News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

E-ZPass for occasional use

Started by corco, April 05, 2015, 05:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

As some of you know, I'm going to be road-tripping back east here in about a month in a rental car.

I'm looking at driving a few cashless facilities like the Hudson Bridge, and obviously that's dicey in a rental car, because paying for cashless tolling access in a rental car gets to be obscenely expensive, especially since i'll have the car for about a week.

Looking online, it looks to me like I can register for an EZ-Pass o r an I-Pass from Illinois (compatible with E-Z Pass) for $10 + some prepayment that goes towards tolls.

Before I do this- is it really just a one time $10 fee for the transponder and then  prepaying a few bucks for tolls? Is it really that simple or am I missing some fine print? 

If it is this seems worthwhile- the cost will pay for itself I think on this trip alone in saved tolls, and then I'd have it for future years if I go back once a year. It just seems maybe too easy to be true.

Which state is the best for registering? I'd like for it to allow me to not use it for up to 18 months, and obviously I don't want to pay much in maintenance fees.

SteveG1988

Just get the iPass from IL. it has no monthly fee, so you can just preload tolls on it and use it for whenever.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Brandon

I-Pass is a $10 deposit (refundable) and a minimum of $20 in preloaded tolls.  As Steve said, there is no monthly fee.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Make sure you register the vehicle you're using per their policy.  (I have my car on it, and if I had to use company cars on the toll road - I'll have to register them as well)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

corco

Yeah, I'll do that for sure.

It's looking like Massachusetts might be the best state to register in (with Illinois as a close second)- no up front cost, no inactivity limits, and no maintenance fees as far as I can tell. You have to put $20 up front for tolls, but I'll hit more than that on the trip, in all likelihood. I anticipate going into E-Z Pass or I-Pass territory at least once a year for the next couple years- probably even twice this year, so it's worth the trouble.

oscar

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 05, 2015, 10:12:36 PM
Make sure you register the vehicle you're using per their policy.  (I have my car on it, and if I had to use company cars on the toll road - I'll have to register them as well)

And, perhaps more important, promptly de-register rental and other vehicles you're no longer using, so that future renters/owners/etc. can't run up a tab on your account.

BTW, Virginia E-ZPass is not an option for you (but works fine for me). No monthly fee, but you have to use it occasionally on Virginia toll roads. Not sure they'll even issue to a Montana resident, but they definitely try to prevent issuance to residents of other E-ZPass states.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: corco on April 05, 2015, 10:26:13 PM

It's looking like Massachusetts might be the best state to register in (with Illinois as a close second)- no up front cost, no inactivity limits, and no maintenance fees as far as I can tell. You have to put $20 up front for tolls, but I'll hit more than that on the trip, in all likelihood. I anticipate going into E-Z Pass or I-Pass territory at least once a year for the next couple years- probably even twice this year, so it's worth the trouble.

Yup.  I live in CT, a no tolls (for now) state, and I have a MA EZ Pass. No fee for the device, haven't used it since last June and been charged an inactivity fee.  Just have to give a credit/debit card to replenish at $10.  Just wish I could get the EZ Pass rate at NYC bridges.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

corco

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 05, 2015, 11:49:57 PM
Quote from: corco on April 05, 2015, 10:26:13 PM

Yup.  I live in CT, a no tolls (for now) state, and I have a MA EZ Pass. No fee for the device, haven't used it since last June and been charged an inactivity fee.  Just have to give a credit/debit card to replenish at $10.  Just wish I could get the EZ Pass rate at NYC bridges.

Oh, so you can't get the EZ Pass rate on NYC bridges unless you have an NY EZ Pass? That's a bummer. Looks like NY has a monthly fee though, so Mass is probably the way to go.

vdeane

Only the Port Authority has that fee... which doesn't really help you, since NY gives everyone from out of state a Port Authority tag.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Something else to look at is how long it takes the transponder to actually be usable after you've registered it. I know that with the I-Pass, it's about 45 minutes, but other agencies might be less or more. This sort of thing can be important with rental cars since you probably won't know the plate number until you see the car.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Duke87

Quote from: corco on April 06, 2015, 12:09:41 AM
Oh, so you can't get the EZ Pass rate on NYC bridges unless you have an NY EZ Pass? That's a bummer. Looks like NY has a monthly fee though, so Mass is probably the way to go.

