News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Abandoned Rest Areas

Started by Brandon, January 10, 2014, 01:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

There was a pair of rest areas on on opposite sides of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, or MD-295, just north of where the Arundel Mills Blvd. interchange is now, partly sharing the same footprint in fact.  These weren't really "rest areas" as we know it, though.  All the areas had was a strip of pavement parallel with the highway, and a string of payphones on the left, close enough to call from your car.  I think the signage on the BW Parkway said "Pay Phone Rest Area" or something to that effect.  Rather unusual concept, I must say.

These rest areas must have closed some 15 years ago to make way for the Arundel Mills Blvd. exit.  No big loss, it seems, since cell phones were starting to become commonplace by then.  Since the spaces were re-landscaped for the ramps, and the rest areas were quite narrow to begin with, little if any evidence of them appears to remain.

1995hoo

I recall there being phones like that somewhere on the New York Thruway in the 1980s, somewhere between I-84 and Albany.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sdmichael

There are two closed Rest Areas on WB I-10 in the Los Angeles area, one near Colton, the other near Yucaipa. I-5 just north of SR-14 used to have a SB rest area, not sure when it was closed but it was at least by the early 1980's.

hm insulators

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2014, 02:55:28 PM
The Jersey Turnpike had one on the northbound side where Exit 13A is now–it was named for Admiral William Halsey, but there was no corresponding Uncle Albert Service Area on the southbound side.

We're so sorry, Uncle Albert. :poke:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hm insulators

Quote from: sdmichael on February 04, 2014, 11:24:59 PM
There are two closed Rest Areas on WB I-10 in the Los Angeles area, one near Colton, the other near Yucaipa. I-5 just north of SR-14 used to have a SB rest area, not sure when it was closed but it was at least by the early 1980's.

I don't remember the one on I-5.

About 40 or 50 miles east of Yuma are a couple of abandoned rest areas on I-8 that still have the buildings and such.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

sdmichael

The ones east of Yuma are still active. I stopped at one westbound in the last year.

jfs1988

Was there ever a rest area on Interstate 15 at the Riverside/San Diego County border? On a 1997 California Road Atlas and Drivers Guide from Thomas Bros Maps I used to have, it showed a rest area near Temecula. It might of been a printing error or maybe they did exist. Could the rest area been converted to a park & ride lot (There is one at the CA-79 Temecula Pkwy exit)? Could the rest areas would have been where the truck scales are now?

It was that blue book with a Interstate 5 shield. California's Most Comprehensive Guide to Highway & City Travel.

Truvelo

Quote from: sdmichael on February 12, 2014, 12:54:55 AM
The ones east of Yuma are still active. I stopped at one westbound in the last year.

One of those east of Yuma is closed and I saw plenty of other closed ones in Arizona on my recent visit.
Speed limits limit life

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: sdmichael on February 04, 2014, 11:24:59 PM
I-5 just north of SR-14 used to have a SB rest area, not sure when it was closed but it was at least by the early 1980's.

That's very cool.  I didn't remember that one, but you can still see its footprint on Google Maps.

roadman65

Did not I-80 in New Jersey used to have one in Hasbrouck Heights just west of NJ 17?  I thought I remember seeing a sign for it years ago.  As we all know NJ hates rest areas and if they're not closing them down completely, there just banning cars from them while letting truckers still use them.  So it would make perfect sense to of had one to later be closed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on February 17, 2014, 07:24:17 PM
Did not I-80 in New Jersey used to have one in Hasbrouck Heights just west of NJ 17?  I thought I remember seeing a sign for it years ago.  As we all know NJ hates rest areas and if they're not closing them down completely, there just banning cars from them while letting truckers still use them.  So it would make perfect sense to of had one to later be closed.
Find some evidence on Historic Aerials and we'll talk.

kkt

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 13, 2014, 09:02:08 PM
I-280 has abandoned vista points in San Mateo Co.

Yes, and it's a damn shame.  They had some lovely views.

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on February 17, 2014, 08:38:20 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 17, 2014, 07:24:17 PM
Find some evidence on Historic Aerials and we'll talk.
Thanks for pointing that one out.  Yes, I see it in the 1970 image.  I forgot all about the historic aerials.  As far as talking, I think I already said my point that NJ hates rest areas, but what I did not say is that its for good reasons as the late teens early adults ruined them with their parties back when I was in school in the 1980s.  The Glenside Rest Area on the GSP, for one, was closed because of its close approximatey to a grade school as teens were partying in the woods between the Parkway and the school.

Also, as I misspelled one word here, you can crucify me all you want for it even if Dan has a fatal heart attack.  I do not feel that I should spend even a second to look up a word that is fairly obvious what it is because the English language has too many flaws.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

I don't think it's that NJ hates rest areas; but rather why keep them open?  Many states have closed their rest areas as well, and those rest areas are in rural areas.  In NJ, you rarely have to go that far to 'rest'.  On I-295, the rest areas around MP 50 have closed, but there are plenty of facilities at Exit 47 & Exit 56 for one to use.

The rest area/welcome center near the south end of 295 in NJ remains open, albeit with restricted hours.

roadman65

Well they do because NJ considers it a chore rather than a service.  Like you said most places have adequate services at interchanges, so who needs them.

However, I-78 does not have too many interchanges at all with ideal services.  Only Exits 3, 15, and 58 have full amenities.  I-78, FYI has no full service rest areas eastbound its entire run.  WB at least has the PA Welcome Center.  It probably will not get much as the demand is not there.  Any tourist leaving NYC will not get tired until way into PA even if they leave late in the afternoon for places that are days away.    Those heading EB if they get tired around 6 or later would soon rather travel the 68 miles or less to the NYC area.   Hotels are not really that important for I-78 users at that point.

