News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Street Sign Name Game

Started by jbnv, March 08, 2017, 09:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jbnv on January 01, 2018, 06:57:18 PM
It's not just a good idea. The jurisdiction matters because the same road cannot be replayed, but different roads with the same name can be played.

So, for example, on the very first play made, I used New York Circle. You consider that separate from if I were to play New York Avenue? If so, that opens up quite a number of names I can use again. :)

AsphaltPlanet

honestly, I find these little power trips so annoying.  The game has been moving along just fine, it hasn't really ever needed any moderation, yet we get these little power trips periodically from someone apparently just trying to show dominance as the thread's OP.

Next letter to be played is "L"
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

MNHighwayMan

I do agree, some of the thread's rules are a bit much–for example, I think it'd be fine if we were allowed name reuse so long as it was always a different picture. I have a lot of Des Moines street sign pictures.

AsphaltPlanet

It's not even that.  I get that the purpose of the thread is to not re-use street names.  I generally search the thread before submitting a new name.  But I mean, if a duplicate slipped through, I'm sure the world won't explode.  Also, I think both the internet or the forum, or even the thread would continue to exist if one did inadvertently slip through.  This game is supposed to be fun, I'm all for the rules, but they needn't be enforced by the gestapo.  Particularly during instances where the game is humming along just fine.

Right now though, I'll just be waiting in earnest for someone else to play either another Telecom or Ballyduff Road from rural Ontario.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

oscar

Tunnel Rd. => Landover Road (Landover MD), photo taken yesterday:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jbnv on January 01, 2018, 06:57:18 PM
Quote from: oscar on December 27, 2017, 09:20:10 AM
Where is this Roy Rogers Rd.? A Roy Rogers Rd. in Oregon has already been played, and if it's the same road it can't be replayed. My guess is that this one is far enough away to be a different road.

You and everyone else should specify (as best you can) the locations of the signs you post.

It's not just a good idea. The jurisdiction matters because the same road cannot be replayed, but different roads with the same name can be played. There are a bunch of recent plays that have virtually no visual cue as to the jurisdiction. It's not good enough to force us to guess. If you don't mark the jurisdiction, you can easily play the same road over and over again by posting different pictures.

AsphaltPlanet and Hurricane Rex, please go back to your previous posts and add the jurisdictions for the roads you played. Henceforth, if you do not include the jurisdiction on your plays, I will invalidate them immediately.

I did to what I could remember where each location was. Also, I've only seen from page 75 and beyond because I've existed here for a month. I need to find the time to look back.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2018, 07:42:49 PM
I do agree, some of the thread's rules are a bit much–for example, I think it'd be fine if we were allowed name reuse so long as it was always a different picture. I have a lot of Des Moines street sign pictures.

With conclusive evidence, I 100% agree, but I'm not in any position to change or request a change for the next century to this thread.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

oscar

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 02, 2018, 04:31:13 AM
I did to what I could remember where each location was. Also, I've only seen from page 75 and beyond because I've existed here for a month. I need to find the time to look back.

Use the search box, in the upper right corner of the page. If you're in this thread, typing in something like "Rogers" will show where that word appears, but only in this thread.

AsphaltPlanet

jbnv

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 01, 2018, 07:25:15 PM
honestly, I find these little power trips so annoying.  The game has been moving along just fine, it hasn't really ever needed any moderation, yet we get these little power trips periodically from someone apparently just trying to show dominance as the thread's OP.

You want a cop? You want a power trip? Here you go. You're henceforth banned from my game.

I think I have been quite reasonable regarding the rules. And if you seriously want to argue that I'm on a power trip, consider my Delaware play earlier. I violated my own rule, I was called out on it, and I retracted my play. If you can find a case where I enforced a rule for someone but not for myself, please show it to me.

I haven't even been in the game that much recently for reasons I don't care to discuss. I certainly have better things to do with my life than police a single thread on someone else's discussion board.

