News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Since it came up earlier. I-295's mileposts have been completely reposted from the NJ state line on the Delaware Memorial Bridge complete with milepost 0. All of DRBA's mileposts on the NJ side have been removed for NJDOT's.

Also, NJDOT finally signed which lane is which between I-295 and the NJ Turnpike interchange with an overhead sign on NJ-73. Weaving is still a problem there, but at least traffic making the Breezewood connection isn't confused anymore.

KEVIN_224

Is the sign at the corner of Fellowship Road? Where one on NJ Route 73 South makes a right hand loop to turn left!

NJRoadfan

Right after the ramp from I-295 north to NJ-73 south, there is a gantry with little signs over each lane saying which goes where. The Friendship Rd. jughandle and the NJTP ramp get their own lanes now.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 01, 2018, 05:25:36 PM
Right after the ramp from I-295 north to NJ-73 south, there is a gantry with little signs over each lane saying which goes where. The Friendship Rd. jughandle and the NJTP ramp get their own lanes now.

Oh, there's still plenty of weaving and confusion. Just go thru there at rush hour and you'll see plenty of it.

J Route Z

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 01, 2018, 06:24:23 PM

Oh, there's still plenty of weaving and confusion. Just go thru there at rush hour and you'll see plenty of it.

I heard of a project to modify Route 73 in this area, to have Church Road as an overpass crossing Route 73 as well as other improvements.

https://www.nj.gov/transportation/capital/tcp19/sec5/route/rt73.pdf

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on July 01, 2018, 11:27:47 AM
Quote from: storm2k on July 01, 2018, 03:17:18 AM
NJ.com: Surprise! Pulaski Skyway reopens 2 days early, delighting holiday drivers

QuoteThe New Jersey Department of Transportation had said the spans that make up the Skyway would reopen by Monday, but drivers were overjoyed and even a bit confused Saturday when they found they could again travel on its lanes.

QuoteNew Jersey Department of Transportation officials say while traffic lanes are open, more work on the Skyway will continue and there might be some intermittent closures in the future.

Will have to take a ride on this soon. Looks like all the signage is new.
There's a roadmeet for that on the 8th, if you'd like to join. Check out that thread.

Sadly, I have family plans that day, but everyone else should go check that out.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J Route Z on July 02, 2018, 01:05:07 AM

I heard of a project to modify Route 73 in this area, to have Church Road as an overpass crossing Route 73 as well as other improvements.

Part of that project was the Fellowship Road intersection, which they already completed as part of the Wal-Mart project.

The Church Road project, sorely needed, won't address the Fellowship Road intersection any further.

Interstatefan78

Just to update the post the US 1 & 9 Pulaski Skyway Northbound has been open since the evening of June 30th-July 1 2018 due to the VMS signs at I-95 NJ Turnpike exits 14-73 saying Nortbound Pulaski Skyway has reopened to Traffic ending the 4 years 4 months roadwork on the Pulaski Skyway.

J Route Z

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2018, 01:50:15 AM
Quote from: J Route Z on July 02, 2018, 01:05:07 AM

Part of that project was the Fellowship Road intersection, which they already completed as part of the Wal-Mart project.

The Church Road project, sorely needed, won't address the Fellowship Road intersection any further.

I haven't been in that area for so long. Many residents of that area have protested against a Wal Mart being built on such a busy road and would add even more traffic. Traffic on Church Road can back up for miles going towards Route 73 by the diner. There are also many other safety improvements making way in the near future: http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/news/20180601/njdot-will-host-public-information-sessions-on-evesham-moorestown-road-work

ixnay

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on July 03, 2018, 02:12:21 AM
Just to update the post the US 1 & 9 Pulaski Skyway Northbound has been open since the evening of June 30th-July 1 2018 due to the VMS signs at I-95 NJ Turnpike exits 14-73 saying Nortbound Pulaski Skyway has reopened to Traffic ending the 4 years 4 months roadwork on the Pulaski Skyway.

In other words the Skyway NB reopened early because a NJTA employee jumped the gun (deliberately or otherwise) jumped the gun on deploying the message?  Do you have a link for this information?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on July 05, 2018, 06:00:23 AM
Quote from: Interstatefan78 on July 03, 2018, 02:12:21 AM

In other words the Skyway NB reopened early because a NJTA employee jumped the gun (deliberately or otherwise) jumped the gun on deploying the message?  Do you have a link for this information?

ixnay

I think he just miswrote what he was trying to say.  Barricades, barrels and other things would need to be moved first to actually allow access to the roadway.

ixnay

The Drakes Brook bridge on U.S. 206 in Mt. Olive Twp. (between Chester and I-80) is closed for replacement.

https://morriscountynj.gov/2018/06/route-206-to-be-closed-in-mount-olive-starting-july-6-for-bridge-replacement-project/

ixnay

roadman65

Quote from: ixnay on July 08, 2018, 09:11:03 PM
The Drakes Brook bridge on U.S. 206 in Mt. Olive Twp. (between Chester and I-80) is closed for replacement.

https://morriscountynj.gov/2018/06/route-206-to-be-closed-in-mount-olive-starting-july-6-for-bridge-replacement-project/

ixnay
If this were Florida a temporary bridge would be built long side it.  Only local and county roads do they detour you or if its in an urban area where nearby streets can circumnavigate around it real easily or on a rural not so much used road.

