News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: MikeCL on August 09, 2018, 02:59:08 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 09, 2018, 02:32:45 PM
I still can't believe when CT redid the service plazas on the Merritt and Wilbur Cross they didn't fix the on-off-ramps to them.  I heard the Pkwy Conservancy had a role in that as they didn't allow any changes to the footprints.

It seems to me if this were any other state the on-off-ramps would've been included and updated.
Some of the on ramps are so short it's crazy

Plus most don't have a dedicated acceleration lane so there are still stop signs at the top of the ramp and one has to go 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds to avoid getting run over.  At least some of the Wilbur Cross ramps have been fixed.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

connroadgeek

You guys don't find it fun exiting the parkway and having to go from 65 mph to a stop sign at the end of a 200 ft curvy off-ramp? If not then I'll bet you find the stop signs at the end of the on-ramps charming! Having to enter a highway from a dead stop is always a great time.

shadyjay

Quote from: zzyzx on August 06, 2018, 03:24:33 PM
I stumbled upon another study of I-95, this one from the South Central Regional Council of Governments on Exit 53 (the Branford Connector).

It looks like they're trying to complete the interchange by adding a NB entrance ramp and a SB exit, but the nearby service plaza and ROW needed is posing a challenge.

This being CT, the preferred alternate is Option 2 from the presentation document, which will eliminate the trumpet interchange and replace it with a modified diamond interchange with 2 traffic signals.  It would combine traffic exiting to the Branford Connector as well as the service plaza.  Traffic exiting both service plazas would then merge back with the connector traffic and have to sit at one of the lights before re-entering I-95.

Confused? So am I. I'm hoping that more modifications are made if and when they decide to re-build this.  I'm sure one of us here can come up with some better ideas. ConnDOT could learn some things from TxDOT how to design efficient ramps without major environmental impacts. IMO, I prefer Option 1 without the traffic signals.

Here's a screenshot of Option 2:

This all seems like an incredible waste of money and I can think of 1000 more important construction projects to tackle across the state over this.  I mean, Exits 53 and 54 are, what, about a mile apart.  Improve Route 1 between them.  There's no reason why traffic wishing to reach the area of the Branford Connector can't take Exit 54 if heading on 95 SB. 

My solution?  Close the NB offramp and SB onramp at Exit 54.  This gives traffic better time to merge into two lanes.  I-95 should be widened to 3 lanes all the way to New London, but that project can be broken up into sections (start with widening Exit 54 to the Guilford town line, for example).  And I would close the Branford-SB service plaza and make it a weigh station (same with Madison NB).  Those two are the smallest plazas on I-95 and its not that far from other plazas. 

But if they really want to make Exit 53 a full interchange, then I like Option 1. 

64CatalinaVentura

Quote from: shadyjay on August 09, 2018, 05:26:08 PM
I stumbled upon another study of I-95, this one from the South Central Regional Council of Governments on Exit 53 (the Branford Connector).

It looks like they're trying to complete the interchange by adding a NB entrance ramp and a SB exit, but the nearby service plaza and ROW needed is posing a challenge.

This being CT, the preferred alternate is Option 2 from the presentation document, which will eliminate the trumpet interchange and replace it with a modified diamond interchange with 2 traffic signals.  It would combine traffic exiting to the Branford Connector as well as the service plaza.  Traffic exiting both service plazas would then merge back with the connector traffic and have to sit at one of the lights before re-entering I-95.

Confused? So am I. I'm hoping that more modifications are made if and when they decide to re-build this.  I'm sure one of us here can come up with some better ideas. ConnDOT could learn some things from TxDOT how to design efficient ramps without major environmental impacts. IMO, I prefer Option 1 without the traffic signals.

This all seems like an incredible waste of money and I can think of 1000 more important construction projects to tackle across the state over this.  I mean, Exits 53 and 54 are, what, about a mile apart.  Improve Route 1 between them.  There's no reason why traffic wishing to reach the area of the Branford Connector can't take Exit 54 if heading on 95 SB. 

My solution?  Close the NB offramp and SB onramp at Exit 54.  This gives traffic better time to merge into two lanes.  I-95 should be widened to 3 lanes all the way to New London, but that project can be broken up into sections (start with widening Exit 54 to the Guilford town line, for example).  And I would close the Branford-SB service plaza and make it a weigh station (same with Madison NB).  Those two are the smallest plazas on I-95 and its not that far from other plazas. 

But if they really want to make Exit 53 a full interchange, then I like Option 1.

