News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I think the picture is of Exit 9 of I-84.

Now only if we can get the geeks in Ridgefield and Wilton to realize a bypass expressway is needed.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mergingtraffic

The 4th lane of I-95 SB in New Haven is expected to open this Wednesday from the I-91 merge to Exit 45.

Of course, the DOT was supposed to add a 4th lane NB in this area but the anti-road New Haven rejected it.  Even though, what is an extra 12 feet of width?   and the underpass was built to accomodate it anyway. 

Mergingtraffic

Last leg of Route 11 will be completed
Toll possible
Updated: Monday, 13 Dec 2010, 6:33 PM EST
Published : Monday, 13 Dec 2010, 6:33 PM EST

Tina Detelj
Salem, Conn. (WTNH) - The Route 11 project in Salem was cancelled last year due to funding and environmental issues, but now Governor-elect Dan Malloy says he wants to see it finished up.

Route 11 stops at Exit 4 and never connects to I-95, which would make a more direct route between Hartford to New London. It's never been completed and the new governor may support completing this highway but it's going to cost motorists money.

"I mean they've gone this far just finish the thing, you know," said Daniella Daskam of Salem.

"I live right up the road here and if they completed Route 11 there'd be a lot less accidents on this road, a lot less congestion," said Barry Dolzenchuk of Salem.

Residents have heard plans to complete the route before.

"Ever since I've lived here for 25 years. You kept hearing it and hearing it," said Mary Maynard of Salem.

So how would the state finance the one billion dollars it would take to build the next seven miles of highway? Malloy is considering tolls but wants to make sure the money would go only to this project.

"I'd rather have it there and pay for it than not have it there," Maynard said.

Not everybody is on board. Some Salem businesses like Simply Flowers don't want to lose the drive by traffic.

"It's gonna make traffic go right by and nobody's gonna have the chance to stop," said Denise Crosson, Simply Flowers.

Alps

Quote from: doofy103 on December 13, 2010, 07:07:55 PM
Toll possible

Very poorly written article.  Original is at http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/politics/last-leg-of-route-11-will-be-completed.

shadyjay

Quote from: doofy103 on December 13, 2010, 07:07:55 PM
Toll possible

How many times have we heard this before?  I'll believe it when I see it!

Mergingtraffic

More Route 11 news.  Don't hold your breath.  CT, The, we can't figure out how to build our highways while others can state!

http://www.courant.com/community/new-london/hc-highway-tolls-side-0118-20110118,0,5524402.story

ctsignguy

Man, i remember when they opened up that first stretch of CONN 11 back in the early 70s....while it trimmed off 10 minutes off the Manchester-Old Lyme trips my brother and i were on between various family members when we were kids, i also recall that environmental issues were the first reason 11 was not completed....the same groups that eventually killed off I-84 from Hartford to Providence, and several other highways...the fact that CONN 85 was totally inadequate for the traffic between Colchester and New London totally escaped the notice of those opposed...

After 40 years, i'll believe it when i see it, and not before....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

connroadgeek

Quote from: doofy103 on January 30, 2011, 10:01:23 AM
More Route 11 news.  Don't hold your breath.  CT, The, we can't figure out how to build our highways while others can state!

http://www.courant.com/community/new-london/hc-highway-tolls-side-0118-20110118,0,5524402.story

This isn't just a problem in CT. It seems to occur most often in the densely populated areas around the country for a few reasons. One is the not in my back yard syndrome. No one wants a highway that fences off their neighborhood that kills property values. This is one of the arguments of East Lyme residents when it comes to Route 11 completion. Some bad areas in cities can be attributed to the isolation of certain neighborhoods by highway construction. In places in SE NY and southern New England in particular, there is a lot of wealth. Those whose properties would be taken by eminent domain have a ton of money and/or lawyers with disproportionate political influence at their disposal to greatly slow or completely block progress. On the flip side, even if there was no one around to block progress, the right of way acquisition costs in these types of areas are astronomical and potentially financially out of reach or not feasible economically. This is the biggest reason I-95 will never be widened through Fairfield County - ever. I think most of the time, in CT at least, the reason progress isn't made is because of the high cost of the land necessary to expand or build highways. It's not so much an inept government or DOT, but more a question of money and residents' attitudes. There's a reason other states can seemingly "get it done." Look at what those states have in common. Cheap land, and much lower population densities. Other than the EPA it makes for a lot less resistance at the state level.

