News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 23, 2019, 05:27:11 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 23, 2019, 05:24:33 PM
(NCDOT's still calling it, despite its decommissioning) Business 85

I'm detecting a pattern here with old designations in NCDOT's public materials and press releases...

It also doesn't help when local media and Google Maps hang onto the old designations too. For example, the newspaper in Goldsboro still often refers to US-117 between Goldsboro and Wilson as US-117 Alternate, despite the fact that "˜Alternate' was decommissioned in 2009, not long after I-795 took over the nearby freeway.

Hell, Google Maps has it labeled as both US-117 and US-117 Alternate. :banghead:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadsguy

Quote from: LM117 on February 23, 2019, 08:35:17 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on February 23, 2019, 05:27:11 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 23, 2019, 05:24:33 PM
(NCDOT's still calling it, despite its decommissioning) Business 85

I'm detecting a pattern here with old designations in NCDOT's public materials and press releases...

It also doesn't help when local media and Google Maps hang onto the old designations too. For example, the newspaper in Goldsboro still often refers to US-117 between Goldsboro and Wilson as US-117 Alternate, despite the fact that "˜Alternate' was decommissioned in 2009, not long after I-795 took over the nearby freeway.

Hell, Google Maps has it labeled as both US-117 and US-117 Alternate. :banghead:

Don't some locals refer to NY 7 between I-87 and Troy as Alternate 7 (or similar) for basically the same reason?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vdeane

It's been NY 7 as long as the freeway was open.  The name basically started as a way to differentiate the freeway portion from the rest of NY 7, based on the fact that the nearby part of NY 2 was former NY 7.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bob7374

NCDOT contractors are finally completing the new signage for now I-73/I-840 on the Greensboro Loop between I-40 and Bryan Blvd. Here's one of the latest, a replacement for the former Future South 73/West 840 reassurance marker sign heading toward I-40, courtesy of Strider:

GreenLanternCorps

The Google Van took a drive on the new section of I-73, all the way to the Northern terminus at Newnam Road:

This is the End I-73 sign:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2898734,-79.9397147,3a,75y,357.66h,82.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSLKCECKtUTY0JtEaJyN9JQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is no "Begin I-73" sign on the southbound lanes, but there is this mile marker:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2895923,-79.9401792,3a,89.9y,212.37h,75.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8l2daKWL16D5V0JKfihtGg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

sprjus4

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on March 11, 2019, 01:08:36 PM
The Google Van took a drive on the new section of I-73, all the way to the Northern terminus at Newnam Road:

This is the End I-73 sign:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2898734,-79.9397147,3a,75y,357.66h,82.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSLKCECKtUTY0JtEaJyN9JQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is no "Begin I-73" sign on the southbound lanes, but there is this mile marker:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2895923,-79.9401792,3a,89.9y,212.37h,75.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8l2daKWL16D5V0JKfihtGg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Some very poor imagery (blurry, dark, etc) on the upgraded U.S. 220 section, though the new location segment is nice.

I've got one question. The speed limit is still 60 MPH in the imagery for the upgraded segment. Has this been since raised to 65 MPH, or is it seriously staying 60 MPH? I drove this stretch last year, and 60 MPH is  :sleep: The flow of traffic was about 70-75 MPH, and a 65 MPH speed limit (or 70 MPH once I-73 is continuous to Virginia, oh who am I kidding  :-D) is appropriate, also the design speed accommodates it. It's a freeway, it's straight, and not to mention the new location I-73, built to same exact design, is posted at 65 MPH.

LM117

Meanwhile, on the Future I-74 side of things...

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-03-11-us-74-delays-robeson-county-bridge-work.aspx

QuoteDrivers on U.S. 74 in Robeson County may encounter temporary roadblocks Tuesday night and Wednesday night when bridge girders are set for a new interchange.

An N.C. Department of Transportation contractor is converting the Broadridge Road intersection with U.S. 74 south of Lumberton into a grade-separated overpass with on and off ramps to improve safety and traffic flow.

