News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeeking/travel goals and accomplishments

Started by hbelkins, June 26, 2018, 01:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swhuck

2DIs. All of them.

An oddball one -- every university that is in the FBS. I'm probably at 85%+.

I would say major league ballparks, but those are clinched. :)
Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

jon daly

I have a friend whose goal was to hit every bar in Connecticut. I doubt that he has succeeded, but I know he put a pretty big dent in the list over the years.

Thinking this over, maybe the Washington-Rochembeau Revolutionary Route (WR3) might be a worthy goal. I work right off of it.

froggie

^ Bring hiking shoes.  Following some of the route in northern Virginia requires walking through parkland.

CtrlAltDel

My, admittedly humble, goal was to clinch the contiguous forty-eight states. (Map follows)

That said, since I completed these clinches in 2016, I've been halfheartedly clinching counties, mostly since I didn't know what else to do, but now that someone's brought up the idea of clinching an Interstate, a US Route, and a state route in each of them, I think I might do that instead.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1 on June 30, 2018, 04:36:49 PM
Why is that map in French?
I think that's how I have the language settings set in Google.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

csw

My primary travel goal is counting counties. Beyond that I keep track of state highpoints, MLB ballparks, golf courses, and airports that I've been to. I would also like to travel (not necessarily clinch) every 2DI, climb every US 14er, and hike the Appalachian Trail.

Needless to say I've got a long way to go.

D-Dey65

As you can probably guess I've had my heart set pictures of a lot of rest areas, weigh stations, unusual road signs and other road features. As much as I like Old US 17 in Jasper County, SC, and Emporia, VA, I think I've had my fill of them. One that has been nagging me for 19 years is the old Four Oaks, NC partial interchange along I-95. On my previous trip, I was lucky enough to capture the northbound truck scale in Carson, VA, but not the southbound one. Sunsets really screw up pictures, so I'm going to have to make a detour and a U-Turn between Exits 37 and 41.

Another thing I wouldn't mind is clinching NY 100. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do that on this trip.

Mergingtraffic

I really have no interest in clinching or mileage based exit renumberings.  I know the latter gets tons of response on here.  I sometimes wonder why.

But basically I just like to get old signs and expressway stubs.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jon daly

It's a diverse hobby. I like maps and commercial signage. Lately, I've been focusing more on old gas stations and cars when I drive (I saw a DeSoto on Saturday! But I was even more excited to see some non-LED gas pumps.)

From attending a roadmeet a decade ago, I knew that others liked DOT signage. I had no idea that some others were into traffic lights and other road furniture like barrels.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jon daly on July 09, 2018, 02:51:10 PM
It's a diverse hobby. I like maps and commercial signage. Lately, I've been focusing more on old gas stations and cars when I drive (I saw a DeSoto on Saturday! But I was even more excited to see some non-LED gas pumps.)

From attending a roadmeet a decade ago, I knew that others liked DOT signage. I had no idea that some others were into traffic lights and other road furniture like barrels.

Speaking of Desotos, I found this one while driving the Everglades Loop Road south of the Tamiami Trail through the Pinecrest ghost town In 2013:

https://flic.kr/p/SBX1TK

Speaking of ghost towns, holy crap can you get some great photos of old school signage at some of those places.  Florida and the West Coast in general of chock full of derelict roadways that lead to abandoned places.  Usually I go out of my way to include ghost towns on my highway albums if there are any.  Tracking down the history of an abandoned place often provides a huge amount of insight as to why infrastructure was developed in particular places. 

wanderer2575

Sign photos -- route shield assemblies and BGSs.  The more, the merrier.

NWI_Irish96

My clinching goals:
1) Every county in Indiana - finished
2) All interstates in Indiana - missing about half of 469 and then of course the rest of 69 when it opens
3) All US Highways in Indiana - about 2/3 done
4) All state highways in Indiana - just recently cracked 50%
5) All signed, numbered highways in Jefferson County, KY - completed
6) All signed, numbered highways in Cook County, IL - about 2/3 done

If I'm fortunate enough to complete all of those, then my next goal would be to get as much of the interstate system as possible.  Currently at 40% so I'm off to a good start but that's a lot of time and miles to accomplish.

