News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: akotchi on June 16, 2018, 11:28:42 AM
Not quite sure where to post this, but this seemed to be the best place . . .

On a trip to Seattle last month, I found this sign at the exit of one of the ferry terminals -- Bainbridge, I think.  How old is this sign, and what does the TEMP refer to?  Old enough to pre-date the completion of I-90 across Lake Washington?  If so, what was the "I-90 TEMP" route?

Wasn't I-90 supposed to reach the Alaska Way Viaduct?

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2018, 12:22:59 PM
Quote from: akotchi on June 16, 2018, 11:28:42 AM
Not quite sure where to post this, but this seemed to be the best place . . .

On a trip to Seattle last month, I found this sign at the exit of one of the ferry terminals -- Bainbridge, I think.  How old is this sign, and what does the TEMP refer to?  Old enough to pre-date the completion of I-90 across Lake Washington?  If so, what was the "I-90 TEMP" route?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/880/27967009227_4e6a7df00d_b.jpg

Wasn't I-90 supposed to reach the Alaska Way Viaduct?

Yes, this was the original plan. The demolished section of the viaduct had several ramp stubs where the connection would have occurred. You can see them on Historic Aerials: https://goo.gl/8U7ddz

That said, I believe the TEMP I-90 sign refers to the routing of I-90 before it was completed to I-5. It ended at Rainier Ave (and another since-demolished road) until the early 90s. Traffic accessed the Mount Baker Tunnels and the Lacey V Murrow Bridge via Dearborn, via what I believe was TEMP I-90 (old maps show an I-90 route shield along Dearborn). I don't believe this temp route reached all the way to Alaskan Way, but signs from Alaskan Way to this temporary route were labelled "TO TEMP I-90". Someone with more info should double check this, because I'm not 100% sure. I do know that TEMP 90 hasn't been a thing for quite a while, and that this sign is extremely old.

The old I-90/Rainier Ave interchange is also on Historic Aerials: https://goo.gl/xcqKhL

kkt

The "temp" refered to the incomplete I-90 from before the I-90 to I-5 interchange was built.  I-90 was first built up to 4th Avenue South, but the interchange with I-5 was delayed for decades while its size, takings, and cost of the interchange and downtown exits were debated in legislature and the courts.  Temp I-90 was signed along city streets to reach I-5.  The interchange with I-5 was finally completed about 1990.

Bruce

The route of Temp I-90 ran from the Rainier Avenue interchange along the current I-90 lanes around part of Beacon Hill (but as an undivided 4-lane road). It then veered west onto Dearborn Street and crossed under I-5.

For decades, the ramps to I-5 were built but unconnected, and nicknamed the "ramps to nowhere".

This image shows some of the ramps at Rainier:

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on June 16, 2018, 04:15:02 PM

Sweet photo Bruce! I know you didn't take it, but I sure haven't seen it before. I've seen that weird junction on Historic Aerials a million times, but never a true photo.

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on June 16, 2018, 04:15:02 PM
The route of Temp I-90 ran from the Rainier Avenue interchange along the current I-90 lanes around part of Beacon Hill (but as an undivided 4-lane road). It then veered west onto Dearborn Street and crossed under I-5.

For decades, the ramps to I-5 were built but unconnected, and nicknamed the "ramps to nowhere".

Great info and pictures!  Thanks Bruce!

Bruce

I'm actually in the middle of rewriting the I-90 entry on Wikipedia, so I had the information handy. Our highway history is rather poorly documented, so I've been scrounging around various sources looking for opening dates for freeway segments and other information beyond legislative actions. If anyone has a suggestion of where to look, I'm all ears.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on June 16, 2018, 08:12:12 PM
I'm actually in the middle of rewriting the I-90 entry on Wikipedia, so I had the information handy. Our highway history is rather poorly documented, so I've been scrounging around various sources looking for opening dates for freeway segments and other information beyond legislative actions. If anyone has a suggestion of where to look, I'm all ears.