MTA bridges only give their discount to NY issued tags. Here in NYC we love hosing tourists. ;-)

New York has consolidated their issuance of EZpass tags into one central system. If you have a downstate New York address, they sign you up with the MTA. If you have an upstate New York address, they sign you up with NYSTA. If you have an out of state address, they sign you up with the Port Authority and stick you with the monthly fee by doing so. Again, hosing tourists.

There is a way around this, though: the MTA still sells EZpass tags in cash lanes at their toll plazas. So, next time you're in NYC, pay cash to cross a bridge and buy an EZpass tag when you do. Since this is an MTA tag it will have no monthly fee, regardless of what address you register it with. Downside is you cannot do this from home, you have to physically travel to New York City. If you are coming here it is worth it, though, since NY MTA has the worst transponder discrimination of any agency.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mrsman

Quote from: Duke87 on April 07, 2015, 12:03:02 AM
Quote from: corco on April 06, 2015, 12:09:41 AM

MTA bridges only give their discount to NY issued tags. Here in NYC we love hosing tourists. ;-)

New York has consolidated their issuance of EZpass tags into one central system. If you have a downstate New York address, they sign you up with the MTA. If you have an upstate New York address, they sign you up with NYSTA. If you have an out of state address, they sign you up with the Port Authority and stick you with the monthly fee by doing so. Again, hosing tourists.

There is a way around this, though: the MTA still sells EZpass tags in cash lanes at their toll plazas. So, next time you're in NYC, pay cash to cross a bridge and buy an EZpass tag when you do. Since this is an MTA tag it will have no monthly fee, regardless of what address you register it with. Downside is you cannot do this from home, you have to physically travel to New York City. If you are coming here it is worth it, though, since NY MTA has the worst transponder discrimination of any agency.

I used to live in Queens before moving to the DC area.  Then, I never made a toll crossing, but now that I'm in the DC area, I cross several toll crossings to visit family in NYC.  I never even had an EZ Pass when I lived in Queens.

My first EZ-Pass was issued by Maryland.  Then, Maryland did not charge the monthly fee and it worked fine for me. As soon as they started charging, I dropped Maryland and investigated getting a NY E-Z Pass.  I was already living several years in Maryland by this time.

On one of my trips to NYC, I went to the EZ Pass Service Center in Whitestone, Queens and when the lady asked me for my ZIP code, I gave her my old ZIP code in Queens.  Once I got the device, I was able to register it with my out of  state address and avoid the monthly fees.

Perhaps they've caught on to this and the only way to get an MTA pass is via toll-booth as Duke suggested.

In any event, I wonder what will happen  when the batteries run out.  Will they give me a new MTA EZ-Pass or will they look over my account and issue me a Port Authority EZ Pass, since I do live out of the service area.  But even to this day, I use the Port Authority crossings much more than any of the local toll facilities like the ICC or the Northern Virginia toll lanes.

Duke87

My parents have had new tags issued and kept them with the MTA despite living in Connecticut. So no, they're not going to change you over to Port Authority when they see your address.

As for going to the service center, that might also work but I've never been in there so I don't know. If they ask for your ZIP code, you could always just lie and name whatever random ZIP code from the within city you want.

davewiecking

I think it's pretty standard for in-state E-Z passes to give discounts on some toll facilities that are in that state. MD does (but not for the ICC).

6a

Do you have to be physically in a state to get a transponder or can one be ordered through the mail? My wife travels extensively for her job, currently in Philadelphia, so every trip home means a trek across a good portion of the PA turnpike. That said, there are some times with long stretches at home where the EZ Pass wouldn't be used for months, making a fee kinda crappy. I'll advise her to get one from MA or IL if you can just order one.

Duke87

You can just order one online. They'll mail it to any US address.

The issue under discussion here is that you need a NY EZpass to get MTA discounts, but in order to get a NY EZpass that doesn't carry a monthly fee you either need to have a NY address or purchase the tag in NY in person. If your wife isn't traveling to NYC then that is irrelevant.

CtrlAltDel

The Illinois I-Pass can be ordered online, or by mail, if that's what you prefer. They ship anywhere in the US, as far as I'm aware.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

6a

Quote from: Duke87 on April 12, 2015, 10:58:17 PM
You can just order one online. They'll mail it to any US address.

The issue under discussion here is that you need a NY EZpass to get MTA discounts, but in order to get a NY EZpass that doesn't carry a monthly fee you either need to have a NY address or purchase the tag in NY in person. If your wife isn't traveling to NYC then that is irrelevant.

According to the thread title and the first post the issue under discussion is the best place to purchase one for occasional use, so I thank you and others for that information.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.