News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

History of Specific Service signage

Started by briantroutman, May 06, 2014, 10:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

My hometown exit was the last exit on I-20 in Louisiana (hell, probably in the entire country!  :-D ) to have the blue generic service sign:  PHONE-GAS (CAMPING was blued out after the KOA Campground pulled up stakes in the mid 80s) NEXT RIGHT.  They were removed in the mid 2000s about 15-20 years after the gas station had shut down!   :crazy:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

briantroutman

Bumping this old thread since it seemed like the most logical place to post this...

NPR's Car Talk releases periodic auto-related essays on the show's website, and the most recent entry is a lightweight history of the Interstate System.

What caught my eye was the picture below. According to its caption on the page, the photo was taken on I-89 somewhere in Vermont. All four oil company logos date it post 1963-'64, and a look at the cars suggests roughly '67-'68.

The fact that a photo was taken here with dignitaries standing at attention would seem to indicate that this sign was of particular interest–perhaps documenting a test program? If so, it's somewhat ironic that Vermont of all states would be leading the charge toward logo signage on Interstates.

Then again, perhaps it isn't so ironic if the logo signs were being offered as a less unsightly alternative to larger billboards–which the state banned around the same time.

So is this the first instance of DOT-sanctioned services logo signage in the U.S.?

machias

Quote from: vdeane on May 06, 2014, 09:12:21 PM
New York generally uses Food, Gas, and Lodging.  The Thruway uses Attractions, Camping, and Lodging, with generic food/fuel icons on another sign.

If I recall correctly, New York didn't start using logo signs, at least along I-81 in regions 9, 3 an 7, until 1983.  Before then, there was a secondary blue panel that would say "LODGING-FOOD-GAS EXIT XX" either as a standalone panel or underneath the 1 mile advance exit sign.

The order of the panels matched their text only no logo predecessor, as applicable: CAMPING, LODGING, FOOD, GAS. 

plain

Quote from: briantroutman on February 17, 2017, 06:19:59 PM
Bumping this old thread since it seemed like the most logical place to post this...

NPR's Car Talk releases periodic auto-related essays on the show's website, and the most recent entry is a lightweight history of the Interstate System.

What caught my eye was the picture below. According to its caption on the page, the photo was taken on I-89 somewhere in Vermont. All four oil company logos date it post 1963-'64, and a look at the cars suggests roughly '67-'68.

The fact that a photo was taken here with dignitaries standing at attention would seem to indicate that this sign was of particular interest–perhaps documenting a test program? If so, it's somewhat ironic that Vermont of all states would be leading the charge toward logo signage on Interstates.

Then again, perhaps it isn't so ironic if the logo signs were being offered as a less unsightly alternative to larger billboards–which the state banned around the same time.

So is this the first instance of DOT-sanctioned services logo signage in the U.S.?

Wow what a find!! It just very well might be!
Newark born, Richmond bred

thenetwork

The earliest I could remember seeing the "modern-day" Logo signage was in the summer of 1983 either in Iowa or Nebraska along I-80.  Ohio performed a "test area" along I-75 between Findlay and Lima around 1986-87 before going statewide in the late 80s/early 90s.

jwolfer

Quote from: briantroutman on May 08, 2014, 10:54:39 AM
  date=1399465177]
NJ was very late to the party...

NJ's freeway mileage is also disproportionally either tolled or urban, either of which often not signed for services, anyway. Really, the only appreciable rural Interstate mileage in the state is on I-78, I-80, and I-287 .
[/quote]

195 is rural at least by NJ standards for pretty much the whole thing. 295 away from the Cherry Hill area as well

LGMS428

TheHighwayMan3561

You can still see some generic "FOOD/GAS/LODGING" text signs in lieu of specific business signs on some of Minnesota's rural interstates. Not sure if this is because the state wanted or was required to notify motorists of services but wasn't receiving payments from the specific establishments to put up logo signs.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

briantroutman

^ I think it's still standard policy in most states to post the generic " FOOD - LODGING..."  signs if none of the business owners at a particular interchange opted to pay for logo signage.

You could cite that situation as evidence of the logo signage programs' popularity: Logo signs are so common that the sight of a "normal"  generic services sign looks like a mistake.

thenetwork

Many of the exits along I-70 in the Rockies can have any combination of the 3 styles:  All Text (Old-school), Symbols for Gas/Food/Lodging/Camping/Hospital, etc.., and the modern day service logo signs.

roadman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 19, 2017, 04:33:48 PM
You can still see some generic "FOOD/GAS/LODGING" text signs in lieu of specific business signs on some of Minnesota's rural interstates. Not sure if this is because the state wanted or was required to notify motorists of services but wasn't receiving payments from the specific establishments to put up logo signs.
MassDOT policy is, when only one service on a multi-service generic sign converts to a LOGO installation, the generic signs will remain in place until all businesses upgrade to LOGO panels.  This presumes that sufficient space exists for separate LOGO panels, or that a combined LOGO sign can be installed.  In certain cases, MassDOT also will use generic signs on the mainline and LOGO signs on the exit ramps where placement of LOGO signs on the mainline may create safety issues due to proximity of merge and weave areas (Route 24 south between I-195 and Exit 2 in Fall River is a good example of this).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

D-Dey65

Quote from: vdeane on May 06, 2014, 09:12:21 PM
New York generally uses Food, Gas, and Lodging.  The Thruway uses Attractions, Camping, and Lodging, with generic food/fuel icons on another sign.
They have these on the Long Island Expressway too.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:I-495_Exit_62N_Attraction_Sign.JPG

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2014, 11:37:21 AM
Additionally, a bit unusual for a toll road, the Atlantic City Expressway DOES use the specific service signage.  In fact, approaching Exit 41 (Cross Keys Rd/Williamstown), there are no fewer than 10 restaurants listed on 2 signs!
ACE is weird. The fact it has service plazas at all is kind of funny. It's 44 miles long and the longest distance between exits is 11 miles. As for service signage, I'm sure they make up in toll revenue what they lose in however much commission they get from the food/fuel sales. Note how there is a Gas logo sign at exit 9 ($1.50 to get off and back on), but not at exit 7 (the only place you can get off and back on without paying an additional toll)

roadman65

Quote from: bzakharin on July 25, 2018, 06:10:06 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 08, 2014, 11:37:21 AM
Additionally, a bit unusual for a toll road, the Atlantic City Expressway DOES use the specific service signage.  In fact, approaching Exit 41 (Cross Keys Rd/Williamstown), there are no fewer than 10 restaurants listed on 2 signs!
ACE is weird. The fact it has service plazas at all is kind of funny. It's 44 miles long and the longest distance between exits is 11 miles. As for service signage, I'm sure they make up in toll revenue what they lose in however much commission they get from the food/fuel sales. Note how there is a Gas logo sign at exit 9 ($1.50 to get off and back on), but not at exit 7 (the only place you can get off and back on without paying an additional toll)
Not surprising!

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.