Beeper1

NIMBYism isn't really a problem for the Route 11 corridor. All the towns along the proposed route, especially Salem, want to see it completed because Route 85 is now too dangerous and congested.   That's what makes it so odd, it's the one case where there's only minimal community opposition to the road, and it still is mired in planing hell. 

Yeah, I-95 in Fiarfield County will never get the real improvements it needs. Between the price tag of construction and difficult real estate.

Duke87

Maybe I just drove it at the wrong time (Saturday in February, ~5-6 PM), but 85 seemed pretty open to me, and 11 itself was empty.

6 between Willmantic and Bolton on the other hand, now that's a nightmare that definitely needs its freeway finished.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 23, 2011, 08:00:11 PM
NIMBYism isn't really a problem for the Route 11 corridor. All the towns along the proposed route, especially Salem, want to see it completed because Route 85 is now too dangerous and congested.   That's what makes it so odd, it's the one case where there's only minimal community opposition to the road, and it still is mired in planing hell.  

This is the annoying part, I wonder why is that?  Is it the DOT? Is it the state and their poor spending issues?

But I noticed with other projects as well...the thinking is on a smaller scale than in other parts of the country.  If the DOT can find the space to widen I-95 in East Haven, they could widen anywhere.  Also, when roads are widened, they dont add in turn lanes in some spots when there is room or they dont stripe one in when there is extra pavement.  Small thinking is also why you will never see triple left turn lanes in CT.  People would flip out as it's "too high profile."  It could be used at CT-34 WB intersection with CT-115 and Ct-8 in Derby.

Other states seem to plan and widen in the time it takes CT to think about a project.  

For example, I-84 widening from NY to Waterbury, most of the widening is done in the median, so there is not much property buying but it took the EIS 8 years to get started! 8 years!  It was wrangling between the contractor and the DOT.  the COG was even annoyed at how long it took.  Now, it finally started but it is stalled b/c of funding.  Does this happen in Nebraska or Tenn?

connroadgeek

Quote from: doofy103 on March 24, 2011, 03:47:54 PM
Quote from: Beeper1 on March 23, 2011, 08:00:11 PM
NIMBYism isn't really a problem for the Route 11 corridor. All the towns along the proposed route, especially Salem, want to see it completed because Route 85 is now too dangerous and congested.   That's what makes it so odd, it's the one case where there's only minimal community opposition to the road, and it still is mired in planing hell.  

This is the annoying part, I wonder why is that?  Is it the DOT? Is it the state and their poor spending issues?

But I noticed with other projects as well...the thinking is on a smaller scale than in other parts of the country.  If the DOT can find the space to widen I-95 in East Haven, they could widen anywhere.  Also, when roads are widened, they dont add in turn lanes in some spots when there is room or they dont stripe one in when there is extra pavement.  Small thinking is also why you will never see triple left turn lanes in CT.  People would flip out as it's "too high profile."  It could be used at CT-34 WB intersection with CT-115 and Ct-8 in Derby.

Other states seem to plan and widen in the time it takes CT to think about a project.  

For example, I-84 widening from NY to Waterbury, most of the widening is done in the median, so there is not much property buying but it took the EIS 8 years to get started! 8 years!  It was wrangling between the contractor and the DOT.  the COG was even annoyed at how long it took.  Now, it finally started but it is stalled b/c of funding.  Does this happen in Nebraska or Tenn?

Who pays for it all? After seeing I-95 SB and the Merritt SB jammed up today at 1 in the afternoon from Darien south, I think people need to get more accustomed to mass transit because it's not gonna get better in our lifetime. The only way projects are going to get done in CT going forward is if the federal gov't fast tracks the project which automatically bypasses a lot of the standard means to block projects all in the name of national security. I thought Route 11 was considered a fast track project due to the proximity to a nuclear power plant and the sub base.

Duke87

Quote from: connroadgeek on March 25, 2011, 06:45:07 PM
After seeing I-95 SB and the Merritt SB jammed up today at 1 in the afternoon from Darien south, I think people need to get more accustomed to mass transit because it's not gonna get better in our lifetime.

Except that Metro-North is also pretty crowded and expanding rail capacity isn't going to happen, either.

