News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Website Weekends

Started by Alps, August 17, 2009, 10:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Once in awhile, some of us get together and decide that we will pick a weekend as a Website Weekend.  Several of us hunker down, shut out the outside world, and try to catch up on a tiny piece of our backlog.  While these are by no means official and certainly less formal than a meet, sometimes those of us who are close together will get together and work side by side on our respective projects, or perhaps meet up at the same place for a break in the middle.

So, this thread is to propose and discuss Website Weekends.

Alps

And in the spirit of this thread, I hereby propose a Website Weekend this weekend!  It appears my Saturday plans are falling through and I have no major home projects distracting me... so I'll be trying to dig through a tiny piece of my backlog and get something up by the end of the weekend.  Who else wants to join me?

agentsteel53

maybe, though I just did that last weekend.  1500 new photos on the shield gallery.

next weekend may be a vector graphics weekend.  gotta make up some sign designs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

I need to CREATE a website, though when I do I'll have to get in on this.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Andy and I used to do this a lot. We found that we got a lot of work done and found the experience to be more productive and enjoyable than its usually. Flaroadgeek has teamed up with me from time to time this year to help me knock out some of my recent backlog too.

hbelkins

Sounds like fun. Wish I was closer, I'd join in ... especially next weekend when I'll be "bach-ing" it with my wife being gone.

I really want to update my West Virginia highways pages and my Kentucky exit guides, but I just can't get motivated to do so. Plus it would require a complete page rebuild and I'm just not ready to jump into that. I've actually thought about giving those pages up, free to a good home, if someone wanted to take the information I've already compiled and update or expand it, and concentrating on photos and videos.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on August 18, 2009, 01:08:02 PM
Sounds like fun. Wish I was closer, I'd join in ... especially next weekend when I'll be "bach-ing" it with my wife being gone.

I really want to update my West Virginia highways pages and my Kentucky exit guides, but I just can't get motivated to do so. Plus it would require a complete page rebuild and I'm just not ready to jump into that. I've actually thought about giving those pages up, free to a good home, if someone wanted to take the information I've already compiled and update or expand it, and concentrating on photos and videos.
I echo your sentiments H.B.  I'm not exactly going to do a two-day drive to change (or in my case, build) a website ;), but I guess taking some time out will be necessary at times. :-D
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Given the audience here, I'm not expecting Website Weekends to necessarily be all in person.  We could set up in chat here a couple times over the weekend and discuss our progress.

Dougtone

Adam Prince, C.C. Slater and I have done the website weekend a few things when I was living around Albany, NY.  Chris Jordan showed up once too.  But I found website weekends to be very productive.  Adam and I also had website evenings a few times when we lived nearby to each other, same concept as the website weekend, but for just an evening.  After Adam moved to Raleigh for the 2nd time, there was another website weekend in Albany, featuring C.C. Slater, myself, and the stylings of Smilin' John OI! O'Krakoff (John Krakoff to you, pal).  I was somewhat limited in my action that weekend since I slipped on ice and fell down a long slope of front stairs earlier that week, but I did what I could. 

Roadgeek Adam

If Dan is free, I should be able to work on the debut of the Canada Highways.com pages for NJ.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

DanTheMan414

I should be around one afternoon or the other.  Now, if Scott (Sonysnob) is around, then you'd have the whole team on board for the web weekend.  :sombrero:

SSOWorld

if the gaming clan doesn't get in the way, i will probably add another JCT list to my page
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

yanksfan6129

I'm game for this, Steve. Perhaps I will be able to actually start my website up for real.

Scott5114

Hmm. I have Friday off and C. will be out of town... Might work on my road photo gallery if that's what everyone else is doing :)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 20, 2009, 01:36:08 AM
Hmm. I have Friday off and C. will be out of town... Might work on my road photo gallery if that's what everyone else is doing :)
Who's C.? ;)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Website Weekend chat is live 24/7 on IRC.  Message me and I'll let you know where.

Dougtone

Now that the days are growing shorter and colder, I suggest we consider another website weekend in the near future.

DanTheMan414

That might be a good opportunity to start working on the first Ohio Highway Ends update in quite awhile...

agentsteel53

Quote from: dougtone on October 19, 2009, 06:47:30 AM
Now that the days are growing shorter and colder, I suggest we consider another website weekend in the near future.

heh and for me the exploring season is starting in earnest.  I for one love winter; much better scenery, and one does not randomly boil alive in the heat. 

(that said, it was 83 yesterday at 6600 feet elevation near the eastern Rockies where I live.  WTF!?)

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 19, 2009, 11:10:14 AM
Quote from: dougtone on October 19, 2009, 06:47:30 AM

heh and for me the exploring season is starting in earnest.  I for one love winter; much better scenery, and one does not randomly boil alive in the heat. 

(that said, it was 83 yesterday at 6600 feet elevation near the eastern Rockies where I live.  WTF!?)
So you don't mind randomly freezing alive? :happy:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

agentsteel53

nope; I can always throw on one more jacket.

even indoors, my ideal operating temperature is between about 55 and 60 degrees.  It got kinda cold inside the other day, so I figured I should start getting around to turn the heat on ... I glanced at the thermostat, and it was 49.

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 19, 2009, 11:52:05 AM
nope; I can always throw on one more jacket.

even indoors, my ideal operating temperature is between about 55 and 60 degrees.  It got kinda cold inside the other day, so I figured I should start getting around to turn the heat on ... I glanced at the thermostat, and it was 49.
That definitely would be a good hint :P
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Roadgeek Adam

I like 49, and I will prefer 29 or -29 depending
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

froggie

This past weekend would've been the weekend to do it, at least for the East Coasters, given the crappy weather we had (rained more or less continuously in DC from Wednesday afternoon thru Sunday morning)...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.