I live about two miles from this. Traffic in that area on 95 and route 1 is a total disaster. Route 1 needs to be totally reconfigured for better traffic flow due to the numerous stop lights within a short distance of one another, difficulty changing lanes in the area, with many out of area drivers being confused or stuck in the wrong lane, and difficulty getting in and out of some local business lots during peak traffic. Adding the other half of this exit makes sense. Remember that southern New England is very densely populated. Currently both exits 53 and 54 are very busy, especially during rush hour. This will help to reduce traffic in the area around exit 54 in Branford and exit 52 in East Haven.
Interstates Completed:
I 95 (NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA)
I 91 (CT, MA)
I 90 (MA)
I 80 (PA)
I 78 (PA)
I 287 (NY, NJ)
I 280 (OH)
I 290 (MA)
I 381 (VA)
I 384 (CT)
I 395 (CT, MA)
I 691 (CT)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: 64CatalinaVentura on August 09, 2018, 11:47:47 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on August 09, 2018, 05:26:08 PM

I live about two miles from this. Traffic in that area on 95 and route 1 is a total disaster. Route 1 needs to be totally reconfigured for better traffic flow due to the numerous stop lights within a short distance of one another, difficulty changing lanes in the area, with many out of area drivers being confused or stuck in the wrong lane, and difficulty getting in and out of some local business lots during peak traffic. Adding the other half of this exit makes sense. Remember that southern New England is very densely populated. Currently both exits 53 and 54 are very busy, especially during rush hour. This will help to reduce traffic in the area around exit 54 in Branford and exit 52 in East Haven.

I'd say do a flyover and have the SB off-ramp start before the SB rest area and go behind it. But this is CT and people will freak over that.  So instead CT will downgrade another interchange and free flow movement.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jon daly

Quote from: connroadgeek on August 09, 2018, 05:07:23 PM
You guys don't find it fun exiting the parkway and having to go from 65 mph to a stop sign at the end of a 200 ft curvy off-ramp? If not then I'll bet you find the stop signs at the end of the on-ramps charming! Having to enter a highway from a dead stop is always a great time.

When I was a kid, I-91 north of Hartford was sort of like that, IIRC. Wasn't there a link recently that mentioned that widening project?

Rothman

Before the expansion of I-91 that added the HOV lanes, not only were their some stupid ramps, but the signage was horrible.

Southbound, the exit for CT 178 was barely signed -- the last guide sign wasn't even a BGS.  It was about the size of legal sized paper.  Didn't have the CT outline reflector shield on it though, but a squashed CT 178 white rectangle shield.

Can't describe how amazing the transformation was between the glorified parkway that section of I-91 was to what it is now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ipeters61

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2018, 11:56:00 AM
Before the expansion of I-91 that added the HOV lanes, not only were their some stupid ramps, but the signage was horrible.

Southbound, the exit for CT 178 was barely signed -- the last guide sign wasn't even a BGS.  It was about the size of legal sized paper.  Didn't have the CT outline reflector shield on it though, but a squashed CT 178 white rectangle shield.

Can't describe how amazing the transformation was between the glorified parkway that section of I-91 was to what it is now.
Are we talking about signs of this size?  I can't stand those.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Rothman

No.  Shorter but wider and much flimsier.  Think more like the crappy signage on NJ 17.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

On old I-91, the interchange with CT 305 was constructed more than a decade before 305 became a signed route in 1962/3. The BGS was (IIRC) a plain "Bloomfield Ave / Windsor" sign.

When 305 was designated, the highway department did not replace the BGS, but instead attached a CT 305 marker to the top border.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

shadyjay

My first experience with I-91 north of Hartford was in the 1989/1990 timeframe.  Signs from Exits 33 up to 38 were quite flimsy, but I'm assuming that was because the whole road was under construction.  North to Exit 41, there were some overheads that were on slim gantries (similar to those on the turnpike).  Entrance signs lacked direction... instead of "91 North/Springfield/->", they were just "91/Springfield->".  Exit 43 was still open at the time, northbound.  Once you got past Exit 44, the road was already widened, up to the state line. 

Mergingtraffic

Are they making a new Exit 9 on-ramp for I-95 NB?  I see grading that looks to be for that unless it's for construction vehicles for some other project. 

EDIT:
I found it
https://darienite.com/rt-1-bridge-over-i-95-at-exit-9-to-be-replaced-by-november-2019-34234

tckma

Quote from: connroadgeek on August 09, 2018, 05:07:23 PM

Just like the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkways, the Taconic State Parkway, Saw Mill River Parkway, and just about any other Westchester County, NY parkway.  Yeah.  A whole lot of not fun.