What people are going to have to get more accustomed to is living somewhere else. The New York area can't accommodate more people on its existing infrastructure and the will, money, etc. to expand and improve it doesn't exist.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

connroadgeek

Quote from: Duke87 on March 25, 2011, 08:24:26 PM
Quote from: connroadgeek on March 25, 2011, 06:45:07 PM
After seeing I-95 SB and the Merritt SB jammed up today at 1 in the afternoon from Darien south, I think people need to get more accustomed to mass transit because it's not gonna get better in our lifetime.

Except that Metro-North is also pretty crowded and expanding rail capacity isn't going to happen, either.

What people are going to have to get more accustomed to is living somewhere else. The New York area can't accommodate more people on its existing infrastructure and the will, money, etc. to expand and improve it doesn't exist.

True, the rails are pretty crowded. Got to ride in one of the new train cars this week. Looks like they're finally out there and in service. Nice bathrooms compared to the current fleet. I think some drastic measures need to be introduced if the congestion issue is to be solved. That is if any one cares. I think people have just gotten used to how things are and are unwilling to pay for improvements. No big deal that it takes an hour to go 10-15 miles, I guess. Widening highways won't work unless done in conjunction with NY. If NY can charge $6 or $10 for bridge crossings, I think CT should institute tolls at the borders of similar amounts if not higher. At least try to deter the pass through traffic. Force a lot of the truck traffic north up 87 to the little used Mass Pike. If nothing else at least CT would have some cash to actually work with for improvements of its highways. They have to do something as 95 is a complete disaster. If they can't increase capacity, then the only other thing to try is reduce the number of cars, and perhaps an exorbitantly high toll would help.

froggie

QuoteDoes this happen in Nebraska or Tenn?

Believe it or not, it does.  TDOT recently killed several projects, including the proposed I-475-or-TN 475 around Knoxville.  Nebraska has been working for the better part of 20 years now to widen I-80 between Lincoln and Omaha, and I don't think they're done yet.

QuoteIf NY can charge $6 or $10 for bridge crossings, I think CT should institute tolls at the borders of similar amounts if not higher. At least try to deter the pass through traffic.

Had CT kept the tolls on the CT Turnpike, perhaps things would be a bit different now.  Instead, they let a couple of high-profile tollbooth crashes get the better of them.

Beeper1

CT 11 was fast-tracked, the congressman from that area even got the DOT a chunk of money in the 06? transportation bill to get design work under way.  Less than a year later, the CDOT again decided to shelve the project. 

It was a firly big story, as the congressman (Rep. Courtney) went on the war path, demanding meetings with the Governor and the DOT Commissioner wanting to know what they did with the money he got them for the project, why they cancelled it after asking him for the money to begin with, and why the state was un-fast tracking it.

As far as I know, nobody ever got an answer as to where the DOT slid the money.  If they did, it wasn't in the news.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 26, 2011, 11:19:14 AM
CT 11 was fast-tracked, the congressman from that area even got the DOT a chunk of money in the 06? transportation bill to get design work under way.  Less than a year later, the CDOT again decided to shelve the project.  

It was a firly big story, as the congressman (Rep. Courtney) went on the war path, demanding meetings with the Governor and the DOT Commissioner wanting to know what they did with the money he got them for the project, why they cancelled it after asking him for the money to begin with, and why the state was un-fast tracking it.

As far as I know, nobody ever got an answer as to where the DOT slid the money.  If they did, it wasn't in the news.

I do remember a DC COngressman un fast tracked it b/c CT didn't do something with Amtrak and the guy played dirty politics.  This happened after the EIS was done under Rob Simmons' tenure.  

I remember when the EIS was done, the FHWA said it wanted more details before they issued a ROD, in a unsual move, they said they would release some $$ for the project before the ROD was issued.  Of course, 2 years went by and i haven't heard anything more.  Which is why I print newspaper articles to refer too and so I can grill the politicians and the DOT people.  haha

So, does the FEIS that hasn't had a ROD issued yet have  to be redone if nothin happens?  I ask b/c it seems they spent $$ for the FEIS it's being wasted if the FEIS has to be redone...it just seems stupid to waste $$ they dont allegedly have.

Beeper1

I think that depends on how long they wait.  If things get rolling again within a certain period of time they may not have to do a new one. However, if it goes for another decade or so then they may be enough changes in the local area development, or changes in different agencies environmental policies that a new one is required.

Basically, it seems the state squandered all the funds that Simmons and Courtney got to try to get the ball rolling.

