AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 09:29:54 PM 
Started by mgk920 - Last post by Bruce
So since when did TNT get the Champions League? And why did they have Barcelona on early today?

They acquired the rights for 2018-19 thru to 2020-21 last year. It's going to be a disaster, so I'm sticking to my online streams.

Soccer coverage here is starting to get worse for a lot of leagues, either in terms of partners or availability for the price. I wish we still had World Cups on ESPN, MLS on NBC, and Fox on Champions League.

on: Today at 09:17:16 PM 
Started by silverback1065 - Last post by CapeCodder
Is it just me, or does Missouri use very large rocks in their asphalt aggregate?

Yes. When those SOB's come loose and hit your windshield...

on: Today at 09:16:13 PM 
Started by Chris - Last post by froggie
Once I-269 and I-69 are fleshed out, a southern bypass of Memphis doesn't have to involve Memphis or even Tennessee whatsoever, just Mississippi and Arkansas.  If we're honest about finances, though, it'll be federal money that enables crossing the Mississippi River with the finances of those states, so the Memphis MSA would have some say there.  But it's likely that something catastrophic occurring with one of the current bridges is what it would take to actually make the push of any other crossing within the next 20 years.

Given that the states you mention are still trying to figure out how to pay for the "Great River Bridge" (I-69), I wouldn't look for a southern Memphis-area crossing anytime soon...

on: Today at 09:10:51 PM 
Started by Stojko - Last post by CapeCodder
Has anyone clinched Route 138 (the central portion, not the disconnected segments.) from the NY border to Natashquan? What's the quality of the road and is it paved to the very end or is it gravel after a certain point?

on: Today at 09:09:45 PM 
Started by noelbotevera - Last post by noelbotevera
honestly, why don't you table the idea until around january and february...it'll give you time to clearly think out an agenda - maybe talk to the right people behind the scenes to plan this out and then come back with a definite idea for a meet. 

I really think you need to go with your family to Pittsburgh and get an idea of what each of your ideas work and don't work -it may look ok or cool on a map but there may not be any real access.  (for example, the 837/885 Glenwood bridge area can be confusing and if you are not familiar how to get there it's not easy to turn around and go back if you take the wrong turn.)

I would seriously focus on one area - because Pittsburgh is a place you can't easily get there from here - and not try to showcase everything.  That's why we had anywhere from 2-3 Pittsburgh meets a year from 1999-2008 or so.
I think planning it out this far out was a good call. At the very least, I'd get more responses by announcing it earlier, and people who plan to attend can check their calendars and plan for days off ASAP, so higher attendance.

Scouting I can get help with. I can speak to locals about typical traffic patterns, or what might be good ideas. Besides, my family personally doesn't have the time to go to Pittsburgh. This is the best way I can scout, and there's meets out there that have been scouted this way.

Okay, you have a point there. I'm aware of traffic, and I should be aware of sports games going on around this time, but aside from major holidays like Independence Day, I'd say I could be able to cover everything within a reasonable amount of time and with reasonable traffic.

Honestly, I'm expecting things to go wrong. It's my first meet, but I'm going to do my best with organizing this. If things don't go to plan - oh well! I could just improvise something.

on: Today at 09:06:01 PM 
Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny - Last post by Hot Rod Hootenanny
Here are the "last minute" changes for next Saturday.
Max & Ermas @ 11:30 AM (7890 Mentor Ave, Mentor, OH 44060 - For those who need to plug the address in their GPS)
Tour will start 30 minutes after Bryan's talk ends.
Itinerary is as follows:
Stop 1) 60 year old abandoned concrete road that once carried OH 306, just south of I-90
Stop 2) Mason's Landing Park/Vrooman Rd Bridge (http://bridgehunter.com/oh/lake/vroooman-road/)
Stop 3) New 'Variable Speed Limit' signage along I-90 (We're NOT stopping along I-90 to analyze any of the signs, just noting their appearance)
Stop 4) Harpersfield Covered Bridge - Truss Bridge combo (http://bridgehunter.com/oh/ashtabula/harpersfield/)
Stop 5) Smolen-Gulf & Riverview Covered Bridges (http://bridgehunter.com/oh/ashtabula/smolen-gulf/)
Stop 6) Ashtabula Harbor Through Truss Bridge (http://bridgehunter.com/oh/ashtabula/406635/)
Stop 7) Liberty Street Covered Bridge in Geneva
Stop 7a) Old US 20 stub end (with bricks & trolley tracks), west of Geneva.

Stops (re: bridges) can be added or subtracted to the tour depending on available sunlight (Sunset will be just after 7 PM in Ashtabula Co that day), time, weather, and collective wishes of the traveling lynch mob or group leader.

FWIW, I have no strong feelings concerning dinner afterwards. Basically I'm going to play it by feel.

on: Today at 09:05:32 PM 
Started by briantroutman - Last post by froggie
Quote from: hbelkins
Especially in Breezewood. Isn't that when the epic backups usually occur?

Could always go in the back way.  In point of fact, it's better to bike from the Sideling Hill/east end anyways, as you'd get a net downhill on the return trip and that's the end with the abandoned travel plaza.

on: Today at 09:04:36 PM 
Started by noelbotevera - Last post by CanesFan27
AJ,

It's because I grew up there and know what does and does not work logistically and otherwise.  Jeff and/or I did meets for years there and didn't worry about the traveling circus of meet attendees planning things nearly 12 months out. 

Take a step back and look at the logistical issues myself, jeff, and PHLBOS pointed out.  They are valid and from experience. This is going to sound harsher than it is, but If this meet was presented as is I wouldn't go out of my way to go back home to PA and attend it.  Let's be realistic versus being blinded by the idea of just wanting any excuse to have or go to a Pittsburgh area meet. 

This is why I suggest doing homework and having something solid vs. 30+ changes out in the open between now and next summer.  If the agenda keeps changing - people aren't going to know what to expect or where to go and most likely it'll fall apart mid tour.

I dont think you or anyone would want that to happen.

on: Today at 09:04:16 PM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by RobbieL2415
If Mr. Larson wants the tunnels to be for through traffic, he should be more concerned with new construction.  I would suggest implementing ConnDOT's plan to replace the viaduct (because unlike Larson, the people who work there are ACTUAL engineers) and also:

-Completing I-484
-Eliminating left exits
-That US 44 freeway to the NW.  That would definitely cut down on congestion in W Hartford and Avon and points NW
-Complete I-291 to said US 44 freeway.  Do what you have to do to save the environment.
-Freeway bypass for CT 4 as originally envisioned
-Build a new bridge just north of the Bulkley Bridge allowing three lanes (opposed to two) through downtown Hartford.  The Bulkley stays and is reverted to carry only US 44 as it did before I-84 was built.

You could probably do all that at a lower cost than two tunnels that won't do anything to add new volume.

on: Today at 09:01:51 PM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by ipeters61
- Price tag of up to $50 billion
That's roughly twice the actual overall cost of of Boston's Big Dig.
Just Googled it and Connecticut's entire state budget is $31 billion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.