Incidentally someone on Wikipedia actually did really good job with the state highways.  I noticed that a lot of the articles lined up with the correct Primary and Secondary state highway numbers when I was doing my run WA Routes last month.  Almost everything was lining up with the map research I did and with information I received on this board. 

Bruce

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2018, 08:21:48 PM

Incidentally someone on Wikipedia actually did really good job with the state highways.  I noticed that a lot of the articles lined up with the correct Primary and Secondary state highway numbers when I was doing my run WA Routes last month.  Almost everything was lining up with the map research I did and with information I received on this board. 

I wrote many of the Washington entries years ago, and have been slowly rewriting them using new knowledge (thanks in part to plentiful newspaper archives that I now can access from home). Same goes for Seattle's transit articles.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on June 16, 2018, 08:24:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2018, 08:21:48 PM

I wrote many of the Washington entries years ago, and have been slowly rewriting them using new knowledge (thanks in part to plentiful newspaper archives that I now can access from home). Same goes for Seattle's transit articles.

Figured you probably had a hand in them once you mentioned updating I-90.  I've found on the whole the site is getting better for historical highway information but it's still best cross-reference other sources.  I with the California stuff I've gotten lucky that sites like cahighways exist along with a huge amount of easy to access map scans on David Rumsey. 

kkt

You've probably thought of this already, but I'd narrow down the dates using historical topographic maps, and then newspapers from the period.  Only the biggest papers will be online, like the Seattle Times and PI, but there are printed indexes to a lot of smaller town papers that may just be on microfilm at big libraries.

Bruce

Quote from: kkt on June 17, 2018, 01:22:12 AM

You've probably thought of this already, but I'd narrow down the dates using historical topographic maps, and then newspapers from the period.  Only the biggest papers will be online, like the Seattle Times and PI, but there are printed indexes to a lot of smaller town papers that may just be on microfilm at big libraries.

That's my exact workflow, for the most part. The Suzzallo Library at UW has the best collection of statewide newspapers on microfilm from what I've seen...even small journals like Ritzville and Okanogan are represented.

And speaking of Ritzville, I just found out that the town put up a few Historic US 10 shields and had their state senator (the Republican leader) fund 14 more.

There's a pair of shields at 1st Avenue and Jackson Street, then one further south near Weber Road.

Bruce

My current research roadblock is to figure out when exactly US 10's two alternate routes were approved and signed. Anyone know the dates for these events?

From what I've seen on various sites, US 10 Alt (Seattle-Issaquah, via current SR 900) was signed after the floating bridge opened in 1940 and was removed sometime in the 1950s.

And there's also the other US 10 Alt, which was signed after US 10 was shifted south from Wenatchee to Vantage and the current I-90 corridor (don't have an exact date for this either). US 2 was extended across it in 1946, but apparently it was concurrent for a short while before US 10 Alt disappeared entirely.

thefraze_1020

A great resource for Washington's road history (particularly freeway openings) is WSDOT's Library Digital Collections.

I highly recommend checking the opening day materials section.

https://cdm16977.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Bruce

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on June 17, 2018, 10:34:32 PM
A great resource for Washington's road history (particularly freeway openings) is WSDOT's Library Digital Collections.

I highly recommend checking the opening day materials section.

https://cdm16977.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/

I can't believe I haven't seen this before. Thanks!

thefraze_1020

Quote from: Bruce on June 17, 2018, 01:29:49 AM
Quote from: kkt on June 17, 2018, 01:22:12 AM

That's my exact workflow, for the most part. The Suzzallo Library at UW has the best collection of statewide newspapers on microfilm from what I've seen...even small journals like Ritzville and Okanogan are represented.

And speaking of Ritzville, I just found out that the town put up a few Historic US 10 shields and had their state senator (the Republican leader) fund 14 more.