The contractor needs to haul in and set a total of eight concrete-reinforced girders for the Broadridge Road bridge that will go over U.S. 74. Four will be set over the westbound lanes between 9 p.m. Tuesday and 6 the next morning. During that time, state Highway Patrol troopers will direct temporary roadblocks, lasting up to 30 minutes per girder.

The troopers and contractors will do the same procedure for the eastbound lanes on Wednesday night at the same time for the remaining four girders. There will be no detours for the roadblocks.

Work began in the fall of 2017. The new interchange is scheduled to open this fall.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on March 11, 2019, 08:06:41 PM

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-03-11-us-74-delays-robeson-county-bridge-work.aspx

QuoteDrivers on U.S. 74 in Robeson County may encounter temporary roadblocks Tuesday night and Wednesday night when bridge girders are set for a new interchange.

An N.C. Department of Transportation contractor is converting the Broadridge Road intersection with U.S. 74 south of Lumberton into a grade-separated overpass with on and off ramps to improve safety and traffic flow.

The contractor needs to haul in and set a total of eight concrete-reinforced girders for the Broadridge Road bridge that will go over U.S. 74. Four will be set over the westbound lanes between 9 p.m. Tuesday and 6 the next morning. During that time, state Highway Patrol troopers will direct temporary roadblocks, lasting up to 30 minutes per girder.

The troopers and contractors will do the same procedure for the eastbound lanes on Wednesday night at the same time for the remaining four girders. There will be no detours for the roadblocks.

Work began in the fall of 2017. The new interchange is scheduled to open this fall.
That stretch is looking almost complete. With interchanges / overpasses at Broadridge Rd, NC 130 / 72, Old Boardman Rd, Hallsboro Rd, Chauncey Town Rd, and Old Lake Rd either under construction or programmed in the next two or three years, it will essentially finish it. After those projects are completed, an overpass at Creek Rd and a 1 mile frontage road to serve the few driveways between NC 130 and Old Boardman Rd is all that will be needed, and I'm sure those projects will roll out in the next year or so to go along with all the other ones, if they haven't already.

Once those wrap up, and the frontage road & final overpass is constructed, 80 miles of 70 MPH freeway will exist between Laurinburg and Bolton will exist.

The only other projects remaining for I-74 after this is completing the 10 mile gap between Laurinburg and Hamlet, completing the 20 mile gap from Leland (the Wilmington area) and Bolton, then a $100+ million project (it's gonna be expensive) to refurbish all of the 100+ miles of freeway from Rockingham to Wilmington to interstate standards, widening & reconstructing shoulders on the older sections, possibly a few bridge replacements, then once that's done, I-74 will be completed in its entirety from Virginia to Wilmington.

Now to get fictional - Decommission I-74, complete the interstate upgrade to I-26 near Asheville (another $500 million or more) and give a new 2D between I-26 and Wilmington.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-03-13-i-73-greensboro-bridge-closure.aspx

QuoteAn all-lanes closure begins this weekend for a section of southbound Interstate 73 where a fuel tanker crash damaged a bridge in southwest Greensboro in December.

The bridge and span of I-73 South where it passes over I-85 are expected to close Saturday at 7 a.m. and reopen Friday, April 19.

Southbound I-73 traffic will be detoured to take Exit 97A for Business 85 North and then Exit 35A for U.S. 220 South. Drivers can also take I-40 East directly to U.S. 220 South at Exit 218A.

The closure is necessary for the contractor to safely lift the south end of the bridge to replace the bearings, remove and replace the end diaphragms and modular joint, and restore the damaged deck and concrete barrier wall.

Flatiron Constructors, contracted by the N.C. Department of Transportation, is repairing the bridge on an accelerated schedule at a cost of $3.9 million. Full project completion is anticipated by Friday, May 10. However, the repair work is weather dependent. NCDOT will provide updates on any significant events affecting traffic as the repair progresses.

Drivers should slow down near the work zone and pay close attention to signed detour instructions.

