for ranches and the like?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.