News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

basilicon89

The idea behind cutaway visors on the red and green and tunnel on the yellow was so that pedestrians could see the colors from the street corner. This styling design is still in the books for some places but obviously not required anymore. The lack of pedestrian signals is why the Croswell light has that visor arrangement

The East Tawas light went in early 1960s to serve an elementary school. Sargent Sowell actually sold a "school crossing"  version of their four way light, which is highly likely what this example is. Basically it would cycle through normally during school hours and flash on the off hours. The school closed in the mid 70s, and eventually demolished I believe in the 80s or early 90s, and the signal was placed in permanent flash since then. I have tried to purchase this signal from the city for a few years but they are not interested in taking it down now. My name is on it for when it does come down someday.

Also in Michigan were two GE four way lights in Coldwater which can be seen in this video taken by someone on youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0s0nK1ZKI8

These GE four ways went in the late 40s or very early 50s and came down from service in 2011. I bought both of them from the city in November 2016 and sold one of them to a local collector and kept one. The wiring in both were toast but the fixtures were in good shape.

-Nick

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: basilicon89 on December 13, 2018, 10:34:34 AM
These GE four ways went in the late 40s or very early 50s and came down from service in 2011. I bought both of them from the city in November 2016 and sold one of them to a local collector and kept one. The wiring in both were toast but the fixtures were in good shape.

With that said, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking some pictures of it would be awesome! :nod:

basilicon89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2018, 10:39:29 AM

With that said, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking some pictures of it would be awesome! :nod:

Sure! I put an album on Flickr from the day I picked them up and the minor clean up work I did to the one I kept.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40838777@N08/albums/72157675472036690

I also collect other traffic signals and associated equipment, old and new. Enjoy! :)

-Nick

MNHighwayMan

That's so cool. Love it!

basilicon89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2018, 11:54:26 AM
That's so cool. Love it!

Much appreciated my friend! I tend to lurk more here since this is general road based forum and my interest tends to be more into the evolution of traffic signals/traffic engineering/technologies than signs or simply roads themselves.

If there is interest I can share some more of my collection and myself in the future

Regards,

-Nick

CJResotko

Quote from: traffic light guy on December 12, 2018, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2018, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: CJResotko on November 14, 2018, 09:10:36 PM
Here are some old traffic lights that are in Michigan.

Crouse-Hinds type M signal in Croswell: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2717408,-82.6201087,3a,15y,297.98h,112.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN3JR8IXbmIUDyD-qlNYd5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Odd find, a Kentucky-style signal there.  And only one of them (not two) at the intersection.

It looks so ugly with the mismatched visors
They look okay in my opinion

CJResotko

Quote from: Brandon on December 13, 2018, 09:35:18 AM
Quote from: traffic light guy on December 12, 2018, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2018, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: CJResotko on November 14, 2018, 09:10:36 PM
Here are some old traffic lights that are in Michigan.

Crouse-Hinds type M signal in Croswell: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2717408,-82.6201087,3a,15y,297.98h,112.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN3JR8IXbmIUDyD-qlNYd5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Odd find, a Kentucky-style signal there.  And only one of them (not two) at the intersection.

It looks so ugly with the mismatched visors

Typical in Kentucky (why I called it "Kentucky-style").

Examples from Kentucky:
https://goo.gl/maps/1w4NSHQrLdB2
https://goo.gl/maps/jyWVsz6UfTN2
https://goo.gl/maps/D1Sny7Qgfuu
https://goo.gl/maps/APrzWnXuWEo
I have also seen the "Kentucky style visors"  on many other 4-way signals, especially in Utica and Troy, NY

CJResotko

The idea behind cutaway visors on the red and green and tunnel on the yellow was so that pedestrians could see the colors from the street corner. This styling design is still in the books for some places but obviously not required anymore. The lack of pedestrian signals is why the Croswell light has that visor arrangement

The East Tawas light went in early 1960s to serve an elementary school. Sargent Sowell actually sold a "school crossing"  version of their four way light, which is highly likely what this example is. Basically it would cycle through normally during school hours and flash on the off hours. The school closed in the mid 70s, and eventually demolished I believe in the 80s or early 90s, and the signal was placed in permanent flash since then. I have tried to purchase this signal from the city for a few years but they are not interested in taking it down now. My name is on it for when it does come down someday.

