News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

Quote from: LM117 on July 07, 2016, 10:34:04 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 09:46:48 PM
Wow, that was a huge file, it took 5 minutes at broadband speeds to download, lol.

OK, I'll cut to the chase, here is the section labeled "reccomendations" in it's entirety:

QuoteVII. Recommendations CORRIDORS A, B, & C: It was found that the four-lane divided freeway (Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 — Option A, 6, and 7) and the four-lane divided expressway (Section 5 — Option B) would be able to accommodate the projected 2030 design year traffic volumes with an acceptable level of service. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the whole freeway ranges from $372,400,000 to $390,100,000. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the freeway/expressway combination ranges from $272,300,000 to $290,000,000.

Damn, I knew it was a big file but I didn't think it would take 5 minutes to download. Oops! :-D

Anyway, thanks for the briefing. Steep price tags aside, it might be likely that NCDOT will go for the "whole freeway" route now that I-42 is a factor.

I'm with ya' there, I think they probably will.

After speed reading through the whole document, I think I now understand why its being out off until very last. I can see a HUGE pissing contest brewing between NCDOT and the environuts over this one. There are approximately 10 different endangered species of animals and plants that reside in the area, not to mention all the natural water runoff areas in northern Carteret County-not to mention the US Forest Service, too.

The only reason (IMO) that the Craven County sections of all of this is going ahead is because for the most part, the roadway already exists thanks to MCAS Cherry Point needing improved access over the years, and even the largest portion of the Havelock Bypass will go through land that was already somewhat inhabited by humans. The USFS was willing to work with NCDOT with the rest of the land needed to complete the bypass since it is such a small sliver. I'm not so sure that's going to be the case with an entirely facility down in Carteret County.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 10:51:16 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 07, 2016, 10:34:04 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 09:46:48 PM
Wow, that was a huge file, it took 5 minutes at broadband speeds to download, lol.

OK, I'll cut to the chase, here is the section labeled "reccomendations" in it's entirety:

QuoteVII. Recommendations CORRIDORS A, B, & C: It was found that the four-lane divided freeway (Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 — Option A, 6, and 7) and the four-lane divided expressway (Section 5 — Option B) would be able to accommodate the projected 2030 design year traffic volumes with an acceptable level of service. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the whole freeway ranges from $372,400,000 to $390,100,000. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the freeway/expressway combination ranges from $272,300,000 to $290,000,000.

Damn, I knew it was a big file but I didn't think it would take 5 minutes to download. Oops! :-D

Anyway, thanks for the briefing. Steep price tags aside, it might be likely that NCDOT will go for the "whole freeway" route now that I-42 is a factor.

I'm with ya' there, I think they probably will.

After speed reading through the whole document, I think I now understand why its being out off until very last. I can see a HUGE pissing contest brewing between NCDOT and the environuts over this one. There are approximately 10 different endangered species of animals and plants that reside in the area, not to mention all the natural water runoff areas in northern Carteret County-not to mention the US Forest Service, too.

The only reason (IMO) that the Craven County sections of all of this is going ahead is because for the most part, the roadway already exists thanks to MCAS Cherry Point needing improved access over the years, and even the largest portion of the Havelock Bypass will go through land that was already somewhat inhabited by humans. The USFS was willing to work with NCDOT with the rest of the land needed to complete the bypass since it is such a small sliver. I'm not so sure that's going to be the case with an entirely facility down in Carteret County.

Agreed. The N.C. Bypass will likely get stonewalled to death until the end, similar to the Bonner Bridge battle. I can see why NCDOT removed it from the US-70 Corridor map, since they probably don't want to draw much attention to the N.C. Bypass until they have no choice but to bring it up again after the rest of I-42 is built, especially considering the headache NCDOT went through to finally get construction of the new Bonner Bridge over the Oregon Inlet underway. Even the Super 70 Corridor Commission isn't saying a word about it.

Well, if they can at least get the Kinston Bypass underway and upgrade the freeway section between Dover and New Bern, and with the Goldsboro Bypass now open, over half of I-42 would be done at least, not counting the other projects between Princeton and the Clayton Bypass.

Nothing is yet planned or done for the section between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and Princeton other than a feasibility study that was just released last year. At least I was able to read that one. :spin:

(Don't worry, it's a small PDF this time.  :sombrero: 71 pages, 3.21MB. A map of the alternatives is on page 10)

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1204A_Report_2015.pdf
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Mr. ENC

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 07, 2016, 05:06:31 PM
Mr. ENC, even if Interstate 42 was extended to Charlotte, what route would you have it take?

I would run I-42 with I-40 then put it on the future 540 to Apex.From there it follows US 64 into Chatham County (along existing Pittsboro Bypass, build new byass of Siler City), then to Randolph County (along the new Asheboro Bypass currently under construction), and then have it follow 49 through Davidson and Stanley County. From there it merges it I-85 just north of Concord and follows all the way through Charlotte and Gastonia where it will meet US-74 at Kings Mountain. It uses that highway (along with the Shelby Bypass currently under construction) and then it ends at I-26 in Columbus.