Hadn't heard about the Amtrack thing, but it isn't surprising. Gotta love the system...

shadyjay

Elsewhere in the Nutmeg State....

A project to replace signage along I-84 between the New York State Line and the Housatonic River is commencing:

See:  http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2135&Q=476140

This section has featured a hodge-podge of signage, including some old signs between NY and Exit 3 with some extra-large US and interstate route shields on the BGSs.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on March 28, 2011, 09:03:17 PM

A project to replace signage along I-84 between the New York State Line and the Housatonic River is commencing:
See:  http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2135&Q=476140

This section has featured a hodge-podge of signage, including some old signs between NY and Exit 3 with some extra-large US and interstate route shields on the BGSs.

Yes,when I-84 was widened between NY & Exit 3 the state put up new signage that wasn't button copy.  This was around 1983 or so.  Also, there is a non-reflective button copy Exit 2 tab on I-84 EB, that used to be an Exit 23 tab. (The three outline is still visible)
Most of the signs here had a hodge-podge of 1983 non-button copy signage and mid 80s button copy.

(CT used non reflective button copy until the early 80s and then non-button copy and then to reflective button copy by 1986 or so)

agentsteel53

what was the numbering scheme under which exit 2 was once exit 23?  it is nowhere near 23 miles to the NY state line.

there are definitely some of those non-button-copy exit signs still left eastbound, as of Feb 2010.  Austin Road comes to mind.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 29, 2011, 04:13:47 PM
what was the numbering scheme under which exit 2 was once exit 23?  it is nowhere near 23 miles to the NY state line.

there are definitely some of those non-button-copy exit signs still left eastbound, as of Feb 2010.  Austin Road comes to mind.

I'm thinking they stole that tab from somewhere else? Possibly Waterbury?  it has been there as long as I can remember.  Possibly from the widening project in 1983?

I figured the non button copy signs are from 1983-ish b/c there is also similiar signage left on the Merritt by the CT-25 Expressway which opened up around the same time. Plus when I-84 was widened from Exit 3-8 in 1986, button copy was used.  I remember when those were new.

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 29, 2011, 04:13:47 PM

That would just be continuing the NY state sequential numbering.

Mergingtraffic

while driving on I-84 from NY to Newtown, I reallized some gems will soon be gone:

1) the Exit 10 "Exit now" gantry with the old non working BGS lights on I-84 EB
2) The non reflective button copy Exit 2 (23) exit tab on the 1/2 mile sign on I-84 EB
3) The ancient gantry for the WB Exit 4 1/2 mile sign

EXIT TAB PROGRESS:

However I just realized DOT did a new signing project not too long ago between Exits 13 and 22 on I-84 with non bordered centered exit tabs in 2006.  
A year or two later, new Exit 9 & 8 signs went up with alligned non-bordered exit tabs in 2009.  
Now in 2010-2011 a new Exit 11 WB 1/2 mile sign went up with an alligned BORDERED exit tab.  How quickly CTDOT is getting MUTCD compliant. I noticed all new eixt tabs in the state now have borders and are alligned.

If you like your non-bordered alligned tabs check out I-95 from Exit 23 to NY.  They should be there for the next 25 years or so.  They look really good.  I'm not a fan of the borders....they aren't bad looking at all, I just like the uniqueness of the non-bordered tabs.

relaxok

Quote from: doofy103 on March 31, 2011, 12:29:04 AM
while driving on I-84 from NY to Newtown, I reallized some gems will soon be gone:

1) the Exit 10 "Exit now" gantry with the old non working BGS lights on I-84 EB
2) The non reflective button copy Exit 2 (23) exit tab on the 1/2 mile sign on I-84 EB
3) The ancient gantry for the WB Exit 4 1/2 mile sign

Wow, I haven't been in the area in years now, but I do remember all those things!

Is it just me or is all the signage between around 8 and 13 pretty shabby looking?  Unless they've replaced it in the last several years.. if I recall it seemed like it had seen better days.  I guess that's sort of a dumb question since the news item was about replacing detriorated signage -- I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed it and the DOT took note =)

Here's something one of you guys must know - any idea how to get off the CT DOT mailing lists?  I put myself on via the website but the emails have no links or information about removing yourself, and nobody will respond to any of the contact addresses on the site.  I've never in my life seen mailing list email without unsubscribe instructions! Actually, I'd like to stay on for news like the above, but I accidentally get tons of traffic information - which, living in California now, couldn't be less useful.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.