MikeCL

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 12, 2018, 04:24:35 PM
Are they making a new Exit 9 on-ramp for I-95 NB?  I see grading that looks to be for that unless it's for construction vehicles for some other project. 

EDIT:
I found it
https://darienite.com/rt-1-bridge-over-i-95-at-exit-9-to-be-replaced-by-november-2019-34234
I came here to wonder that as well what about a little past the on ramp from 9? Did the sate put something up on the website about this?

looks like adding one northbound lane

https://www.equipmentworld.com/ctdot-says-strategic-widening-of-i-95-will-reduce-congestion-boost-economy/

And this one talks about a bridge replacement..

Mergingtraffic

http://nbcct.co/N1Nuucx

I-84 will have three lanes in Waterbury sooner rather than later.  A year ahead of schedule.  EB this week.

MikeCL

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 20, 2018, 03:42:59 PM
http://nbcct.co/N1Nuucx

I-84 will have three lanes in Waterbury sooner rather than later.  A year ahead of schedule.  EB this week.

I wonder if it's possible for them to widen the rt 8 exit plus the bridge? I still can't on earth think  why they would have the bridge what is it two lanes that's open to 3? Given it's been the bottleneck for as long as I can remember.

shadyjay

So I was down in CT this past weekend for 4 days.  While there, I did some driving around, including I-95 South from Westbrook to Norwalk, US 7 up to Danbury, I-84 from the NY state line to Cheshire, I-691, and I-95 North from Old Saybrook out to the RI state line.

A few new signs up on I-95 within the Groton->RI state line sign replacement.  No new overhead supports yet, and some of the bridge-mounted signs still remain, while their new ground-mount counterparts are in place. 

New 4-chord trusses are up on the Gold Star Bridge SB, along with BGS supports, but no signs themselves.  The old trusses and signs remain in place.

The speed limit on I-84 has been risen to 65 MPH starting at Exit 25A in Waterbury.  This 65 mph zone continues to Exit 40 in West Hartford, except a 55 MPH stretch between the Route 72 exits in New Britain.  I did not travel I-84 through the Southington-Farmington sign replacement project this time, however. 

Being a Friday, traffic was bad where expected... I-84 from Exit 17 out to 25A.  Significant progress through the I-84 widening... what a difference.  The new Exit 25 was open, as was the ramp from Route 69 to I-84 East.  Looking in the rear-view, I did catch one old remaining NRBC Exit 23 sign, with the large "69" shield.  The sign at the exit itself has been replaced, with a new EXIT -> ONLY tab. 

I-95 SB moved right along until Exit 16 in Norwalk.  Originally I had planned to go to NY and cross over 287 and up 684 to meet up with I-84, but I took Route 7 instead.  The West River Bridge proejct in New Haven is pretty much complete and looks good.  There's one BGS to put up for Exit 43, however.

The return trip back to Vermont took me on I-95 from southern Connecticut up to Hampton, NH, then cut back northwest via NH 101, I-93, and I-89.

All the pics are at the link in my sig, for those interested!

jon daly

There's two poles on I-95 South in North Stoning; just next to the state line and the huge Welcome sign. Not sure what's up with them.

Rothman

Took a trip down to the Groton side of Mystic from here in Albany yesterday.

Didn't know about the "Business Route" BGS in Colchester on CT 2:

More interesting to me was how bad traffic was on I-91 SB north of Hartford.  Managed to bypass most of it by taking the HOV lane, but even around 2:00, the backup would have added 8-10 minutes to travel time (per Google Maps), if not more.  Pretty bad for a Wednesday when it wasn't even rush hour.

Lucked out with the HOV lane, too.  Every other time I've gambled on taking it, I've gotten behind some sort of slowpoke and there's no way out once you're in.  Also wonder how many traffic problems are caused by the left-hand merge and then people cutting across to get to I-84 west (on top of what I think is also construction west of the interchange?).

Strange little backup getting onto CT 2 East from I-84 East as well.  Single lane exit wasn't handling the capacity; might also have been due to the curvier nature of CT 2 at the merge point.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Rothman on August 23, 2018, 01:57:41 PMMore interesting to me was how bad traffic was on I-91 SB north of Hartford.  Managed to bypass most of it by taking the HOV lane, but even around 2:00, the backup would have added 8-10 minutes to travel time (per Google Maps), if not more.  Pretty bad for a Wednesday when it wasn't even rush hour.