With this plan Charlotte can now be more easily linked to the port of Wilmington or Morehead City by not having to go anywhere near the Triad nor through the busy traffic of the Triangle. It also makes for a great alternate to 40 if you want to go to the mountain.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Mr. ENC on July 08, 2016, 10:22:27 AM
Mr. ENC, even if Interstate 42 was extended to Charlotte, what route would you have it take?

I would run I-42 with I-40 then put it on the future 540 to Apex.From there it follows US 64 into Chatham County (along existing Pittsboro Bypass, build new byass of Siler City), then to Randolph County (along the new Asheboro Bypass currently under construction), and then have it follow 49 through Davidson and Stanley County. From there it merges it I-85 just north of Concord and follows all the way through Charlotte and Gastonia where it will meet US-74 at Kings Mountain. It uses that highway (along with the Shelby Bypass currently under construction) and then it ends at I-26 in Columbus.

With this plan Charlotte can now be more easily linked to the port of Wilmington or Morehead City by not having to go anywhere near the Triad nor through the busy traffic of the Triangle. It also makes for a great alternate to 40 if you want to go to the mountain.

Doesn't make sense for anybody to take the interstate between Charlotte and Wilmington; everyone knows, who can read a map or follow GPS, that you take US 74. 

The biggest hitch about your route is taking Future NC 540, which will be a toll road.

Mr. ENC

Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 08, 2016, 11:22:37 AM

Doesn't make sense for anybody to take the interstate between Charlotte and Wilmington; everyone knows, who can read a map or follow GPS, that you take US 74. 

The biggest hitch about your route is taking Future NC 540, which will be a toll road.

Probably not but it makes perfect sense for people that live in the middle and northern coastal plains. It's either take 40/85 to Charlotte which takes forever or US74/I-74 which isn't completely up to interstate standard(which it probably would be before a I-42 to Charlotte). This proposed interstate would save almost 100 miles from people who live in the mid/northern coastal plains to a trip to Charlotte.

As for your second point, fine then instead of going on future 540, it follows 40 to and thru Raleigh and back down US1/US64 to Apex and then it continues like I first posted.

Gnutella

I think the western terminus of I-42 should be in Johnson City, TN via Wilkesboro and Boone.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Gnutella on July 11, 2016, 08:41:05 PM
I think the western terminus of I-42 should be in Johnson City, TN via Wilkesboro and Boone.

ARMOURERERIC

Since I am now a local, here is what I think NC wants to do over the next 50 years.  I-40 will be Raleigh south beltline, Apex, Asheboro, Mocksville.  I-42 is Raleigh north Beltline, Durham, Greensboro, W-S, Mocksville.  I-38 is Asheboro, Charlotte, Kings Mountain, I-26.  They know at some point an alternative will be needed to the 40/85 multiplex.

bob7374

Well, for where I-42 has been designated for now, I have created a very preliminary exit list for the corridor segments that are freeways, interstate standard or not, at this time. Info largely taken from US 70 in NC Wikipedia exit list. The listing is at:
http://gribblenation.net/ncfutints/i42exits.html

orulz

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 11, 2016, 10:51:09 PM
Since I am now a local, here is what I think NC wants to do over the next 50 years.  I-40 will be Raleigh south beltline, Apex, Asheboro, Mocksville.  I-42 is Raleigh north Beltline, Durham, Greensboro, W-S, Mocksville.  I-38 is Asheboro, Charlotte, Kings Mountain, I-26.  They know at some point an alternative will be needed to the 40/85 multiplex.
US 64 to US 421 already is an alternative to bypass the 40/85 multiplex in that corridor. I think that Ramseur and Siler City bypasses as well as NC49 upgrades are lower down the priority list than upgrading US64 between Pittsboro and Raleigh. That corridor could be given an interstate designation.

LGL33L

CanesFan27

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 11, 2016, 10:51:09 PM

Huh?

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on July 11, 2016, 11:41:12 PM
Well, for where I-42 has been designated for now, I have created a very preliminary exit list for the corridor segments that are freeways, interstate standard or not, at this time. Info largely taken from US 70 in NC Wikipedia exit list. The listing is at:

Nice list! Hopefully NCDOT will use I-42 mile markers and exit numbers along I-42/US-70 concurrencies. The I-795/US-264 concurrency in Wilson still uses US-264 exit numbers and mile markers, even though interstates are supposed to take top priority. I never understood why that wasn't changed.

slorydn1

A couple of notes to assist you with your exit list:

Exit 409 (I-42 Exit 92) is Clarks Road (aka SR 1225)
The US-17 Bypass exit is Exit 410, not sure where Wiki got 411 from.
The NC-43 exit is 411, not sure where Wiki got 412 from.