A non highway related goal I used to have was see at game at every MLB stadium, but due to the rapid building of new ones, my count of unvisited stadiums started increasing instead of decreasing so I've given up on that.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

csw

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 09, 2018, 04:45:14 PM
Yikes, you must have a lot of patience to sit through all that traffic.

jon daly

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2018, 04:26:32 PM
Quote from: jon daly on July 09, 2018, 02:51:10 PM

Speaking of Desotos, I found this one while driving the Everglades Loop Road south of the Tamiami Trail through the Pinecrest ghost town In 2013:

https://flic.kr/p/SBX1TK

The one I saw was in better condition.

I'm thinking of watching some of these Car Week shows, but I find History to be a hit and miss channel. On The Cars That Built America, I swear that they misplaced the Arab Oil Embargo a few years too early when explaining the reason small cars manufacturing started here in the US.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: csw on July 09, 2018, 06:30:00 PM

Almost all of it done outside of rush hour. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

I'd like to drive at least one segment of every 2di.
I'd also like to visit every state, or at least the lower 48.

My mob-rule.com map, linked below, is the only thing travel/road related that I am actually tracking at this point. Tracking roads I've driven sounds cool in theory, but also kind of like a big, time-consuming headache to orchestrate. I find it easier and more encouraging to look at my travels (literally and figuratively) from a macro point of view.

Bruce

Other than the standard county and route clinching, I've also been trying to ride as many transit systems I can, particularly local light rail/metros (and clinching every line if possible). I've tracked the routes extensively and marked down general maps (red checks for full clinches, blue circles for partial):

Also, I've walked across both termini of Interstate 5 as a pedestrian within the same calendar year (but on separate trips). Rode the train all the way to San Ysidro, got out of the car and walked across the Peace Arch.

froggie

^ Just like a friend of mine in DC.  Though he is also including all the commuter rail systems in his rail transit clinch quest.

Of those LRT/Heavy Rail systems, the only one I have a full "clinch" of is Norfolk.  Never even finished the DC Metro, and I lived there for 4 years...

formulanone

Quote from: csw on July 09, 2018, 06:30:00 PM

If you live within a metro area long enough, that area can reasonably be accomplished in anywhere from a month to a few years' time, depending on how much spare time one has or how complex the route system is.

MisterSG1

Quote from: Bruce on July 11, 2018, 03:46:33 PM
Other than the standard county and route clinching, I've also been trying to ride as many transit systems I can, particularly local light rail/metros (and clinching every line if possible). I've tracked the routes extensively and marked down general maps (red checks for full clinches, blue circles for partial):

Also, I've walked across both termini of Interstate 5 as a pedestrian within the same calendar year (but on separate trips). Rode the train all the way to San Ysidro, got out of the car and walked across the Peace Arch.

Hey, where's the Spadina Subway extension in the Toronto diagram....it opened on Dec 17, 2017.

Bruce

The original set hasn't been updated in while, since the original creator passed away. It's also missing eBART in SF and the Evergreen Extension in Vancouver, among others.

paulthemapguy

I want a photo of a route marker for every 2di, every US highway, and 3 state routes from every state, plus a few extras so I can make a 5x11 collage of distinct route signs numbered from 1-54.  I need about 422 photos, and I'm about 56% done.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Bruce on July 11, 2018, 03:46:33 PM

I also like to do that! Sometimes I park in the outskirts of a city and reach the city center by streetcar (tram) or bus. I can claim part of a bus route thanks to that.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

paulthemapguy

Also btw--My first objective was to snap a photo of every state, Interstate, and US route marker, so I can prove I've been on every marked highway in Illinois.  Since I completed that challenge several years ago, I've expanded the objective to include Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan.  Thinking about possibly adding Ohio and Minnesota to the mix too.  That explains the primary list of albums on my flickr page; the albums of shield cutout photos are the displays of which routes I have checked off of the list.  Here's the album of Indiana shield cutouts, as an example, that I'm 1 away from finishing
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.