Lucked out with the HOV lane, too.  Every other time I've gambled on taking it, I've gotten behind some sort of slowpoke and there's no way out once you're in.  Also wonder how many traffic problems are caused by the left-hand merge and then people cutting across to get to I-84 west (on top of what I think is also construction west of the interchange?).

I've had enough headaches with congestion and construction on 84 in Hartford that I now simply refuse to drive it under any circumstances.  The alternatives might sometimes be slower, but they're almost always less stressful.

That kind of delay on 91 south at that time of day isn't THAT uncommon, but there's usually an explanation for it -- an accident, pothole or guard-rail repair, etc.   After 3-4pm, the congestion is usually just the result of the failure of the design of the 84-91 interchange given the volume.

Outside of congestion, my luck with the HOV lane on 91 south is that I get stuck behind either someone driving close to the speed limit or a school bus, at a time when the left lane of 91 is running 10+ mph faster.  Since I try to drive efficiently / with as little interaction with other vehicles as possible, that's usually OK...but it gets annoying when running late for an appointment.  :)

Oh, and the congestion observed going from 91 south to 2 east I would blame on the weave occuring mostly on the bridge.

abqtraveler

Just downloaded the plans for the last Route 8 sign replacement contract that covers the section from I-95 to Shelton. Main item of note is the plans show all of the exit signs retaining sequential numbering. Last that I had read was Route 8 was to be converted to mile-based exit numbers with these sign replacement contracts,  but it appears that is not happening.  Would anyone happen to know if ConnDOT has abandoned its plans to convert to mile-based exit numbering?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

MikeCL

I was passing the 95 NB weigh station like I do each morning but I noticed something missing... they took down the VMS sign.. I emailed the DOT many of times because the sign would be on talking about a lane being closed or something. I emailed them every day 2 years ago until they fixed the florescent light fixture it worked for about 4 months now it's back to not working..

I guess they will be replacing it now they took the whole mounting platform.

shadyjay

Quote from: abqtraveler on August 29, 2018, 01:55:19 PM
Just downloaded the plans for the last Route 8 sign replacement contract that covers the section from I-95 to Shelton. Main item of note is the plans show all of the exit signs retaining sequential numbering. Last that I had read was Route 8 was to be converted to mile-based exit numbers with these sign replacement contracts,  but it appears that is not happening.  Would anyone happen to know if ConnDOT has abandoned its plans to convert to mile-based exit numbering?

I noticed that as well.  But, in true ConnDOT fashion, it'll probably be a separate project after this one is complete.  The least they could've done was add the exit tabs for the CT 25 "exit" in Bridgeport and left the exit part blank for the time being. 

What I do like is the moving of some of the guide signs in Trumbull/Shelton from overhead supports to ground supports.  There's no need for a sign on a fairly level, straight, 2-lane roadway to be overhead in a rural setting.  That is, unless you're in the state of Massachusetts.

The Merritt Parkway SB Exit 52 overhead at the split for Route 8 North/South, which wasn't being replaced as part of the MP sign project (currently ongoing), IS in fact being replaced as part of this Route 8 contract.  At least that assembly won't be the "one that got away" (see I-95 Exit 32, CT 15 Exit 55, CT 9 NB Jct 91 1 1/2 miles, etc). 

ipeters61

Quote from: MikeCL on August 29, 2018, 04:00:09 PM
I was passing the 95 NB weigh station like I do each morning but I noticed something missing... they took down the VMS sign.. I emailed the DOT many of times because the sign would be on talking about a lane being closed or something. I emailed them every day 2 years ago until they fixed the florescent light fixture it worked for about 4 months now it's back to not working..

It's funny that you mention that since I once emailed ConnDOT about an incorrect lane ending sign being posted on CT-195 in Mansfield.  They responded within 2 weeks with a new sign posted.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

MikeCL

Quote from: ipeters61 on August 30, 2018, 12:01:37 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on August 29, 2018, 04:00:09 PM

It's funny that you mention that since I once emailed ConnDOT about an incorrect lane ending sign being posted on CT-195 in Mansfield.  They responded within 2 weeks with a new sign posted.
I was shocked when I saw they fixed the lights I'm glad they are fixing the sign or replacing it which they must be because the next sign is not until exit 9 NB.

Now don't get me started on those.. I'm not sure if they are glitchy but sometimes it will show jarbled words until the sign changes or sometimes a stuck LED or missing.. looks to be three color amber/red/green

Having that why buy a three color sign if you only use just one color all the time?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.