For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov​ or follow NCDOT on social media.

ad516

Has this been posted yet regarding the Carolina Bays Parkway? It's supposed to open in April. https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article226095790.html

Henry

Quote from: ad516 on March 20, 2019, 09:27:05 AM
Has this been posted yet regarding the Carolina Bays Parkway? It's supposed to open in April. https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article226095790.html
I think this would work better as a spur off I-73 or I-74, with I-74 going to Wilmington instead.

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 11, 2019, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: LM117 on March 11, 2019, 08:06:41 PM

That stretch is looking almost complete. With interchanges / overpasses at Broadridge Rd, NC 130 / 72, Old Boardman Rd, Hallsboro Rd, Chauncey Town Rd, and Old Lake Rd either under construction or programmed in the next two or three years, it will essentially finish it. After those projects are completed, an overpass at Creek Rd and a 1 mile frontage road to serve the few driveways between NC 130 and Old Boardman Rd is all that will be needed, and I'm sure those projects will roll out in the next year or so to go along with all the other ones, if they haven't already.

Once those wrap up, and the frontage road & final overpass is constructed, 80 miles of 70 MPH freeway will exist between Laurinburg and Bolton will exist.

The only other projects remaining for I-74 after this is completing the 10 mile gap between Laurinburg and Hamlet, completing the 20 mile gap from Leland (the Wilmington area) and Bolton, then a $100+ million project (it's gonna be expensive) to refurbish all of the 100+ miles of freeway from Rockingham to Wilmington to interstate standards, widening & reconstructing shoulders on the older sections, possibly a few bridge replacements, then once that's done, I-74 will be completed in its entirety from Virginia to Wilmington.

Now to get fictional - Decommission I-74, complete the interstate upgrade to I-26 near Asheville (another $500 million or more) and give a new 2D between I-26 and Wilmington.
28, 32, 34, 36 and 38 are in play. Out of all the numbers, 36 seems to be the most popular choice.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
36 would seem to be the more logical choice for NCDOT, as there is no state highway with that number in the current roster.  34 would likely be the next choice, as that route is tucked away in the northeast corner of the state near Elizabeth City.  But 38 might work as well, as that MSR, shared with SC, is slated to be subsumed by the southern extension of I-73 in the future -- even though it does intersect the US 74/current I-74 corridor near Hamlet. 

LM117

OracleUsr

Maybe it'll be finished before I'm too old to drive.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

bob7374

Lane closures through next week on Business 40 (Future US 421/Salem Parkway) for paving around the Future I-74/Winston-Salem Northern Beltway interchange, which the press release says is expected by the end of the year:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-04-17-business-40-lane-closures.aspx

roadman65

So basically the missing links for I-74 are the US 52 freeway from Mount Airy to Greensboro?  Then the part from Candor to Rockingham as well as the part from Hamlet to Laurinburg, and east of I-95 into SC as well as upgrades to SC 22?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on April 23, 2019, 10:11:37 PM
So basically the missing links for I-74 are the US 52 freeway from Mount Airy to Greensboro?  Then the part from Candor to Rockingham as well as the part from Hamlet to Laurinburg, and east of I-95 into SC as well as upgrades to SC 22?

This conflates I-73 and I-74...

For I-74 the missing parts are the US 52 freeway upgrades from Mt Airy to Winston-Salem; Winston-Salem Beltway; northwestern part of Rockingham Bypass; Hamlet to Laurinburg; upgrades to US 74 in some spots east of I-95 to NC 211; new freeway paralleling NC 211 south to US 17; new freeway to connect to SC 31

Roadsguy

Just over a year late, Google Maps finally shows I-73 on Section 2 in NC (concurrent with US 220 north of Greensboro), albeit still not as a freeway.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

FightingIrish

Has North Carolina figured out what they want to do with I-74 yet? Running it straight to Wilmington makes the most sense, but I've seen weird plans where they want it to take an abrupt right turn into swampland and run it down to Myrtle Beach to intersect with I-73 once again. They should stick with the Wilmington route (along US 74, which is another story), because it's just so obvious, and run I-140 down the Carolina Bays Parkway.