There's a pair of shields at 1st Avenue and Jackson Street, then one further south near Weber Road.

You betcha! Also, speaking of historic US 10 shields, when I was on vacation around Washington last month, I noticed that Grant County put up two shields on the old highway in Frenchman Coulee.

IMG_8758 by Cameron Frazer, on Flickr

IMG_8766 by Cameron Frazer, on Flickr

jakeroot

From WSDOT Flickr...

The SR-20/Sharpes Corner roundabouts are coming along nicely. The Gibraltar Road roundabout is finished and opened, with final markings installed. The primary two-lane roundabout to the north is still under construction, though it's mostly operational. Impressively quick construction; amazing how fast stuff gets done with good weather:

thefraze_1020

Yes and I am thankful it has been progressing so quickly. I work for the city of Anacortes, so I and my co-workers have to navigate this bottleneck almost daily.

Bruce

After a few days of intensive research, I've managed to come up with opening dates for almost all of I-90. Here's a west-to-east list:

I-5 to I-405 via Mercer Island: Technically September 25, 1993, after the re-opening of the eastbound floating bridge; the rest was completed much earlier in 1992

North Bend bypass: October 13, 1978, eliminating the last traffic light between Bellevue and Spokane

North Bend to Denny Creek: October 1959

Denny Creek Viaduct: July 1981, replacing the earlier US 10 alignment on the east side of the valley

Snoqualmie Pass to Easton: October 1959

Easton to Cle Elum: September 30, 1964

Cle Elum to Ellensburg: August 8, 1967

Ellensburg to Vantage: November 20, 1968 (part of I-82's opening)

George to Moses Lake: 1958 (need a more specific date here, though)

Tokio to Fishtrap: November 22, 1968

Fishtrap to Four Lakes: November 18, 1966

Four Lakes to Maple Street (Spokane): December 7, 1965

Maple Street to Pine Street: September 25, 1969

Pine Street to Helena Street: 1971 (again, a more specific date)

Havana Street to Pines Road (SR 27): November 16, 1956, the first segment to open

Pines Road to Greenacres: November 19, 1957

Greenacers to Seaton: October 23, 1964

Seaton to Idaho: July 28, 1977 (after opening of Idaho's Spokane River Bridges)

Just three missing segments, which I hope someone can point out for me:

Factoria/Bellevue to Issaquah

Vantage Bridge to George (SR 281/283) seems to have been built sometime between 1961 and 1967

Moses Lake to Ritzville, sometime after 1967/1968, but finished in time for Expo '74

Helena to Havana Street in Spokane

thefraze_1020

If it helps, I contacted Adams County regarding the bridges on the old highway between Schrag and Ritzville. They sent me documents stating that the ownership transfer from the state to the county occurred in 1973. That indicates to me that I-90 was opened there in late 72 or early 73.

Bruce

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on June 23, 2018, 12:29:00 PM
If it helps, I contacted Adams County regarding the bridges on the old highway between Schrag and Ritzville. They sent me documents stating that the ownership transfer from the state to the county occurred in 1973. That indicates to me that I-90 was opened there in late 72 or early 73.

That helps a lot. I was able to pull up a short Times blurb dated to August 28, 1973:

Bruce

The new Sharpes Corner roundabout on SR 20 is open, and includes signage for U.S. Bike Route 10 and Skagit County's numbered bike routes.

June 15 through June 22 work by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr

June 15 through June 22 work by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr

jakeroot

That bike route sign reminds me. I saw a Kitsap county bike route shield, with a county cutout for the shield:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on June 24, 2018, 08:59:38 PM
That bike route sign reminds me. I saw a Kitsap county bike route shield, with a county cutout for the shield:

Isn't that the one on Silverdale Way and Newberry Hill Road?

Bruce

This appears to be the numbered map (with only 20 to 70): https://www.kitsapgov.com/pw/Documents/Bike_Route_2004.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.