News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Least favorite type of soda?

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 02, 2017, 02:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your least favorite kind of soda?

Coke
1 (1.8%)
Coke zero
2 (3.5%)
Diet coke
5 (8.8%)
Pepsi
1 (1.8%)
Diet pepsi
6 (10.5%)
Mountain dew
5 (8.8%)
Sprite
1 (1.8%)
Orange soda
2 (3.5%)
Dr Pepper
10 (17.5%)
All of the above.
6 (10.5%)
None of the above.
18 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 57

KeithE4Phx

A few random observations:

The best description I ever heard for Dr. Pepper is "carbonated prune juice."   :biggrin:

Being from the Midwest, it's called "pop," not "soda."  Soda is something you use to settle your stomach down, as in Bicarbonate of Soda, aka Baking Soda. 

Pepsi is far better than Coke.  Coke is best used to take the rust off your hub caps and chrome bumpers.

All diet pop is evil.  Artificial sweeteners are the worst things you can put in your body.  Other than brussels sprouts, of course.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

DandyDan

I voted for None of the above, because grape pop wasn't an option. I don't like anything diet, either.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2021, 11:23:53 PM
I had a grandmother who called Coke "Co-Cola."

I remember people calling Pepsi "Peps."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

index

A lot of people give diet sodas flak for tasting horrible but I've never really noticed the difference. People say it's sweeter in a bad way or something? Maybe I can notice it a little bit but the difference is so minuscule to my taste buds that it's pretty much not even there. I think the most pronounced difference is diet Dr. Pepper vs regular, and I actually prefer the taste of diet for that.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: index on April 11, 2021, 10:06:41 AM
A lot of people give diet sodas flak for tasting horrible but I've never really noticed the difference. People say it's sweeter in a bad way or something? Maybe I can notice it a little bit but the difference is so minuscule to my taste buds that it's pretty much not even there. I think the most pronounced difference is diet Dr. Pepper vs regular, and I actually prefer the taste of diet for that.

Diet Soda is definitely an acquired taste. Has the obvious benefits of no calories, but still has artificial colors and flavors, and artificial sweeteners can actually cause you to crave sugar.

I found a different kind of Diet Soda-Zevia. It's flavored with stevia, which is 0-calorie but natural. Also no artificial colors.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dlsterner

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 11, 2021, 10:14:59 AM

I found a different kind of Diet Soda-Zevia. It's flavored with stevia, which is 0-calorie but natural. Also no artificial colors.

I have as well discovered Zevia Cola and it is now my go-to soda, supplanting Coke Zero. I like the fact that it is flavored with stevia rather than an artificial sweetener.  And it has a good taste.  In a restaurant setting where Zevia is unlikely to be available, I will either have a Coke Zero or an unsweetened iced tea.

To answer the original question - least favorite soda is probably all diet sodas because they have a "weird" taste to me.  TaB was the worst.  I was very disappointed in the taste of Diet Coke compared to regular Coke.  Coke Zero is the one diet soda that tastes OK to me.  It's what Diet Coke should have been.

And what was up with the goofy capitalization of "TaB"?  And, Coke > Pepsi  :poke:

US71

Coke is my "go to" if I'm not having iced tea. Pepsi seems too sweet to me, and I won't touch DP or any wannabe's.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Having been a Diet Coke consumer for years, I find the taste of Diet Pepsi to be vile.

In general I find regular colas to taste far to sweet for me, but I've developed a taste for Coke Zero, which to me tastes much like regular Coke.

I'm a fan of Diet Dr. Pepper.

In general, I'm a fan of carbonated flavored water. I like the fizz and I like the taste. I don't see how people can consume regular unflavored water at the rate they do. I only drink regular water if the only other available beverage is coffee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

I rarely, if ever, drink soda anymore, but my least favorite is by far root beer.  I just don't get the appeal.

Chris

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 12, 2021, 10:29:43 AM
I rarely, if ever, drink soda anymore, but my least favorite is by far root beer.  I just don't get the appeal.

Chris
The fizz, the smooth, the caramel-ish taste, the burn. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thomas77

Diet Coke. Or diet anything for that matter.
A road guy.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on April 12, 2021, 09:57:56 PM
It's insidious.  Just like the Federation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk
It's awesome.