Also in Michigan were two GE four way lights in Coldwater which can be seen in this video taken by someone on youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0s0nK1ZKI8

-Nick
I had posted my Sargent-Sowell traffic light in East Tawas video in the "Traffic Signals Controlled by Stop Signs"  topic

traffic light guy

It kind of saddens me how all the other flickr signal geeks get to take shots of rare and antique stuff (4-ways, GE streamlines, rare models that ceased produuction decades ago, worded pedestrain signals), while I'm lucky if I get a set of Eagle flatbacks. I've been told several times that an Eagle flatback doghouse is "Nothing specail", despite how Godforsakenly rare they are

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on December 26, 2018, 10:38:19 AM
It kind of saddens me how all the other flickr signal geeks get to take shots of rare and antique stuff (4-ways, GE streamlines, rare models that ceased produuction decades ago, worded pedestrain signals), while I'm lucky if I get a set of Eagle flatbacks. I've been told several times that an Eagle flatback doghouse is "Nothing specail", despite how Godforsakenly rare they are

On the flip side, less antique signals = better visibility for drivers, usually.

traffic light guy

I was lucky, and I was able to snag a few shots of some worded pedestrian signals.. This is the first time in 7 or 8 years that I've seen a worded pedestrian signal in person:
Eagle Flatback Worded Pedestrian Signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

jeffandnicole

Trenton still has a bunch of worded signs.  Sometimes the light bulbs even work as well!

traffic light guy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 27, 2018, 01:22:36 PM
Trenton still has a bunch of worded signs.  Sometimes the light bulbs even work as well!

Most worded pedestrian signals are now gone, due to the increasing popularity of LEDs, and due to people who don't speak english

Big John

^^ And new installations of worded signals are no longer allowed in MUTCD.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Big John on December 28, 2018, 02:42:09 PM

When did the MUTCD ban the use of newly installed worded pedestrian signals

Big John

Quote from: traffic light guy on December 28, 2018, 05:48:02 PM

2000 edition

traffic light guy

Quote from: Big John on December 28, 2018, 07:21:09 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on December 28, 2018, 05:48:02 PM

2000 edition

They've been quickly disappearing in my area, I remember back when I first moved to PA back in '06, these worded pedestrian signals were at every other intersection. Now there's only 4 or 5 intersections left that are within driving distance. Erie has them, but I would need to fly.
The City of Philadelphia, however got rid of all their worded pedestrain signals in the late-90s, a decade before the rest of the city caught on. Philly doesn't even have 3M signals anymore, they used to have thousands of them in the 70s and 80s.

There's only ONE intersection left in the entire city that has 3Ms:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0859318,-75.2119143,3a,75y,53.47h,92.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-02DOQnI2WMVGfSC3Xnt0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I don't even know if this setup counts because it's on the border between Philadelphia and Montgomery County

jeffandnicole

As mentioned, Trenton still has a bunch of worded Walk/Don't Walk signs.  But most don't work.  This intersection I'm familiar with, for example: https://goo.gl/maps/6zfqiuFHRf22 , only has 2 of the 16 individual heads with working light bulbs currently, both flashing 'Walk'. It takes a week or so for the city to replace a light bulb for a red light.  Walk/Don't Walk signs are way down on the priority list!

traffic light guy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 31, 2018, 12:37:54 PM
As mentioned, Trenton still has a bunch of worded Walk/Don't Walk signs.  But most don't work.  This intersection I'm familiar with, for example: https://goo.gl/maps/6zfqiuFHRf22 , only has 2 of the 16 individual heads with working light bulbs currently, both flashing 'Walk'. It takes a week or so for the city to replace a light bulb for a red light.  Walk/Don't Walk signs are way down on the priority list!

Why not change the light bulbs, it's way easier and cheaper then spending thousands of dollars on replacing the signals. Trenton doens't have just a bunch of worded pedestrian signals, they also have tons of old vehicular signals, Eagles, Marbelites, and a few Crouse-Hinds heads. Some times an occasion there would there will be a Bullseye.

traffic light guy

I think Trenton is so big of a city, that it would cost too much to do upgrades, I'm guessing the last time they had a new signal was perhaps...the early to mid 90's. Some of these intersections have middle-aged plastic McCain heads, while others have ancient aluminum Marbelite heads from the post WWII era.

traffic light guy

North Philly has plenty of interesting signals that have been left neglected and undocumented by fellow PA signal geeks:

The Eagles are nothing special, a majority of old school PennDOT installs happen to have these:

12-inch Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

This Eagle is at the next intersection, it appears to have a gunshot wound:

12-inch Eagle Flatback by thesignalman, on Flickr

Then we have some Crouse-Hinds type Ms:
12-inch Crouse-Hinds type M by thesignalman, on Flickr

One interesction with two square-door Econolite bull's eyes:

Square-Door Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

Another Square-Door Econolite Bullseye by thesignalman, on Flickr

Highway Signal & Sign Co and Mareblite heads:

12-inch Highway Signal & Sign Co. by thesignalman, on Flickr

Marbelite with a Highway Signal & Sign Co. by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds type R heads:

12-inch Crouse-Hinds type R by thesignalman, on Flickr

And a rare Type L signal that was manufactured by Marbelite:
12-inch Marbelite Type L by thesignalman, on Flickr

danthecatrafficlightfan

on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again because Life is a Highway and i want to ride it all night long. if you're going my way i want to drive it all night long.

CJResotko

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.