In the meantime, if everyone includes the jurisdiction of the street on their posts, then it will be very easy to figure out if a street has already been played. Just use the forum search. I've played several streets with the same name and it hasn't been a problem for me. Asking people to include the jurisdiction is hardly a "power trip" move when it makes the game both easier and more interesting for most people involved.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2018, 07:42:49 PM

If I allowed that, you'd just play the same few streets over and over again. I think limiting to one play per street with jurisdiction is quite reasonable to keep the game interesting.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2018, 07:15:59 PM
So, for example, on the very first play made, I used New York Circle. You consider that separate from if I were to play New York Avenue? If so, that opens up quite a number of names I can use again. :)

Yes. If it's a separate street in the same jurisdiction that happens to have the same name but a different suffix, it's still playable. Just make sure that you point out that it's a separate street.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

AsphaltPlanet

oscar

Rolling back to R, with another photo from the holiday weekend.

Roxford => Delmar Road (Mardela Springs MD):

AsphaltPlanet

Delmar -> Renforth:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_347-5_east_C_Jul15_24x16.jpg

I'm actually surprised this one hasn't been played, I always figured that 7/8 had previously used it, but it appears not

jbnv

Since AsphaltPlanet apparently isn't going to be a good sport about this and tag his posts with the jurisdictions as requested;

Since he's calling my bluff on banning him (which is a good call since I don't have moderator powers);

Since he probably is going to ignore any ruling or direction that I give him anyway;

Ruling: From this point, AsphaltPlanet's posts do not count towards the game. Anyone can override his plays with a valid play on the street on which he played. Anyone can reuse a street that he played.

Ruling: From this point, any picture that doesn't clearly indicate the jurisdiction for the road, either explicitly or through an obvious indicator in the picture played,  is not a valid play and can be overridden or reused.

If you have any questions about these rulings or any other rules, feel free to ask.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

AsphaltPlanet

oscar

AsphaltPlanet's post has location info, with an image address indicating the province and highway, and the image itself showing the exit number on that highway. Not raising the concerns re: the Roy Rogers Rd. photo that bothered me, where an internet search was needed to confirm that it was in a different state from the one already played.

Renforth Dr. => South Hill Street (Alexandria VA):

AsphaltPlanet

Hill -> L

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/805/I805_CA_dv_6-1_south_Apr17_24x16.png

Just so it's known, there is no scenario where I stop posting in this thread.  Frankly this entire situation is pretty stupid, as mentioned above, my posts always have location information in them -- and they have consistently from day one.  If you want to do something constructive for this thread, play the game.

7/8

Quote from: oscar on January 02, 2018, 08:34:05 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 02, 2018, 04:31:13 AM

Use the search box, in the upper right corner of the page. If you're in this thread, typing in something like "Rogers" will show where that word appears, but only in this thread.

Damn, I wish I knew that sooner. I've been doing forum wide searches with my username to make sure I'm not posting the same street twice, and then hoping I'm not doing one someone else posted. Now this thread seems way more reasonable!

------

L Street to Lohr Road (on US 15 in Thurmont, MD)

7/8

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 02, 2018, 02:41:16 PM
Delmar -> Renforth:

I'm actually surprised this one hasn't been played, I always figured that 7/8 had previously used it, but it appears not

I've posted a photo along that same stretch of road that has both the 427 and Renforth Dr, but I guess I forgot to use it in this thread. I often try and use my newer photos first, so I probably have lots of playable options in older photos if I looked.

oscar

Lohr Rd. => Riverton Wharf Road (Riverton MD):

AsphaltPlanet

River Warf -> Foxboro-Stirling:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_60-69_images/62_sign_Foxboro-Stirling_north_Aug08_lg.jpg

Pretty sad name for the former Ontario Highway 14, on Hwy 62 north of Belleville.

oscar

Foxboro-Stirling Rd. => Grand Avenue (York NE), photo played a long time ago for Naomi Rd.:

AsphaltPlanet

Grand -> Dumais:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/640/A640_dv_44-9_east_Sep17_24x16.jpg

During a resurfacing contract on Autoroute 640 to the northeast of Montreal

oscar

Montée Dumais => Skeet Club Road (Hurlock MD):

AsphaltPlanet

Scott5114

Quote from: jbnv on January 02, 2018, 10:41:45 AM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 01, 2018, 07:25:15 PM

You want a cop? You want a power trip? Here you go. You're henceforth banned from my game.

The OP of a thread has no right to exclude members in good standing from a thread, game or not. Banning members is the sole jurisdiction of the staff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.