News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Different colored Asphalt in States

Started by silverback1065, October 31, 2016, 11:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I've been wondering this for a while, so I thought I'd ask you guys.  Why is it that some states have different colored asphalt?  What causes this?  I've noticed that Mississippi's asphalt is sometimes red.  What causes this, the aggregate?  An admixture?

cl94

PA asphalt is often red because they use aggregate sourced in-state.

One thing I have noticed is that asphalt in Vermont is often quite light-colored compared to other places. Don't know why.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SectorZ

Anyone know what causes the random purple-tinged color you see in some of the suburbs north of Boston. Saugus comes to mind as having more than a few colored like that.

jwolfer

Quote from: SectorZ on November 01, 2016, 01:38:29 PM
Anyone know what causes the random purple-tinged color you see in some of the suburbs north of Boston. Saugus comes to mind as having more than a few colored like that.
They are starting rainbow colored pavement.  Different roads are different colors.  Its all party of the "gay mafia agenda" . California another liberal state is doing the same thing

LGMS428

Quote from: jwolfer on November 01, 2016, 01:57:45 PM
They are starting rainbow colored pavement.  Different roads are different colors.  Its all party of the "gay mafia agenda" . California another liberal state is doing the same thing

LGMS428

Seriously?  :paranoid:

I haven't noticed any unusual asphalt colours in my area, but I have noticed double standards as to what roads are asphalt and which are concrete.  I've seen concrete residential streets, but I've also seen asphalt freeways and expressways.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

jwolfer

Quote from: 20160805 on November 03, 2016, 06:51:14 AM

LGMS428

I haven't noticed any unusual asphalt colours in my area, but I have noticed double standards as to what roads are asphalt and which are concrete.  I've seen concrete residential streets, but I've also seen asphalt freeways and expressways.
SARCASAM

LGMS428

Mr. Matté

Quote from: jwolfer on November 03, 2016, 07:41:24 AM

LGMS428

SARCASAM

LGMS428

Besides, the gay mafia is clearly using thermoplastic:

(https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16157.0)

jwolfer

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 03, 2016, 12:17:04 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on November 03, 2016, 07:41:24 AM

LGMS428

SARCASAM

LGMS428

Besides, the gay mafia is clearly using thermoplastic:

(https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16157.0)
Oh my goodness. That is just fabulous!

LGMS428

MikeCL

I have a question somewhat like the op but what I've noticed is say when they repave a road it's almost much darker then the original and has less rock and looks like more tar?

silverback1065

Quote from: MikeCL on November 06, 2016, 01:23:03 AM
I have a question somewhat like the op but what I've noticed is say when they repave a road it's almost much darker then the original and has less rock and looks like more tar?

when they repave a road, they put in new surface asphalt, and some extra binder.  the extra binder is what makes it so dark.  it will get bleached by the sun over time though and turn more gray.

MikeCL

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 06, 2016, 03:19:02 PM

when they repave a road, they put in new surface asphalt, and some extra binder.  the extra binder is what makes it so dark.  it will get bleached by the sun over time though and turn more gray.
My thing is has it always been like this or something new to add extra binder?

silverback1065

Quote from: MikeCL on November 06, 2016, 10:25:03 PM

i believe it depends on the project.  but if this is done a lot, you get situations where the road is almost equal in height as the curb, which causes the municipality to have to raise the curb (if they're competent).  i've seen situations where they mill say, 2" off, and replace with 2" of surface and binder, this will cause the new surface to be higher than the old. 

MikeCL

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 06, 2016, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on November 06, 2016, 10:25:03 PM

i believe it depends on the project.  but if this is done a lot, you get situations where the road is almost equal in height as the curb, which causes the municipality to have to raise the curb (if they're competent).  i've seen situations where they mill say, 2" off, and replace with 2" of surface and binder, this will cause the new surface to be higher than the old.
I was happy they did the street I live on I'm not sure why but it was as slick as ice when it had any type of water on it with the re-pavement it far better less rocks in it I see

TEG24601

It does appear to be greatly influenced by the aggregate or binder.  In Washington, SR-20, through the North Cascades is colored Red, because they used the rock they blasted to build the road, to make the asphalt.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Rothman

In southeastern Idaho, pavement can get a red color due to their using lava as a snow/ice treatment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Better question is why does Florida's asphalt start out black and then turn white after a few years?  I always thought it was the sun bleaching it, but I have seen some paving projects use a different texture asphalt that retain the black colore even after 20 years.

