News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A tax on bikes? Hit the road, some cyclists say

Started by cpzilliacus, March 08, 2013, 08:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2013, 01:36:47 PM
I'm arguing that you should avoid being a dick and hitting them.

and I'm arguing that they should stop being a dick and getting into situations where it is very, very close to physically impossible to avoid them.

what is it about bicyclists that gives them an innate right to get themselves into near-miss situations where you would condemn a motor vehicle for following the exact same trajectory?

if I run a stop sign, and someone has to do a fantastic bit of evasive driving to avoid hitting me - you'd seriously assign the blame based on what type of vehicle I'm operating?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hobsini2

Agent, I like to think that there are some responsible cyclists out there just like I am sure that some of them would like to think there are responsible drivers too. But to answer you question in the meantime, according to those cyclists here who shall remain nameless, yes a driver is at fault 100% of the time even if the driver is parked or at a dead stop and the cyclist runs in to the vehicle.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kkt

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 14, 2013, 02:50:10 PM
Agent, I like to think that there are some responsible cyclists out there just like I am sure that some of them would like to think there are responsible drivers too. But to answer you question in the meantime, according to those cyclists here who shall remain nameless, yes a driver is at fault 100% of the time even if the driver is parked or at a dead stop and the cyclist runs in to the vehicle.

I have trouble believing that a car driver is at fault if s/he's stopped or legally parked and a cyclist runs into him/her.  Do you have an example?  Otherwise it really sounds like a straw man.

kphoger

One would hope there's a difference between running a stop sign with no traffic present and running a stop sign with a car imminently approaching.  Should the two not be enforced differently–for cars, bikes, donkey carts, etc.?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2013, 05:33:58 PM
One would hope there's a difference between running a stop sign with no traffic present and running a stop sign with a car imminently approaching.  Should the two not be enforced differently–for cars, bikes, donkey carts, etc.?

there's also a difference between the following:

a) slowing down enough to see that there is no traffic, rolling through the STOP sign, and then accelerating back to cruising speed
b) without slowing down, blowing through the STOP sign as though it did not exist, with no regard to possible traffic

there is a variant on b) when the bicyclist assumes that you will obey standard four-way-stop protocol, and actually come to a stop... so they use the break in traffic to blow right through.  while this (if calculated correctly) does not produce a collision, it does alter the dynamic of the four-way-stop, and let's face it, if a car did that, not even NE2 would be praising that driver's cleverness.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

b-variant is something I used to do as a kid, but don't do now that I'm a growed-up.  I've seen cars do it too, though the more common variant is to tail the car in front of them through the intersection without stopping.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 14, 2013, 05:54:09 PM
there is a variant on b) when the bicyclist assumes that you will obey standard four-way-stop protocol, and actually come to a stop... so they use the break in traffic to blow right through.  while this (if calculated correctly) does not produce a collision, it does alter the dynamic of the four-way-stop, and let's face it, if a car did that, not even NE2 would be praising that driver's cleverness.
I wouldn't praise a cyclist either for blowing through a stop sign. Both parties can be wrong.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

But the question then becomes:  would you praise anyone, ever?
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

I'd always praise the Grand High Alan, except when goat.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2013, 08:42:51 PM
I wouldn't praise a cyclist either for blowing through a stop sign. Both parties can be wrong.

no, in the case of anyone blowing through a four-way stop sign, precisely one party would be wrong.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 14, 2013, 09:03:42 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2013, 08:42:51 PM

no, in the case of anyone blowing through a four-way stop sign, precisely one party would be wrong.
No. If A blows through and B (who has waited his turn) notices this but goes anyway and hits A, both are in the wrong.

Even absent specific laws (which do exist), this is called the "last clear chance" rule and is a general legal doctrine.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2013, 09:10:59 PM

No. If A blows through and B (who has waited his turn) notices this but goes anyway and hits A, both are in the wrong.

but if I have insufficient time to notice this (say, I've already come to a full stop and started up again), then there's only so much I can do. 

and anyone that counts on people to consistently go through evasive maneuvers to avoid them, and thus runs stop signs regularly, is a dick.  yes, I will stop for you, but having to slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid your lawbreaking behavior does not make me the party in the wrong.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

If you fail to avoid a crash when you could have, yes, you are in the wrong. That doesn't mean the other guy is not in the wrong too. How fucking hard is this to understand?

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2013, 10:05:00 PM
If you fail to avoid a crash when you could have, yes, you are in the wrong. That doesn't mean the other guy is not in the wrong too. How fucking hard is this to understand?
If you CAN avoid a crash, yes. If you are driving properly and someone else is driving improperly and you CAN'T avoid the crash, then they are at fault. I think we're clear now.

And yes, if bicycles run a red light, they SHOULD be ticketed. I can't say I always obey the rules of the road when I'm on the bike, but I do my best unless I'm really in a hurry. (Because technically, I could dismount and walk it across the intersection and remount.)

