News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 05, 2018, 01:16:53 AM
I have a strong hunch that AR 10 (despite being a state highway) is maintained (in the Greenwood area) by Sebastian Co. Road Dept in Greenwood.
In AR, State routes are state maintenance, right? FWIW, They're in the ROAD_INVENTORY_AHTD shapefiles, with route numbers, section numbers, logmiles, and all the same info...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: yakra on May 05, 2018, 03:06:24 AM
I have a strong hunch that AR 10 (despite being a state highway) is maintained (in the Greenwood area) by Sebastian Co. Road Dept in Greenwood.
In AR, State routes are state maintenance, right? FWIW, They're in the ROAD_INVENTORY_AHTD shapefiles, with route numbers, section numbers, logmiles, and all the same info...
The reason for the speculation of AR 10 is due to lettings by the state for this specific area. I don't here much about Greenwood contracts for maintenance of AR 10. I have relatives in Greenwood and frequent the area regularly.

No doubt AR 10 is in the state's inventory, after all -- it is one of many heavily traveled highways in the Natural State.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

bugo

It's maintained by the state, as all other state highways in Arkansas are.

bugo

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 05, 2018, 12:34:13 AM
Hee hee: "Complete I-49 between Texarkana and Fort Smith." (And more than 1 person agreed.  :-D )

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=660507.0

Hogville is made of the dumbest bunch of numbskulls in America.

US71

I may have understood wrong, but I thought someone at the 612 Dedication said finishing the 412 was  the first priority, then finishing I-49
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

"Right now, we do show it industrial. Let's change it to commercial, retail, whatever all that would be. It backs up to the college's property. It's sitting on the freeway. The minute that a bridge is announced – not built, but just announced – that property ... (someone) would pay $150,000 an acre for it and not even flinch."

(Three guesses what "bridge" he means and the first two don't count - and watch what happens around eastern Gravette, AR if the Bella Vista Bypass gets funded next month:)

Memco move to Chaffee Crossing in doubt after property offer rejected

https://talkbusiness.net/2018/05/memco-move-to-chaffee-crossing-in-doubt-after-property-offer-rejected/

US71

FWIW, it looks like 549 at 71 south of Ft Smith will soon be getting it's first commercial interest: Casey's General Store. Casey's already has a location at 549 and AR 22.

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

US71

TBKS1

Quote from: US71 on May 19, 2018, 08:38:05 AM
Quote from: TBKS1 on May 18, 2018, 11:59:55 PM
I'm assuming this has been posted here before.

AR-549 - Future I-49 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

Future I-49 sign by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

Future I-49 Exit 191 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

Future I-49 Exit 193 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

You forgot Massard Rd ;)

We were actually on the way home from Fort Chaffee, and we accidentally took a wrong turn over here... so I don't have a picture of Massard Road.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

I-39

So if the voters approve the gas tax hike in MO this fall, could we FINALLY see the Bella Vista Bypass finished?

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: I-39 on May 25, 2018, 02:01:48 PM
So if the voters approve the gas tax hike in MO this fall, could we FINALLY see the Bella Vista Bypass finished?

The problem with this is that the speculative market has decided to run up oil and therefore, gas prices. There plenty of oil but oh well.

MikieTimT

Drove the Bella Vista Bypass yesterday going to Gravette and noticed that they are already clearing trees and moving dirt south of the first AR-72 exit for the northbound carriageway even though there's no news on Missouri's ability to connect to it yet.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 28, 2018, 01:11:29 PM
Drove the Bella Vista Bypass yesterday going to Gravette and noticed that they are already clearing trees and moving dirt south of the first AR-72 exit for the northbound carriageway even though there's no news on Missouri's ability to connect to it yet.

ARDOT announced a few months ago that they intended to start on the other 2 lanes so they would be ready to go when Missouri got started.

Henry

Any news on Texarkana-Ft. Smith? My suspicions say that they will not start working on that until the Bella Vista Bypass is completed and opened to traffic.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikieTimT

Quote from: Henry on May 30, 2018, 09:41:44 AM
Any news on Texarkana-Ft. Smith? My suspicions say that they will not start working on that until the Bella Vista Bypass is completed and opened to traffic.

My suspicion is that they won't do any further planning of that portion other than city bypasses until the I-40 to AR-22 portion over the Arkansas River is completed.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 30, 2018, 01:17:23 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 30, 2018, 09:41:44 AM

Something was mentioned at the AR612 dedication about finishing the 412 Bypass, THEN working on I-49.
My suspicion is that they won't do any further planning of that portion other than city bypasses until the I-40 to AR-22 portion over the Arkansas River is completed.

O Tamandua

Here's a picture I took last Saturday from a mile south of the current northern terminus of the Bella Vista Bypass, at what used to be called Gun Range Road.  Given that there are small segments of paved four lane (with two of them inaccessible) stretches at both this and the Highway 72 exit to the south and east of this photograph, it looks like the first full four lane section of the BVP may be between these two exits.

US71

Plutonic Panda

Surely there will be more grants coming. When will the next round be?

Gordon

There is a Build America grant now until July 29th open for applications. Formerly Tiger grant, but the limit is 25 million, Missouri set aside money a couple of years ago but hasn't added to  the amount since, so it shows that 2022 want happen either. they need to show the Feds they are serious.

MikieTimT

Now we get to see if they finish the 412 Bypass or the Bella Vista Bypass first.  Not much light at the end of the tunnel for either one for a while, though.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: O Tamandua on June 01, 2018, 10:43:16 PM
Here's a picture I took last Saturday from a mile south of the current northern terminus of the Bella Vista Bypass, at what used to be called Gun Range Road.  Given that there are small segments of paved four lane (with two of them inaccessible) stretches at both this and the Highway 72 exit to the south and east of this photograph, it looks like the first full four lane section of the BVP may be between these two exits.

Well, that's a rare sight! Yellow skip contrast lane lines.

sparker

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on July 21, 2018, 01:41:18 AM

Pretty common on 2-way highways; in this case, the carriageway would be used for 2-way traffic until the other two lanes (pictured under construction) were opened; at that time, the striping would be redone as white.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: sparker on July 21, 2018, 02:35:28 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on July 21, 2018, 01:41:18 AM

Pretty common on 2-way highways; in this case, the carriageway would be used for 2-way traffic until the other two lanes (pictured under construction) were opened; at that time, the striping would be redone as white.
That seems to be the case, but I am referring to the general appearance of the style of the lane lines. I have not seen that style used anywhere in my travels across the state. Thanks for informing me about the difference in color between white and yellow purpose.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.