However, US 206 type of road would have the temporary bridge next to it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2018, 10:57:55 PM

ixnay
If this were Florida a temporary bridge would be built long side it.  Only local and county roads do they detour you or if its in an urban area where nearby streets can circumnavigate around it real easily or on a rural not so much used road.

There is no need for a temporary bridge because the local detour is sufficient.

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on July 08, 2018, 11:04:09 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2018, 10:57:55 PM

ixnay

There is no need for a temporary bridge because the local detour is sufficient.
I would say so, but some engineers do like to do things the hard way unfortunately. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

NJ.com used a radar gun to see what actual speeds were on various highways for a period of time.

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/nj_speeding_drivers_average_speed_radar_checks_how.html

In most cases, 100% of the traffic was going above the speed limit.  Not terribly surprising, although I'm surprised they didn't see a few cars under the limit.  If the limit was 55 mph, usually traffic was going way above the limit.  Overall, traffic was going in the low-to-mid 70 mph range, regardless of the limit.  Usually the fastest vehicles topped out close to 85 mph (about 20 mph faster than the limit). The only road mentioned where some of the traffic was significantly under the limit was on US 1, with a 50 mph limit at the test point and plenty of driveways, parking lots and intersections.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2018, 08:29:54 AM
NJ.com used a radar gun to see what actual speeds were on various highways for a period of time.

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/nj_speeding_drivers_average_speed_radar_checks_how.html

In most cases, 100% of the traffic was going above the speed limit.  Not terribly surprising, although I'm surprised they didn't see a few cars under the limit.  If the limit was 55 mph, usually traffic was going way above the limit.  Overall, traffic was going in the low-to-mid 70 mph range, regardless of the limit.  Usually the fastest vehicles topped out close to 85 mph (about 20 mph faster than the limit). The only road mentioned where some of the traffic was significantly under the limit was on US 1, with a 50 mph limit at the test point and plenty of driveways, parking lots and intersections.

That's not surprising at all. The Turnpike should be signed for 75 mph, and the remaining 65 mph zones bumped up to 70.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: TXtoNJ on July 09, 2018, 10:06:35 AM

That's not surprising at all. The Turnpike should be signed for 75 mph, and the remaining 65 mph zones bumped up to 70.
The speed limit should be signed 85 if that's what most drivers are going, IMO.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 09, 2018, 10:42:51 AM

The speed limit should be signed 85 if that's what most drivers are going, IMO.

85 was the high end of measured speeds, so it should be signed at 80.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 09, 2018, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 09, 2018, 10:42:51 AM

The speed limit should be signed 85 if that’s what most drivers are going, IMO.

85 was the high end of measured speeds, so it should be signed at 80.

It should be signed at the 85th percentile speed, which is probably way beyond the comprehension of the reporters.

And, as noted, the speeds were nothing unusual.  Not noted but should be noted: No police department took issue with the speeds of travel. 

From my personal observations, the amount of traffic going over 80 mph in 65 zones has increased.  80 appears to have been the quasi-speed limit for many years, but generally few patrols are seen on the highways so speeds are increasing.  On the NJ Turnpike & GS Parkway, I'm still not sure what the unofficial limit is on those roads in many areas, but let's say it's probably no less than the fastest speed limit in the nation often times.

SidS1045

...and as we all know, none of the above will happen.  The state will give up almost anything, but never its assured revenue stream.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

TXtoNJ

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 09, 2018, 12:57:22 PM
...and as we all know, none of the above will happen.  The state will give up almost anything, but never its assured revenue stream.

To be fair, I don't think it's about revenue so much. I don't remember the NJSP pulling people over for anything less than 85 mph.

Instead, there's a regional sense that while the rest of the country has gone off the rails with its 80 mph+ limits, the sensible leaders of the Mid-Atlantic and New England have kept things to a prudent 65, only where absolutely necessary.

Of course, this is silly with Europe's 120 and 130 km/h limits in much higher density regions, but there you go.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 09, 2018, 12:57:22 PM

Then why did every state raise their speed limit after the NMSL was repealed?  If what you said was true, we'll all have 55 mph limits still.

Regardless of what the speed limit is, there's still going to be speeders.  There's also going to be tailgaters, left lane hogs, turn signal user phobias, drunks, and a whole bunch of other infractions being committed that'll result in people contributing to the revenue stream.

Believe it or not, lots of people are still given warnings rather than tickets.  Tickets for serious infractions are reduced to less serious infractions.  And a whole lot of people are never stopped for doing something wrong.

storm2k

In NJ, staties care way more about people weaving in and out of traffic than people speeding, as long as they're going with the flow of traffic. If traffic is moving slower and someone is weaving and speeding, they'll get pulled over almost every time.

AMLNet49

So what did the new I-278 exit numbers turn out to be? I dont think it was ever confirmed, there were just rumors. Or have the tarps not been taken off/numbers not confirmed yet?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.