News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA 28 Construction Updates

Started by PAHighways, November 03, 2009, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

For your viewing pleasure, District 11 has put the recently installed cameras along East Ohio Street online and are available on the history page.

Stay tuned...for the next four years.

Mr_Northside

On a somewhat related note, after taking a bike ride up to Millvale recently, the adjacent bike trail between the 2 bridges is coming along quite nicely.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on September 01, 2010, 02:11:37 PM
For your viewing pleasure, District 11 has put the recently installed cameras along East Ohio Street online and are available on the history page.

Stay tuned...for the next four years.

And all those popup window links are completely broken in IE.  They work in FF, but not in IE.

PAHighways

Works in FireFox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on September 01, 2010, 09:44:47 PM
Works in FireFox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari.

Might want to look into seeing if it can be fixed for IE.  I don't know how many people visit your site in IE, but still, imo, it should be fixed.

PAHighways

I'll look into it at some point when I have time.

PAHighways

PAHighways

I got to see some of the work taking place at the 40th Street Bridge intersection today, and my reaction was WOW!  I hardly recognized 28 now that earth moving operations are taking place along the hillside to widen the ROW, compared to when I was through there back in August before the project began.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take a picture.

Mr_Northside

It probably wasn't even a year ago that new utilities (aerial conduit & fiber for FiOS) were ran between the intersection and the Millvale Industrial area.  At the time I thought "What a waste of time and material", since it all was going to be ripped out (As would any buildings it was to serve).  
They're also excavating further back into the hillside than I thought they would.

Also, as an aside, I give 2 thumbs up to the completed bike/ped "bridge" in between the 31st & 40th St. bridges
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

Since the only times I use Rt. 28 are after rush hour, the construction hasn't actually bothered me too much.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10305/1099699-147.stm

THIS, however, will be a bit of a pain in the ass (but not the end of the world I suppose) any time I want to get to Lawrenceville or Bloomfield.

Mr_Northside

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11073/1131952-147.stm

Even though the project is years from completion, it seems that after this weekend, dealing with the traffic signal @ the 31st St. Bridge will be a thing of the past (with a few possible exceptions)

LeftyJR

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 14, 2011, 03:41:25 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11073/1131952-147.stm

Even though the project is years from completion, it seems that after this weekend, dealing with the traffic signal @ the 31st St. Bridge will be a thing of the past (with a few possible exceptions)

Allelujah!

Fixed quote. - rmf67

Mr_Northside

Got successfully tempted into a deal from Newegg for a camera a couple of days ago.  It arrived, and I figured I'd test it out taking it along for my usual bike ride to Millvale, and get some pictures of the current work on Rt. 28.

I ended up with a dozen photos, that should be accessible here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114555448446942106148

Nothing too fancy: If they show up, these are possibly 2 of the best (not gonna bother posting all 12 in the above album straight to this thread...)

rickmastfan67

Nice pictures.  What type of camera did ya get?

Mr_Northside

I got one of these:
GE A1250 Black 12.2 MP 2.5" 234K LCD 5X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

It was $46.99 with free shipping.  I've had various experiences, some good, some not so good, with "re-certified" stuff before, but figured I'd take a chance. 

Mr_Northside

Decided to bike across the 31st St. Bridge this evening as part of my ride. (despite it being hot & humid as hell).  Got 5 pictures of construction progress from where the bridge is closed @ Rt. 28.

Looking towards downtown:

Looking toward Millvale:

Mr_Northside

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/roadwork/s_751563.html

I can vouch (and will below) that this is happening....

Photos are beams from the Northbound (outbound) Rt. 28 ramp to the 31st St. Bridge.

Stephane Dumas

Interesting to see they used concrete beams instead of steel beams, lots of Quebec overpass are made of concrete beams.

mgk920

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 17, 2011, 07:10:04 AM
Interesting to see they used concrete beams instead of steel beams, lots of Quebec overpass are made of concrete beams.

There are LOTS of pre-stressed concrete beams in use here in Wisconsin, too.

:cool:

Mike

PAHighways

Mr_Northside

A couple of photos of Rt. 28 Progress:

The retaining wall near the 40th St. Bridge has been stained brown.  And it looks like they're putting a fence up on top.

Facing Northbound from the 31st St. Bridge

Facing southbound (towards downtown) from the 31st St. Bridge

PAHighways

PAHighways

Whole New Route 28 Beginning to Emerge Through Construction

The article also includes an interview with the head of PennDOT District 11-0, Dan Cessna, who talks about the work currently taking and will take place.

PAHighways

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on November 23, 2011, 01:26:12 AM
Newly Reconstructed Northbound Route 28 Ramp to 40th Street Bridge Opens Wednesday in Millvale

I wonder if the Right Turn Only restriction (onto the 40th Street Bridge) will still be in place once the ramp is re-opened today.  But odds are it still will be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.