There are several unnumbered exits in Craven County, all original exits from when the freeway was built-from west to east:

Unnumbered (should be US-70 Exit 400) NC-41 South//Trenton Highway (we locals call it the Cove City Exit).
Unnumbered (should be US-70 Exit 408) Tuscarora-Rhems Road (aka SR 1224)
Unnumbered (should be US-70 Exit 414)  S. Glenburnie Road.
Unnumbered (should be US-70 Exit 415)  US-17 Business South//Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.

One thing to keep in mind, too, when judging I-42 mileage is that I-42 won't using US-70's mainline the entire distance. The Goldsboro Bypass adds 1.3 miles to the distance from New Bern to I-40, and there is not yet a way to tell how much of a difference the as yet undesigned Kinston Bypass will make.

I have the distance between the MLK exit in New Bern to the exit ramp to merge to I-40 using the new Goldsboro Bypass measured as 98.6 miles (3 trips now, measured with a Garmin Nuvi-2689), it was 97.3 miles using the mainline through Goldsboro.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on July 12, 2016, 02:04:01 PM

Nice list! Hopefully NCDOT will use I-42 mile markers and exit numbers along I-42/US-70 concurrencies. The I-795/US-264 concurrency in Wilson still uses US-264 exit numbers and mile markers, even though interstates are supposed to take top priority. I never understood why that wasn't changed.
The final route of I-42 is uncertain between Smithfield and Goldsboro and on the Kinston Bypass. Until those routes are firmed up, we can't measure mileage accurately along I-42 east of I-95.

Henry

The US 74 corridor would work better as an I-32, I-34, I-36 or I-38. And there's still time to reserve I-36 for that corridor, now that I-42 was chosen for the US 70 upgrade instead. However, I-87 should go down the US 1 corridor to Rockingham to better justify its existence. Otherwise, it should've been renumbered to I-46 or I-48, IMHO.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nerdom

I think that 42(or any freeway/toll road) should continue west along Raleigh's southern outer loop, then 64 to asheboro's bypass, but then straight to statesville to hook back up with 40. crossing 85 at salisbury while providing an alternative to 40/85 for eastbound 40 traffic and a more direct route b/w raleigh and charlotte. ??? :poke:

LM117

Shouldn't this be in the Fictional Highways forum?

Avalanchez71

Wow you folks in NC are ate up with interstates and fully controlled access highways.  Your neighbor to the west does very well without all the interstates all over the place.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 14, 2016, 08:57:55 PM
Wow you folks in NC are ate up with interstates and fully controlled access highways.  Your neighbor to the west does very well without all the interstates all over the place.

Hey there! I'm on the phone with I-69, 269 and 840.  They'd like to speak with you. They're trying to get I-26 on the line, too.  Have a minute?

LM117

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 14, 2016, 08:57:55 PM

Each state has it's own needs. If you had driven some of the roads in NC before they were upgraded, you'd understand why there are many controlled-access highways, the current upgrade of US-70 being a prime example. I grew up in Wayne County near Goldsboro and US-70 was a real pain in the ass before NCDOT started it's slow but steady upgrade over the years, especially between Goldsboro and Clayton. US-117 (a two-lane road) between Goldsboro and Wilson wasn't much fun either until I-795 got built.

LM117

US-70 being relocated around Beaufort as part of the Gallants Channel bridge construction project got me thinking. Assuming the Northern Carteret Bypass doesn't run into much opposition and gets built, would it be safe to assume (at least until NCDOT says otherwise) that I-42 will end just after crossing the new Gallants Channel bridge heading towards the Port of Morehead City? :hmm:

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on July 15, 2016, 10:04:32 AM
US-70 being relocated around Beaufort as part of the Gallants Channel bridge construction project got me thinking. Assuming the Northern Carteret Bypass doesn't run into much opposition and gets built, would it be safe to assume (at least until NCDOT says otherwise) that I-42 will end just after crossing the new Gallants Channel bridge heading towards the Port of Morehead City? :hmm:

Pretty much can end it wherever and however they want at this poin in time

froggie

Only if they upgrade 70 to an Interstate-grade freeway between the Northern Carteret Bypass and the Gallants Channel Bridge.  As I understand it, the realignment as part of the bridge project will NOT be freeway-grade.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on July 15, 2016, 10:43:50 AM
Only if they upgrade 70 to an Interstate-grade freeway between the Northern Carteret Bypass and the Gallants Channel Bridge.  As I understand it, the realignment as part of the bridge project will NOT be freeway-grade.

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure whether or not the realignment around Beaufort would be a freeway. Thanks for clearing that up.

Strider

Have they decided on which alignment they would choose for the Kinston Bypass?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.