Nonetheless, I think it's ridiculous for politicians to lobby for an Interstate highway when nobody knows what to do with it, or how to build it, or even if it's necessary. Interstates 3 and 14 in Georgia come to mind.

LM117

Quote from: FightingIrish on April 25, 2019, 10:07:43 AM
Has North Carolina figured out what they want to do with I-74 yet? Running it straight to Wilmington makes the most sense, but I've seen weird plans where they want it to take an abrupt right turn into swampland and run it down to Myrtle Beach to intersect with I-73 once again. They should stick with the Wilmington route (along US 74, which is another story), because it's just so obvious, and run I-140 down the Carolina Bays Parkway.

Running I-74 to Myrtle Beach was mandated by Congress, in their "infinite wisdom" . :banghead:

If NC had it's way, I-74 would definitely go to Wilmington, as it should.

Roadsguy

Quote from: LM117 on April 25, 2019, 10:14:30 AM

Running I-74 to Myrtle Beach was mandated by Congress, in their "infinite wisdom" . :banghead:

If NC had it's way, I-74 would definitely go to Wilmington, as it should.

Which almost makes me wonder if NC will inexplicably lose all ambition for completing I-74 once they get it to Whiteville, except for the Carolina Bays Parkway extension (nowhere referred to as Future I-74 on their project page).

Henry

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 25, 2019, 11:12:44 AM
Quote from: LM117 on April 25, 2019, 10:14:30 AM

Running I-74 to Myrtle Beach was mandated by Congress, in their “infinite wisdom”. :banghead:

If NC had it’s way, I-74 would definitely go to Wilmington, as it should.

Which almost makes me wonder if NC will inexplicably lose all ambition for completing I-74 once they get it to Whiteville, except for the Carolina Bays Parkway extension (nowhere referred to as Future I-74 on their project page).
Since SC will not extend I-20 past Florence, ending I-74 in Wilmington would be the second best thing. The Carolina Bays Parkway can then become an I-x73 or I-x74 spur, but that's going fictional. It's basically a wait-and-see situation here.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I think if Interstate 74 ended in Wilmington, the Carolina Bays Parkway should permanently remain State Highway 31. I see no need to change the number of the CBP, such as to a 3di Interstate designation, if this is what happens.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
My own predictions for that area are:
    (1)  I-74 will be completed east to Bolton, where the veer SE along NC 211 occurs.
    (2)  US 74/76 will be upgraded to a freeway east of Bolton to I-140; it'll get a x74 as
          a "placeholder" until the original authorizing legislation can be altered
    (3)  US 17 south to the SC state line (where it'll segue onto NC 31) will be a I-140
          extension for the interim; whether SC continues that down SC 31 is yet TBD
          (i.e., will they defy the original legislation or also request a change).  But it'll
          probably simply remain SC 31 at least until something concrete happens
          regarding I-73 along its SC 22 coexistence. 
    (4)  The "swamp thing" segment along NC 211 will be placed on indefinite hold.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on April 25, 2019, 04:19:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^
My own predictions for that area are:
    (1)  I-74 will be completed east to Bolton, where the veer SE along NC 211 occurs.
    (2)  US 74/76 will be upgraded to a freeway east of Bolton to I-140; it'll get a x74 as
          a "placeholder" until the original authorizing legislation can be altered
    (3)  US 17 south to the SC state line (where it'll segue onto NC 31) will be a I-140
          extension for the interim; whether SC continues that down SC 31 is yet TBD
          (i.e., will they defy the original legislation or also request a change).  But it'll
          probably simply remain SC 31 at least until something concrete happens
          regarding I-73 along its SC 22 coexistence. 
    (4)  The "swamp thing" segment along NC 211 will be placed on indefinite hold.
I agree with all of this, although I don't see (3) (extension of I-140 to SC 31) happening anytime soon. (1) is happening now, no question. Business interests in Wilmington are already talking up the need for (2). With respect to (4), NCDOT doesn't want to build through the Green Swamp and there are legions of environmentalists ready to oppose it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.