Of course back to the OP, not all states are standard state wide either.  FL is red textured in the Panhandle while the main Peninsula is the black that turns white.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Revive 755

Quote from: roadman65 on November 08, 2016, 05:19:33 PM
Better question is why does Florida's asphalt start out black and then turn white after a few years?  I always thought it was the sun bleaching it, but I have seen some paving projects use a different texture asphalt that retain the black colore even after 20 years.

I believe it has something to do with oxidation and the material ratios - particularly with the amount of binder and recycled materials - in the asphalt mix.

Gnutella

Is it just me, or does Missouri use very large rocks in their asphalt aggregate?

US71

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 31, 2016, 11:20:39 AM
I've been wondering this for a while, so I thought I'd ask you guys.  Why is it that some states have different colored asphalt?  What causes this?  I've noticed that Mississippi's asphalt is sometimes red.  What causes this, the aggregate?  An admixture?

I know some of Oklahoma's older roads are reddish looking. Maybe has something to do with the iron content of the gravel used?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 08, 2016, 10:29:52 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 08, 2016, 05:19:33 PM

I believe it has something to do with oxidation and the material ratios - particularly with the amount of binder and recycled materials - in the asphalt mix.

There's lots of shell rock, coral, and limestone in most of Florida's pavement. It really bleaches over time like almost nowhere else, but get get a closer look, and the sharp texture reveals the ocean's skeletal bounty.

I suppose it depends on how it fades or how much recycled material is used. A buddy of mine who used to be in the paving industry told me it's very close to 100% nowadays.

Alabama, Mississippi, and southwestern Tennessee seem to have lot of red in their pavement, though it differs from place to place as the oil and layers wear down. Oklahoma and Arkansas also have some reddish pavement.

I've seen some blue, purple, and greenish tints in sporadic locations around the country.

wriddle082

In Georgia and the Carolinas, with the high granite content in the aggregate, you can see sparkles in the pavement when the sun hits it just right.

mrcmc888

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 10, 2018, 07:55:59 PM
In Georgia and the Carolinas, with the high granite content in the aggregate, you can see sparkles in the pavement when the sun hits it just right.

Tennessee has that as well.  One thing I've noticed with East Tennessee asphalt is that it seemingly never fades.  It takes years for a freshly-paved section of road to bleach into even dark gray.

adventurernumber1

Most of the time I see the typical black and grey asphalt, and white and yellow and tan concrete, but fairly often I have seen unusual colors for pavements as well.

The most prominent examples of this are the almost-white-colored asphalt many places in Florida, and the brown and red colored asphalt all over the place in states like Tennessee and Mississippi. My parents told me that each of these respective occurrences were because Florida used sand in their pavement and Tennessee used clay in their pavement, but someone here would have to confirm that information. In TN, for example, it is quite typical for an asphalt road to be resurfaced (or paved for the first time if it is new) looking black, but then by the time a few years passes it may usually be either grey or red/brown (if it is a road that has a brownish color to it, it will usually show up by the time a few years pass). My home state of Georgia almost never has very unusual colors with any of their pavements (at least on main roads), but the most prominent example of an oddity regarding that (that no longer exists) was several years ago when a short section of Georgia Highway 201 in Whitfield County had brownish asphalt not unlike that found prominently in Tennessee, until it was resurfaced in Fall 2014. This coloring was more evident closer to 2014 before it was resurfaced (at the end of its life), but here is 2008 GMSV showcasing this: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8779177,-84.9829193,3a,75y,271.2h,88.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svBbage_-yCBe-g7nrPqH0w!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Here is some GMSV showing the reddish-brown asphalt roads often found in the state of Tennessee: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0595731,-85.1927593,3a,75y,340.21h,85.74t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQIj-bY8KNZOHYRXFn-vvnQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQIj-bY8KNZOHYRXFn-vvnQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D93.59545%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Here is some GMSV showing the white-ish asphalt roads often found in the state of Florida: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1291925,-81.125851,3a,75y,35.33h,88.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swH_0ADemz8REI0PxsyeeRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

A lot of the older roads in the Mojave in San Bernardino County in California have a red tinge to them.  My understanding was that the quarry that the materials was mined from had a lot of iron oxide or could have some sort of sand stone mix.  Kelbaker Road comes to mind has having some really red looking secitons.

hotdogPi

Reading, MA has red (about this color) asphalt on some of its minor streets.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.