Those actors weren't paid enough to put that much work into trying to make that root beer sillyness work. :D

doorknob60

I voted Dr Pepper, because I never choose to drink it over other options (eg. Coke, Pepsi, Mt Dew, Sprite, Root Beer). I've probably had a total of 3 Dr Peppers in my whole life. But from what I remember, actually it's kinda good, I just never really drink it, guess I prefer the others.

As for diets, I used to avoid them, but to cut down on sugar a lot of my soda is diet now. I think the best diet sodas are, probably in this order, Sprite/7-Up Zero (they taste almost the same to me, I go with whatever is available), Mello Yello Zero (only in Coke Freestyle), Surge Zero (only at Burger King), Mt Dew Baja Blast Zero (usually only at Taco Bell) and Diet Root Beer (Barq's is the best, but A&W and, surprisingly, Shasta are good too if Barq's isn't available).

Coke Zero is okay but I find it can be hit or miss especially out of a fountain, especially with my slightly weird taste post-Covid. Diet Coke isn't great but I can drink it, Diet Pepsi is a little better, and Pepsi Zero I haven't really tried more than a sip, but I think it's better than the diet labeled ones. I've tried to like Diet Mt Dew, can't usually do that. Mt Dew Zero is a step up, but doesn't hold a candle to Mello Yello Zero, and that gap has seemed wider with my post-covid taste. I should probably try Diet Dr Pepper honestly, I remember it being pretty close to the original, might actually be worth keeping in the fridge.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bandit957 on April 10, 2021, 08:20:04 PM
Surge was cool. Anyone remember Surge? It was a green soda that was really popular in the '90s. But then it suddenly dropped off the face of the earth.

Surge tasted way better than Jolt Cola.

I loved Nu-Grape growing up and cannot stand cream soda. 

hbelkins

This may be something for a whole 'nother topic, but I don't get the fascination with beer. It was definitely an acquired taste for me, and then only for the purposes of becoming intoxicated back when I did such things. It still astonishes me that there are people who actually like the taste of it and drink it for the taste instead of its intoxicating properties.

The other day, I saw that a college friend of mine had posted a picture of a beer he was getting ready to consume called "Technical Ecstasy" complete with a rendering on the label of the robot featured on the album cover of the same name. My immediate thought was that it probably tasted the same as if one was drinking a big foamy glass of Ozzy Osbourne's urine.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2021, 03:30:38 PM
This may be something for a whole 'nother topic, but I don't get the fascination with beer. It was definitely an acquired taste for me, and then only for the purposes of becoming intoxicated back when I did such things. It still astonishes me that there are people who actually like the taste of it and drink it for the taste instead of its intoxicating properties.

The other day, I saw that a college friend of mine had posted a picture of a beer he was getting ready to consume called "Technical Ecstasy" complete with a rendering on the label of the robot featured on the album cover of the same name. My immediate thought was that it probably tasted the same as if one was drinking a big foamy glass of Ozzy Osbourne's urine.

And for me, I don't understand how people can drink so much soda.  Once every once in a while if I'm on a road trip and get fast food, but I just can't handle stuff that sweet all the time.  I can drink beer far more easily.

Chris

webny99

This may be something for a whole 'nother topic ...

Yes indeed:

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2021, 03:31:57 PM
What about "a whole 'nother"?

This is something I hear fairly often, but don't usually see in writing. It bothers me mostly because it just doesn't make any sense. Is it just easier to say, or is there some other reason why this has become the prevailing way to say "another whole"?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2021, 03:40:27 PM
This may be something for a whole 'nother topic ...

Yes indeed:

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2021, 03:31:57 PM
What about "a whole 'nother"?

This is something I hear fairly often, but don't usually see in writing. It bothers me mostly because it just doesn't make any sense. Is it just easier to say, or is there some other reason why this has become the prevailing way to say "another whole"?

It's an example of what grammatically is called an infix.  Just like a prefix or suffix, you can add meaning in the middle of the word.  My linguistics professor's favorite example was abso-fuckin'-lutely. It exists far more commonly in other languages.

Chris

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

I once saw celery soda for sale at a grocery store. I've never had it, but I have to imagine that'd be the worst soda of all time.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on April 13, 2021, 05:30:22 PM
I once saw celery soda for sale at a grocery store. I've never had it, but I have to imagine that'd be the worst soda of all time.

You could probably make a decent cocktail with that, though.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

My youth group once had a game involving bacon soda. Everyone said it was nasty.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.