It could use them for restrooms as I have found many places do not offer facilities to the general public along the Route 78 corridor.

Sheryl Crowe

DSS5

The US 221 Rest Area (which also served the Blue Ridge Parkway) in Watauga County, North Carolina is closed. - http://goo.gl/maps/YSNrv

I discovered that the hard way. It's a shame, because it's really hard to find a place to piss on the Parkway in the winter when all the attractions are closed, and this rest area was useful in that regard.

busman_49

I read about one in Cincinnati (I think on cincinnatitransit.net) that used to be on I-275 near the Ward's Corner Rd. exit.  I think I found where it used to be:
http://goo.gl/maps/8iOXR

cpzilliacus

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 04, 2014, 08:23:57 PM
There was a pair of rest areas on on opposite sides of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, or MD-295, just north of where the Arundel Mills Blvd. interchange is now, partly sharing the same footprint in fact.  These weren't really "rest areas" as we know it, though.  All the areas had was a strip of pavement parallel with the highway, and a string of payphones on the left, close enough to call from your car.  I think the signage on the BW Parkway said "Pay Phone Rest Area" or something to that effect.  Rather unusual concept, I must say.

Agreed that those were unconventional.  The facilities that were really lacking there were restrooms.  Though there have always been "regular" rest areas along I-95 between I-495 and I-895 at North Laurel in Howard County.

QuoteThese rest areas must have closed some 15 years ago to make way for the Arundel Mills Blvd. exit.  No big loss, it seems, since cell phones were starting to become commonplace by then.  Since the spaces were re-landscaped for the ramps, and the rest areas were quite narrow to begin with, little if any evidence of them appears to remain.

Agreed.  They were located at about the place where the Arundel Mills Boulevard interchange is located today.  Also, this location is part of the state-maintained (Md. 295) part of the Parkway. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: DSS5 on February 23, 2014, 09:50:40 AM
I discovered that the hard way. It's a shame, because it's really hard to find a place to piss on the Parkway in the winter when all the attractions are closed, and this rest area was useful in that regard.

Agreed.  Years ago, when driving the entire Blue Ridge Parkway from Shenandoah National Park to Smoky Mountains National Park, I had a sudden and urgent need for restroom break on the Parkway in the early spring, before any of the attractions were open.  Fortunately, I was near U.S. 58 (Business U.S. 58 now) at Meadows of Dan, Va. and found a service station with excellent and clean facilities.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 02, 2014, 06:01:27 PM
I had a sudden and urgent need for restroom break on the Parkway in the early spring, before any of the attractions were open.
Pooing is cool.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

renegade

Quote from: busman_49 on March 02, 2014, 05:47:07 PM
I read about one in Cincinnati (I think on cincinnatitransit.net) that used to be on I-275 near the Ward's Corner Rd. exit.  I think I found where it used to be:
http://goo.gl/maps/8iOXR

Nope.  It's further south, below Milford Parkway.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

RG407

Quote from: Marc_in_CT on January 14, 2014, 04:19:32 PM
There is a pair on I-95 in Port Orange, FL.  I first discovered these about 11 years ago and last drove past them about a year ago, at which time the buildings were still standing.
Northbound: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=29.085492,-81.017196&spn=0.006357,0.010214&t=h&z=17
Southbound: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=29.095013,-81.023918&spn=0.003178,0.005107&t=h&z=18
I would love to know the condition of the insides of these vintage buildings.  It looks like the SB one is used for construction storage.  I can't help but wonder if they maintain the restrooms for DOT employee use?
As I was perusing this thread I was thinking how Florida hardly ever closes a rest area, but instead have rebuilt and expanded the original 60's-era rest areas on I-75 and I-95.  This pair in Port Orange is the exception.
There's something quaint about the 60's-era buildings until you go inside and realize how dark, cramped and gross they are.

NE2

Quote from: RG407 on March 03, 2014, 12:25:51 AM
As I was perusing this thread I was thinking how Florida hardly ever closes a rest area, but instead have rebuilt and expanded the original 60's-era rest areas on I-75 and I-95.  This pair in Port Orange is the exception.
FDOT closed a pair on I-4 at mile 70 once sprawl had reached that far; retention ponds now sit there.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 11, 2014, 09:34:12 PM
(This is partly re-posted from the thread about closed exits)

There was a pair of rest areas on I-71 about 20 miles southwest of Columbus, OH.  Someone told me they were closed due to prostitution activity going on there, but I think it was more likely the sprawling development in the Grove City area that made other "rest" options available.  Also, there was a rather steep incline to access the area on the SB side.  The ramps, now reduced to dirt paths, are still readily visible.
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d5589!2d-83.1780545!3d39.8172118!2m1!1e3&fid=7

I don't buy the "nearby rest options" story.  If proximity to nearby for-profit services were a reason to close a rest area in Ohio, then why is the one on I-75 near Hamilton still around?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kkt

Quote from: vtk on March 03, 2014, 10:27:43 AM
I don't buy the "nearby rest options" story.  If proximity to nearby for-profit services were a reason to close a rest area in Ohio, then why is the one on I-75 near Hamilton still around?

Yes, existence of a fast food strip or whatever is not a good reason for closing a rest area.

The fast food strip may be a mile from the exit and through several lights and long distance drivers won't want to deal with it.

The driver may need a nap or potty break, and not food.  Most fast food places won't be thrilled to have someone taking up space in their parking lot who didn't buy something.

Some long distance drivers are traveling with dogs and need a place to walk them and let them run around for a little while.

There may not be space for a big rig in the parking lot, and the turns getting there may be too tight.

We should make it as easy as possible for long-distance drivers to take the breaks they need.  I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.