NE2

Quote from: Steve on March 14, 2013, 11:41:54 PM
Because technically, I could dismount and walk it across the intersection and remount.
Only legal if you wait for the walk signal. (If there's no ped signal you can only cross on green.) Though you could turn right, immediately U-turn by crossing midblock (if legal), and then turn right again.

This is getting into angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin type questions. Like can you turn right on don't walk (from a right-side sidewalk to a crossroad)?

djsinco

Many years ago my Dad was pulling out of a business driveway and a bicyclist ran into him. The biker was on the sidewalk, and did not pay attention to the car which was already (legally) blocking the sidewalk waiting for a brake in traffic to leave. There were no citations issued. The bike rider was taken to the hospital for contusions and a broken collarbone. A police incident report was filed, citing the biker as at fault. In the end he (or his insurance) had to pay to repair the minor damage to my fathers car. So, not always is the car driver found at fault.
3 million miles and counting

hobsini2

Quote from: kkt on March 14, 2013, 03:47:33 PM

I have trouble believing that a car driver is at fault if s/he's stopped or legally parked and a cyclist runs into him/her.  Do you have an example?  Otherwise it really sounds like a straw man.

KKT, I was being sarcastic if you missed that.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: djsinco on March 15, 2013, 02:49:25 AM
Many years ago my Dad was pulling out of a business driveway and a bicyclist ran into him. The biker was on the sidewalk, and did not pay attention to the car which was already (legally) blocking the sidewalk waiting for a brake in traffic to leave. There were no citations issued. The bike rider was taken to the hospital for contusions and a broken collarbone. A police incident report was filed, citing the biker as at fault. In the end he (or his insurance) had to pay to repair the minor damage to my fathers car. So, not always is the car driver found at fault.

This past week, I spent much of a morning on M Street, N.W. in the Georgetown area of Washington, D.C. (near the Key Bridge) during the morning commute period.

Even though it was a cold day (for March in D.C.), there were a lot of bikes out.  I was literally taken-aback by how many bikes were (illegally) using the sidewalk instead of the street, a bad thing, especially when there were people standing on that sidewalk waiting for the bus to come, and quite a few pedestrians out - some walking and some jogging (soldiers from the Army's Fort Myer like to jog across the Key Bridge and then around Georgetown - a fair number of students from the Georgetown University also jog).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 14, 2013, 05:54:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2013, 05:33:58 PM

there's also a difference between the following:

a) slowing down enough to see that there is no traffic, rolling through the STOP sign, and then accelerating back to cruising speed
b) without slowing down, blowing through the STOP sign as though it did not exist, with no regard to possible traffic

(A) is usually my standard operating procedure for Stop signs.  And if there is traffic, I will treat it as if I was in a car.  I couldn't even imagine trying (B) at any of the intersections I traverse with stop signs.
I'm pretty consistent at obeying traffic signals, regardless of whether it looks like there is no other traffic.  The one "corner" I sometimes cut, though, is making a Right-On-Red even if there is a sign not to if there's no other cars in sight.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

kphoger

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 15, 2013, 04:18:52 PM
I couldn't even imagine trying (B) at any of the intersections I traverse with stop signs.

I once had near-disastrous results doing that when I was about seven or eight years old.  I lived about two blocks from Cedar Road in New Lenox, IL; it is probably busier now than it was then, but it was still a fairly busy street even in the 1980s.  Anyway, I always slowed or stopped at the Stop sign to check for traffic before riding across Cedar.  There were so many times that I stopped or slowed yet no cars were coming, that (this was apparently logical to my childhood mind) one day I decided to not even look.  I didn't even touch the brakes or turn my head–just rode straight across the road.  I could swear a car came within three inches of me; for sure, it spun out in the middle of the road (did at least a 180° skid) and the driver used all sorts of colorful language at me.  That's probably the closest to death I've ever come.
Male pronouns, please.

realjd

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 15, 2013, 08:58:31 AM

This past week, I spent much of a morning on M Street, N.W. in the Georgetown area of Washington, D.C. (near the Key Bridge) during the morning commute period.

Even though it was a cold day (for March in D.C.), there were a lot of bikes out.  I was literally taken-aback by how many bikes were (illegally) using the sidewalk instead of the street, a bad thing, especially when there were people standing on that sidewalk waiting for the bus to come, and quite a few pedestrians out - some walking and some jogging (soldiers from the Army's Fort Myer like to jog across the Key Bridge and then around Georgetown - a fair number of students from the Georgetown University also jog).

For most parts of DC, cycling on the sidewalk is perfectly legal.

kphoger

Quote from: realjd on March 17, 2013, 12:06:27 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 15, 2013, 08:58:31 AM

For most parts of DC, cycling on the sidewalk is perfectly legal.

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
Male pronouns, please.

djsinco

Facts being changed in DC? Perish the thought!
3 million miles and counting

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.